Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By BigCiX

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 56
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Copy and Paste doesn't work in browsers

So with every 3rd party browser I've tried, I cannot copy and paste. I've tried Firefox, Firefox Beta, Firefox nightly build, and Chrome. The menu appears at the top, but when I tap on copy, it does nothing.

As a side issue, I have a hard time pasting in my email app. The paste button disappears before I can tap it.

Any suggestions for either problem?

rxmxsh is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BigCiX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 3,457
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: at&t

Thanks: 39
Thanked 341 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Try dolphin hd.
MalikBear and smashedrat2010 like this.
__________________
I hate pg&e!!!!
BigCiX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 56
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
Try dolphin hd.
Will do. But do you have any idea why a main browser wouldn't work?
rxmxsh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BigCiX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 3,457
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: at&t

Thanks: 39
Thanked 341 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmxsh View Post
Will do. But do you have any idea why a main browser wouldn't work?
Not sure. I have yet to play around with a SG III. I have a One X.
BigCiX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
davoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London
Posts: 1,640
 
Device(s): Galaxy SIII
Carrier: 3UK

Thanks: 610
Thanked 568 Times in 432 Posts
Default

I just tried copying in Chrome and it worked. I'm not sure what you mean by 'it did nothing' - did the highlighted text just remain highlighted or did the highlight disappear as it would if it had been copied?

As to the second issue, the paste popup remains on screen for a couple of seconds - are you taking your time deciding whether you want to click paste or clipboard?

If your paste popup is lasting the same duration as mine I would advise being a bit quicker
davoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 56
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davoid View Post
I just tried copying in Chrome and it worked. I'm not sure what you mean by 'it did nothing' - did the highlighted text just remain highlighted or did the highlight disappear as it would if it had been copied?

As to the second issue, the paste popup remains on screen for a couple of seconds - are you taking your time deciding whether you want to click paste or clipboard?

If your paste popup is lasting the same duration as mine I would advise being a bit quicker

The text is no longer highlighted, but th copy icon doesn't light up as if it was tapped. It's as if I tapped anywhere else except for button. I am tapping directly on the button, so that's not the issue.

The second issue - the popup just flickers. It doesn't stay on screen like it does within other apps.
rxmxsh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Doit2it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,956
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII, ASUS Transformer TF101
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 151
Thanked 459 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmxsh View Post
So with every 3rd party browser I've tried, I cannot copy and paste. I've tried Firefox, Firefox Beta, Firefox nightly build, and Chrome. The menu appears at the top, but when I tap on copy, it does nothing.

As a side issue, I have a hard time pasting in my email app. The paste button disappears before I can tap it.

Any suggestions for either problem?

You have to select the text you want to copy before you tap copy at the top of the screen.

For pasting, are you longpressing in a text imput field then trying to press the paste menu that pops up above the text field?
__________________
Apps on my SIII
OK, I admit it, I'm a Twit
Dropbox! 2Gb free cloud storage
SIII - CleanROM 7 BMF1 / TF101 - KatKiss 4.4.2
Doit2it is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 56
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
You have to select the text you want to copy before you tap copy at the top of the screen.

For pasting, are you longpressing in a text imput field then trying to press the paste menu that pops up above the text field?
Yes to both of these. Right now the Firefox nightly build is the only browser (besides stock) that works as it should.
rxmxsh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln, England
Posts: 1,939
 
Device(s): Apple iPhone 5 64GB (iOS 6.0.1), Apple iPad 2 16GB (iOS 6.0.1), Nexus 7 (Android 4.2 Jelly Bean)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 121
Thanked 380 Times in 251 Posts
Default

Stupid question, but are you tapping the right button? Can you take a screenshot and edit it to show us which one you're tapping?
__________________
iPhone 5 (iOS 6.0.1), iPad 2 (iOS 6.0.1), Nexus 7 (Android 4.2 Jelly Bean)
matttye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 56
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Stupid question, but are you tapping the right button? Can you take a screenshot and edit it to show us which one you're tapping?
I was using nova launcher at the time. I've since switched to Apex and my issue has been resolved. Both were/are paid versions. That's the only variable that has changed.

Thank you all for your help!
rxmxsh is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
gabquintero09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 73
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

It works on the regular browser for the GS3 man, it just takes a while.. It usually takes about 3-4 clicks for it to pop up on my screen..

Just click it a couple of times and hold your finger on the text till the copy icon appears..
gabquintero09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 56
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabquintero09 View Post
It works on the regular browser for the GS3 man, it just takes a while.. It usually takes about 3-4 clicks for it to pop up on my screen..

Just click it a couple of times and hold your finger on the text till the copy icon appears..
Right on. I was able to get it to work with the stock browser and the nightly build of firefox.

Now that I am using apex all of my browsers work.
rxmxsh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I no longer have a paste icon, I have a clipboard icon but no paste. Also with Swift3 Keyboard on I could not (when it was working) paste in an email. Not sure what is going on.
FlaRider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 56
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I no longer have a paste icon, I have a clipboard icon but no paste. Also with Swift3 Keyboard on I could not (when it was working) paste in an email. Not sure what is going on.
Interesting. I also use SwiftKey 3 and email can be dicey.
rxmxsh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 16
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I no longer have a paste icon, I have a clipboard icon but no paste. Also with Swift3 Keyboard on I could not (when it was working) paste in an email. Not sure what is going on.
I also have this issue. Happens w/ Swype Beta, Swiftkey, and Samsung Keyboard. I will copy text in a browser, email , or a text and rather than have a paste option, only get the clipboard option. Also, if I tap clipboard, nothing happens.

Attached the screenshot of my copy, and then also my clipboard choice.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2012-08-01-22-29-04.png (31.3 KB, 559 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2012-08-01-22-29-27.png (71.2 KB, 563 views)
metnix1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 16
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Anyone?
metnix1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

I'm having the same issue. It just stopped allowing me to cut and paste... And I get the clip board option and the quickly disappearing paste button in the email app. I am using swiftkey3,but it happens with Al of the other keyboards I have tried.

No solution, eh?
MidnightRun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Samsung Galaxy SIII user here..
I wasn't having this problem (I used copy/paste quite often) until about 2 weeks ago. Now whenever I select text and press copy the app will freeze and close - it doesn't make it to the clipboard because I've tried pasting afterwards and there's nothing to paste.
It first happened when I was using Chrome so I thought it might have been a bug there - so I attempted using the default Internet app and the same thing happened, it would freeze, close and the error message would pop up saying the app stopped working.

I'm using Swype as the input keyboard so I considered that might be the problem - I switched back to the Samsung keyboard and the same thing happened.

I've tried hard resets and I did the firmware update last night - no change. I'm close to throwing this thing against a wall... argh.

Any updates from anyone who might have found a solution?
subberz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Exactly the same with my galaxy tab with new frimeware.... Does not work in any browser or any other text app. Please, someone help us!
josuka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
barryl85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Larkhall, Scotland
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Thanks: 35
Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Copy / Paste broken here too
barryl85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 19
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Had the same problem only thing that fixed it was a factory reset
Sam000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
barryl85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Larkhall, Scotland
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Thanks: 35
Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam000 View Post
Had the same problem only thing that fixed it was a factory reset
Yip, I have done this but the problem has returned and I am not willing to do another factory reset.
barryl85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): SIII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I also have this problem!!

I can't copy and paste at all. I used to be able to: but I can't any more. Maybe it is an app or development feature? Or simply a bug from Samsung if so...

Will the new Jelly Bean update fix the problem?

I feel like crying phone is basically non-functional without copy and paste.

Edit the thread title: copy and paste issues on S3
Why Exist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subberz View Post
Samsung Galaxy SIII user here..
I wasn't having this problem (I used copy/paste quite often) until about 2 weeks ago. Now whenever I select text and press copy the app will freeze and close - it doesn't make it to the clipboard because I've tried pasting afterwards and there's nothing to paste.
It first happened when I was using Chrome so I thought it might have been a bug there - so I attempted using the default Internet app and the same thing happened, it would freeze, close and the error message would pop up saying the app stopped working.

I'm using Swype as the input keyboard so I considered that might be the problem - I switched back to the Samsung keyboard and the same thing happened.

I've tried hard resets and I did the firmware update last night - no change. I'm close to throwing this thing against a wall... argh.

Any updates from anyone who might have found a solution?
Just an update:
After trying everything I could think of I gave up and just did a factory reset. That seems to have fixed whatever it was that broke before. Wish I had better news, but as long as you backup everything you'll be fine.
subberz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default impossible to paste in Android Browser

I just bought an asus TF700 and I can't paste in the Android browser. It works fine with other apps and even works in Chrome but not with the Android Browser. It works well on Android browser of my Motorola Xoom but not on the one of my new Asus TF700. Can't understand why it works on one tablet but not the other. Is it not the same Android which are both Ice Cream Sandwich.

Need some explaination about this

Marco
chauffeurmarco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
nailzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 438
 
Device(s): Samsung GS3 SCHR530, Hisense Sero 7 Pro (root)
Carrier: metroPCS

Thanks: 30
Thanked 64 Times in 51 Posts
Default

No problems copy or pasting in Opera Mobile or the stock Samsung text message program.
nailzer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dan55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,275
 
Device(s): Neat aosp
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 299
Thanked 142 Times in 129 Posts
Default

I just tried this in chrome and it crashed the phone!
dan55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
nailzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 438
 
Device(s): Samsung GS3 SCHR530, Hisense Sero 7 Pro (root)
Carrier: metroPCS

Thanks: 30
Thanked 64 Times in 51 Posts
Default

I just installed Chrome and cut and paste doesn't work correctly. It's the program, not the phone's problem.
nailzer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ankara, Turkey
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Samsung i9300 Galaxy S3
Carrier: Turkcell

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to canyildiz
Default

I had same crash problem on my Galaxy S3 before JellyBean (4.1.1). When ı was trying to copy or cut something it was crashing. After 4.1.1 update now it's not crashing when I copy/cut something but not pasting to anywhere (even into S Memo). When I click long to see "Paste" option it only shows "Clipboard" option and when I click to it it only disappears. I couldn't find any solution for that? Did anyone find some solution??
canyildiz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S III
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale!
Samsung Galaxy S III

  The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the company's flagship device of 2012. As one of the most anticipated devices of the year, this device is the first to come with a Exynos 4 Quad processor. It also has Android 4.0, a 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.