Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Regarding S3's wifi notification for VZW, is the phone still worth it?

My contract expires in the beginning of March and I'm deciding between 2 phones: iPhone 5 and GS3. I have Verizon as my provider.

I've been reading and discovered about this "WiFi Ongoing notification." Long story short, it's an annoying popup that can only be removed by going through a pretty complicated process that involves downloading apps and entering code and rebooting the phone.

Okay. WTF.

To be honest, I'm a simpleton who does not want to buy a $200 phone only to have to download crap and code things in and reboot it just to have a functional phone. If I buy the GS3 in March, which by that time I will assume it will already have Jelly Bean, will this wifi notification still be an issue? Does Jelly Bean resolve it? If not, should I just say screw it and buy the iPhone 5 since I honestly do not want to deal with all this baggage?

I really do like the GS3's screen size though...that's the main reason I want it over the iPhone, and of course because of all the hype and reviews.

Advertisements
bruinfanfare is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Musky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,749
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3. Unrevoked Rooted Incredible (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 400
Thanked 338 Times in 214 Posts
Default

First of all, this "problem" does not happen to ALL S3's. The four in my family have never had this issue, either with ICS or Jelly Bean.

Second, I have heard rumors that the S4 will be out in April, so if you have to wait until March anyway, why not wait a few weeks longer?
Musky is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
quickaudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 2,961
 
Device(s): VZW G'Note2 VZW SGS3 VZW Galaxy Nexus Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 100
Thanked 348 Times in 288 Posts
Send a message via AIM to quickaudi
Default

Bingo on S4, or Moto X, or etc...
quickaudi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musky View Post
First of all, this "problem" does not happen to ALL S3's. The four in my family have never had this issue, either with ICS or Jelly Bean.

Second, I have heard rumors that the S4 will be out in April, so if you have to wait until March anyway, why not wait a few weeks longer?
Well, it's just rumored for April at least...but even then, just because it comes out in April doesn't mean I'll get it in April. Most likely it'll be sold out, then I'd have to pre order it and wait another 1 month. So it could realistically be summer 2013 before I even get the S4 or iPhone 5S.

But anyways...I'm looking to get a phone as early as the 1st week of March (literally the earliest I can sign a new 2 year contract).

So...can you elaborate what you mean when not all phones have this issue? I would imagine this is a software issue...so it should apply to all VZW S3 phones. And what if mine does have it? lol, gg?
bruinfanfare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Musky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,749
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3. Unrevoked Rooted Incredible (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 400
Thanked 338 Times in 214 Posts
Default

You're a real "half empty" kind of guy, aren't you?

If you check the various threads about this WiFi issue, and there are a few, you'll see many posts from S3 owners who have not had this issue, and as I said, I have direct contact with four S3's that have never experienced this WiFi notification problem. So it is either caused by some app conflict or some hardware bug that some S3's experience, I would suppose. But, I'm certainly not an Android technician, so I don't have a definite answer.

There are a lot of very happy S3 owners in this forum, so it can't be all that bad of an issue!
Musky is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
quickaudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 2,961
 
Device(s): VZW G'Note2 VZW SGS3 VZW Galaxy Nexus Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 100
Thanked 348 Times in 288 Posts
Send a message via AIM to quickaudi
Default

FWIW, even with the exact same software, hardware can still behave differently amongst subset. There is, for example, a small group of CDMA Gnex owners with horrible Bluetooth audio quality. Not a bunch, but a few.

Can u post a screenshot of your issue? Heck, if one bug is ail that is coming between you and happiness, I think it would be worth thirty minutes to just download the app and fix the problem.
quickaudi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,475
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

March 2013 is so far away in terms of mobile tech. 3 months is equivalent to 1 year in tech age. IMO, the S3 will not be worth paying $200 on contract in March. If it was a free phone or close to free then it'll totally be worth it even with that minor ongoing wifi issue.
__________________
My Drid does... your phne duhs...
xmr405o is offline  
Last edited by xmr405o; December 25th, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wolfedude88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Plainfield, Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,754
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA(Red)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 357
Thanked 555 Times in 357 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musky View Post
You're a real "half empty" kind of guy, aren't you?

If you check the various threads about this WiFi issue, and there are a few, you'll see many posts from S3 owners who have not had this issue, and as I said, I have direct contact with four S3's that have never experienced this WiFi notification problem. So it is either caused by some app conflict or some hardware bug that some S3's experience, I would suppose. But, I'm certainly not an Android technician, so I don't have a definite answer.

There are a lot of very happy S3 owners in this forum, so it can't be all that bad of an issue!
Isn't he talking about the wifi notifcation popup that ask you to join "certain wifi networks" I am pretty sure that is on all Verizon GS3, DNA, Note 2, and most newer android phones on Verizon now.
Wolfedude88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
quickaudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 2,961
 
Device(s): VZW G'Note2 VZW SGS3 VZW Galaxy Nexus Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 100
Thanked 348 Times in 288 Posts
Send a message via AIM to quickaudi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfedude88 View Post
Isn't he talking about the wifi notifcation popup that ask you to join "certain wifi networks" I am pretty sure that is on all Verizon GS3, DNA, Note 2, and most newer android phones on Verizon now.
I think so, but wanted to make sure.
That is there because VZW doesn't want their customers going over their data limits since their new plans are not unlimited.
quickaudi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfedude88 View Post
Isn't he talking about the wifi notifcation popup that ask you to join "certain wifi networks" I am pretty sure that is on all Verizon GS3, DNA, Note 2, and most newer android phones on Verizon now.
Yes that's the one I'm talking about...I don't really want to keep pressing "Remind me later" or whatever every time I open my web browser and such. From what I've been reading, it's easy to remove once you root your phone and install some app...but like I said...I really just don't want to do it I feel like I shouldn't HAVE to go through all this if I'm shelling out $200 for a new phone. I've never had a smart phone before, so it irks me a little bit that it shouldn't be ready out of the box.

I don't mind the iPhone, truth be told, and I love Apple products, but I always thought the screen was just really small compared to Android phones.
bruinfanfare is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Funnyusername's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 319
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Galaxy S3, Moto X
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 5
Thanked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Default

I would not buy the S3 for $200 in March if the S4 is coming out in the next couple months, or even during the summer. Getting the S3 for like 100 bucks or less...then I can see your argument.

Plus, there will be a much better phone out in March. Somewhere.
Funnyusername is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 42
 
Device(s): Dx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I am not into rooting and custom roms but I was able to follow the instructions to get rid of the annoying wifi pop up by following the simple steps here: Want to get rid of the VZW wifi pop-up reminder without rooting? Come on in!

It is easy and worth it. I assume as other said that VZW is going to start putting that on all of their phones. Maybe it is because I have unlimited data and they want to try to save as much as they can.
Davoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
quickaudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 2,961
 
Device(s): VZW G'Note2 VZW SGS3 VZW Galaxy Nexus Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 100
Thanked 348 Times in 288 Posts
Send a message via AIM to quickaudi
Default

Wouldn't they put it on the iPhone too?
quickaudi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Musky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,749
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3. Unrevoked Rooted Incredible (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 400
Thanked 338 Times in 214 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfedude88 View Post
Isn't he talking about the wifi notifcation popup that ask you to join "certain wifi networks" I am pretty sure that is on all Verizon GS3, DNA, Note 2, and most newer android phones on Verizon now.
I feel left out! I never get this notification. When I am on 3G/4G I can browse the net, email, etc and nothing ever pops up asking me if I want to join a certain WiFi network. Maybe because there are no WiFi connections available when I'm out and around? But, I can't believe that, I'm in a very populated area and many restaurants have WiFI hotspots, but if I want to connect to them, I have to turn WiFi on and manually connect, it never asks me if I want to.

Maybe it's because I automatically turn my WiFi off and my mobile data on when I leave the house? If that is the reason, that's not so hard to do.
Musky is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickaudi View Post
Wouldn't they put it on the iPhone too?
I haven't found anything about it online, so I guess not?
bruinfanfare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wolfedude88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Plainfield, Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,754
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA(Red)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 357
Thanked 555 Times in 357 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musky View Post
I feel left out! I never get this notification. When I am on 3G/4G I can browse the net, email, etc and nothing ever pops up asking me if I want to join a certain WiFi network. Maybe because there are no WiFi connections available when I'm out and around? But, I can't believe that, I'm in a very populated area and many restaurants have WiFI hotspots, but if I want to connect to them, I have to turn WiFi on and manually connect, it never asks me if I want to.

Maybe it's because I automatically turn my WiFi off and my mobile data on when I leave the house? If that is the reason, that's not so hard to do.
Yeah I believe if your wifi is off then you will not get the notification, while it is an easy fix it is still dumb and inconvenient. It is just annoying, not a deal breaker for me.

Also the iphone will never have it unless apple allows it, which they never will. Verizon isn't doing it for us, it is for us to use less of their data.
Wolfedude88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 677
 
Device(s): Droid X, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 12
Thanked 70 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Just for the record I never have received this notification and my wifi is on all the time and I am on Verizon with the S3. I know there was a reported problem with it but I never saw it.
davidmanvell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 111
 
Device(s): GS3
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 5
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Same here, just got mine ($100 @ radio shack) and haven't seen any crazy annoying wifi biz yet. But I'm still open to the idea of it happening.
wolf_walker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
live~laugh~love
 
damewolf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,090
 
Device(s): White Samsung Galaxy Note 2 AT&T, Black Samsung Galaxy S4 VZW, White Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
Carrier: AT&T and Verizon

Thanks: 5,438
Thanked 2,667 Times in 1,393 Posts
Default

I remember getting this message a few times when my VZW S3 was new, but after a few days, it just dissappeared. Maybe I changed a setting or something, but I haven't had that pop up message in several months.
__________________
Never Lookin' Back!
damewolf13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
quickaudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 2,961
 
Device(s): VZW G'Note2 VZW SGS3 VZW Galaxy Nexus Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 100
Thanked 348 Times in 288 Posts
Send a message via AIM to quickaudi
Default

And, I know how to fix it.

Go to Settings > WiFi > Notify Me

Uncheck it. DONE!
quickaudi is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S III
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale!
Samsung Galaxy S III

  The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the company's flagship device of 2012. As one of the most anticipated devices of the year, this device is the first to come with a Exynos 4 Quad processor. It also has Android 4.0, a 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.