Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wildkitten

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
wildkitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 601
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4; Droid Bionic (retired, now a GPS); Asus TF300T
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default Play Music doesn't see my mp3's on my SD card

I just got in my nice, 64GB SD card and I created a folder called music in the root of it and copied a lot of my songs over. Play Music however doesn't see them when I go to Device instead of all. I know the card is working fine, Astro and everything else sees the card and all the files on it, and I can even choose the music for ringtones. This makes me believe it's not a problem with my S4.

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe need to rename the directory something else for Play Music to see it?

wildkitten is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 735
 
Device(s): Galaxy S III, Galaxy S4, Note 2, Nexus 10, Galaxy Gear
Carrier: DIGI

Thanks: 55
Thanked 216 Times in 175 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkitten View Post
I just got in my nice, 64GB SD card and I created a folder called music in the root of it and copied a lot of my songs over. Play Music however doesn't see them when I go to Device instead of all. I know the card is working fine, Astro and everything else sees the card and all the files on it, and I can even choose the music for ringtones. This makes me believe it's not a problem with my S4.

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe need to rename the directory something else for Play Music to see it?
Best is to format the card using your phone. It will create proper directory structure. Then use Media folder to store your music.
See if that makes any difference.
SebaKL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
wildkitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 601
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4; Droid Bionic (retired, now a GPS); Asus TF300T
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebaKL View Post
Best is to format the card using your phone. It will create proper directory structure. Then use Media folder to store your music.
See if that makes any difference.
Yes, I did let the phone format it.

As far as Media folder, do you mean one that the OS makes or me changing the folders name from Music to Media?
wildkitten is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Please clarify for me. Your thread title says that play music doesn't see the mp3's on the sd card? But, in your post, it infers (or the way I read it) that it doesn't see it on the "device", but does see it when you use "all"?

On my s4 when I use play music, I only have 7 or 8 songs on "device", but all the others are copied onto my sd card and show up when I use "all"

Sorry, for my confusion. I am new to this phone and am rooted which adds further confusion =-O

Frank
gimpy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
wildkitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 601
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4; Droid Bionic (retired, now a GPS); Asus TF300T
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
Please clarify for me. Your thread title says that play music doesn't see the mp3's on the sd card? But, in your post, it infers (or the way I read it) that it doesn't see it on the "device", but does see it when you use "all"?

On my s4 when I use play music, I only have 7 or 8 songs on "device", but all the others are copied onto my sd card and show up when I use "all"

Sorry, for my confusion. I am new to this phone and am rooted which adds further confusion =-O

Frank
No, it doesn't see it when I use All. It's a song that I don't have uploaded to my Play Music account on Google's servers.
wildkitten is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 735
 
Device(s): Galaxy S III, Galaxy S4, Note 2, Nexus 10, Galaxy Gear
Carrier: DIGI

Thanks: 55
Thanked 216 Times in 175 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkitten View Post
Yes, I did let the phone format it.

As far as Media folder, do you mean one that the OS makes or me changing the folders name from Music to Media?
After format, you should see MEDIA folder created for you. Place the mp3 in that Media folder.

And if for whatever reason you don't get it after formatting the SD card, you can create one yourself.
SebaKL is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebaKL For This Useful Post:
wildkitten (August 15th, 2013)
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
wildkitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 601
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4; Droid Bionic (retired, now a GPS); Asus TF300T
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebaKL View Post
After format, you should see MEDIA folder created for you. Place the mp3 in that Media folder.

And if for whatever reason you don't get it after formatting the SD card, you can create one yourself.
Thank you, I will try that

EDIT: Worked perfectly. Thank you
SebaKL likes this.
wildkitten is offline  
Last edited by wildkitten; August 15th, 2013 at 01:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dontpanicbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston MA USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,799
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S II, Google G1
Carrier: t-mobile

Thanks: 310
Thanked 844 Times in 553 Posts
Default

Google Music has removed exterior SD card support from the latest version.
__________________
"You silly twisted boy, you" - Hercules Grytpype-Thynne
dontpanicbobby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
wildkitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 601
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4; Droid Bionic (retired, now a GPS); Asus TF300T
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanicbobby View Post
Google Music has removed exterior SD card support from the latest version.
Apparently not because the Media folder worked. Sees all my music in the Media folder on my SD card.

Not mention it would be the stupidest thing for Google to do. The SD card is the perfect place for music as well as photos and videos. Wouldn't be smart to waste internal storage on that.
wildkitten is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dontpanicbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston MA USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,799
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S II, Google G1
Carrier: t-mobile

Thanks: 310
Thanked 844 Times in 553 Posts
Default

Just don't download version5.1.1009k. PSA: Google Music v5.1.1109K Removes SD Card Support Hack, Adds Very Little

To check which version you have open Google Music Tap on Settings and scroll down to Music version.
dontpanicbobby is offline  
Last edited by dontpanicbobby; August 15th, 2013 at 01:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
wildkitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 601
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4; Droid Bionic (retired, now a GPS); Asus TF300T
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanicbobby View Post
Just don't download version5.1.1009k. PSA: Google Music v5.1.1109K Removes SD Card Support Hack, Adds Very Little

To check which version you have open Google Music Tap on Settings and scroll down to Music version.
That's talking about where to download music too, not where to read it from. The only way Play Music would stop reading from the SD card is if they disabled Android from reading SD cards and that would seriously hurt them.

EDIT: And after reading the companion article from a month prior, it seems this closes a hack that was just introduced in the previous version where you could edit the settings to choose an SD slot to download too.
wildkitten is offline  
Last edited by wildkitten; August 15th, 2013 at 04:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The all-new Samsung Galaxy S4 is all but guaranteed to be the next top-selling device. The new device is dubbed the "Life Companion" due to its intuitive features. The Galaxy S4 sports a 5-inch 1080p Super AMOLED display, an awesome 13 MP... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.