Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chris2k5
  • 2 Post By speedlever

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): LG Spectrum Nexus 7 Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default Cracked Screen

I have dropped my old electronics countless times and never suffered the consequence of having a cracked screen due to either having a case on or just complete luck. I dropped my GS4 yesterday (on my birthday too ) and of course...the screen ended up cracking. I had been waiting for my case to arrive and of course, it arrived when I got home later that day. The reason I'm posting this is because I would like to ask for help such as your opinions on what to do or how I could fix it in the cheapest way possible. I am a student in high school without a job so coming up with around $200-300 is something that would take months to do. Can any of you guys help or give me advice on what to do because I've never dealt with repairing or dealing with a cracked screen before. I have insurance with Tmobile and I purchased the phone around 2-3 weeks ago.

xIdkwtS is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 16
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

If your insurance has accidental damage cover then that will deal with it. Check your policy or give t mobile a ring.
karen667 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DanDroide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale Florida / Originally Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 544
 
Device(s): I love...love...love my S4!
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 438
Thanked 118 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIdkwtS View Post
I have dropped my old electronics countless times and never suffered the consequence of having a cracked screen due to either having a case on or just complete luck. I dropped my GS4 yesterday (on my birthday too ) and of course...the screen ended up cracking. I had been waiting for my case to arrive and of course, it arrived when I got home later that day. The reason I'm posting this is because I would like to ask for help such as your opinions on what to do or how I could fix it in the cheapest way possible. I am a student in high school without a job so coming up with around $200-300 is something that would take months to do. Can any of you guys help or give me advice on what to do because I've never dealt with repairing or dealing with a cracked screen before. I have insurance with Tmobile and I purchased the phone around 2-3 weeks ago.
Sorry to hear that

I watched the DROP TESTS on YouTube and opted for the Otterbox Defender which came with my S4. I dropped it getting out of my car (day 1)...no problem. The next day (day 2), while my wife handing me a magazine, I dropped it again and I tried to save it (breaking the fall). To no avail, it hit the ground and took a 4 foot (funny bounce) and landed right in my dog's water bowl. The case protected it pretty well but I had gurgling in the earpiece. I took the phone apart and put it in rice for 24 hours. It fixed the problem totally but I did have to dig rice out of my charge port and ear jack hole.
__________________
Verizon Moto StarTak, Win Pocket PC, Palm Centro, Moto Droid OG, Moto Droid Bionic, Samsung Galaxy S4!
DanDroide is offline  
Last edited by DanDroide; June 5th, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DanDroide For This Useful Post:
xIdkwtS (June 5th, 2013)
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lotus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yorkshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,330
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Xoom (wi-fi), Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 67
Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts
Default

It it the screen itself or just the digitizer? I dropped my iPad recently and the glass smashed but the display still worked. I was able to buy a replacement digitizer on eBay for 20 and replace it myself. It wasn't trivial but nor was it that hard.

I have just checked on eBay and there are replacement digitizers for the S4 so, as long as the LCD itself isn't broken (ie the display still shows an image properly) that is your best bet.
lotus49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): LG Spectrum Nexus 7 Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
It it the screen itself or just the digitizer? I dropped my iPad recently and the glass smashed but the display still worked. I was able to buy a replacement digitizer on eBay for 20 and replace it myself. It wasn't trivial but nor was it that hard.

I have just checked on eBay and there are replacement digitizers for the S4 so, as long as the LCD itself isn't broken (ie the display still shows an image properly) that is your best bet.
I read somewhere that the screen and the glass are all glued together though, so would that cause a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen667 View Post
If your insurance has accidental damage cover then that will deal with it. Check your policy or give t mobile a ring.
How would I be able to check if my insurance covers that?
xIdkwtS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lotus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yorkshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,330
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Xoom (wi-fi), Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 67
Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIdkwtS View Post
I read somewhere that the screen and the glass are all glued together though, so would that cause a problem?
I haven't taken mine apart so I don't know whether that is true. If that is true then it will make it either more difficult or more expensive.

If they are glued together, it is possible to separate them. It's not for the faint of heart but the worst that you can do is break something that you would otherwise only have to throw out.

If you are not able to separate them, you will have to buy a new screen and digitizer. I don't know how much that costs but sadly it will be a lot more expensive. The LCD is the expensive bit .
lotus49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lotus49 For This Useful Post:
xIdkwtS (June 5th, 2013)
Old June 5th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Port Richey, FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 194
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 12
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Default

If you have Asurion through tmobile I higly doubt they cover accidental. You could look under your plans terms to be sure. I bought a plan with Square Trade because it does include accidental and has a $99 deductible.
sincarafan is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sincarafan For This Useful Post:
xIdkwtS (June 5th, 2013)
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): LG Spectrum Nexus 7 Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I guess I'll see what happens when they get to my claim, thanks guys!
xIdkwtS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 512
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Did you buy the phone with a credit card? If you bought it with American Express credit card (any of them except prepaid ones) then they cover you for accidental damage.
xIdkwtS likes this.
chris2k5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris2k5 For This Useful Post:
DanDroide (June 6th, 2013)
Old June 6th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 531
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4/32-i337-mk2, iPhone5/32-iOS7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 46
Thanked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
Did you buy the phone with a credit card? If you bought it with American Express credit card (any of them except prepaid ones) then they cover you for accidental damage.
^ This. And doesn't AE add a year of warranty to the factory coverage too? It's one reason I bought our phones with my AE card.
DanDroide and xIdkwtS like this.
speedlever is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 7th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): LG Spectrum Nexus 7 Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
Did you buy the phone with a credit card? If you bought it with American Express credit card (any of them except prepaid ones) then they cover you for accidental damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
^ This. And doesn't AE add a year of warranty to the factory coverage too? It's one reason I bought our phones with my AE card.
Actually, I did. I'll have to ask my family when I get home but thanks for the idea. I'll follow up with what happens.
xIdkwtS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 512
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIdkwtS View Post
Actually, I did. I'll have to ask my family when I get home but thanks for the idea. I'll follow up with what happens.
It's pretty easy to do too.

You go to americanexpress.com
Then search claims under their search

Should bring to you a sign-in page and then you can fill out the page of what happened and such. Make sure you file it under the exact card it was bought with.

They will email you asking for a receipt. Make sure you fax or mail it in within 30 days.

They will credit the money back in about a week after they receive the receipt.
chris2k5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): LG Spectrum Nexus 7 Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
It's pretty easy to do too.

You go to americanexpress.com
Then search claims under their search

Should bring to you a sign-in page and then you can fill out the page of what happened and such. Make sure you file it under the exact card it was bought with.

They will email you asking for a receipt. Make sure you fax or mail it in within 30 days.

They will credit the money back in about a week after they receive the receipt.
Does it only work with AE?
xIdkwtS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dirty D
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): Droid, Droid 2, Razr Maxx, Razr Maxx HD, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
Did you buy the phone with a credit card? If you bought it with American Express credit card (any of them except prepaid ones) then they cover you for accidental damage.
wow, i didn't know this, that's awesome! so they basically refund the claim, and you can then buy a new one?
Grecho is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 531
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4/32-i337-mk2, iPhone5/32-iOS7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 46
Thanked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecho View Post
wow, i didn't know this, that's awesome! so they basically refund the claim, and you can then buy a new one?
That's a good question. Does AE refund the puchase price (subsidized price) or the cost of a new replacement?
speedlever is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 512
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Default

They will only refund the price that is shown on the receipt and what on your statement.
So if you bought the phone for $199 on a contract, they will only refund $199.

If you bought full retail at $650, they will refund you $650.

Doesn't make sense if they gave you $650 when you only spent $199 does it guys?
chris2k5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 512
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIdkwtS View Post
Does it only work with AE?
Visa, Mastercard and Discover Cards claim having similar programs but they are scams in my opinion. They have a huge exclusion list and only cover you for a small amount of money. And they make you jump through so many hoops to get a claim done that you want to give up on the claim.

American Express covers up to $1000 per incident with the Green/Gold charge cards and any other credit card BUT if you have the Platinum like me, they cover you up to $10,000 per incident. The infamous Amex Black Card also gets coverage up to $10,000 per incident.
chris2k5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 531
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4/32-i337-mk2, iPhone5/32-iOS7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 46
Thanked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Being a curious sort, I called AMEX about this issue and here's what I learned:
1) the AMEX card adds a year to the existing year of warranty coverage
2) damage or theft of the device is covered for the first 90 days of ownership

Coverage is as Chris2k5 states: amount of purchase only. It is not a replacement program.

So while not as good as I originally thought, it's still better than nothing. My wife and I do not participate in the provider insurance coverage. However, the two kids DO participate in this coverage.
speedlever is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): LG Spectrum Nexus 7 Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Well, this sucks. Turns out the phone was bought with a Visa. Although it was said that their program is more difficult to go through when compared to AE, would it be worth trying?
xIdkwtS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
tastycaramel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIdkwtS View Post
Well, this sucks. Turns out the phone was bought with a Visa. Although it was said that their program is more difficult to go through when compared to AE, would it be worth trying?
Just give it a shot.
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
xIdkwtS (June 8th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old June 8th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): LG Spectrum Nexus 7 Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

One question: would your credit card company automatically be protecting you through this or would you have to sign up for it prior to the accident?
xIdkwtS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
tastycaramel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIdkwtS View Post
One question: would your credit card company automatically be protecting you through this or would you have to sign up for it prior to the accident?
You would have to sign up for it. If it's automatically protecting, the credit card company would filed for bankruptcy sooner or later.
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
xIdkwtS (June 8th, 2013)
Old June 8th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lotus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yorkshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,330
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Xoom (wi-fi), Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 67
Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastycaramel View Post
You would have to sign up for it. If it's automatically protecting, the credit card company would filed for bankruptcy sooner or later.
Are you sure about this? Although I have never claimed I had understood that it's automatic. Most people don't even know about this so I doubt very much that the occasional claim would have any material financial impact on organisations like Amex.
lotus49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lotus49 For This Useful Post:
xIdkwtS (June 8th, 2013)
Old June 8th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
trparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Posts: 684
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 Galaxy S4
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 18
Thanked 134 Times in 97 Posts
Send a message via AIM to trparky Send a message via MSN to trparky
Default

Asurion should cover that along with theft.
__________________
Tom
trparky is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trparky For This Useful Post:
xIdkwtS (June 8th, 2013)
Old June 8th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): LG Spectrum Nexus 7 Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Eh, I guess that option is out the window then.
xIdkwtS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 531
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4/32-i337-mk2, iPhone5/32-iOS7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 46
Thanked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Default

When you purchase with the credit card, the coverage is automatic. Nothing to sign up for.
speedlever is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speedlever For This Useful Post:
xIdkwtS (June 9th, 2013)
Old June 8th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 761
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 100 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIdkwtS View Post
Eh, I guess that option is out the window then.
just call your credit card company and ask. It takes 10 minutes
__________________
"alot" is not a word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb82
Some of you (<deleted> and the OP) are ridiculous. jrmckins is not.
jrmckins is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrmckins For This Useful Post:
xIdkwtS (June 9th, 2013)
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #28 (permalink)
tastycaramel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
Are you sure about this? Although I have never claimed I had understood that it's automatic. Most people don't even know about this so I doubt very much that the occasional claim would have any material financial impact on organisations like Amex.
Honestly I am also not very sure. All I know is if you receive damaged goods, you can file a claim against the merchant and get a replacement or refund.
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
xIdkwtS (June 9th, 2013)
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #29 (permalink)
tastycaramel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmckins View Post
just call your credit card company and ask. It takes 10 minutes
Just remember to be persuasive
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
xIdkwtS (June 9th, 2013)
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): LG Spectrum Nexus 7 Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Thanks for the help guys! I'll be sure to call tomorrow and ask.
xIdkwtS is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 9th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 512
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastycaramel View Post
You would have to sign up for it. If it's automatically protecting, the credit card company would filed for bankruptcy sooner or later.
This is incorrect.

The purchase protection programs by Amex, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover are ALL automatically added to your cards. This happens when you receive the credit card for the first time and call in to activate the card. You ACCEPT the terms and they automatically enroll you.
chris2k5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 512
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Default

And I would say Visa will not be worth pursuing for an accidental damage claim. Only certain high end Visa cards have accidental damage like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card I have BUT...

They only cover a small amount. It is meant for small items like clothing that gets ripped or etc.

Just Google it. You'll see people requiring dealing with the Visa credit card company for over 2-3 months to get a claim and in the end its less than 1/2 of what they tried to claim for.
chris2k5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The all-new Samsung Galaxy S4 is all but guaranteed to be the next top-selling device. The new device is dubbed the "Life Companion" due to its intuitive features. The Galaxy S4 sports a 5-inch 1080p Super AMOLED display, an awesome 13 MP... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.