Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By trparky

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 26th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Help going from iOS to SGS4

Hi,

Ive got the new S4 delivered today, however having used iOS for the past 3 years, i wanted to change to android, however im totally lost with it all! Does anyone else have the S4 or a similar phone to what the S4 runs on? (I have no ideas). I kinda need help!!

Advertisements
Experting is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 26th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
valorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,942
 
Device(s): Incredible 2(retired), Verizon Galaxy S III Blue (lost), Nexus 7, Galaxy S 4 Black.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 140
Thanked 498 Times in 396 Posts
valorian13
Default

The best place to go would be the S4 section of this forum.

Samsung Galaxy S4 - Android Forums

Specifically what kind of issues are you having?
__________________
If I was helpful to you, please click the Thanks button. ^^^

Drop Box referral- Drop Box (2GB Free)
Copy Referral - Copy (extra 5GB by using this link)
valorian is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valorian For This Useful Post:
Hadron (April 26th, 2013)
Old April 26th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valorian View Post
The best place to go would be the S4 section of this forum.

Samsung Galaxy S4 - Android Forums

Specifically what kind of issues are you having?
ahh thanks! Basically on the iphone you can restrict settings and that, how can i do this on android? Also you know when someone texts me, how do i make it so that it doesnt show the full text, only who its from?
Experting is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Hadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dimension Jumping
Posts: 12,485
 
Device(s): HTC One (S-Off), HTC Desire (retired)
Carrier: Orange UK

Thanks: 2,305
Thanked 5,241 Times in 3,768 Posts
Default

I don't know what "restrict settings" means precisely.

In android app settings are accessed from inside the app itself, rather than from inside the system settings app as on iOS (from my limited experience of iOS - apologies for any errors here!). I don't know this phone's message app, but I'd poke around in its settings to see if there is something in there.
If not, there are alternative SMS apps in the play store which do let you control what shows in the pop-up (or even whether there is one). So if the built in one doesn't do what you want, turn it's notifications/popup off (to avoid duplication) and try a different one.
__________________
Forum Rules & Guidelines - Android Forums FAQ
If a post helps you, use the Thanks! button.
Spam or offensive? Don't respond, report it /!\
Hadron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadron View Post
I don't know what "restrict settings" means precisely.

In android app settings are accessed from inside the app itself, rather than from inside the system settings app as on iOS (from my limited experience of iOS - apologies for any errors here!). I don't know this phone's message app, but I'd poke around in its settings to see if there is something in there.
If not, there are alternative SMS apps in the play store which do let you control what shows in the pop-up (or even whether there is one). So if the built in one doesn't do what you want, turn it's notifications/popup off (to avoid duplication) and try a different one.
ahh ok thanks! and ive got another problem, when i add my google account, it keeps adding "contacts" into my contacts folder, how do i STOP this from happening?
Experting is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,265
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 227
Thanked 647 Times in 513 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experting View Post
ahh ok thanks! and ive got another problem, when i add my google account, it keeps adding "contacts" into my contacts folder, how do i STOP this from happening?
Go into your Contacts app. Press the Menu button (left of the home key). Tap on <Accounts>. Tap on your Google account. Uncheck <Sync Contacts>.

Note that I have a Galaxy S3. I believe the S4 will work the same way.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!
 
Metroid Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Land Of Metal
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,106
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 2,080
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,883 Posts
Default

Moved thread to Samsung Galaxy S4 section.
__________________
Android Forums is more than just a forum, it's a community.
Thank helpful posts. Report abusive/spam posts.
Come hang out with us!
The Lounge| Forum Games
Need help? Questions? Ask a Staff Member!
Site Rules/Guidelines|Android Forums FAQ
Metroid Prime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
LookSir,Droids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Madison, WI
Gender: Male
Posts: 65
 
Device(s): Retired HTC Desire, Retired Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks: 23
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I would also recommend YouTube as a great resource for tips, tricks, and troubleshooting! There probably aren't that many vids on the GS4 yet, but give it a week and there will be plenty!
LookSir,Droids is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dover, DE
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I second YouTube...the GS3 was my first Android phone...took me about a week of messing with it and watching tips and tricks on YouTube to fully understand the phone
JerZyT28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Check six!
 
Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Inverness, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,082
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 2,772
Thanked 11,507 Times in 5,847 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Slug slugbrem@gmail.com
Default

There's a pretty good primer thread for newcomers to Android in the Android Lounge forum.

~**~ PLEASE READ ME FIRST! Android Things to Know! ~**~

Asking questions is, of course, also welcomed. Don't be shy - even the most experienced members here will have been in the same position at one time.
Slug is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rkkeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dog Pound.
Posts: 540
 
Device(s): Current: Samsung Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5. Recently: EVO LTE, S3, iPad, EVO, Palm Pre, Treo 750 a
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 21
Thanked 87 Times in 63 Posts
Default

When you first open your S4 box, it will have a small paper with a website that allows easy transfer of all your iPhone stuff.

I have the iPhone 5 and followed the directions and it synced my sms, contacts, music, pics, videos, notes, memos and more. The S4 is identical to my iPhone 5 now.

I am still debating on which I like better but when I show them to people side by side, 9 out 10 pick the S4.
rkkeller is offline  
Last edited by rkkeller; April 29th, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm in the same boat. My iPhone 5 was a rock and battery life was great even if I used it heavily for me. This Gs4 is definitely more fun but I worry I will need to constantly be mindful of battery life, which I never ever had to pay attention with the iPhone. We will see, I guess.
Ougrad1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Beards's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chesterfield UK
Posts: 1,028
 
Device(s): Current: Sony Z1, iPad Air 128GB Recent: SGS4, SGS3, SGN 10.1, iPad4 64GB.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 43
Thanked 375 Times in 210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ougrad1 View Post
I'm in the same boat. My iPhone 5 was a rock and battery life was great even if I used it heavily for me. This Gs4 is definitely more fun but I worry I will need to constantly be mindful of battery life, which I never ever had to pay attention with the iPhone. We will see, I guess.
It's all part of the swings and roundabouts between Android & Apple devices.
Where you found your iPhone gave a great battery life it was done so at the expense of Apple locking iOS that tight in order to not allow any App to interfere with the OS.
Locking the system down as iOS does takes away any personalisation like utility apps, widgets, file browser, Bluetooth file transfer, etc. etc.
Android on the other hand allows you the choice to be as free and easy with the OS as you like, at the expense of battery life.
__________________
.........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.
P.S. Many thanks for the Thanks votes. Thanks received are converted into a charitable donation.
Beards is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Wow, I just purchased my S 4 today, coming from Iphone 4s. I can send text messages, but cannot receive text messages from other Iphones. Android text are fine, but do not receive text from Iphones. This will be a deal breaker for me...Most of my clients are IOS...dang it....arrgg
lsmith9523 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Check six!
 
Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Inverness, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,082
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 2,772
Thanked 11,507 Times in 5,847 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Slug slugbrem@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith9523 View Post
I can send text messages, but cannot receive text messages from other Iphones.
Text (SMS) messages should work fine regardless of the device/OS. My guess is that the iOS users are sending the messages as iMessages, which only works between Apple devices, rather than standard SMS.
Slug is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Is there an iMessage equivalent? Can it be rooted for imessage? Facetime?
Techpcpro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
trparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Posts: 691
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 Galaxy S4
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 18
Thanked 136 Times in 98 Posts
Send a message via AIM to trparky Send a message via MSN to trparky
Default

The reason why you are unable to receive text messages from your friends who have iPhones is because you once had an iPhone that was attached to iMessage.

This issue has to do with Apple's implementation of the iMessage protocol. It binds device's and/or SIM card's unique ID to their servers (using the UUID from the device and the SIM ID) and doesn't release them easily.

So what happens is that Apple iMessage is taking over the text messages on your friend's iPhones and since you don't have an iPhone anymore, you can't receive iMessages anymore.

There is a potential fix for all of this...
  1. Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
  2. Log in if not already logged in.
  3. Click on ">" to the right of the phone listing
  4. Click "unregister"
If that doesn't work, get your SIM card swapped.
lsmith9523 likes this.
__________________
Tom
trparky is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trparky For This Useful Post:
lsmith9523 (April 30th, 2013)
Old April 29th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 16gb Black, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I'm going to post this here to keep it contained as I too am coming from an iPhone 4 to a SG4. I do have somewhat limited experience with Android, but that's due to my work phone being Android. This is the first phone I can take free reign with.

My questions:
1) What's the best method to manage and maintain your contacts? Can I sync them directly with Outlook?
2) I have one gmail account and two android phones. I have a feeling this is going to cause a problem if I sync contacts with the phones to GMail. Are there any ways to micromanage what phone does what with the gmail account?

Thanks!
Punkrulz24 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rkkeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dog Pound.
Posts: 540
 
Device(s): Current: Samsung Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5. Recently: EVO LTE, S3, iPad, EVO, Palm Pre, Treo 750 a
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 21
Thanked 87 Times in 63 Posts
Default

You can use the same Gmail account contacts with multiple devices with no problems, I have 2 accessing my same account. Any changes effect all 3.

Do the full sync like I posted about above and your S4 will mirror you I4.
rkkeller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rkkeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dog Pound.
Posts: 540
 
Device(s): Current: Samsung Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5. Recently: EVO LTE, S3, iPad, EVO, Palm Pre, Treo 750 a
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 21
Thanked 87 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techpcpro View Post
Is there an iMessage equivalent? Can it be rooted for imessage? Facetime?

I have my Apple friends using Skype. It allows video chats and txt for free as long as its Skype to Skype and alot of people already have it.
rkkeller is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
JSchu22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 483
 
Device(s): Listing my phone here seems to only make a new phone purchase come sooner.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 31
Thanked 29 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trparky View Post
The reason why you are unable to receive text messages from your friends who have iPhones is because you once had an iPhone that was attached to iMessage.

This issue has to do with Apple's implementation of the iMessage protocol. It binds device's and/or SIM card's unique ID to their servers (using the UUID from the device and the SIM ID) and doesn't release them easily.

So what happens is that Apple iMessage is taking over the text messages on your friend's iPhones and since you don't have an iPhone anymore, you can't receive iMessages anymore.

There is a potential fix for all of this...
  1. Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
  2. Log in if not already logged in.
  3. Click on ">" to the right of the phone listing
  4. Click "unregister"
If that doesn't work, get your SIM card swapped.
Not disputing this at all, because it's definitely accurate info, but in my experience not receiving texts from iPhone users is because I've left my Macbook or iPad connected to the web. This then has the text go to the iOS device instead of reverting to standard SMS.

This happened to me last night. I left my laptop open and I had to have my gf email me her dinner order because her iPhone texts were going to my laptop. Makes her even happier that I've gotten yet another phone.
JSchu22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 24
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith9523 View Post
Wow, I just purchased my S 4 today, coming from Iphone 4s. I can send text messages, but cannot receive text messages from other Iphones. Android text are fine, but do not receive text from Iphones. This will be a deal breaker for me...Most of my clients are IOS...dang it....arrgg
I believe you have to go into settings on your iphone ( connected to the net ) and turn off I message...
kage65 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 16gb Black, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
You can use the same Gmail account contacts with multiple devices with no problems, I have 2 accessing my same account. Any changes effect all 3.

Do the full sync like I posted about above and your S4 will mirror you I4.
Will gmail somehow let me keep my personal and work contacts separate? Dont want personal going to work phone and vice versa.

Thanks!
Punkrulz24 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookSir,Droids View Post
I would also recommend YouTube as a great resource for tips, tricks, and troubleshooting! There probably aren't that many vids on the GS4 yet, but give it a week and there will be plenty!
Thanks, did take a look at youtube, with limited help there

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZyT28 View Post
I second YouTube...the GS3 was my first Android phone...took me about a week of messing with it and watching tips and tricks on YouTube to fully understand the phone
Yeah, ive kinda played around with it so i am kinda better with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
There's a pretty good primer thread for newcomers to Android in the Android Lounge forum.

~**~ PLEASE READ ME FIRST! Android Things to Know! ~**~

Asking questions is, of course, also welcomed. Don't be shy - even the most experienced members here will have been in the same position at one time.
thanks ill take a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
When you first open your S4 box, it will have a small paper with a website that allows easy transfer of all your iPhone stuff.

I have the iPhone 5 and followed the directions and it synced my sms, contacts, music, pics, videos, notes, memos and more. The S4 is identical to my iPhone 5 now.

I am still debating on which I like better but when I show them to people side by side, 9 out 10 pick the S4.
There was no paper in there with a website on? Whats the website?
Experting is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I was able to test drive a G 3 in my environment. I clicked on the wireless settings and added the SSID and the key. I then held the wifi entry and was able to get advanced settings.
Password: blank we don't need one.
Proxy settings: set to manual
Proxy host name: I put in my proxy.pac address
Port: blank
Bypass proxy for: blank
IP: DHCP

The "save" button would not allow me to save. Even if i populated every field.
Techpcpro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 79
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techpcpro View Post
Is there an iMessage equivalent? Can it be rooted for imessage? Facetime?
We all use KiK messenger. There's also Touch and Whatsapp. All free messaging to people who have the apps. I also use google voice which is free texting to any phone(I no longer have a texting plan as this is free).

I never liked using imessage as I didn't want to be locked into apples ecosystem. These other apps work on ios and android. Some of them also on windows phone and blackberry.
archer75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 79
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkrulz24 View Post
Will gmail somehow let me keep my personal and work contacts separate? Dont want personal going to work phone and vice versa.

Thanks!
Yes, you can make contact groups. It's not something I use but it's there.

I use gmail in ios, android, windows phone. Various phones and tablets. I owned devices for all of them and gmail keeps everything in sync without issue. Which is why I stick with google services. Works the best across multiple platforms so if I ever feel like switching to something else I don't have to redo my services.
archer75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Has anyone been able to use a proxy address? If it does not work I have to stick to IOS and if thats the case I am going to go with a Windows phone.
Techpcpro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The all-new Samsung Galaxy S4 is all but guaranteed to be the next top-selling device. The new device is dubbed the "Life Companion" due to its intuitive features. The Galaxy S4 sports a 5-inch 1080p Super AMOLED display, an awesome 13 MP... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.