Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree10Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 26th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Cool Galaxy S4 Announcement March 14th 7 pm EST

Samsung confirms March 14th Galaxy S4 unveiling, will live-stream for all to see

Samsung Mobile - YouTube

The announcement for the Samsung Galaxy S4 will take place on March 14th in NYC. You can watch the event live on the YouTube link I provided in this post.

Feel free to add your predictions, expectations, or what ever in what you are wanting to see w/ this device. It's always fun to speculate or dream until we actually see the real deal.
XplosiV likes this.

treb1797 is offline  
Last edited by treb1797; March 13th, 2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added start time of event to thread title
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to treb1797 For This Useful Post:
CASUAL (February 28th, 2013), XplosiV (March 14th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
CoronaDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: D F W
Posts: 133
 
Device(s): HTC Hero, Motorola Droid X, HTC Droid Inc 2, Moto Razr M, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Not sure if the S4 will have one big thing that would make me give up the S3? If not I may have to hold off to see if this rumored Moto X phone is worth it.
funkylogik likes this.
CoronaDoug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 651
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 Black 32GB
Carrier: Three (UK)

Thanks: 29
Thanked 101 Times in 85 Posts
Default

My contract is up for renewal in August and the S3 was already damn cheap - less than £50 here in the UK. If the price is similar and basically doesn't hurt a bit - then I'll get it. If it costs a few hundred then I'll stick with the S3 .. Ah what the hell - probably get it anyway

Still can't believe the Koreans actually go with "4" - considering it is translated "death" and is considered bad luck ...
Gomjaba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
CoronaDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: D F W
Posts: 133
 
Device(s): HTC Hero, Motorola Droid X, HTC Droid Inc 2, Moto Razr M, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjaba View Post
Still can't believe the Koreans actually go with "4" - considering it is translated "death" and is considered bad luck ...
One of the phones on my account is due for an upgrade March 10th. I may hand down my S3 and get the S4.

Maybe it should be named the Galaxy S3S?
CoronaDoug is offline  
Last edited by CoronaDoug; February 27th, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Liamo_210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,115
 
Device(s): motorola xoom 2 ME, Samsung galaxy S3 (blue), Nexus 4
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 302
Thanked 767 Times in 560 Posts
Default Re: Galaxy S4 Announcement March 14th

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaDoug View Post
Not sure if the S4 will have one big thing that would make me give up the S3? If not I may have to hold off to see if this rumored Moto X phone is worth it.
With all the hype over the x phone it better be good.
__________________
If someone has helped you, hit the THANKS button.
If you just like a post for some reason, click LIKE.
If you see someone causing trouble, hit REPORT!
Liamo_210 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Lightbulb

U.S. Galaxy S4 to Come With Snapdragon 600 While Euro Version Gets Exynos 5 Octa? – Droid Life

Thought this article might be of interest to some.
treb1797 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!
 
Metroid Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Land Of Metal
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,101
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 2,079
Thanked 2,910 Times in 1,877 Posts
Default

Seems like the S3 just came out. Will be very interesting to see how the S4 will look and work.
__________________
Android Forums is more than just a forum, it's a community.
Thank helpful posts. Report abusive/spam posts.
Come hang out with us!
The Lounge| Forum Games
Need help? Questions? Ask a Staff Member!
Site Rules/Guidelines|Android Forums FAQ
Metroid Prime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 136
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 AT&T - Galaxy S2 AT&T - Google Nexus 10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroid Prime View Post
Seems like the S3 just came out. Will be very interesting to see how the S4 will look and work.
Right, but many people (myself included) are rolling off their Galaxy S2 contracts...

I haven't read much about the new S4 that are absolute must haves (especially in comparison to the S3).

The S3s have access to Jelly Bean now, so it will be running on the same OS as the new S4s.

The S4 will have a faster processor, but the same amount of RAM. And to be honest, my S2 is still butter smooth, so I can't imagine many S3 users suffering with their hardware performance.

I've heard of some pretty cool software that tracks eye movement, and touch-less gestures, but outside of that...nothing ground breaking from the S3.
RajCaj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!
 
Metroid Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Land Of Metal
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,101
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 2,079
Thanked 2,910 Times in 1,877 Posts
Default

Yeah, my S3 has that plus Jelly Bean. The S4 sounds like a solid device, but I am pretty happy with my S3 and don't think I will be switching anytime soon. The S2 is also a very good device. Glad your device is still butter smooth, I myself won't get the S4. I'll look at it though.
Metroid Prime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
CASUAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Loma Linda, California
Gender: Male
Posts: 140
 
Device(s): Nokia, OG Motorola Razr, Samsung E900, Black Jack, Black Jack 2, Captivate, Note
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Confused

Two Questions? How soon do you guys think the S4 will show up on U.S. carriers? I know that this time it is going to be released first in the US as opposed to the UK. I know that the octa-core is most likely to be only in the international version. I was planning on purchasing the Note 2 this saturday, I have been completely phoneless for the last two months. I'm eligible for my upgrade now. Should I wait for the S4 or just get the Note 2? I can go without a phone for another month but I wont wait until june/july to get the S4.

I thought the note 1 was perfect regarding screen size and it was easy for me to use the note 1 with one hand. For me the note 2 is just a little tiny bit too tall to be able to use like that. The S4's increased 1080p resolution, higher megapixel camera on the back, and perfect 5 inch (4.99)screen size are enough to make me consider it over the note 2.
__________________
"Im always three moves ahead in this game of chess, we call life" - My Quote
CASUAL is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,598
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Nexus 7
Carrier: giffgaff

Thanks: 136
Thanked 285 Times in 251 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treb1797 View Post
Exynos 5 Octa 4tw!
Shocky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 136
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 AT&T - Galaxy S2 AT&T - Google Nexus 10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASUAL View Post
Two Questions? How soon do you guys think the S4 will show up on U.S. carriers? I know that this time it is going to be released first in the US as opposed to the UK. I know that the octa-core is most likely to be only in the international version. I was planning on purchasing the Note 2 this saturday, I have been completely phoneless for the last two months. I'm eligible for my upgrade now. Should I wait for the S4 or just get the Note 2? I can go without a phone for another month but I wont wait until june/july to get the S4.

I thought the note 1 was perfect regarding screen size and it was easy for me to use the note 1 with one hand. For me the note 2 is just a little tiny bit too tall to be able to use like that. The S4's increased 1080p resolution, higher megapixel camera on the back, and perfect 5 inch (4.99)screen size are enough to make me consider it over the note 2.
Everything is rumors right now, but from what I've been reading...the US is looking at an April release (given the announcement in March).

Samsung is supposedly going to release the US & International variant at the same time, approx 1 month after the announcement (which is about the time it took them to release the S3)

Just have to decide if waiting the extra month or so is worth the higher res screen & camera. Just about all of the other specs (excluding the stylus on the Note) are very similar.
RajCaj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Default

Galaxy S4 to Come in White or Black and 16/32/64GB Storage Options – Droid Life

FYI
treb1797 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to treb1797 For This Useful Post:
CoronaDoug (March 1st, 2013)
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
GatorfanDroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Green Bay , WI
Gender: Male
Posts: 202
 
Device(s): Galaxy Samsung S4!
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

If the s4 is coming out in April I'm so there! I didn't get the s3 since I've been stuck with the HTC thunderbolt for two years. Its a half descent phone . But I'm ready for an upgrade and switching carries vzw to sprint for there truly unlimited data! It sucks I have to leave VZW but all good things must end some day. With my unlimited plan at VZW I can't upgrade because they took it away some time ago. SO now I must switch and wait for the s4!!!
GatorfanDroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s): Galaxy S5, Razr HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,178
Thanked 815 Times in 622 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treb1797 View Post
They seem to be thinking snapdragon 600 is like S4 (MSM8960) of last year, meaning LTE modem integrated in one chip. But that's not the case with snapdragon 600 chip. It doesn't include cellular data modem similar to S4 pro. It needs to be coupled with separate radio modem chip.

So in that respect snapdragon 600 doesn't have one chip solution advantage over Exynos 5 like some medias write. Samsung already managed to pair Exynos 4412 with new qualcomm LTE modem in Note 2 last year. So I don't see why they can't do it again with newer Exynos 5 chip. If Exynos 5 doesn't make to US versions of GS4, it would be for other reason.
Sandroidfan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
CoronaDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: D F W
Posts: 133
 
Device(s): HTC Hero, Motorola Droid X, HTC Droid Inc 2, Moto Razr M, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASUAL View Post
Two Questions? How soon do you guys think the S4 will show up on U.S. carriers? I know that this time it is going to be released first in the US as opposed to the UK. I know that the octa-core is most likely to be only in the international version. I was planning on purchasing the Note 2 this saturday, I have been completely phoneless for the last two months. I'm eligible for my upgrade now. Should I wait for the S4 or just get the Note 2? I can go without a phone for another month but I wont wait until june/july to get the S4.

I thought the note 1 was perfect regarding screen size and it was easy for me to use the note 1 with one hand. For me the note 2 is just a little tiny bit too tall to be able to use like that. The S4's increased 1080p resolution, higher megapixel camera on the back, and perfect 5 inch (4.99)screen size are enough to make me consider it over the note 2.
I also hear April. Wait the month and look at them side by side. If you can't use the Note 2 because of the taller screen size, then I think you have your answer.
CoronaDoug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 134
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I am able to upgrade my phone on the 20th March. The countdown begins!

Stuck between the S4, HTC One or the Xperia Z at the moment. But my gut is telling me i will end up with the S4.
oleb84 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
CoronaDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: D F W
Posts: 133
 
Device(s): HTC Hero, Motorola Droid X, HTC Droid Inc 2, Moto Razr M, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Default

GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV 16 GB (White)
GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV 32 GB (White)
GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV 64 GB (White)
GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV 16 GB (Black)
GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV 32 GB (Black)
GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV 64 GB (Black)

With the SD slot the larger internal is not a big deal to me. Looks like it will be black for me. I wish they offered black on the S3 when it was launched. Not that the blue is that bad.
CoronaDoug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jackdubl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 959
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII(rooted), Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE (rooted), HTC Thunderbolt(rooted/sold), HTC I
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 43
Thanked 108 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandroidfan View Post
They seem to be thinking snapdragon 600 is like S4 (MSM8960) of last year, meaning LTE modem integrated in one chip. But that's not the case with snapdragon 600 chip. It doesn't include cellular data modem similar to S4 pro. It needs to be coupled with separate radio modem chip.

So in that respect snapdragon 600 doesn't have one chip solution advantage over Exynos 5 like some medias write. Samsung already managed to pair Exynos 4412 with new qualcomm LTE modem in Note 2 last year. So I don't see why they can't do it again with newer Exynos 5 chip. If Exynos 5 doesn't make to US versions of GS4, it would be for other reason.

I read somewhere there were possibly overheating issues with the Octa on US lte phones.
jackdubl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 410
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Galaxy S2, Vibrant, myTouch
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Default

I was at a T-Mobile store and asked the rep if they knew anything about the S4. He said from what he heard it's not going to be called the S4 but something else (at least for T-Mobile) and will drop in the US around August (again at least for T-Mobile). Again I'm sure it's just rumors, but something from someone that has a little more inside info.

At this point, I find myself upgrading every other year due to the 2 year upgrades for subsidized phones. I'm on the S2 right now, I was able to live without the S3 for a year, but will be glad to be able to move onto the S4 when that comes out. I'd like to see the Octa since it'd be neat to have the newest and greatest, but I'm sure whatever processor ends up in it will be leaps and bounds over the S3 let alone the S2 I'm still using. Even if the Octa is put in it, it will be outdated within a couple months anyways at the ridiculous rate that technology advances.
ParishL31 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
CoronaDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: D F W
Posts: 133
 
Device(s): HTC Hero, Motorola Droid X, HTC Droid Inc 2, Moto Razr M, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParishL31 View Post
I was at a T-Mobile store and asked the rep if they knew anything about the S4. He said from what he heard it's not going to be called the S4 but something else (at least for T-Mobile) and will drop in the US around August (again at least for T-Mobile). Again I'm sure it's just rumors, but something from someone that has a little more inside info.

At this point, I find myself upgrading every other year due to the 2 year upgrades for subsidized phones. I'm on the S2 right now, I was able to live without the S3 for a year, but will be glad to be able to move onto the S4 when that comes out. I'd like to see the Octa since it'd be neat to have the newest and greatest, but I'm sure whatever processor ends up in it will be leaps and bounds over the S3 let alone the S2 I'm still using. Even if the Octa is put in it, it will be outdated within a couple months anyways at the ridiculous rate that technology advances.
If it is August then it will give us time to hopefully see (or get rumors) the Moto X. I am not sure by waiting so long to sell the S4 will help Samsung. I don't think it is that big of an upgrade from the S3 that people (T-Mobile customers) will hold out until August.
CoronaDoug is offline  
Last edited by CoronaDoug; March 2nd, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wolfedude88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Plainfield, Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,754
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA(Red)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 356
Thanked 555 Times in 357 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParishL31 View Post
I was at a T-Mobile store and asked the rep if they knew anything about the S4. He said from what he heard it's not going to be called the S4 but something else (at least for T-Mobile) and will drop in the US around August (again at least for T-Mobile). Again I'm sure it's just rumors, but something from someone that has a little more inside info.

At this point, I find myself upgrading every other year due to the 2 year upgrades for subsidized phones. I'm on the S2 right now, I was able to live without the S3 for a year, but will be glad to be able to move onto the S4 when that comes out. I'd like to see the Octa since it'd be neat to have the newest and greatest, but I'm sure whatever processor ends up in it will be leaps and bounds over the S3 let alone the S2 I'm still using. Even if the Octa is put in it, it will be outdated within a couple months anyways at the ridiculous rate that technology advances.
I just feel I should point out that the rep in the store has ZERO idea what he is talking about. I am not saying he is right or wrong about anything, but he has absolutely no clue right now.

The earliest a rep at the store will know is after an announcement. Until then they are going off of rumors they have heard from others, or tech sites on the internet.
ScandaLeX likes this.
Wolfedude88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
GatorfanDroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Green Bay , WI
Gender: Male
Posts: 202
 
Device(s): Galaxy Samsung S4!
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I just hope it is April the phone comes out around in . I'm dying to get a new phone and this gives me time to save up for the s4 even if August I can wait too. Hopefully by then I'm in the military and will have even more money saved up. (I'm on the enlisting tract!) Still undecided on what branch though.

So we have still a few weeks to go before March 14th! Come on now hurry up!
GatorfanDroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:07 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 651
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 Black 32GB
Carrier: Three (UK)

Thanks: 29
Thanked 101 Times in 85 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaDoug View Post
GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV 16 GB (White)
GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV 32 GB (White)
GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV 64 GB (White)
GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV 16 GB (Black)
GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV 32 GB (Black)
GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV 64 GB (Black)

With the SD slot the larger internal is not a big deal to me. Looks like it will be black for me. I wish they offered black on the S3 when it was launched. Not that the blue is that bad.
Whilst I like the SD card myself - I only use it because the S3 is limited in space. I am more annoyed that I have to be careful where I store moves for example

I prefer the 64GB version I think ...
Gomjaba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 184
 
Device(s): Vibrant, g2x, epic 4g touch
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

I doubt Samsung will spank in the SoC department, even if they go with the snapdragon. Someone mentioned that it is going to have the same amount of ram, I think that is probably true but a few months back Samsung started mass production of a mobile version of ddr3 ram so if the s4 comes with ddr3, it will run considerably fasterthan the current ddr2 we find in today's devices. Also, it isn't generally called the s4, but the S IV, so I think the Koreans are safe.

I cannot wait to see this thing, I am betting the exynos5 quad, New Mali gpu, 2gb ddr3 ram and support up to 128gb micro sd. And let's not forget the 4.99 inch 1080p screen.
ndfan4u likes this.
nemesys06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Default

Samsung posts first teaser video for Galaxy S 4 | The Verge

Getting closer folks. Here is a nice little teaser from Samsung to start off your week.
treb1797 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
CoronaDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: D F W
Posts: 133
 
Device(s): HTC Hero, Motorola Droid X, HTC Droid Inc 2, Moto Razr M, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treb1797 View Post
Samsung posts first teaser video for Galaxy S 4 | The Verge

Getting closer folks. Here is a nice little teaser from Samsung to start off your week.
Not impressed with this marketing. I like the ones for the S3. Of course making fun of hipsters never gets old.
ScandaLeX likes this.
CoronaDoug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
CoronaDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: D F W
Posts: 133
 
Device(s): HTC Hero, Motorola Droid X, HTC Droid Inc 2, Moto Razr M, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Is this guy holding the S4?

[removed image]
CoronaDoug is offline  
Last edited by stevealbright; March 8th, 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Too large of image!
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaDoug View Post
Is this guy holding the S4?
Hard to tell, but it looks like a Note 2 from where I'm standing.
treb1797 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
GatorfanDroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Green Bay , WI
Gender: Male
Posts: 202
 
Device(s): Galaxy Samsung S4!
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Hell it doesn't even show the phone ha. Boring .
GatorfanDroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Default

Report: Samsung Galaxy S4 could introduce ‘eye-scrolling’

This could be pretty cool. Hmmmm....
treb1797 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
CoronaDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: D F W
Posts: 133
 
Device(s): HTC Hero, Motorola Droid X, HTC Droid Inc 2, Moto Razr M, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treb1797 View Post
What if you were cross-eyed or had a glass eye?

Not sure that this is something that would interest me.
treb1797 likes this.
CoronaDoug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Default

Samsung Galaxy S IV design, specs potentially leaked on Twitter

Possible design. If true, I like what I'm seeing.
treb1797 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
CoronaDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: D F W
Posts: 133
 
Device(s): HTC Hero, Motorola Droid X, HTC Droid Inc 2, Moto Razr M, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treb1797 View Post
Samsung Galaxy S IV design, specs potentially leaked on Twitter

Possible design. If true, I like what I'm seeing.
Nor sure.... It is not as sexy as the S3.
CoronaDoug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:15 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 391
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible by HTC
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 186 Times in 85 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treb1797 View Post
Samsung Galaxy S IV design, specs potentially leaked on Twitter

Possible design. If true, I like what I'm seeing.
it says super amoled screen...but everything i have read this week says it will abandon the super amoled screen.
miniSQ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Gender: Male
Posts: 225
 
Device(s): HTC INC 2 HTC Thunderbolt Samsung I-535 Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 17
Thanked 63 Times in 52 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to brownchm
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjaba View Post
My contract is up for renewal in August and the S3 was already damn cheap - less than £50 here in the UK. If the price is similar and basically doesn't hurt a bit - then I'll get it. If it costs a few hundred then I'll stick with the S3 .. Ah what the hell - probably get it anyway

Still can't believe the Koreans actually go with "4" - considering it is translated "death" and is considered bad luck ...

Wouldn't hold my breath
brownchm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaDoug View Post
Nor sure.... It is not as sexy as the S3.
Yesterday’s leaked Galaxy S4 render revealed as fake

Don't worry it wasn't real any way.
treb1797 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to treb1797 For This Useful Post:
CoronaDoug (March 5th, 2013)
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): Droid Razr M
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 25
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Anyone have a link to the official samsung galaxy s4 facebook? There are so many fake ones, it's hard to tell.
PeeLoWanKenobi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Sensation -(getting new phone soon)
Carrier: tmobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Can somebody explain to me why we need an octa core? I mean isn't four enough!? I just can't see what I would do with 8 cores. I think they should just work on making the processor slightly faster, and POWER EFFICIENT!
-
-Please respond.
RootJunky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Sensation -(getting new phone soon)
Carrier: tmobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeLoWanKenobi View Post
Anyone have a link to the official samsung galaxy s4 facebook? There are so many fake ones, it's hard to tell.
I don't think they've made an official Facebook page for a product that wasn't announced yet. At this point in the phone's life it's all about rumors and soon "teasing". Our job is to just get drunk on rumors and wait.
RootJunky is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
aliveon2legs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 312
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 62
Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
it says super amoled screen...but everything i have read this week says it will abandon the super amoled screen.
Where have you read this?

That would be HUGE for me. I am currently planning on getting this HTC One, but this could absolutely change my mind. I couldn't deal with the blue tint of the Samsung screen. It would drive me crazy. Everything does not need to look like a Viagra commercial.
aliveon2legs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 512
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Default

The phone's body is still going to be a plastic mess in my eyes. HTC One would be my choice if I were switching from my current set up.
chris2k5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
aliveon2legs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 312
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 62
Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Default

The HTC One would be an easy, easy choice for me, if the battery were just hot-swappable. That's a very big deal, to me. It's still not enough to overcome the blue tint of the Galaxy phones, though.
aliveon2legs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 242
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch; Asus Nexus 7 wi-fi 32GB; Sprint Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 0
Thanked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveon2legs View Post
Where have you read this?

That would be HUGE for me. I am currently planning on getting this HTC One, but this could absolutely change my mind. I couldn't deal with the blue tint of the Samsung screen. It would drive me crazy. Everything does not need to look like a Viagra commercial.
So I guess that's true when you're looking at a white screen. You can not see the blue tint otherwise. But when you're looking at screen with lots of black in it, then the SAMOLED screen shows true black MUCH better then LCD. Looking at the grey colored blacks would drive me crazy!
Netcat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 201
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesys06 View Post
I cannot wait to see this thing, I am betting the exynos5 quad, New Mali gpu, 2gb ddr3 ram and support up to 128gb micro sd. And let's not forget the 4.99 inch 1080p screen.
I concur. The octo core SoC is just not ready yet, it's the equivalent of the Exynos 5 last year. Everyone was saying "zomg exynos 5 in the gs3", and it never happened. The exynos 5 quad is ready now, and it is what we can expect. It supports LTE built in, so there is 0 reason to go with a snapdragon for the US models, unless there is some sort of chip shortage, but I imagine that would affect smaller markets. The USA is generally not given the short end of the straw in technology, without reason.

Not sure on the 128GB micro sdxc card though, as none have even been announced yet, I imagine even the gs3 will support it, as it supports sdxc. The 4.99" 1080p screen is going to be awesome though, and I imagine this phone easily doing 1080p. My US GS3 never could handle that.
ben7337 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 201
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootJunky View Post
Can somebody explain to me why we need an octa core? I mean isn't four enough!? I just can't see what I would do with 8 cores. I think they should just work on making the processor slightly faster, and POWER EFFICIENT!
-
-Please respond.
The octa-core processor being rumored, is not 8 cores at once. It is 4 low power cores and 4 high power cores. The low power cores can handle most general stuff super fast, while using significantly less power than the dual and quad core chips found in different versions of the s3. As such, the octo-core chip can offer significant power savings. However it also has powerful cortex a15 cores which destroy the quad core s3 in speed, and double the number of cores of the dual core s3, while being slightly faster clock for clock.

So basically octo-core is 4 cores at one time. 4 power saving, or 4 super powerful. Only 4 will be active at once from what I've heard, and overall there should be significant power savings.
ben7337 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben7337 For This Useful Post:
davidmanvell (March 8th, 2013), RootJunky (March 8th, 2013)
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
aliveon2legs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 312
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 62
Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netcat View Post
So I guess that's true when you're looking at a white screen. You can not see the blue tint otherwise.
I see it in all colors except black.

Quote:
But when you're looking at screen with lots of black in it, then the SAMOLED screen shows true black MUCH better then LCD.
Yeah, I agree. The contrast in their AMOLED screens is extraordinary and they are superior in every single way, except for the one.
Quote:
Looking at the grey colored blacks would drive me crazy!
Me too. Black levels are the number one thing I look for when tv shopping, and it's the reason I settled on a high end Panasonic plasma for my living room. The blacks actually look darker than the screen, when it is off, to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post
The octa-core processor being rumored, is not 8 cores at once. It is 4 low power cores and 4 high power cores. The low power cores can handle most general stuff super fast, while using significantly less power than the dual and quad core chips found in different versions of the s3. As such, the octo-core chip can offer significant power savings. However it also has powerful cortex a15 cores which destroy the quad core s3 in speed, and double the number of cores of the dual core s3, while being slightly faster clock for clock.

So basically octo-core is 4 cores at one time. 4 power saving, or 4 super powerful. Only 4 will be active at once from what I've heard, and overall there should be significant power savings.
So it's the Prius of the cell phone industry?

aliveon2legs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #48 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
KOLIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,855
 
Device(s): HTC ONE M8 | LG G-FLEX/G-PAD 8.3 | LG GOOGLE TV G3 | SAMSUNG GEAR FIT | QUALCOMM TOQ | CHROMECAST
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Thanks: 3,882
Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorfanDroid View Post
I just hope it is April the phone comes out around in . I'm dying to get a new phone and this gives me time to save up for the s4 even if August I can wait too. Hopefully by then I'm in the military and will have even more money saved up. (I'm on the enlisting tract!) Still undecided on what branch though.

So we have still a few weeks to go before March 14th! Come on now hurry up!
Had to go off-topic for this,so please forgive me:

Congrats on your decision to serve your country.I'll make this as to the point in as few words as possible.

Pick a branch & specialty that not only serves your short-term goals,but,also will do the most for you post-military life,whether you make the military a career,or,just serve a term or two.

Best of luck to you & keep us posted on the decision you make.
KOLIO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Default

Samsung Galaxy S4 to Feature New Green PHOLED Display and Floating Touch Technology – Droid Life
treb1797 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #50 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Sensation -(getting new phone soon)
Carrier: tmobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post
The octa-core processor being rumored, is not 8 cores at once. It is 4 low power cores and 4 high power cores. The low power cores can handle most general stuff super fast, while using significantly less power than the dual and quad core chips found in different versions of the s3. As such, the octo-core chip can offer significant power savings. However it also has powerful cortex a15 cores which destroy the quad core s3 in speed, and double the number of cores of the dual core s3, while being slightly faster clock for clock.

So basically octo-core is 4 cores at one time. 4 power saving, or 4 super powerful. Only 4 will be active at once from what I've heard, and overall there should be significant power savings.
So will there actually be a speed improvement on the device, or is it just innovation for efficiency? Either way if they go through with that (octa) it'll be great!
RootJunky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The all-new Samsung Galaxy S4 is all but guaranteed to be the next top-selling device. The new device is dubbed the "Life Companion" due to its intuitive features. The Galaxy S4 sports a 5-inch 1080p Super AMOLED display, an awesome 13 MP... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.