Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree8Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Can not use Bluetooth when audio jack is plugged in

I use my phone to play podcasts through the AUX input in my car. Bluetooth connects, but when I get a phone call, there is no audio through the Bluetooth -- I can dial and pick up the phone from the car Bluetooth controls, but I can not hear the caller; they can not hear me. Instead of being able to use the hands-free feature actually hands-free, in order to talk to the caller, I must fumble with the phone and unplug the AUX jack from the phone before Bluetooth audio will work.

This worked perfectly fine with my old HTC Evo. I picked the Samsung Galaxy S3 over the HTC LTE for my upgrade; I'm beginning to wonder if that was a mistake.

Mike Van Pelt is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Hope this is not the case. That would be a deal killer for me.

Is your car bluetooth connected with a2dp or just phone audio? If a2dp, then that would probably explain it.
sorka is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sorka For This Useful Post:
jennay22 (August 15th, 2012)
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
liteon163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 222
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Doesn't the call work through the stereo? I'd think you'd be able to hear the caller over you car speakers. And they'd hear you like on speakerphone.

Hmm... Interesting. I'll have to try it when I get my Verizon SGS3 next week.
liteon163 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 100
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 56 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I have a issue like that in my 2011 Nissan Murano. I cannot get the phone to do calls and media at the same time. If I do only one it works great, but I cannot have both active of the same time. If I'm playing music and get a call it rings on the head set and It doesn't let me take the call on bt. I have to go to the phone bt settings and pair it when I start my car, it's really annoying but the phone call quality is the best of any phone I have had when it's working. I'm hoping this is fixed in a future firmware update soon. In the mean time I only use it as a phone and no longer stream music with it.
newtoandroid99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

My car stereo doesn't do a2dp. I'm just Bluetooth connected for the phone audio, plus the steering-wheel buttons to pick up and hang up.

And no, it does not play the phone audio through the stereo. Nor does it pick up through the phone's microphone. It's complete dead silence on both ends when Bluetooth-connected and the phone plugged in to the AUX jack.

If this can not work, this is a deal killer for me. By California law I can turn the phone back in within a couple of weeks, and I most certainly will if I can not use it to both play podcasts and talk on the phone using the hands-free. As far as I am concerned, such a limitation is a completely unacceptable defect.
Mike Van Pelt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 02:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Default

My droid x works oppositely. I have a prius and when I answer or make a call via bluetooth, it mutes the audio coming out of the headphone jack.

You might consider trying the infuse car dock. It uses the line level output instead of the headphone output and someone mentioned in another thread that when they were on a call, the audio muted from the line out which they didn't want but seemed to me the desired behavior.
sorka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 02:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Well, I talked to Samsung's phone tech support, and, at least according to the first-level tech support person, you can not use Bluetooth when anything is plugged in to the headphone jack.

Massively disappointing.

I sent email to Samsung tech support via their web page. I hope that someone more knowledgeable has a solution. If not, this phone is going to be returned, and I will be getting a HTC Evo LTE instead. If it really works this way and there is no acceptable workaround, I consider it a fatal defect.

The HTC Evo just works the way it ought to work -- listening to a downloaded podcast, a phone call comes in, I hit the off-hook button on the steering wheel, and Google Listen *pauses* the podcast, while I take the call. Then it resumes when I hang up. I would assume the LTE works the same way. (But then I assumed any phone from any major manufacturer would work this way. Why would anyone consider making anything that didn't?)

(Taking both hands off the wheel to physically unplug the phone from the AUX cable whenever I get a call is not an acceptable workaround.)
SirKronan likes this.
Mike Van Pelt is offline  
Last edited by Mike Van Pelt; July 5th, 2012 at 02:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 131
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I've had a SGS2 and Note, with both, if I got a call over my Parrot BT system, I couldnt actually hear/talk until I removed the headphone jack. I could answer and it would hold the call until I disconnected. Pretty sure the SGS3 is working just as previous models have.. not to say that's good, but consistent. :/
Tware is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

The "email tech support" person just sent back a "call the 800 support number to resolve this".

So I did. Again, first-level tech support reading from a script, as far as she knows, this phone can not walk and chew gum at the same time. You either use the phone strictly as a podcast player with no telephone capability (with aux jack plugged in) or you use it strictly as a phone without the ability to play downloaded audio material (aux jack unplugged.) "Maybe" there's "some third party app" that will do this, but Samsung disavows all knowledge of any such thing.

I clicked "very dis-satisfied with this response" on the email... I really want to get some response from someone in tech support at Samsung who really knows. I don't get the feeling that I'm talking to anyone that's doing more than reading from a script on the tech support phone line. Surely this phone is not so horribly crippled as I'm being led to believe.

But if I don't get a "Yes, here's how to do it" answer by this weekend, the phone is going back, and I'm going to get an HTC. I know that their phones are capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. (Or, at least, alternating between the two tasks without requiring cable plugging and unplugging.)

It's really annoying... because other than this fatal defect, I really like this phone. But this defect is one I just can not live with.
Mike Van Pelt is offline  
Last edited by Mike Van Pelt; July 5th, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Van Pelt View Post
Well, I talked to Samsung's phone tech support, and, at least according to the first-level tech support person, you can not use Bluetooth when anything is plugged in to the headphone jack.

Massively disappointing.

I sent email to Samsung tech support via their web page. I hope that someone more knowledgeable has a solution. If not, this phone is going to be returned, and I will be getting a HTC Evo LTE instead. If it really works this way and there is no acceptable workaround, I consider it a fatal defect.

The HTC Evo just works the way it ought to work -- listening to a downloaded podcast, a phone call comes in, I hit the off-hook button on the steering wheel, and Google Listen *pauses* the podcast, while I take the call. Then it resumes when I hang up. I would assume the LTE works the same way. (But then I assumed any phone from any major manufacturer would work this way. Why would anyone consider making anything that didn't?)

(Taking both hands off the wheel to physically unplug the phone from the AUX cable whenever I get a call is not an acceptable workaround.)
I'd try the dock first before returning it. The phone can't detect when the 3.5 mm connector is plugged into the line out jack, so it shouldn't do anything to the bluetooth. You'll also get better audio quality as the voltage is correct for aux inputs.

Still, it's pretty massive defect as it is.
sorka is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Well, I decided to try the "support via Facebook" link, and amazingly enough, I got someone at Samsung who went off-script. He said he'd look into it. That's the first promising response from Samsung so far. I don't hink I want to spend a lot of accessories until I know the phone will work for me. What is this dock that you use? Is it something from Samsung, or somewhere else?
Mike Van Pelt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 16
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Van Pelt View Post
Well, I talked to Samsung's phone tech support, and, at least according to the first-level tech support person, you can not use Bluetooth when anything is plugged in to the headphone jack.

Massively disappointing.

I sent email to Samsung tech support via their web page. I hope that someone more knowledgeable has a solution. If not, this phone is going to be returned, and I will be getting a HTC Evo LTE instead. If it really works this way and there is no acceptable workaround, I consider it a fatal defect.

The HTC Evo just works the way it ought to work -- listening to a downloaded podcast, a phone call comes in, I hit the off-hook button on the steering wheel, and Google Listen *pauses* the podcast, while I take the call. Then it resumes when I hang up. I would assume the LTE works the same way. (But then I assumed any phone from any major manufacturer would work this way. Why would anyone consider making anything that didn't?)

(Taking both hands off the wheel to physically unplug the phone from the AUX cable whenever I get a call is not an acceptable workaround.)

Hi,

The same problem with the Epic Touch 4G I used to have on Sprint. It is supposedly a Samsung safety issue. The only work around is to get a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into your AUX jack on your car. Luckily there is a brand new product by HTC that is about the size of a USB stick. It is rechargeable and has a 5 hour battery life or you can keep it plugged into a car charger with its micro usb port. It is Bluetooth 4.0 and works perfectly. You just pair your phone to your car and the HTC Bluetooth Stereo gateway and you don't have to worry about using the AUX cable. I have had to use this setup with all of my Samsung phones. I used an old Blackberry Stereo Gateway before, but this solution is much more compact and portable. You can purchase this online or at a Sprint corporate store. It is about $60, but is future proof with having Bluetooth 4.0. Hope this helps you out.
You might have to manually pair your phone with the HTC adapter when you get in your car. The phone should pair with your car bluetooth automatically, but what I have noticed is not many of the new smartphones are able to pair to two different bluetooth devices that have different pin codes. Your car is probaby 1234 and the HTC device is 0000. That is the only thing I have noticed, but I don't have my SIII yet so can't confirm if it will pair with both automatically. It might since it has the bluetooth 4.0 stack.
Mike Van Pelt likes this.
techgeek32 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
It is supposedly a Samsung safety issue.
Because it is ever so much safer to fumble with the phone, and steer with your knees and elbows while you use both hands to unplug the cable from the phone than it is to just press the little "Answer" button on the steering wheel.

Yeah, I can imagine lawyers thinking that way.

I may go with the A2DP gateway thing, if the phone can pair with both. The guy on the Samsung support page on Facebook hasn't gotten back to me yet, but it's been less than a day. I was planning on returning the phone on Sunday if I couldn't get anything from Samsung, but since this guy did actually respond to what I was saying, and said he'd check, I'll give it a few more days.

It's a really nice phone otherwise, and I'd hate to have to give it up.
Mike Van Pelt is offline  
Last edited by Mike Van Pelt; July 7th, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Van Pelt For This Useful Post:
SirKronan (July 11th, 2012)
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln, England
Posts: 1,939
 
Device(s): Apple iPhone 5 64GB (iOS 6.0.1), Apple iPad 2 16GB (iOS 6.0.1), Nexus 7 (Android 4.2 Jelly Bean)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 121
Thanked 380 Times in 251 Posts
Default

I suspect it might be your particular Bluetooth. A few people have reported problems with built in car Bluetooth.

I have a "super tooth buddy" which works well. My phone isn't without it's share of problems, but it works fine in the sense that you're talking about.

- phone connected via Bluetooth to st buddy.
- phone connected via 3.5mm cable to stereo to listen to music.
- command button on st buddy starts s voice, or answers an incoming call.
- both parties can speak to and hear the other side.

Do you or anyone you know have another headset lying around that you can try?

The other possible problem might be this, and this affects me:

Every time I turn the Bluetooth headset off, or turn off Bluetooth on the phone, the next time I connect to the headset it won't do anything. Pressing the command button does nothing even though the devices are paired. I have to reboot the phone to get it to work again.

Hope Samsung fixes it in a firmware update
__________________
iPhone 5 (iOS 6.0.1), iPad 2 (iOS 6.0.1), Nexus 7 (Android 4.2 Jelly Bean)
matttye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
pflol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oahu / Hawaii
Posts: 347
 
Device(s): Epic 4G + Xoom Wifi
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Default

I have this same problem it's extremely irritating. I had zero problems on my Galaxy s 1 (epic 4g). So stupid that you have to unplug the aux cable every single time.
SirKronan likes this.
pflol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 53
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Hey Guys,
In the BT settings, under the paired devices, please 'check box' 'call audio' , this ensures that you receive and make calls thru your car stereo.

Hope this helps.
shivram100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
pflol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oahu / Hawaii
Posts: 347
 
Device(s): Epic 4G + Xoom Wifi
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivram100 View Post
Hey Guys,
In the BT settings, under the paired devices, please 'check box' 'call audio' , this ensures that you receive and make calls thru your car stereo.

Hope this helps.
Yeah. Its been checked. It just doesn't use the bluetooth if an aux cable is connected. Guess I'm back to using my tablet for pandora in the car :\.
pflol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Galaxy S3 Defaults to Headphone Jack, Car Defaults to Bluetooth

I just picked up the Galaxy S3 yesterday, and my car won't answer Bluetooth calls. My phone is paired with the car, but I'm listening to my music on my phone (through the headphone jack), and when I get a call my phone defaults to the headphone jack and my car to the bluetooth. I'd appreciate if anyone can help.

I'm coming from the original Evo, and it always defaulted to Bluetooth, it was so nice. I'm within my 14 days at Sprint, and am considering returning the GS3 to switch to the LTE, based on this problem alone.

Does anyone have any insight?
dansftown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SirKronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a house
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Droid Eris, Droid X, Fascinate (Galaxy S), LTE Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 244
Thanked 197 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
Hi,

The same problem with the Epic Touch 4G I used to have on Sprint. It is supposedly a Samsung safety issue. The only work around is to get a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into your AUX jack on your car. Luckily there is a brand new product by HTC that is about the size of a USB stick. It is rechargeable and has a 5 hour battery life or you can keep it plugged into a car charger with its micro usb port. It is Bluetooth 4.0 and works perfectly. You just pair your phone to your car and the HTC Bluetooth Stereo gateway and you don't have to worry about using the AUX cable. I have had to use this setup with all of my Samsung phones. I used an old Blackberry Stereo Gateway before, but this solution is much more compact and portable. You can purchase this online or at a Sprint corporate store. It is about $60, but is future proof with having Bluetooth 4.0. Hope this helps you out.
You might have to manually pair your phone with the HTC adapter when you get in your car. The phone should pair with your car bluetooth automatically, but what I have noticed is not many of the new smartphones are able to pair to two different bluetooth devices that have different pin codes. Your car is probaby 1234 and the HTC device is 0000. That is the only thing I have noticed, but I don't have my SIII yet so can't confirm if it will pair with both automatically. It might since it has the bluetooth 4.0 stack.
When you stream your music via bluetooth vs. connecting with an audio cable, you lose a good bit of your lower frequencies. In addition, it is definitely NOT safer to have to disconnect a cable (taking hands AND eyes off the road) just to answer a call. What's the point of HANDS FREE?

In addition, my friends AT&T Galaxy 3 does NOT have this problem. Neither did his SGSII, and neither does my Galaxy Nexus. This is indeed a FATAL FLAW.

Note - I have the Verizon SGS III. This will be a deal breaker if not fixed.

Edit: I had my friends test his AT&T SGS III on the spot, too, and he confirms it works fine. His truck has an audio jack, like most modern vehicles and after market head units, and when he receives a call it goes to the bluetooth, no problem.

Why in the hell would I connect a bluetooth headset AFTER connecting an audio cable and playing music on it UNLESS I wanted to TAKE CALLS with the bluetooth. I had this same issue with my Fascinate. I did NOT have this issue with my HTC Eris (even though it was kind of a piece of junk...), Droid X, or Galaxy Nexus. This is not a safety feature, it's a legitimate safety issue, and more people need to make a stink about this. I am going to return it for sure if there is no resolution. I am not going to deal with a "Fascinate 2". You can get a ticket in my state for fumbling with your phone while driving. That's why we connect a damn bluetooth headset!!!!
SirKronan is offline  
Last edited by SirKronan; July 11th, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntsville, AL
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Google Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Does anyone know if this is a hardware or software issue?

Would it be possible to write an app or mod to the system (once root is available) that would make the phone think that there wasn't an audio jack plugged in if a call is received while connected via bluetooth?
rkv3434 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
Posts: 233
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy S3, ASUS Transformer TF101
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Default

I am using the line out feature for the Infuse 4G dock that has the 3.5mm jack on the rear of the dock. You have to go to dock settings and change it to use external speakers while docked. I was able to take a Bluetooth call this am while listening to Pandora on the way to work. Pandora muted and the call came in fine. So the phone audio is going over bluetooth (through my stereo and the built in mic in the truck and the stereo music is going through my aux. I have to go this route because my Trucks BT only supports Phone Audio NOT A2DP.
Ches111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ches111 For This Useful Post:
SirKronan (July 11th, 2012)
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SirKronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a house
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Droid Eris, Droid X, Fascinate (Galaxy S), LTE Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 244
Thanked 197 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ches111 View Post
I am using the line out feature for the Infuse 4G dock that has the 3.5mm jack on the rear of the dock. You have to go to dock settings and change it to use external speakers while docked. I was able to take a Bluetooth call this am while listening to Pandora on the way to work. Pandora muted and the call came in fine. So the phone audio is going over bluetooth (through my stereo and the built in mic in the truck and the stereo music is going through my aux. I have to go this route because my Trucks BT only supports Phone Audio NOT A2DP.
Same here! I'll give that a try. Thank you.
SirKronan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SirKronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a house
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Droid Eris, Droid X, Fascinate (Galaxy S), LTE Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 244
Thanked 197 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ches111 View Post
I am using the line out feature for the Infuse 4G dock that has the 3.5mm jack on the rear of the dock. You have to go to dock settings and change it to use external speakers while docked. I was able to take a Bluetooth call this am while listening to Pandora on the way to work. Pandora muted and the call came in fine. So the phone audio is going over bluetooth (through my stereo and the built in mic in the truck and the stereo music is going through my aux. I have to go this route because my Trucks BT only supports Phone Audio NOT A2DP.
How are you making the SGS III think it's in a dock?
SirKronan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
Posts: 233
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy S3, ASUS Transformer TF101
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Yeah SirK, that was the problem. I ran something called Dock Simulator and I also downloaded the "Samsung Car Home" application from a site called mobile24. It is essentially a free version of Car Home Ulitmate (I think) from the playstore.

After fiddling with this for a while last night I finally got it to switch to to dock mode this am. I would suggest you install both apps and then restart the device. Then dock it and see if it pops up a window asking how to fulfill the dock request "S-Voice or Car Home"

Hope this helps!
Ches111 is offline  
Last edited by Ches111; July 11th, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I gave that a shot, but I don't think Samsung Car Home works with ICS. Google Play says this device is not compatible with this version.
dansftown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
Posts: 233
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy S3, ASUS Transformer TF101
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansftown View Post
I gave that a shot, but I don't think Samsung Car Home works with ICS. Google Play says this device is not compatible with this version.
That is why I DLoaded it from the mobile24. I guarantee it works since I used it on the way to work this am on my stock ICS S3.
Ches111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I wasn't able to find it on mobile24, that's why I went to Google. After your last message, I tried a broad search for it. It's mobiles with an s. You have to make sure and have that 's' in there. I'm going to try it now, thanks.
dansftown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
Posts: 233
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy S3, ASUS Transformer TF101
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Sorry about that I was going from memory
Ches111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln, England
Posts: 1,939
 
Device(s): Apple iPhone 5 64GB (iOS 6.0.1), Apple iPad 2 16GB (iOS 6.0.1), Nexus 7 (Android 4.2 Jelly Bean)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 121
Thanked 380 Times in 251 Posts
Default

This has happened to me only since the latest update!

I had O2 branded firmware then upgraded to unbranded firmware so it may be that the O2 firmware supported it and the unbranded doesn't
matttye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I was just listening to TalkSport, they said O2 is having big problems around the UK. Good luck with that.
dansftown is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ches111 View Post
That is why I DLoaded it from the mobile24. I guarantee it works since I used it on the way to work this am on my stock ICS S3.
I got Dock Simulator going with CarHome Ultra and it still won't default my phone to the Bluetooth. It's pretty frustrating. Though I do really like CarHome Ultra, thanks for letting me know about that. I tried the different docking options and it didn't change anything.
dansftown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln, England
Posts: 1,939
 
Device(s): Apple iPhone 5 64GB (iOS 6.0.1), Apple iPad 2 16GB (iOS 6.0.1), Nexus 7 (Android 4.2 Jelly Bean)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 121
Thanked 380 Times in 251 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansftown View Post
I was just listening to TalkSport, they said O2 is having big problems around the UK. Good luck with that.
Seems fine to me, other than a slightly weaker signal at times!
matttye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SirKronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a house
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Droid Eris, Droid X, Fascinate (Galaxy S), LTE Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 244
Thanked 197 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ches111 View Post
Yeah SirK, that was the problem. I ran something called Dock Simulator and I also downloaded the "Samsung Car Home" application from a site called mobile24. It is essentially a free version of Car Home Ulitmate (I think) from the playstore.

After fiddling with this for a while last night I finally got it to switch to to dock mode this am. I would suggest you install both apps and then restart the device. Then dock it and see if it pops up a window asking how to fulfill the dock request "S-Voice or Car Home"

Hope this helps!
oopsies. double post.
SirKronan is offline  
Last edited by SirKronan; July 12th, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SirKronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a house
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Droid Eris, Droid X, Fascinate (Galaxy S), LTE Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 244
Thanked 197 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ches111 View Post
Yeah SirK, that was the problem. I ran something called Dock Simulator and I also downloaded the "Samsung Car Home" application from a site called mobile24. It is essentially a free version of Car Home Ulitmate (I think) from the playstore.

After fiddling with this for a while last night I finally got it to switch to to dock mode this am. I would suggest you install both apps and then restart the device. Then dock it and see if it pops up a window asking how to fulfill the dock request "S-Voice or Car Home"

Hope this helps!
Tried all of the above and no dice. It pipes the audio out the headphone jack regardless of whether bluetooth is connected or not. And yet the mic on the Bluetooth device still picks my voice up. They can hear me. My Pioneer in dash logically switches to Bluetooth. I called Samsung and they told me it was probably my car stereos fault. Bullcrap. My Pioneer is doing its job and it works with every other mp3 playing phone I've ever had, minus my old Fascinate. This is a stupid design flaw we should not have to deal with. I understand that there's a logical reason to have the call audio go out the headphone jack and use the phone's built in mic.... but NOT when I have a Bluetooth headset connected!!!! Asinine safety hazard. I can't believe they screwed this up. I will post a video of it working the way it should on the att version shortly.
dansftown likes this.
SirKronan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKronan View Post
Tried all of the above and no dice. It pipes the audio out the headphone jack regardless of whether bluetooth is connected or not. And yet the mic on the Bluetooth device still picks my voice up. They can hear me. My Pioneer in dash logically switches to Bluetooth. I called Samsung and they told me it was probably my car stereos fault. Bullcrap. My Pioneer is doing its job and it works with every other mp3 playing phone I've ever had, minus my old Fascinate. This is a stupid design flaw we should not have to deal with. I understand that there's a logical reason to have the call audio go out the headphone jack and use the phone's built in mic.... but NOT when I have a Bluetooth headset connected!!!! Asinine safety hazard. I can't believe they screwed this up. I will post a video of it working the way it should on the att version shortly.
I emailed Samsung and gave them the address to this Thread, and simply asked, "Are you guys working on this issue?" I have not heard back. I included in my email that Evos don't have this issue; so if I don't feel like they're working on it, I'm taking my GS3 back at the end of the week. If you look around the Web, there are plenty of people complaining about this, Samsung has to do something.
dansftown is offline  
Last edited by dansftown; July 11th, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
Posts: 233
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy S3, ASUS Transformer TF101
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Sir K, are you using the Infuse dock with the 3.5mm jack on th back of the dock? The Line out I am talking about is using the USB Lineout on the dock itself.
Ches111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #37 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Gald I found this thread. I was going out of my mind with the same issue. Never had a problem with my old phone (Moto Droid A855)

I'll be checking back for solution
mbaumser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKronan View Post
When you stream your music via bluetooth vs. connecting with an audio cable, you lose a good bit of your lower frequencies. In addition, it is definitely NOT safer to have to disconnect a cable (taking hands AND eyes off the road) just to answer a call. What's the point of HANDS FREE?
A2DP supports various sampling rates all the way up to 48KHz. I have an A2DP receiver plugged into an amp at home. Playing a frequency sweep from 18 to 44KHz shows off the capability of this profile. 20 Hz comes through just on my Sunfire sub. I used to be able to hear up to 20 KHz when I was younger, but now I can't hear above 17.5KHz. However, the sweep comes through clearly for me up to my limit of hearing which is higher than 16KHz.

A2DP is compressed to about 700KBts which is about half of CD, but that's not a bad compression ratio.
sorka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SirKronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a house
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Droid Eris, Droid X, Fascinate (Galaxy S), LTE Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 244
Thanked 197 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ches111 View Post
Sir K, are you using the Infuse dock with the 3.5mm jack on th back of the dock? The Line out I am talking about is using the USB Lineout on the dock itself.
No. I've been trying apps and other trickery to "fool" it into car mode, but even though I can get it into car mode and see the icon it doesn't work.

Edit: video link removed and re-posted.
SirKronan is offline  
Last edited by SirKronan; July 12th, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ignore this post. I tested again and what I thought and posted was wrong. With something plugged into the headset there is no sound In or Out of the cars handsfree device.
mbaumser is offline  
Last edited by mbaumser; July 11th, 2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: earlier post had wrong information
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #41 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ches111 View Post
Sir K, are you using the Infuse dock with the 3.5mm jack on th back of the dock? The Line out I am talking about is using the USB Lineout on the dock itself.

Ches111, so you're suggesting that we need a $20-$40 accessory to get the phone to do what other phones naturally do?
mbaumser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 768
 
Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 6
Thanked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflol View Post
Yeah. Its been checked. It just doesn't use the bluetooth if an aux cable is connected. Guess I'm back to using my tablet for pandora in the car :\.
I haven't tried it yet, but use pandora about 1-2 hours a day. If I have to unplug the jack to take a BT as all have stated, that will suck. My jack is pretty far forward on the dash in the powered mount. I have the infuse mount, but when docked and the jack in the dock is used, I get poping and alternator whine through the speakers. I have to go into the phone's jack and not the dock.
__________________
Droid X and root. Not overclocked.
serpa4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SirKronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a house
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Droid Eris, Droid X, Fascinate (Galaxy S), LTE Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 244
Thanked 197 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaumser View Post
Ches111, so you're suggesting that we need a $20-$40 accessory to get the phone to do what other phones naturally do?
No, I don't think he was suggesting that, he was just asking if I was using that method to try to get it to work.

It would be absurd to require something, and I don't think he was implying that, just double checking with me.

This is frustrating. I was waiting for a more upper level samsung tech while on the phone with them today, and after being told by Samsung that it was probably something on verizon's end. I explained to her that I had already called Verizon who were the ones who gave me Samsung's number in the first place. While waiting for the supervisor person, she tried to tell me that it was my car stereo's fault. Then she said that since I didn't have a Samsung branded bluetooth headset/device that she couldn't offer me any help at all. Finally after another brief hold (and I was polite and courteous the whole time with Verizon and Samsung both) the supervisor finally came on. I said "hi" and started turned off the speaker phone and started talking and she hung up on me without so much as a goodbye.

Not impressed. I am exceedingly close to returning this phone. Combine this horrendous safety issue with the fact that the SGSIII has crazy sporadic WiFi signal, and horrible bluetooth range/reception compared to my Galaxy Nexus, and you have dang near a complete recipe for disappointment.
SirKronan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #44 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKronan View Post
No, I don't think he was suggesting that, he was just asking if I was using that method to try to get it to work.

It would be absurd to require something, and I don't think he was implying that, just double checking with me.

This is frustrating. I was waiting for a more upper level samsung tech while on the phone with them today, and after being told by Samsung that it was probably something on verizon's end. I explained to her that I had already called Verizon who were the ones who gave me Samsung's number in the first place. While waiting for the supervisor person, she tried to tell me that it was my car stereo's fault. Then she said that since I didn't have a Samsung branded bluetooth headset/device that she couldn't offer me any help at all. Finally after another brief hold (and I was polite and courteous the whole time with Verizon and Samsung both) the supervisor finally came on. I said "hi" and started turned off the speaker phone and started talking and she hung up on me without so much as a goodbye.

Not impressed. I am exceedingly close to returning this phone. Combine this horrendous safety issue with the fact that the SGSIII has crazy sporadic WiFi signal, and horrible bluetooth range/reception compared to my Galaxy Nexus, and you have dang near a complete recipe for disappointment.
thanks.

I also posted to the samsung facebook support page. I explained the issue and the support person simply replied. "You can't do that". When I said, this is a safty issue they said, "we'll look into it"

I need to find out what if any return period I have here in NYC.
mbaumser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #45 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I was thinking about getting a BT audio receiver for the car.

Amazon.com: ECOMGEAR? USB Bluetooth Audio Music Receiver Adapter for PC Speaker Phones 3.5mm Stereo: Electronics

Any idea if this will solve the issue? I don't have two BT devices to test. But can I hook music audio to one BT device and phone to the cars BT handsfree at the same time

or alternatively if a doc solves the issue, would this

Samsung Micro-USB to 3.5mm Headset Adapter - EMC43UDAME - $6.99
mbaumser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #46 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This problem with S3 really sucks! I love the phone otherwise and don't want to return it. Maybe if we show Samsung/Verizon that enough people are pissed off about it they'll issue a fix. What do people think about starting an online petition?
phanfan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SirKronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a house
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Droid Eris, Droid X, Fascinate (Galaxy S), LTE Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 244
Thanked 197 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanfan View Post
This problem with S3 really sucks! I love the phone otherwise and don't want to return it. Maybe if we show Samsung/Verizon that enough people are pissed off about it they'll issue a fix. What do people think about starting an online petition?
We should! And keep bugging them on Facebook. I started up a dialogue there as well. We need to keep focusing on how serious a safety/legal issue it is!!

Here's a video of the correct operation on at&t:

GSIII Headphone out and bluetooth - YouTube

Why does this work fine on AT&T but not Verizon?
SirKronan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln, England
Posts: 1,939
 
Device(s): Apple iPhone 5 64GB (iOS 6.0.1), Apple iPad 2 16GB (iOS 6.0.1), Nexus 7 (Android 4.2 Jelly Bean)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 121
Thanked 380 Times in 251 Posts
Default

This is irritating now.

This is what I'm experiencing:

- Phone is connected to car stereo via 3.5mm jack, connected to bluetooth headset.
- phone call comes in, can answer using bluetooth and can both hear each other.
- press command button on headset, loads s voice but it can't hear me.
- if I disconnect the audio jack s voice works perfectly.

This has only happened since I updated the software!
matttye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 455
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 / Galaxy S3 (Verizon)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Default

This has been my experience with any phone I've used recently, including the Rezound and the Nexus. I haven't tried it with the S3 just yet, but any time I have an AUX cable connected, the audio will always go over it before Bluetooth (or anything for that matter, including the phone's speaker).

I don't know how many times someone has called me and I couldn't hear them because they were going through the AUX cable.
craighwk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SirKronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a house
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Droid Eris, Droid X, Fascinate (Galaxy S), LTE Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 244
Thanked 197 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
This is irritating now.

This is what I'm experiencing:

- Phone is connected to car stereo via 3.5mm jack, connected to bluetooth headset.
- phone call comes in, can answer using bluetooth and can both hear each other.
- press command button on headset, loads s voice but it can't hear me.
- if I disconnect the audio jack s voice works perfectly.

This has only happened since I updated the software!
Which carrier's SGSIII do you have? Or is it the international?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craighwk View Post
This has been my experience with any phone I've used recently, including the Rezound and the Nexus. I haven't tried it with the S3 just yet, but any time I have an AUX cable connected, the audio will always go over it before Bluetooth (or anything for that matter, including the phone's speaker).

I don't know how many times someone has called me and I couldn't hear them because they were going through the AUX cable.
Which Nexus is it? My Galaxy Nexus does not have this issue. Neither did my Droid X nor my HTC Eris. Now, I realize some phones default the audio to the headphone port even if bluetooth is connected, but also have an option to choose outputs. This option is grayed out on the SGSIII with Verizon for some reason, and it's horribly annoying, and a bit unsafe. I really hope they issue a fix. The AT&T version does not seem to have this issue, if you watch the video above.
SirKronan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S III
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale!
Samsung Galaxy S III

  The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the company's flagship device of 2012. As one of the most anticipated devices of the year, this device is the first to come with a Exynos 4 Quad processor. It also has Android 4.0, a 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED ... Read More

Tags
bluetooth, bluetooth 4.0, bluetooth wired audio car handsfree aux, heaphones, rear speaker, samsung galaxy s3


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.