Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Szadzik
  • 1 Post By SUroot

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 4th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Best App to manage wi-fi on the S3

Hi, I use a combination of Juice Defender and Green Power premium at the moment.

For night settings it's ok. But for day settings - It's not great.

I sometimes download large spotify playlists or email files and then have to turn the phone off for a meeting. By the end of the meeting the file downloaded 20%. So how can I make sure it downloads it all - then switches off wi-fi to save battery?

Thanks

smallclone is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hove, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 325
 
Device(s): HTC One M8 - Unbranded, Stock 4.4.2
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 27
Thanked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
By the end of the meeting the file downloaded 20%. So how can I make sure it downloads it all - then switches off wi-fi to save battery?

Thanks
Are you using the full version of JuiceDefender?

If so you can set individual apps to keep Wi-fi alive when they are running in the background - that is when the screen is blank.
blenky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Are you using the full version of JuiceDefender?

If so you can set individual apps to keep Wi-fi alive when they are running in the background - that is when the screen is blank.
Thanks, I have Juice defender pro, one down from the ultimate.

I'll give that a go.
smallclone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 208
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

You are trying to save power, but by using multiple apps to save it, you will just waste more.
SUroot likes this.
__________________
OT MaxDB, CD1, CD5, J5, GD96, ME45, T68i, X6, CX65, A925, E398, MPx200, X6-2, OT715, D600E, W810, M600i, BB8100, W880, N95-2, P1i, Ignito, W880, X1, MS1, MS2, TP851, XT910, GTab 10.1, SGS3, SGS4, SGNote 10.1, Nexus 7 II
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
You are trying to save power, but by using multiple apps to save it, you will just waste more.
I have to have somethign to turn my wi-fi off and on and go into airplane mode between 1am and 7am.

These apps do that. If there's another way of doing it I'd like to know.
smallclone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 208
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
I have to have somethign to turn my wi-fi off and on and go into airplane mode between 1am and 7am.

These apps do that. If there's another way of doing it I'd like to know.
There is one app that you need. It is more expensive than most, but will rplace 3-5 apps of Juice Defender type and do 100x more things above that.

Tasker.
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
There is one app that you need. It is more expensive than most, but will rplace 3-5 apps of Juice Defender type and do 100x more things above that.

Tasker.
Thanks. Looks good, also looks complicated though.
smallclone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

It is complicated and a massive learning curve but it is fantastic.

We have a dedicated "Tasker" Forum here too. The only app with its own forum. Link in my signature.
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SUroot For This Useful Post:
davoid (October 5th, 2012), KOLIO (October 4th, 2012)
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post
It is complicated and a massive learning curve but it is fantastic.

We have a dedicated "Tasker" Forum here too. The only app with its own forum. Link in my signature.
My word.

Ok, well I'll see how the phone runs and seriously think about giving Tasker a whirl.
smallclone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ylexot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Saint Inigoes, MD
Posts: 2,336
 
Device(s): VZW Galaxy S3, Transformer Prime, Droid X (ret)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 403 Times in 324 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post
It is complicated and a massive learning curve but it is fantastic.

We have a dedicated "Tasker" Forum here too. The only app with its own forum. Link in my signature.
Sweet! Didn't know we had a dedicated Tasker forum (I have sigs turned off, so never saw yours).
ylexot is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

yeah Davoid campaigned for it.

Link: http://androidforums.com/tasker
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ylexot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Saint Inigoes, MD
Posts: 2,336
 
Device(s): VZW Galaxy S3, Transformer Prime, Droid X (ret)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 403 Times in 324 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
My word.

Ok, well I'll see how the phone runs and seriously think about giving Tasker a whirl.
Here's a good beginner guide:



He has two more videos about Tasker as well.
ylexot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I'll have a look at that video, becauuse I downloaded it 2 hours ago and I have not a clue what i am doing.

It's extremely complicated. I think I'll be using juice defender tbh.
smallclone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

Its easier than you think.

Think of it like this:

Tasks - The things you want it to do. eg turn off wifi.
Context - The thing that triggers the task. eg a time (18:00)

Profile - The profile is the context and the Task combined. Generally most things you create will be a profile with a context and a task....
davoid likes this.
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SUroot For This Useful Post:
davoid (October 5th, 2012)
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post
Its easier than you think.

Think of it like this:

Tasks - The things you want it to do. eg turn off wifi.
Context - The thing that triggers the task. eg a time (18:00)

Profile - The profile is the context and the Task combined. Generally most things you create will be a profile with a context and a task....
I can't even seem to import a ready made example into Tasker. So the chances of creating my own at the moment are slim.
smallclone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

Depends how you're importing it. Is it Directly from The Wiki? If so I dont think that is the best way to go.

The best way would be to long press the link and save as. Then you just put it in the right place /sdcard/tasker/profiles then long press the Profiles tab > Import.
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

We should take this here:

How do I donwload an example profile?
smallclone is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smallclone For This Useful Post:
SUroot (October 4th, 2012)
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post
Depends how you're importing it. Is it Directly from The Wiki? If so I dont think that is the best way to go.

The best way would be to long press the link and save as. Then you just put it in the right place /sdcard/tasker/profiles then long press the Profiles tab > Import.
How do you get the tasker script into the tasker folder? When i click on the download link I just get a load of computer langauge, can not do anything with it?
gkf9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkf9 View Post
How do you get the tasker script into the tasker folder? When i click on the download link I just get a load of computer langauge, can not do anything with it?
I had to email the files to myself and then save them to phone
smallclone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
I had to email the files to myself and then save them to phone
Sorted.

Thanks
gkf9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #21 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkf9 View Post
How do you get the tasker script into the tasker folder? When i click on the download link I just get a load of computer langauge, can not do anything with it?
My browser is chrome so with that I just long press the link and "save link as"
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Penna. USA
Posts: 52
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: AT & T

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Hi,
I've been using Auto WiFi Toggle and it works great.
Give it a try, there's a free and a Plus pay version.
Ken
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appspot.eikatou0.autowifionoff&hl=e n
kenfb1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 315
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfb1 View Post
Hi,
I've been using Auto WiFi Toggle and it works great.
Give it a try, there's a free and a Plus pay version.
Ken
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appspot.eikatou0.autowifionoff&hl=e n

+1....love it....free app, simple app, and it just works. It is timer-based rather than location based but I've found it to work well for me. There are some other discussions about this so I'd do a search for threads and read those.
Hogan773 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rushmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,212
 
Device(s): GS4, Excite 7.7, iPad Air, Note 2014 10.1
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 363
Thanked 1,269 Times in 883 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post
Its easier than you think.

Think of it like this:

Tasks - The things you want it to do. eg turn off wifi.
Context - The thing that triggers the task. eg a time (18:00)

Profile - The profile is the context and the Task combined. Generally most things you create will be a profile with a context and a task....

It would be nice if that could be triggered if weak 3g dbm, since that is a key reason for battery drain. Set a custom dbm threshold for when data radio shuts off and wifi turns on.
rushmore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Easilyamused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 337
 
Device(s): iPad 2 16gb, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 144 Times in 33 Posts
Default

get rid of juice defender and green power. let android manage the wifi. you don't need other apps and turning off wifi will give you no significant power savings. don't believe me? add a battery monitor such as gsam or betterbatterystats. you'll see power consumption of wifi is insignificant.

here's an example. almost 10 hours and wifi usage in a non-coverage area is 3 tenths of a percent:

Easilyamused is offline  
Last edited by Easilyamused; October 5th, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 208
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
It would be nice if that could be triggered if weak 3g dbm, since that is a key reason for battery drain. Set a custom dbm threshold for when data radio shuts off and wifi turns on.
I am repeating myself - Tasker.
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #27 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easilyamused View Post
get rid of juice defender and green power. let android manage the wifi. you don't need other apps and turning off wifi will give you no significant power savings. don't believe me? add a battery monitor such as gsam or betterbatterystats. you'll see power consumption of wifi is insignificant.

here's an example. almost 10 hours and wifi usage in a non-coverage area is 3 tenths of a percent:

I may try this and see if it's as you say but I do like wi-fi being on when I turn on. Going off when I turn off - and staying on for a while if I'm downlaoding a large file.
smallclone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easilyamused View Post
get rid of juice defender and green power. let android manage the wifi. you don't need other apps and turning off wifi will give you no significant power savings.
But how do you turn off wifi when your screen turns off using this method?

I don't want it on all the time
smallclone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S III
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale!
Samsung Galaxy S III

  The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the company's flagship device of 2012. As one of the most anticipated devices of the year, this device is the first to come with a Exynos 4 Quad processor. It also has Android 4.0, a 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.