Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree34Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
zerojjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default iPhone fans trying to get friend to return GS3!

Hello everyone. I have a friend who just purchased the GS3 largely because I told her how much better it was than the iphone. She was going to get the free iphone 4, because a couple of her friends told her that was the best way to go. Her room-mate, who is one of my best friends, just got his GS3 two weeks ago. He also told her how awesome it was. So the day after she got it she posts on facebook that she got a new phone. Those iSheep friends of hers started basically bashing her choice and saying she failed, that the iphone was way better, and she was lied to by the people who said the gs3 was better (her room-mate and I). I, along with a couple friends, have already posted and supported her decision and brought up several reasons why her GS3 was superior. But the reason I am here is because I wanted to here from more Android/Tech/Phone gurus as to what you all think as well.
She has one friend who was telling her that androids were unsecure, that they steal your information, that the apps running in background kill the battery, and that they get viruses from their inferior app market. He then goes on to tell her she should return the GS3 and get an iphone so that she could play games, text, and video chat with her friends/family who already have iphones. All of which I know you can do cross platform regardless.
So anything you all can add to the cause and help keep a fellow android from going over to the darkside would be appreciated.

zerojjc is offline  
sponsored links
Old September 28th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
zerojjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well since no one has any comments i decided to post what her "iphone friends" have been saying:
" - What?! What happened to the iPhone?! You fail at this game!!!
- Actually it's not better than the iPhone, you've been lied to. And the whole app thing, you get better apps with iPhone. I'm so disappointed.
- Take it back!
- I'd be proud if you had gotten a good phone :-P
- When you have problems with your phone, don't whine about it!
- While the Galaxy sIII has some amazing (and amazingly creepy) new technology, I've found "tech geeks", in general, seem to prefer Apple over Android for speed, reliability and overall quality.
- Cough. Speed, reliability, overall quality. Cough.
- I've heard Androids in general start out fast, but lose speed real quick.
- Yeah, the Galaxy S III is so awesome that somebody — ANYBODY — can factory-reset your phone (erasing all your data) just by putting a single line of code in their website.
- There are no rules about apps' resource usage, so many apps destroy your battery by always running in the background (even though a lot of people call that a feature!).
- There are no rules about what they can and can not do on the phone, or what data they're allowed to access. This makes it easy to write malware — software that steals your personal information, or is basically a "virus" — and a TON of bad people out there do.
- malware doesnt exist on the iphone
- with iphone you can all play games with each other, do video chat for free, send text- and picture messages for free and in higher quality, and use all the same apps together.
- Plus they sold 5 million iPhone 5s in 3 days (!!!) and tens of millions of iPads every quarter. How many of your friends are going to have them too?"
zerojjc is offline  
Old September 29th, 2012, 02:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
SteveFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Well, I'm a recent iPhone convert.

I was a Windows Mobile user for quite a while for several years, then I bought the (then) new iPhone 3 in 2009 to see what it was about. I recall being extremely disappointed because I couldn't transfer any files or apps to it except through iTunes sync, and only the things which Apple would allow. I had lost a freedom for a fancy trendy phone. I considered it a mistake. But I got used to the multitude of limitations.

Then I wanted some programs which were available on other devices, but Apple would not allow me to put on my iPhone. (It's like Apple owned my phone not me).

Apple only allows 5 computers to be used for syncing any one device. You can access your account at Apple to remove all 5 of those computers together, should you need it. But you can only do that once a calendar year.
I had 3 computers registered to sync with. 3 out of 5. Then I had a series of computer OS crashes which required reloading of the OS. Once restored I tried to re-register them in iTunes so I could sync my phone.

iTunes refused the register, saying I already had 5 out of 5 computers registered.
That really, really very much ticked me off.
I had to go through the hassle of calling Apple, talking to a representative and explaining everything so they can let me use my own phone again.

Now, when I had 5 iOS devices it was a form of paranoia when ever one of my computers showed signs of getting flaky and the 1st thing I had to do was UN-register my Apple account with the computer or risk being locked out of iTunes sync again, should the computer crash.

I had stuck with Apple for future phones simply because I had invested hundreds of $$ worth of iOS applications. A ball and chain.

Another big blow of disgust happened when they released iOS5 and introduced "Newsstand" which is a magazine subscription service through Apple. That in itself isn't so bad, except Apple doesn't allow you to hide it out of sight in a folder somewhere, they require you to keep it on your desktop. Some sales gimmick.

It truly pushed me over the edge when iOS6 came out and introduced another similar Apple sales gimmick called "Passbook". Apple wants you to buy all your movie, travel and entertainment purchases through them by using yet another permanently forced desktop icon. You can't hide it away in a folder, Apple won't let you.

I think the iPhone is a truly remarkable and great set of hardware, but unfortunately it's tied to Apple which I found extremely distasteful in their business practices and the way they treat customers.

Apple+iPhone make a great and unique cellphone combination for someone who doesn't mind having their smartphone experience 100% controlled by Apple, as it forces itself upon its consumers by string and carrot.

It's like someone else's dad taking you out for dinner. You really, really want to go out and dine at restaurant "A" but since dad is driving, you must go to restaurant "B" because he says so.
But that's OK, he'll let you choose between either this plate or that plate, as long as he approves (and keeps a % of the tip for himself before leaving).

Will a person just accept what "dad", the cellphone manufacturer says you can- and can not have, what you can have access to or what you can not do with your own phone? Yes, a lot of people accept it. Blindly and gladly. They also do the same regarding other things, but that's not a topic here.

My family of 5 all have wireless data lines. We all had iOS devices and my wife wanted me to upgrade to the new iPhone 5. Me? I had my fill of Apple and its Draconian regulations, restrictions and limitations. I had to break away so I began researching Android.

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S3 for less than a week, and the transition from iOS to Android is slow but steady. Even as I get used to it, I like my S3 much better than my iPhone 4. Not because it's faster, has a bigger screen and double the memory... but for the freedom from Apple.

I can breathe.

I don't know if that will help with your friend or not. I felt good writing it though.
SteveFury is offline  
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SteveFury For This Useful Post:
badrsj (October 4th, 2012), Grantluvsbeer (October 3rd, 2012), HighSierra (October 3rd, 2012), Johnny Crapple (October 7th, 2012), Johnny Doomzday (October 3rd, 2012), JunBringer (October 4th, 2012), mccoubd (October 26th, 2012), Que1999 (October 5th, 2012), raiderjatt02 (October 4th, 2012), scooter1942 (October 3rd, 2012), YankeeDudeL (October 4th, 2012), zerojjc (September 29th, 2012)
Old September 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 34
 
Device(s): HTC Desire CDMA (Cyanogenmod-7, Gingerbread 2.3.7)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerojjc View Post
- While the Galaxy sIII has some amazing (and amazingly creepy) new technology, I've found "tech geeks", in general, seem to prefer Apple over Android for speed, reliability and overall quality.
Just two observations:
  1. Anybody who thinks the Galaxy S3 has "creepy" technology, obviously never read the Apple EULA. That is creepy. Big Steve's dead, but he still owns your phone? I don't think so.
  2. "Tech geeks" like to tinker & tweak. The only (and I repeat, only) was to do that on an iPhone is an EULA violation. When I picked up my S3, the sales manager at my carrier's store chatted with me about Android & told me he would be rooting his new S3 this weekend. When I asked if rooting my phone would void the warranty, he said, "We don't care, really." Hmmm...
Moreover, I abhor iTunes being forced down my throat. I much prefer just hooking up the USB & loading my media on the phone without using spyware. And I certainly don't want my stuff stored in a "cloud" owned by a company that was founded on "control freak" principles! I trust Google. I haven't trusted Apple since the early 80s.

I think your friend is getting flak because her's is bigger than their's.
djeaux is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djeaux For This Useful Post:
Rinnosuke (February 2nd, 2013), YankeeDudeL (October 4th, 2012), zerojjc (September 29th, 2012)
Old September 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
zerojjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks guys. And I dont see how Smart Stay is creepy, too me its awesome. I think that person posting it was jealous because they have a screen time out when they are reading and the S3 has fixed that. Any one else have any input?
zerojjc is offline  
Old September 29th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atascadero ca
Posts: 71
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy2 epic 4g touch
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

one of the guys at work had a Motorola droid something a rather. he liked the phone but he dropped it broke the screen and Verizon said your due for an upgrade. so he bought an I phone 4. i was shocked. but he did say it is so much easier to use.he also had some other positive comments about his new old model 4. that's when i closed my ears i have and GS3.
jeeptecb is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I had to register just to post in this one thread...

WHO CARES WHAT PHONE SHE BOUGHT?! Do you really give enough crap that you had to come on another forum, and post a 3rd party chat log via facebook from your friend? Does it make you feel better having people side with you? Seriously, just ridiculous.

They both have their advantages. Apple makes a great phone, great product, and for less techie people, this is the best and most obvious choice. Their hardware blows ANY android out of the water hands down. Think of it as a Rolex. Yes apple has a lockdown on things, but with any jailbreak there is a way around it. It has lower hardware specs, but still out performs the American s3.

Now for us tech folks that love to tinker, change out roms and kernels to get the absolute best performance from our phones the Android is great. But they are also cheaper and not nearly as well engineered. Yes they have more features, but to access the same features the iphones have, you have to jump through like 6 more steps. Think of android like a timex watch. Cheaper and more features, but it's not a rolex...

And the Play store is not even remotely as safe as the itunes store. Google does NO code reviews on apps. It is easy for somebody to insert malicious code if they want to. Why do you think so many anti-viruses exist for Android and not Iphone? Because of Apples walled garden. Some of you think of it as a curse, but for people that don't have much tech experience and don't know what the hell they are doing, its a godsend.

2-3 years ago, the Iphone was the absolute best phone on the market. Now that android has had some time to catch up, they are on par. Same apps, similar performance. Android has more features, but the Iphone is far more well engineered than any android handset. Not to mention Apple has excellent customer service, and will not hesitate to replace a handset if you have any issues.


THE ONLY THING that has me hanging on to my S3 and not going to the Iphone 5 is SIXAXIS!!!
aznguyen316 and Rinnosuke like this.
Todesengel is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Todesengel For This Useful Post:
aznguyen316 (October 3rd, 2012)
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (AT&T), iPhone 5 (returned aft. 1 day), iPhone 5 (wife, AT&T), iPhone 3GS (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I have had both, and my wife has the iPhone 5. I think the iPhone platform is a far better choice for most people. It is extremely easy to use, rock solid, and friendly. You don't have to think to use it. The apps are more mature and more plentiful. Also, the iPad "3" is a great device and everything syncs easily from phone to tablet.

I like my S3 very much, but it is more complicated, less stable, less consistent to use across apps, and the battery life requires continual thought and planning. I would recommend it highly to people who know tech, otherwise you can't go wrong with an iPhone, especially the 5.
johnnylighton is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 226
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 Blue International, Nokia N82 (ret'd)
Carrier: Fido

Thanks: 6
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerojjc View Post
Well since no one has any comments i decided to post what her "iphone friends" have been saying:
" - What?! What happened to the iPhone?! You fail at this game!!!
- Actually it's not better than the iPhone, you've been lied to. And the whole app thing, you get better apps with iPhone. I'm so disappointed.
- Take it back!
- I'd be proud if you had gotten a good phone :-P
- When you have problems with your phone, don't whine about it!
- While the Galaxy sIII has some amazing (and amazingly creepy) new technology, I've found "tech geeks", in general, seem to prefer Apple over Android for speed, reliability and overall quality.
- Cough. Speed, reliability, overall quality. Cough.
- I've heard Androids in general start out fast, but lose speed real quick.
tech geeks don't prefer iphone.
they are pulling that out of their.... sun don't shine place.
Speed is debatable, and so is reliability and overall quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerojjc View Post
- Yeah, the Galaxy S III is so awesome that somebody ANYBODY can factory-reset your phone (erasing all your data) just by putting a single line of code in their website.
only if your dumb enough to download everything you see. Seriously, I can wipe your iPhone with a magnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerojjc View Post
- There are no rules about apps' resource usage, so many apps destroy your battery by always running in the background (even though a lot of people call that a feature!).
Android is designed so apps can run in the background. It's called multi tasking. iPhones can't do that.
Sure it drains battery but not that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerojjc View Post
- There are no rules about what they can and can not do on the phone, or what data they're allowed to access. This makes it easy to write malware software that steals your personal information, or is basically a "virus" and a TON of bad people out there do.
- malware doesnt exist on the iphone
- with iphone you can all play games with each other, do video chat for free, send text- and picture messages for free and in higher quality, and use all the same apps together.
This is just silly. Apple collects as much info as they want off your iPhone anyways. It's not like they don't "spy" on you anyways.

You can do a whole lot more with the SGS3 than you can with iPhone like buddy share.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zerojjc View Post
- Plus they sold 5 million iPhone 5s in 3 days (!!!) and tens of millions of iPads every quarter. How many of your friends are going to have them too?"
And in the 1500's, everyone thought the world was flat. Popular opinion means nothing.
ImNraged, scooter1942 and hbryder like this.
__________________
GT-i9300 4.1.1
GoldenDiamond is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to GoldenDiamond For This Useful Post:
hbryder (October 2nd, 2012)
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Tman5293's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Asus Transformer Prime, Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 4
Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Tell your friend that she needs to add all of us to her friends list so we can destroy the sheeple with facts and intelligence. It is painfully obvious that they have neither.
Tman5293 is offline  
sponsored links
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CrimsonPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north alabama
Posts: 1,482
 
Device(s): Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 201 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Review of someone else who did the same thing, and regretted it

[Update] I just switched from a GNex to an iPhone 5. Spoiler: I switched back. Here's a list of reasons why. : Android
CrimsonPride is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 164
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I think it's funny to read of the unsupported "facts" iPhone users have about the S3 (or Android in general)... it has viruses, it crashes all the time, games are not as good, app store, etc. I'm just not sure where they get all of these "facts". It's clear that they don't know either. Just ask one.

Here are some other "facts".... NFC works very well on the iPhone. It's easy to swap out the batter in the iPhone. The home screens can be set up in anyway you want... taylor them just how _you_ want them. You can add several widget to every home screen. Connecting the iPhone to any computer to transfer files without using bloated software is very nice. Storing GB's of video, photos, and music on the iPhone's SD card is easy. It's nice to be able to increase the external memory in the iPhone.

And the number one fact..... it's easy to get there from here with the iPhone!
Szadzik, saltz, hvrc and 1 others like this.
tcope is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,009
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 208
Thanked 572 Times in 450 Posts
Default

Show them this: Android Vs iOS The Truth about Apple and Google's OS Part 1 of 5 - YouTube
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman is online now  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
TobesEtc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 257
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 HTC One Google Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Widgets.
TobesEtc is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ylexot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Saint Inigoes, MD
Posts: 2,336
 
Device(s): VZW Galaxy S3, Transformer Prime, Droid X (ret)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 403 Times in 324 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
+1 ...and parts 2-5.
ylexot is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Australia, NSW.
Gender: Male
Posts: 7
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G
Carrier: Telstra

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFury View Post
Well, I'm a recent iPhone convert.

I was a Windows Mobile user for quite a while for several years, then I bought the (then) new iPhone 3 in 2009 to see what it was about. I recall being extremely disappointed because I couldn't transfer any files or apps to it except through iTunes sync, and only the things which Apple would allow. I had lost a freedom for a fancy trendy phone. I considered it a mistake. But I got used to the multitude of limitations.

Then I wanted some programs which were available on other devices, but Apple would not allow me to put on my iPhone. (It's like Apple owned my phone not me).

Apple only allows 5 computers to be used for syncing any one device. You can access your account at Apple to remove all 5 of those computers together, should you need it. But you can only do that once a calendar year.
I had 3 computers registered to sync with. 3 out of 5. Then I had a series of computer OS crashes which required reloading of the OS. Once restored I tried to re-register them in iTunes so I could sync my phone.

iTunes refused the register, saying I already had 5 out of 5 computers registered.
That really, really very much ticked me off.
I had to go through the hassle of calling Apple, talking to a representative and explaining everything so they can let me use my own phone again.

Now, when I had 5 iOS devices it was a form of paranoia when ever one of my computers showed signs of getting flaky and the 1st thing I had to do was UN-register my Apple account with the computer or risk being locked out of iTunes sync again, should the computer crash.

I had stuck with Apple for future phones simply because I had invested hundreds of $$ worth of iOS applications. A ball and chain.

Another big blow of disgust happened when they released iOS5 and introduced "Newsstand" which is a magazine subscription service through Apple. That in itself isn't so bad, except Apple doesn't allow you to hide it out of sight in a folder somewhere, they require you to keep it on your desktop. Some sales gimmick.

It truly pushed me over the edge when iOS6 came out and introduced another similar Apple sales gimmick called "Passbook". Apple wants you to buy all your movie, travel and entertainment purchases through them by using yet another permanently forced desktop icon. You can't hide it away in a folder, Apple won't let you.

I think the iPhone is a truly remarkable and great set of hardware, but unfortunately it's tied to Apple which I found extremely distasteful in their business practices and the way they treat customers.

Apple+iPhone make a great and unique cellphone combination for someone who doesn't mind having their smartphone experience 100% controlled by Apple, as it forces itself upon its consumers by string and carrot.

It's like someone else's dad taking you out for dinner. You really, really want to go out and dine at restaurant "A" but since dad is driving, you must go to restaurant "B" because he says so.
But that's OK, he'll let you choose between either this plate or that plate, as long as he approves (and keeps a % of the tip for himself before leaving).

Will a person just accept what "dad", the cellphone manufacturer says you can- and can not have, what you can have access to or what you can not do with your own phone? Yes, a lot of people accept it. Blindly and gladly. They also do the same regarding other things, but that's not a topic here.

My family of 5 all have wireless data lines. We all had iOS devices and my wife wanted me to upgrade to the new iPhone 5. Me? I had my fill of Apple and its Draconian regulations, restrictions and limitations. I had to break away so I began researching Android.

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S3 for less than a week, and the transition from iOS to Android is slow but steady. Even as I get used to it, I like my S3 much better than my iPhone 4. Not because it's faster, has a bigger screen and double the memory... but for the freedom from Apple.

I can breathe.

I don't know if that will help with your friend or not. I felt good writing it though.
I am an iPhone 4 user and am a couple of months from upgrading my phone to a new one.
I am VERY interested in the GS3 4g but like all iPhone owners I am not sure how to go about transferring all my contacts, music, photos. How did you perform this operation and what software if any did you use.
I am attracted to the GS3 for a few reasons- expandable memory, pc integration, functionality and less restrictions to name a couple.
Grantluvsbeer is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 703
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantluvsbeer View Post
I am an iPhone 4 user and am a couple of months from upgrading my phone to a new one.
I am VERY interested in the GS3 4g but like all iPhone owners I am not sure how to go about transferring all my contacts, music, photos. How did you perform this operation and what software if any did you use.
I am attracted to the GS3 for a few reasons- expandable memory, pc integration, functionality and less restrictions to name a couple.
Samsang kies has a itunes look and works similar this will allow you to add you music, movies and pictures
Heisenberg123 is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 446
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 191 Times in 150 Posts
Default

Ask the iphone users to set a song from their music list as a ringtone and then ask them to send a video from their phone.

Repeat this question to the S3 owner.
Kuhns787 likes this.
Yatezy is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Nexus 7
Carrier: giffgaff

Thanks: 136
Thanked 289 Times in 253 Posts
Default

Let him buy one, then everyday show him something he can't do with his iPhone.

It's fun.
Shocky is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shocky For This Useful Post:
gowcaizer1978 (October 5th, 2012), Johnny Doomzday (October 4th, 2012)
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 703
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatezy View Post
Ask the iphone users to set a song from their music list as a ringtone and then ask them to send a video from their phone.

Repeat this question to the S3 owner.

well i wish this was 100% true, i only get teh set as option in the music player if the MP3 is less than 2MB
Heisenberg123 is offline  
sponsored links
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
davoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London
Posts: 1,641
 
Device(s): Galaxy SIII
Carrier: 3UK

Thanks: 614
Thanked 570 Times in 433 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg123 View Post
well i wish this was 100% true, i only get teh set as option in the music player if the MP3 is less than 2MB
What happens if you try to set it from Settings>Sound>Device Ringtone?
davoid is online now  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 703
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davoid View Post
What happens if you try to set it from Settings>Sound>Device Ringtone?

when i do it this way I have to have the mp3 in a folder called Ringtones on my SDcard for them to appear in the list, to add rintones in the Music app they only work if its less than 2MB

when i use a different Music Player app from the play store I can set any MP3 as a rintone from the app which then adds to my Device Ringtone list

kind of annoying because i like the default Music Player best of the ones i tried

For now when I add Music to my device I just descide than if would also use it as a ringtone than I add it a second time to the Ringtones folder i created
Heisenberg123 is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:51 AM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have just sold my Iphone 4S on ebay and bought a new GS3, and wow I am so impressed with this phone. I bought the Iphone 3 years ago and was pretty much the bees knees back then, but I always hated Itunes.

Having used my GS3 for nearly a week I will never go back to "communist Apple", they have had their time in the sun IMO, and now it's time for Android/Google to shine and show the world how it's done.

I have always admired google and the way they see the world of business, and it is truly amazing such a huge company still exists in this day and age of greed and power.

I hope to see the demise of Microsoft Windows on a large scale into the future and hopefully squash the Apple ball and chain business strategies.
You can demand respect only for so long, but in the end true respect and admiration comes from honestly respecting the very people you want the respect in return from.

I have lost respect for Apple, and they have brought it upon themselves, it is only a matter of time until waves of people will see the same thing.........a wolf in sheeps clothing.
r34gtrgodzilla is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:27 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 223
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: AT & T

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r34gtrgodzilla View Post
I have always admired google and the way they see the world of business, and it is truly amazing such a huge company still exists in this day and age of greed and power.

<snip>

I have lost respect for Apple.
Jobs' biography really soured me to Apple. I always pictured him as a beneign visionary with gentle monk-like qualities. Reading his book I see that he was actually more of a maniacal, condescending, tyrrant which is a personallity type I have a particular distaste for...

...though I still think Apple's products are 'cool' and set a very high bar. Without them, we'd still be using dumb flip phones and clunkly desktop computers. Capitalism works!
Pappy35 is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM   #25 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Richland Hills, TX
Posts: 999
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; HTC Evo 3D (wife); HTC Evo 4G (gone)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 52
Thanked 198 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
I had to register just to post in this one thread...

WHO CARES WHAT PHONE SHE BOUGHT?! Do you really give enough crap that you had to come on another forum, and post a 3rd party chat log via facebook from your friend? Does it make you feel better having people side with you? Seriously, just ridiculous.
Glad you posted this as I tend to have trouble with this way I say things.

OP, this isn't directed at you, because I am addressing the issue, not the poster, per forum rules. I value you as a member of this community.

Why in the world would it matter if someone wanted to get rid of one device in favor of another? That's on them. If they have a question for me, I'll gladly answer it and if they want an opinion, I'll provide one. As to whether or not they make the "right" decision, that is up to the end user. If they make a decision they ultimately regret based on some bad information from biased persons, well, tough break. Do better homework. I guess I don't see the point in trying to find ammo for an argument that is so senseless. My coworker has an iPhone and not once has the thought of trying to talk him out of it ever crossed my mind.

Strange world we live in.
bvbull200 is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Covart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 720
 
Device(s): SGS III i747 / Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 48
Thanked 154 Times in 121 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
I had to register just to post in this one thread...

WHO CARES WHAT PHONE SHE BOUGHT?! Do you really give enough crap that you had to come on another forum, and post a 3rd party chat log via facebook from your friend? Does it make you feel better having people side with you? Seriously, just ridiculous.

They both have their advantages. Apple makes a great phone, great product, and for less techie people, this is the best and most obvious choice. Their hardware blows ANY android out of the water hands down. Think of it as a Rolex. Yes apple has a lockdown on things, but with any jailbreak there is a way around it. It has lower hardware specs, but still out performs the American s3.

Now for us tech folks that love to tinker, change out roms and kernels to get the absolute best performance from our phones the Android is great. But they are also cheaper and not nearly as well engineered. Yes they have more features, but to access the same features the iphones have, you have to jump through like 6 more steps. Think of android like a timex watch. Cheaper and more features, but it's not a rolex...

And the Play store is not even remotely as safe as the itunes store. Google does NO code reviews on apps. It is easy for somebody to insert malicious code if they want to. Why do you think so many anti-viruses exist for Android and not Iphone? Because of Apples walled garden. Some of you think of it as a curse, but for people that don't have much tech experience and don't know what the hell they are doing, its a godsend.

2-3 years ago, the Iphone was the absolute best phone on the market. Now that android has had some time to catch up, they are on par. Same apps, similar performance. Android has more features, but the Iphone is far more well engineered than any android handset. Not to mention Apple has excellent customer service, and will not hesitate to replace a handset if you have any issues.


THE ONLY THING that has me hanging on to my S3 and not going to the Iphone 5 is SIXAXIS!!!
Wow. I wouldn't have registered to post any of that info, since it is wrong. I've owned many ios devices over the years, even put some of my own tweaks on Cydia, but you really need to do your own research and stop reading propaganda sites like AppleInsider or MacRumors. Your Rolex analogy was the tip off, by the way.

1. Realize that the hardware in the iPhone is made by companies like Samsung, LG and Sharp. Just because many Android manufacturers choose to use lighter polycarbonate material, does not mean the hardware is crap. By your logic, a Chevy Corvette would be a crap car.

2. iTunes/App Store and security: Between the App Store and Google play, which one had the most recent large scale Malware infection? Between the iPhone and any Android phone, which one can view the permissions of the app before installation.
Now, I have spent thousands of dollars on itunes and the app store and in the last 5 years, my account was hacked twice! Luckily, I check my bank info regularly and stopped the thiefs before the got very far. You know how easy it has been for people to call Apple and get a persons account info changed, so I can control it? Do a Google search and see.
Apple is not this pristine perfect little world people think it is.

I don't post this to argue with you or belittle you, I simply want you to research this info yourself, instead of regurgitating Apple propoganda. I do agree with you about Apple's Customer Service and telling the less tech inclined people to go Apple. I mean, the iPhone is literally a dumpphone that can surf the web and video chat. It's perfect for your 90 year old grandma.
gowcaizer1978 and ImNraged like this.
Covart is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Covart For This Useful Post:
ImNraged (January 23rd, 2013)
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:56 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Covart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 720
 
Device(s): SGS III i747 / Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 48
Thanked 154 Times in 121 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocky View Post
Let him buy one, then everyday show him something he can't do with his iPhone.

It's fun.
You mean like attaching a pic and a document to an email? Download a torrent? Use a file manager? Place an icon anywhere you want on the screen? Connect periferal usb and bluetooth devices to it, like a mouse? Be able to alter your keyboard if you don't like the stock one?
Things like these?
gowcaizer1978 and saltz like this.
Covart is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Nexus 7
Carrier: giffgaff

Thanks: 136
Thanked 289 Times in 253 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covart View Post
You mean like attaching a pic and a document to an email? Download a torrent? Use a file manager? Place an icon anywhere you want on the screen? Connect periferal usb and bluetooth devices to it, like a mouse? Be able to alter your keyboard if you don't like the stock one?
Things like these?
Yep and now you can add youtube and google maps.

Theres also the ability to play almost any media format that exists, not only can you download a video from a torrent source you an also play it without searching for another video player, same for music.

The idea of having to convert all my media just seems insane and very backwards considering it's 2012.
Shocky is offline  
Last edited by Shocky; October 3rd, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Covart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 720
 
Device(s): SGS III i747 / Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 48
Thanked 154 Times in 121 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantluvsbeer View Post
I am an iPhone 4 user and am a couple of months from upgrading my phone to a new one.
I am VERY interested in the GS3 4g but like all iPhone owners I am not sure how to go about transferring all my contacts, music, photos. How did you perform this operation and what software if any did you use.
I am attracted to the GS3 for a few reasons- expandable memory, pc integration, functionality and less restrictions to name a couple.
CNET just did a step by step "How to" guide for this very question. Contacts requires a csv file to be exported from your iphone to computer and then to your S3.
You don't need any program to move all your pics and vids. Buy a micro sd card for your S3 (make sure it comes with a regular sd adaptor, so you can plug it into your computer,) then open the folder where your itunes vids and music is stored on your pc, copy and paste to your micro sd card. Stick card in phone. Done. BTW, since you have converted your view to m4v or mov format, you can play them with the stock vid player on the S3. If you hav3 avi or mkv files, you will need an aftermarket vid player to watch these formats, like the free MX Player app.
Covart is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Nexus 7
Carrier: giffgaff

Thanks: 136
Thanked 289 Times in 253 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covart View Post
If you hav3 avi or mkv files, you will need an aftermarket vid player to watch these formats, like the free MX Player app.
Nope, The Galaxy S3 stock video player handles them just fine.
Shocky is offline  
sponsored links
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 446
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 191 Times in 150 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg123 View Post
well i wish this was 100% true, i only get teh set as option in the music player if the MP3 is less than 2MB
Thats strange, my current ringtone is a 7 MB file and just set a 70+ MB file as one and it didnt tell stop me
Yatezy is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 703
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatezy View Post
Thats strange, my current ringtone is a 7 MB file and just set a 70+ MB file as one and it didnt tell stop me

im starting to think its my carrier that put some restriction on it, very frustrating
Heisenberg123 is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:16 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 446
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 191 Times in 150 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg123 View Post
im starting to think its my carrier that put some restriction on it, very frustrating
It does seem like there is an unnecessary restriction in place
Yatezy is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
davoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London
Posts: 1,641
 
Device(s): Galaxy SIII
Carrier: 3UK

Thanks: 614
Thanked 570 Times in 433 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg123 View Post
when i do it this way I have to have the mp3 in a folder called Ringtones on my SDcard for them to appear in the list
If you have a file explorer app installed, such as ES File Explorer, then when you go to change the ringtone through Settings>Sound>Device Ringtone you should have two options: as well as using the system (which uses the Ringtones folder) you should also have an option to use the explorer to browse to whichever audio file you wish, anywhere on the phone.
Kuhns787 likes this.
davoid is online now  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:28 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 703
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davoid View Post
If you have a file explorer app installed, such as ES File Explorer, then when you go to change the ringtone through Settings>Sound>Device Ringtone you should have two options: as well as using the system (which uses the Ringtones folder) you should also have an option to use the explorer to browse to whichever audio file you wish, anywhere on the phone.

thanks ill give it a try

edit: thanks this method deos work
davoid likes this.
Heisenberg123 is offline  
Last edited by Heisenberg123; October 3rd, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 472
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, stock JellyBean rom, rooted and unlocked!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocky View Post
Nope, The Galaxy S3 stock video player handles them just fine.
I'm sure it depends on what codec you encoded the AVI with. There are plenty of choices out there.
__________________
Got Google?
MicroNix is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
aznguyen316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covart View Post
You mean like attaching a pic and a document to an email? Download a torrent? Use a file manager? Place an icon anywhere you want on the screen? Connect periferal usb and bluetooth devices to it, like a mouse? Be able to alter your keyboard if you don't like the stock one?
Things like these?
My fiancee who has an iPhone would never care to do any of this stuff. She hates my s3 though. Can't navigate it. My mom has an s2 and none of that stuff matters to her either Haha. I did have to go into her s2 and remove all these auto downloaded bikini pictures and installed a virus scanner... /shrug some features aren't for everybody
Different strokes for different folks.
aznguyen316 is offline  
Last edited by aznguyen316; October 3rd, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:49 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Kuhns787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Oregon
Gender: Female
Posts: 251
 
Device(s): Samsung S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatezy View Post
Ask the iphone users to set a song from their music list as a ringtone and then ask them to send a video from their phone.

Repeat this question to the S3 owner.
This was a big deal for me and part of why I am an android fan! I want to control my music on the go without having to convert music or us itunes. If my friend sends me a funny sound clip and I want to use it for a ringtone all I have to do is save it to my phone and BAM! there it is.
Kuhns787 is offline  
Old October 4th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,009
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 208
Thanked 572 Times in 450 Posts
Default

Speaking of bugs, here's one that affects all Apple devices running iOS 6: Bug in iOS 6 may cancel meetings for Exchange users
Stuntman is online now  
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Nexus 7
Carrier: giffgaff

Thanks: 136
Thanked 289 Times in 253 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroNix View Post
I'm sure it depends on what codec you encoded the AVI with. There are plenty of choices out there.
Of course it does, there will always be some not supported but they are rare, I've never found any AVI or MKV files I can't play on my Galaxy S3.

I'm sure if I went looking for video using obscure video codecs I would find something that wont play but I don't.
Shocky is offline  
Last edited by Shocky; October 4th, 2012 at 04:53 AM.
sponsored links
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
YankeeDudeL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,174
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, OG Droid, Droid Incredible, Droid Charge, Droid Bionic, Samsung Stratosphere, Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,352
Thanked 519 Times in 301 Posts
Send a message via AIM to YankeeDudeL Send a message via Yahoo to YankeeDudeL
Default

As a friend and colleague of zerojjc, I'd just like to welcome him to AF. You're in good company with like-minded folks.
__________________
"How many bloody Gs are there?"
YankeeDudeL is offline  
Old October 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
Posts: 233
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy S3, ASUS Transformer TF101
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Zerojjc,

[SARCASM]I would tell her to take it back. Maybe she would be better without a phone. If someone is so insecure (read that as the Apple folks in this scenario AND your friend) that she needs someone else to tell her what to buy and or take back because it is not "cool" then maybe a phone is just too much?[/SARCASM]

I give my iPhone 5 buddy crap and he returns it in kind about my S3. It is all in good fun and really it boils down to this "WHO CARES?". I know this is sometimes hard for people but just be happy with who/what/where you are and with the decisions you have made (unless they are truly negative decisions ; but we are only talking about a phone here).

My favorite answer to friends with questions like these are: Here are the details of each device/choice please do NOT believe me about this information. Read it yourself and make the best decision available "FOR YOU". This is usually the same method I use on forums. I would much rather provide a link to recognized "authority figures" and let someone choose/figure it out of themselves.
Ches111 is offline  
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
clitrenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wisconsin - USA
Gender: Female
Posts: 467
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s (work), Galaxy Note 3, Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Galaxy Gear
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 8
Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts
clitrenta
Default

Some of those statements are either spoken out of ignorance or just downright dumb. I'm an IT Professional and while some of us have iPhones, others have Android (me included). There a true pros and cons for each device but the case these other people make mostly just misses the boat. While the iphone is pretty much a solid device, Apple's control over the whole Apple world is just suffrocating. A lot of it has been mentioned here but I'll just make a short list of what I find the most annoying:
1. Password every darn time you use app store
2. Have to call Apple for all software questions for which they'd like to charge you
3. Can't just drag and drop files at will, forced to use iTunes
4. While phone is well made, it also breaks unbelievably easy if you drop it
5. To small - always pinching to see things
6. proprietary charging port
7. No widgets and NO back button (navigating is a PAIN)
8. iCloud looks like a kid designed it (regardless of how well it might work)
9. Little if any customization
10. No SD card slot
11. No removeable battery
12. No NFC (Really Apple? c'mon)
13. No Google Maps any more (how's that working out for you?)

These are but a few and others can add more I'm sure. All I know is that I gave up my iPhone 4s to get the S3 and I have not regretted it for one moment.
__________________
Connie L
clitrenta is offline  
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
Posts: 233
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy S3, ASUS Transformer TF101
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Default

On top of what I said before. Just tell her friends (loosely used term) to "Get Bent! How about supporting her for her decision you bunch of D-Bags?"

Yeah that about sums all this up!
phil75231 likes this.
Ches111 is offline  
Old October 5th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #45 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
SteveFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantluvsbeer View Post
I am an iPhone 4 user and am a couple of months from upgrading my phone to a new one.
I am VERY interested in the GS3 4g but like all iPhone owners I am not sure how to go about transferring all my contacts, music, photos. How did you perform this operation and what software if any did you use.
I am attracted to the GS3 for a few reasons- expandable memory, pc integration, functionality and less restrictions to name a couple.
Me, personally have about 20 contacts so I just entered them manually.

I had a 3rd party Contacts manager on my iPhone which can save all of them onto a universal CSV file. I have seen Android contact apps which can restore CSV contact backup files. I'd use those types of apps if I had a large number of contacts to transfer.

One unexpected improvement from my iPhone 4 to S3 is internet transfer speed. My IP4 was around 2-3MBPS and my S3 is 14-18MBPS. Blazing.
SteveFury is offline  
Old October 5th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
clitrenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wisconsin - USA
Gender: Female
Posts: 467
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s (work), Galaxy Note 3, Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Galaxy Gear
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 8
Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts
clitrenta
Default

I also used a csv file. A little clunky but it gets the job done. I have experienced both Apple's and Google's cloud and I just prefer Google's. It's more flexible and, in my opinion, more professional looking. An added benefit is if you decide at some point to use Google Voice. It uses the same Google contact list as GMAIL (obviously). The whole Google experience is more vast and does so much more. I imagine iPhone users might argue the point but Apple simply doesn't have the wealth of apps available that Google does.
clitrenta is offline  
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:56 AM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
SteveFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I am reviving this old thread simply to say that I love my S3 and very glad I didn't get the iPhone 5.

I bought a 64 gig card from Amazon and an extended battery just before Christmas, both was around $70 including shipping.

Wow holy geeze.... I have a total 80gig storage capacity and my battery capacity is outrageous. If I use my phone for a few calls a day it will last almost a week between charge. If I use it almost constantly to play games, surf and other busy work it will last all day and have almost 60% battery remaining. And that's with the screen auto brightness turned off, turned 3/4 toward the bright side.

Some friends of mine made the mistake of going with iPhone 5. I see at&t is charging $400 for a 64gig model with a 2-year contract and Amazon lists them for around $630 for only 16gig.

If I got an iPhone 5 with my at&t account I'd have paid ~210 more (Including the Samsung upgrades). I'd have a phone with substantially less memory and dramatically less battery life.

According to reviews the iPhone 5 users are satisfied with a phone that lasts only 8-10 hours and will go dead the next day unless recharged the night before. I wasn't happy with my OEM Samsung battery but this extended version is awesome.

I'm not sure why anyone would want a sub-par smartphone and pay substantially more for it.
Oh, other than "It's an iPhone". Oh, and they're still chained to Apple's EULA, DRM and control of their phone software.
Phooey.
SteveFury is offline  
Last edited by SteveFury; January 21st, 2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:15 AM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 85
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Good lord, who cares what kind of phone someone has? If you like androids buy them, if you like iphones buy those....

People are weird. She needs to tell her "friends" to go do something unnatural to themselves.
DroidBabe likes this.
StandingCow is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to StandingCow For This Useful Post:
DroidBabe (January 21st, 2013)
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:38 AM   #49 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFury View Post
I am reviving this old thread simply to say that I love my S3 and very glad I didn't get the iPhone 5.

I bought a 64 gig card from Amazon and an extended battery just before Christmas, both was around $70 including shipping.
Out of interest, what extended battery did you buy? Does it make the phone bulky?
neatheyc is offline  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:43 PM   #50 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatheyc View Post
Out of interest, what extended battery did you buy? Does it make the phone bulky?
Also wonder this
tc5998 is offline  
Closed Thread

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S III
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale!
Samsung Galaxy S III

  The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the company's flagship device of 2012. As one of the most anticipated devices of the year, this device is the first to come with a Exynos 4 Quad processor. It also has Android 4.0, a 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED ... Read More

Tags
android, apple, droid, galaxy, gs3, iii, iphone


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.