Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree10Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 218
 
Device(s): ASUS Nexus 7 (2012, 32GB), Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 6
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to En4cer2k11 Send a message via Yahoo to En4cer2k11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post
Referring to my post #46 above. I wasn't in any way intending to sound hostile towards you (if you were talking about my post?), I was trying to help you and advise the next steps you need to take for us to help you further.
I do want to help, as from my own experience I know first hand how frustrating battery draining is.

If I can refer you to my post #46 above again, and the battery apps to download. Once you have done this and posted the results we can try to pin point a possible problem, or at least rule certain things out. Without the information these apps gives we are guessing at best.

John
My rant was not directed at you, it was directed at the people who seem to think that just because THEIR phones are OK, that everybody who DOES experience a problem is simply crazy or a complete idiot. I highly dislike arrogance, and those who I feel are displaying it will get a piece of my mind.

I did download the GSam Battery Monitor (nobody had previously mentioned a FREE option, BTW) and its running. So far, since unplugging at 10:30am, my phone is currently sitting at 88% with mobile data off for the entire time. Yet it still says that the phone radio has used 56.1% of the battery drain thus far. App usage is at 32.6% with "system (*wake lock*)" as the highest app with 8.7% out of that. Not sure what all that means.

En4cer2k11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 16th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 312
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt and Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Why doesn't Samsung offer an extended battery for this phone?
nyrmetros is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK - South West
Posts: 151
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3
Carrier: '3' Network

Thanks: 70
Thanked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by En4cer2k11
I did download the GSam Battery Monitor (nobody had previously mentioned a FREE option, BTW) and its running. So far, since unplugging at 10:30am, my phone is currently sitting at 88% with mobile data off for the entire time. Yet it still says that the phone radio has used 56.1% of the battery drain thus far. App usage is at 32.6% with "system (*wake lock*)" as the highest app with 8.7% out of that. Not sure what all that means.
It is fairly normal (well for this phone) for the phone radio to have this high usage figure, mine does as well, but my battery lasts very well. The reason for phone radio being so high is because of the false reporting issue, more info about that here Cell Standby issue - please sign "petition" for Samsung
So I would like to partially overlook that for the time being, and concentrate on other areas.

Could you, next time you take a note of the apps and battery monitor/screen usage, post the following screen shots for me please; (they all need to be taken as closely together as possible so that the figures correlate, and also the longer the time since unplugged the better to give a more realistic result of the usage)

These are all screenshots from GSam
1) The main battery usage page
2) Click on Screen, and do a screenshot of that 'usage details' page
3) Go back to the main usage page >> click on phone radio >> then take a screenshot of the usage details.
4) Go back to the main usage page >> click on apps >> then take screenshot of the 'view % power used'
5) Apps usage >> 'view time held awake'
6) Apps usage >> 'view num times waking device'

I know this is quite tedious, but its so hard to pinpoint a drain, as there are so many possible causes, the more info we have the more likely it is that we can drill down and find it. As I said, I spent a LONG time going through all this info with my drain problem but did find it in the end.

John
John P is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #54 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Since my first smart phone I've always carried spare batteries. I've just come to accept it as part of having a smartphone. They're powerful pocket computers with big bright screens and it seems that battery technology hasn't kept pace with computing technology. You can get two or three knock off chinese batteries with a charger for about 10 from ebay. I'd advise ignoring any which claim to be ten million mah, they always exaggerate. Standard third party batteries with no bold claims about capacity have always lasted me about the same as my genuine battery.

I always have one battery in my phone, one in my watch pocket in my jeans and one at home in the charger. If I've had to swap the battery while out, I switch the dead one with the one in the charger before I go to bed. if I'm going camping, travelling or whatever I'll make sure all three are fully charged before I go. I don't really see the point in having an amazing device and having to keep half the functions turned off so much because you're sweating about battery life. Especially when you can solve it just by carrying around something the size of a poker chip.

Of course in OPs case there also looks to be an issue in addition to the normal 'that's life' of high smartphone battery usage, so that needs to be sorted out as well.
Ceefax81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
MrPeter1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jeffersonville, IN
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Current... S3 powered by VW Retired... Samsung Transform Ultra, Samsung Galaxy Prevail by Boost
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 65
Thanked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MrPeter1985 Send a message via MSN to MrPeter1985 Send a message via Yahoo to MrPeter1985 Send a message via Skype™ to MrPeter1985 mrpeter1985@gmail.com
Default

My Battery drain was the apps in the background. After having the S3 for a few days, battery was great til one morning my phone was dead. Found out it was due to a game I left in the background. Now that I clear the heavy apps and games when I'm done my battery lasts all day and night.
__________________
IT Specialist and Consultant
Webdesigner and Developer
Once Android Always Android!
VW 4G LTE
Boost 3G
MrPeter1985 is offline  
Last edited by MrPeter1985; September 17th, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
Easilyamused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 337
 
Device(s): iPad 2 16gb, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 144 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by En4cer2k11 View Post
Where exactly did you read that backwards azz implication in my post? Don't ever attempt to twist my words again.

And considering the sheer EXISTENCE of this thread in the first place, any LOGICAL individual should be able to deduce that SOME PEOPLE HAVE BATTERY ISSUES. Just because you may not does NOT give you the right to dismiss the apparent problems that people OTHER THAN YOURSELF are experiencing as insignificant. Come down from your high horse one time.
That is what you stated in this thread. Paraphrasing the conversation:

NJRonbo S3's have terrible battery life. Samsung needs to address this.

Wisheezy No, it's either user caused or possibly defective hardware. Most S3's don't have this issue.

YOU No, it is an issue that Samsung needs to address.

ME So those with poor battery life, such are yourself are the majority and of us with excellent battery life are the exception?

Not sure what's so hard to follow about that. Perhaps you should follow your own posts a little more carefully?

While I understand it's frustrating when things don't work the way you want, or the way it should, that doesn't mean it's just a bad design and the phone is a piece of crap. Try to look at things from a different perspective; there are a few dozen members of this forum who are having somewhat extreme battery issues. Samsung has sold over 20 million S3 handsets. Do you think it's more likely that a few have either hardware or software issues causing shortened batter life, or that it's simply a crappy design and those who say the battery use is fine are either lying or lucky?

So rather than standing on your soapbox and shouting about how this or that shouldn't be, perhaps it would be more productive to take the advise of those who want to and have been trying help, and either diagnose what is causing the drain, or return the handset as defective?
Roll-Tide likes this.
Easilyamused is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Easilyamused For This Useful Post:
Roll-Tide (September 17th, 2012)
Old September 17th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
Easilyamused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 337
 
Device(s): iPad 2 16gb, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 144 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by En4cer2k11 View Post
With brightness on zero, this is the only thing that stands out...



For one thing, I posted my first graphic to see if somebody else might notice something that I didn't. Others have posted graphics without receiving such hostility in response.

I also mentioned a concern about cell standby in my initial post, but nobody seemed to even acknowledge it whatsoever. Instead, everybody gets mad at ME for even SUGGESTING the mere capability of any problem. Its as if to say "everybody else is fine, so screw you for being the odd man out". What is a forum FOR if we are apparently not allowed to voice our potential concerns? Might as well delete this whole thread then.

At the moment, I'm not really in a position to buy a new battery that isn't of the suspiciously cheap Chinese variety (I couldn't even get a screen protector), nor do I wish to pay a restocking fee associated with a return. So as you can see, I'm painted into a corner...
The cell standby figure is not accurate. Refer to this stickied thread: Cell Standby issue - please sign "petition" for Samsung

As for the battery, why would you have to buy one? The handset should be under warranty. If you've exhausted the suggestions others have offered you in trying to diagnose any software related issue which may be causing the excessive drain, take it back to the store and ask for help in resolving your problem.

Edit: Apologies to John P. who already mentioned the Stanby issue, Just read that
Easilyamused is offline  
Last edited by Easilyamused; September 17th, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 218
 
Device(s): ASUS Nexus 7 (2012, 32GB), Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 6
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to En4cer2k11 Send a message via Yahoo to En4cer2k11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easilyamused View Post
That is what you stated in this thread. Paraphrasing the conversation:

NJRonbo S3's have terrible battery life. Samsung needs to address this.

Wisheezy No, it's either user caused or possibly defective hardware. Most S3's don't have this issue.

YOU No, it is an issue that Samsung needs to address.

ME So those with poor battery life, such are yourself are the majority and of us with excellent battery life are the exception?

Not sure what's so hard to follow about that. Perhaps you should follow your own posts a little more carefully?

While I understand it's frustrating when things don't work the way you want, or the way it should, that doesn't mean it's just a bad design and the phone is a piece of crap. Try to look at things from a different perspective; there are a few dozen members of this forum who are having somewhat extreme battery issues. Samsung has sold over 20 million S3 handsets. Do you think it's more likely that a few have either hardware or software issues causing shortened batter life, or that it's simply a crappy design and those who say the battery use is fine are either lying or lucky?

So rather than standing on your soapbox and shouting about how this or that shouldn't be, perhaps it would be more productive to take the advise of those who want to and have been trying help, and either diagnose what is causing the drain, or return the handset as defective?
OK, now you're just being a smart azz. I SAID QUOTE - "Dude, it is an issue." Don't ever try to tell me what I said or what I MEANT by what I said if YOU AREN'T EVEN COMPETENT ENOUGH TO READ WHAT I SAY WORD FOR WORD WITH NO ADDITIVES. I said nothing about Samsung in my entire post. It was about the battery. So next time you want to try to make somebody look like an idiot, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WTF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

I hate arrogant people with a passion. Just because your particular phone is "just fine" does NOT give you the right to pass judgment on another person who may not be as fortunate. Who TF do you think you are anyway? This thread was supposed to have been about people WITH PROBLEMS getting support. Not to be utterly TRASHED by people who brag about their 22 day battery life, acting like battery issues shouldn't exist FOR ANYBODY, based solely on their own personal experience and point of view. Step out of your perfect little box one time. It may not necessarily be quite as "rosey" for other people as it is for you. Or do you EVEN consider people other than yourself? How does putting people down for experiencing less-than-adequate performance HELP anybody's situation? If you have nothing constructive to offer, YOU DON'T HAVE TO COMMENT. How TF can WE frustrate YOU if WE'RE the ones with the problem and NOT YOU? You have no leg to stand on. If we make you so mad with our form of expression, you always have to option of ignoring us. Plain and simple.

And lastly, somebody was already POLITELY assisting me with finding a solution for my battery issue. So WHY you felt it even necessary to bring this issue back up, OBVIOUSLY in attempt to make me look like a complete fool, is counterproductive to the alleged "advice" that you claim to be offering. Matter of fact, what advice HAVE you even offered in the thread, besides stating your own "frustration"?
En4cer2k11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
Roll-Tide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 272
 
Device(s): iPhone 5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by En4cer2k11 View Post
OK, now you're just being a smart azz. I SAID QUOTE - "Dude, it is an issue." Don't ever try to tell me what I said or what I MEANT by what I said if YOU AREN'T EVEN COMPETENT ENOUGH TO READ WHAT I SAY WORD FOR WORD WITH NO ADDITIVES. I said nothing about Samsung in my entire post. It was about the battery. So next time you want to try to make somebody look like an idiot, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WTF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

I hate arrogant people with a passion. Just because your particular phone is "just fine" does NOT give you the right to pass judgment on another person who may not be as fortunate. Who TF do you think you are anyway? This thread was supposed to have been about people WITH PROBLEMS getting support. Not to be utterly TRASHED by people who brag about their 22 day battery life, acting like battery issues shouldn't exist FOR ANYBODY, based solely on their own personal experience and point of view. Step out of your perfect little box one time. It may not necessarily be quite as "rosey" for other people as it is for you. Or do you EVEN consider people other than yourself? How does putting people down for experiencing less-than-adequate performance HELP anybody's situation? If you have nothing constructive to offer, YOU DON'T HAVE TO COMMENT. How TF can WE frustrate YOU if WE'RE the ones with the problem and NOT YOU? You have no leg to stand on. If we make you so mad with our form of expression, you always have to option of ignoring us. Plain and simple.

And lastly, somebody was already POLITELY assisting me with finding a solution for my battery issue. So WHY you felt it even necessary to bring this issue back up, OBVIOUSLY in attempt to make me look like a complete fool, is counterproductive to the alleged "advice" that you claim to be offering. Matter of fact, what advice HAVE you even offered in the thread, besides stating your own "frustration"?
Wow, the amount of time you took to type all that crap out you could have gone to your carrier's local store and said " hey here's my phone, the battery sucks... Here's a screen shot with proof... Can I get a new battery or a replacement phone?"
Roll-Tide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
Easilyamused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 337
 
Device(s): iPad 2 16gb, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 144 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by En4cer2k11 View Post
OK, now you're just being a smart azz. I SAID QUOTE - "Dude, it is an issue." Don't ever try to tell me what I said or what I MEANT by what I said if YOU AREN'T EVEN COMPETENT ENOUGH TO READ WHAT I SAY WORD FOR WORD WITH NO ADDITIVES. I said nothing about Samsung in my entire post. It was about the battery. So next time you want to try to make somebody look like an idiot, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WTF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

I hate arrogant people with a passion. Just because your particular phone is "just fine" does NOT give you the right to pass judgment on another person who may not be as fortunate. Who TF do you think you are anyway? This thread was supposed to have been about people WITH PROBLEMS getting support. Not to be utterly TRASHED by people who brag about their 22 day battery life, acting like battery issues shouldn't exist FOR ANYBODY, based solely on their own personal experience and point of view. Step out of your perfect little box one time. It may not necessarily be quite as "rosey" for other people as it is for you. Or do you EVEN consider people other than yourself? How does putting people down for experiencing less-than-adequate performance HELP anybody's situation? If you have nothing constructive to offer, YOU DON'T HAVE TO COMMENT. How TF can WE frustrate YOU if WE'RE the ones with the problem and NOT YOU? You have no leg to stand on. If we make you so mad with our form of expression, you always have to option of ignoring us. Plain and simple.

And lastly, somebody was already POLITELY assisting me with finding a solution for my battery issue. So WHY you felt it even necessary to bring this issue back up, OBVIOUSLY in attempt to make me look like a complete fool, is counterproductive to the alleged "advice" that you claim to be offering. Matter of fact, what advice HAVE you even offered in the thread, besides stating your own "frustration"?
you're doing fine on your own.
Easilyamused is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 218
 
Device(s): ASUS Nexus 7 (2012, 32GB), Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 6
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to En4cer2k11 Send a message via Yahoo to En4cer2k11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post
It is fairly normal (well for this phone) for the phone radio to have this high usage figure, mine does as well, but my battery lasts very well. The reason for phone radio being so high is because of the false reporting issue, more info about that here Cell Standby issue - please sign "petition" for Samsung
So I would like to partially overlook that for the time being, and concentrate on other areas.

Could you, next time you take a note of the apps and battery monitor/screen usage, post the following screen shots for me please; (they all need to be taken as closely together as possible so that the figures correlate, and also the longer the time since unplugged the better to give a more realistic result of the usage)

These are all screenshots from GSam
1) The main battery usage page
2) Click on Screen, and do a screenshot of that 'usage details' page
3) Go back to the main usage page >> click on phone radio >> then take a screenshot of the usage details.
4) Go back to the main usage page >> click on apps >> then take screenshot of the 'view % power used'
5) Apps usage >> 'view time held awake'
6) Apps usage >> 'view num times waking device'

I know this is quite tedious, but its so hard to pinpoint a drain, as there are so many possible causes, the more info we have the more likely it is that we can drill down and find it. As I said, I spent a LONG time going through all this info with my drain problem but did find it in the end.

John
I took these pics before reading your response and I turned my phone off to charge (hoping it would make a difference). I hope this is what you're talking about.




Screen on time was 5 hours.
En4cer2k11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 218
 
Device(s): ASUS Nexus 7 (2012, 32GB), Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 6
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to En4cer2k11 Send a message via Yahoo to En4cer2k11
Default

This is from today.


En4cer2k11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S III
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale!
Samsung Galaxy S III

  The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the company's flagship device of 2012. As one of the most anticipated devices of the year, this device is the first to come with a Exynos 4 Quad processor. It also has Android 4.0, a 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED ... Read More

Tags
battery, charge, drain, iphone, life


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.