I ordered a glass+lcd+digitizer from repairs universe and have the same issue. It looks like there may be some kits that don't entirely work out there. figures...
Update (for anyone who still cares about this issue):
So this is what I did to get my phone working again (without replacing the screen yet again)...
- root the phone (search youtube, there are plenty of vids that show how; I used Odin3_v3.07_SGSIII)
- unlock the bootloader (via the ez-unlock app in the play store)
- install clockworkmod recovery
Cyanogenmod 10 nightly (i have the sammy gs3 SCH-I535 model)
gapps for cyanogenmod 10.0
the handy NAVBar mod
to enable on-screen back, menu, and recent buttons (I specifically loaded the NAV_HomeCamera script)
- Place the following files from the downloads in the "Downloads" folder on my phone (you can use the external SD card if you wish; I don't have one currently; I used Kies Aire from my phone for the transfer):
- NAV_Remove_Universal_1.7.zip (just in case I needed to remove the NAV mod, which I didn't)
- Booted into clockworkmod recovery, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe davlik, then installed CM10, gapps, and NAV_HomeCamera mod.
So now I have a phone with on screen back, menu, and recent buttons just like my Google Nexus 7. The physical button on the phone now acts as the camera shutter release (or opens camera app with long press). My phone has been wiped of all the Samsung bloatware and is running JellyBean 4.1.2 (up from ICS 4.0.4 stock), again, like my Nexus 7.
Frankly, I wish the manufacturers would do away with the physical buttons anyway. I really don't miss the capacitive menu and back buttons at all.
Good luck all!