Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rcsrich

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 50
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Defaults reset whenever phone turns off

Anyone else find after the latest S3 update that when you restart your phone everything now goes back to the original samsung defaults for things like keyboard and default tones etc.
it's really annoying so wondered if anyone else has had this and managed to find a solution.

bigsmokefarmer is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 4th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 771
 
Device(s): Samsung GS3 stock, Nexus 7 stock, Nook Color CM 10.1,
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 125
Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmokefarmer View Post
Anyone else find after the latest S3 update that when you restart your phone everything now goes back to the original samsung defaults for things like keyboard and default tones etc.
it's really annoying so wondered if anyone else has had this and managed to find a solution.
It's a known issue with the 4.1.1 update on the S3, I've heard that it will likely be addressed in the 4.1.2 update, but I haven't seen any current solutions posted. I have the issue with Swiftkey- goes back to the default keyboard on every reboot.

I don't know if rooting might make a difference as I think I remember reading somewhere it has to do with apps not being given the proper permissions by the Android system.
rcsrich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 50
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Sadly I already have 4.1.2 so I guess I've just got to put up with it. I guess it's a pain in the back side but not unmanageable
bigsmokefarmer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master X is Watching You
 
XplosiV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,412
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 16GB Blue (x2) 4.1.1 ****** Galaxy mini ****** Galaxy Tab 8.9, ****** Galaxy Portal 2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK!

Thanks: 723
Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,531 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to XplosiV xplosiv.ss@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsrich View Post
It's a known issue with the 4.1.1 update on the S3, I've heard that it will likely be addressed in the 4.1.2 update, but I haven't seen any current solutions posted. I have the issue with Swiftkey- goes back to the default keyboard on every reboot.

I don't know if rooting might make a difference as I think I remember reading somewhere it has to do with apps not being given the proper permissions by the Android system.
I've not heard of an issue like that since apps were used on the Sd card - the issue being that "aways running / essential" apps, needed to be on the phone itself and couldn't be run reliably from the Sd card due to losing settings etc.
__________________




XplosiV is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiV View Post
I've not heard of an issue like that since apps were used on the Sd card - the issue being that "aways running / essential" apps, needed to be on the phone itself and couldn't be run reliably from the Sd card due to losing settings etc.
Unfortunately the issue is relatively common on the S3. Many people report the Keyboard going back to Samsung. I dont have that issue. Smart keyboard Pro always is default.

However, my WidgetLocker default home gets lost at every reboot so the first time I reboot I have to choose widgetlocker as my home application and set it as default. It works until I reboot.
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SUroot For This Useful Post:
funkylogik (February 5th, 2013)
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lennydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maine USA
Posts: 815
 
Device(s): N5,NOTE3,S4,S3, HTC ONE X, Galaxy Nexus, Droid X, Nexus 7, Nexus 10
Carrier: AT&T (now)

Thanks: 574
Thanked 194 Times in 132 Posts
Default

As others have said. My keyboard keeps going back to Samsung but my ringtones and such stay the same. AT&T S3.
lennydude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 stock 4.1.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmokefarmer View Post
Anyone else find after the latest S3 update that when you restart your phone everything now goes back to the original samsung defaults for things like keyboard and default tones etc.
it's really annoying so wondered if anyone else has had this and managed to find a solution.
Yes. I had SwiftKey 3 installed and set as the default keyboard.After updating to 4.1.1, however, restarting the phone would reset the default keyboard to Samsung.

However, I recently installed SwiftKey Flow Beta and set it to default, and the phone no longer resets the default on a restart.

(I typically restart my phone once or twice a day due to the mysterious fast battery drain.)
bdclary is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 771
 
Device(s): Samsung GS3 stock, Nexus 7 stock, Nook Color CM 10.1,
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 125
Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdclary View Post
Yes. I had SwiftKey 3 installed and set as the default keyboard.After updating to 4.1.1, however, restarting the phone would reset the default keyboard to Samsung.

However, I recently installed SwiftKey Flow Beta and set it to default, and the phone no longer resets the default on a restart.

(I typically restart my phone once or twice a day due to the mysterious fast battery drain.)
Hmmm...a bummer to hear someone on 4.1.2 is having the same issues.

@bigsmokefarmer- did you do a factory reset after upgrading to 4.1.2? Did you notice the issue prior to 4.1.2?
funkylogik likes this.
rcsrich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
share the love peeps ;)
 
funkylogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,361
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (I9300) Carbon nightlies (4.4.2) Nexus 7 (2012) Validus by Ground Zero Roms (4.4.2), Fr
Carrier: 3 (three) UK 15 p/m unltd data/txt

Thanks: 11,011
Thanked 3,914 Times in 3,139 Posts
Default Re: Defaults reset whenever phone turns off

My keyboard always defaulted back to Samsung with 4.1.1 but with 4.1.2 its fixed. Im on a custom rom but its VERY touchwiz based...
Wow SU we use same KB mate, ive used it for years as ive never learned qwerty so i use t9 with no prediction and the "multitap interval" set very low so i can txt fast
__________________
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/funkylogik
For a UK prepay sim with unlimited data, unlimited text, 250mins for 12p/m, no contract, no catch (runs on o2 network)
funkylogik is online now  
Last edited by funkylogik; February 5th, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

I use Smart Keyboard pro because its the closest thing to the HTC keyboard., which was the best for me.

If I could get a working HTC Keyboard now, I'd jump at it.
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 5th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 771
 
Device(s): Samsung GS3 stock, Nexus 7 stock, Nook Color CM 10.1,
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 125
Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
My keyboard always defaulted back to Samsung with 4.1.1 but with 4.1.2 its fixed. Im on a custom rom but its VERY touchwiz based...
Wow SU we use same KB mate, ive used it for years as ive never learned qwerty so i use t9 with no prediction and the "multitap interval" set very low so i can txt fast
Interesting- your story is more like what I've read before...maybe differences in carrier builds/ROMs for some folks?
rcsrich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S III
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale!
Samsung Galaxy S III

  The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the company's flagship device of 2012. As one of the most anticipated devices of the year, this device is the first to come with a Exynos 4 Quad processor. It also has Android 4.0, a 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.