Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Galaxy SIII Notification Bar (Status Bar) icon location

My galaxy s3 recently started displaying my notifications 'strangely'. There is now a space before most of my icons and sometimes a notification is to the left of this space. I have tried restarting the device and still no luck. But one thing I did notice is that while the device is powering down the space is gone and everything shifts to where it is supposed to be, then its back again once the device restarts. I attached some screenshots to look at. Note: the issue is the space on the left, not the one in the middle. This is really bugging me and I'm hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2012-07-13-10-32-22[1].PNG (22.1 KB, 173 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2012-07-13-11-27-20[1].PNG (17.0 KB, 129 views)

Advertisements
jgranovsky is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I also wanted to add another theory. Its possible that there is an icon that is in black text so it looks like its blank, but I just cannot seem to find anything that is displaying an icon in the notification bar. I was stopping some running apps to see if it worked and no luck..
jgranovsky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 51
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

not 100% sure, but maybe its an app that's pushing a ad to your notification bar, but its bugging out?
I would download airpush detector.
That is where I would start just in case.
kboss375 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I actually have that app and I love it. I ran it already and nothing came up.
jgranovsky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Found it! It is the "persistent notification" option in the My Data Manager app that has never been an issue before.
jgranovsky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 155
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Is that My Data Manager app something that was preinstalled on the phone? I'm on VZW and don't see that app. I'm having this same thing happen (a blank space to the far left of the notification bar) and cannot figure out what's causing it. Airpush shows nothing, checked messaging/email apps and don't see a cause. Anyone else have this and know what might be the cause?
jaymf is offline  
Last edited by jaymf; July 15th, 2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: I'm on VZW, not VZA
Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Its actually not a pre installed app. So if you didn't install it, you don't have it. However, it is definitely an app that is displaying an icon in black text. I have actually come across multiple apps that can do that. What I can suggest is going into your application manager and look at what is running and one by one stop applications that you suspect could be doing it. Once you see it has gone away just go into the settings on that app and try to disable it, or delete the app.
jgranovsky is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jgranovsky For This Useful Post:
jaymf (July 15th, 2012)
Old July 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 155
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgranovsky View Post
Its actually not a pre installed app. So if you didn't install it, you don't have it. However, it is definitely an app that is displaying an icon in black text. I have actually come across multiple apps that can do that. What I can suggest is going into your application manager and look at what is running and one by one stop applications that you suspect could be doing it. Once you see it has gone away just go into the settings on that app and try to disable it, or delete the app.
That's what I figured, but was hoping maybe someone else has an idea of some other causes, thanks.
jaymf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymf View Post
Is that My Data Manager app something that was preinstalled on the phone? I'm on VZW and don't see that app. I'm having this same thing happen (a blank space to the far left of the notification bar) and cannot figure out what's causing it. Airpush shows nothing, checked messaging/email apps and don't see a cause. Anyone else have this and know what might be the cause?
Started having this exact same problem today.. Nexus S recently upgraded to jelly bean - not able to pin it to an app either. Actually just noticed that while booting the phone up that it flashed the USB storage icon (when it usually says 'preparing USB storage' before entire home screen loads) in that blank space and then disappeared. My normally leftmost icon which shows battery life left stayed in the exact spot so I'm inclined to think it is the USB storage icon.

Already poked around the options and there doesn't seem to be anything. It does drive you crazy tho.
johnnyboi1016 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 12:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 155
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Yea I never figured out what's causing the space, tried disabling various running apps to no avail. I've noticed that when the GPS get's used, the GPS icon does move into the leftmost space, but it just displaces all the icons so that the "invisible" icon is still there. Just living with it.
jaymf is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 7th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgranovsky View Post
My galaxy s3 recently started displaying my notifications 'strangely'. There is now a space before most of my icons and sometimes a notification is to the left of this space. I have tried restarting the device and still no luck. But one thing I did notice is that while the device is powering down the space is gone and everything shifts to where it is supposed to be, then its back again once the device restarts. I attached some screenshots to look at. Note: the issue is the space on the left, not the one in the middle. This is really bugging me and I'm hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance.
Tap and drag down (right to the bottom of the screen) the notification bar. You will see what the problem is
Adejoh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S III
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale!
Samsung Galaxy S III

  The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the company's flagship device of 2012. As one of the most anticipated devices of the year, this device is the first to come with a Exynos 4 Quad processor. It also has Android 4.0, a 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED ... Read More

Tags
bar, galaxy, icon, notification, samsung, status, tray


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.