Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Hadron
  • 1 Post By Nick33

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default How hot is too hot?

Hey fellas, i know this topic has been beat to death, but my s4 gets hot, i mean really hot. I had an external thermometer to the back of the phone (granted, i was only browsing the Web with a few apps open in the background) and it was 110 degrees... I KNOW it was much hotter than that due to the method i was using lol.
I know phones heat up, it's fact i suppose, but to this extent? It's so random too. Sometimes its fine, but like right now, it's heating up all around the camera, and all im doing is typing in here... Wtf?!

Can u guys recommend a good app to monitor my cpu temp? Im rooted so

Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 117
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, LG G2
Carrier: Big Red

Thanks: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I do not recall the app, but when my s4 was getting hot I called tech support, and they told me wat app to download to get he temp. Mine was at 119 degrees. I was told the batter was defective, and they sent a replacement battery. Since they replacement came I have not had an issue with it getting hot.
mike145 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Harry2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Black Forest
Posts: 5,185
 
Device(s): One X, Sensation, Desire HD, Xperia Tablet S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 622
Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,114 Posts
Default

The phone's temperature sensor shows the temperature of the phone's battery. Because it's the phone's most sensitive component.

The Li-Ion battery's temperature upper limits are
for discharging up to +60C (+140F)
for charging up to +45C (+113F).

The processors operating temperature upper limit is a lot of higher than the battery's.

You'd use Battery Monitor Widget for monitoring the battery's temperature, even at a graph by time.

Harry
__________________
Google Translate is to blame for my grammar
Harry2 is offline  
Last edited by Harry2; September 3rd, 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lotus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yorkshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,330
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Xoom (wi-fi), Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 67
Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts
Default

My S2 used occasionally to get very hot to the extent that it actually started to feel painful if I held my finger to the hottest part. I don't think that should happen with a phone so each time it did, I rebooted and that worked every time. I have only had to do this once with my S4 and it definitely wasn't as hot as my S2 used to get.

In answer to your question, I'd say that too hot is when it gets uncomfortable to touch. If that happens regularly, something is definitely wrong.
lotus49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

It actually does get uncomfortable. I mean i don't even want to hold the phone to my face to make a call...
U know, I've been having more than a few issues with this device. Im thinking about trying to get a new one sent to me, but i have verizon and do not want a refurb... Ive had the phone 2 months exactly today.
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2 View Post
The phone's temperature sensor shows the temperature of the phone's battery. Because it's the phone's most sensitive component.

The Li-Ion battery's temperature upper limits are
for discharging up to +60C (+140F)
for charging up to +45C (+113F).

The processors operating temperature upper limit is a lot of higher than the battery's.

You'd use Battery Monitor Widget for monitoring the battery's temperature, even at a graph by time.

Harry
Harry, the battery is the most sensitive component? Wouldn't you think it'd be the cpu?
Also, just for info sake, the part of the phone that gets hot is right around the camera. It starts there until the whole upper half of the device, including screen, is burning up.
If it were the battery, wouldn't i expect the heat to be lower?
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Hadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dimension Jumping
Posts: 11,548
 
Device(s): HTC One (S-Off), HTC Desire (retired)
Carrier: Orange UK

Thanks: 2,153
Thanked 4,785 Times in 3,475 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick33 View Post
Harry, the battery is the most sensitive component? Wouldn't you think it'd be the cpu?
The battery is a block of compound with an electrochemistry that's unstable enough that it can absorb and release energy easily. The cpu is a silicon crystal with a precise pattern of impurities etched into it's structure. It's a lot more heat resistant than the battery.
Quote:
Also, just for info sake, the part of the phone that gets hot is right around the camera. It starts there until the whole upper half of the device, including screen, is burning up.
If it were the battery, wouldn't i expect the heat to be lower?
The battery is the most sensitive component. Doesn't mean it's the one which generates the most heat, just the one you need to be most careful about getting too hot.
Frisco, Harry2 and jdCaptivate like this.
__________________
Forum Rules & Guidelines - Android Forums FAQ
If a post helps you, use the Thanks! button.
Spam or offensive? Don't respond, report it /!\
Hadron is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hadron For This Useful Post:
Harry2 (September 4th, 2013), Nick33 (September 4th, 2013)
Old September 4th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Nexus 7
Carrier: giffgaff

Thanks: 136
Thanked 289 Times in 253 Posts
Default

I don't mind the phone warming up, what annoy's me is thermal throttling.

What's the point in a CPU that's capable of 1.9GHz if it can only maintain it for a few minutes.
Shocky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
LaTuFu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,123
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Electrify 2, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S Mesmerize, Galaxy 10.
Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks: 82
Thanked 219 Times in 191 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to LaTuFu LaTuFu
Default

If your battery is getting that hot, it is very likely that it is not functioning properly.

Unless you were driving the phone pretty hard during that time (lots of apps in the background, streaming video, etc) it may be a good idea to try using a different battery for a short period of time and see if you experience the same issues with heat.
LaTuFu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Harry2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Black Forest
Posts: 5,185
 
Device(s): One X, Sensation, Desire HD, Xperia Tablet S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 622
Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,114 Posts
Default

If the heat was around the cam then the battery didn't generate it.

Harry
Harry2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry2 For This Useful Post:
Nick33 (September 4th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): GS4 GT-i9505 4.2.2 I9505XXUBMEA
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My S4 get hot really quickly too, usually within 2 minutes of use. Never used to heat up during charging but it just started. I just ordered a new battery to see if mine came with a faulty one. Phone's only 2 months old...
zambeezi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadron View Post
The battery is a block of compound with an electrochemistry that's unstable enough that it can absorb and release energy easily. The cpu is a silicon crystal with a precise pattern of impurities etched into it's structure. It's a lot more heat resistant than the battery.

The battery is the most sensitive component. Doesn't mean it's the one which generates the most heat, just the one you need to be most careful about getting too hot.
Thank u hadron and harry. I understand what was meant by that now. So the cpu can handle a lot of heat? I'd still really like to know HOW hot it's actually getting.
The set cpu app is a few bucks in the play store, but some people say it's not reliable. Also heard that juice defender is a good app and can actually help with overheating.
Anyone have any experience with these apps?
Ughhh i just wish i didnt have the stupid verizon variant of this phone so i could just use a custom ROM!
Harry2 likes this.
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambeezi View Post
My S4 get hot really quickly too, usually within 2 minutes of use. Never used to heat up during charging but it just started. I just ordered a new battery to see if mine came with a faulty one. Phone's only 2 months old...
Zambeezi, unfortunately im just starting to think its just the nature of this phone...
The more i search, the more i see people saying the same thing. I just keep wondering at what point is it faulty?
For instance, the ONLY thing I'm doing right now is searching and posting on this forum and my phone is heating up... Not nearly as bad as it gets, but getting warm nonetheless. Why? (that's rhetorical)
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,753
 
Device(s): Samsung GS 4, Motorola Backflip; Motorola Atrix 4G and Lapdock
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 56
Thanked 247 Times in 226 Posts
Default

Ok, so I've seen on this forum and other about the S4 heating up for some people. I have to say that I don't have this problem. On average my phone stays around 84 to 99 degrees at all times. (When not in direct sun light.) I can play 3D games and be on the net for 30 min or so and only get to around 104 degrees. (I have an Outterbox Commuter case on as well.) What I have noticed is when the screen brightness goes up, so does the temp.

I use a 3rd party battery monitor app for the temp. Its very useful and worth looking into.
itsallgood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Harry2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Black Forest
Posts: 5,185
 
Device(s): One X, Sensation, Desire HD, Xperia Tablet S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 622
Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick33 View Post
... So the cpu can handle a lot of heat? I'd still really like to know HOW hot it's actually getting.
The set cpu app is a few bucks in the play store, but some people say it's not reliable...
Honestly, I don't know if the CPU's temperature is directly reachable for the OS. The CPU might monitoring its temperature by its own and acting to control it too, not needing the OS for this job.

The OS can read the battery's temperature for to take care of the battery.
So if the battery's temperature rising up -caused by CPU's heat and ambient temperature and its own warming- the phone's/battery's control takes action for to protect the battery.
If the battery's temperature rises above 45C (113F) while charging, the control will shut down charging until the battery will meet the allowed temperature range for charging ... the charging LED might flashing red&green for to indicates that.
Discharging now, the battery should be safe because it would be below its discharging temperature limit of 60C (140F).
But if the battery's temperature would increase further and rises above the battery's discharging temperature limit of 60C (140F), the phone should shut off (restarts).

As said before, the area near the CPU could have higher temperatures caused by the CPU's heat.
Actual phones' CPUs have temperature limits up to 90C (194F).

BTW, another question is the battery's life span which will be reduced by high temperatures.

Harry
Harry2 is offline  
Last edited by Harry2; September 5th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry2 For This Useful Post:
Nick33 (September 5th, 2013)
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): GS4 GT-i9505 4.2.2 I9505XXUBMEA
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick33 View Post
Zambeezi, unfortunately im just starting to think its just the nature of this phone...
The more i search, the more i see people saying the same thing. I just keep wondering at what point is it faulty?
For instance, the ONLY thing I'm doing right now is searching and posting on this forum and my phone is heating up... Not nearly as bad as it gets, but getting warm nonetheless. Why? (that's rhetorical)
I really hope not because I'm actually using mine less because it gets so hot. After using it I have to let it cool down before I can even have it in a pocket.

What gets me is that some phones get really hot and others don't...
zambeezi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): GS4 GT-i9505 4.2.2 I9505XXUBMEA
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just to add to the confusion... Today I took the back cover off my phone when it got really hot. My sim and micro sd trays is hot and the battery not. When it started heating up I thought that my sd card was the culprit. Even without the micro sd card the phone still got hot.
zambeezi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Harry2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Black Forest
Posts: 5,185
 
Device(s): One X, Sensation, Desire HD, Xperia Tablet S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 622
Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,114 Posts
Default

Hi Nick,
did some search about CPU temperature measure ... seems to be dependent on CPU type whether readable or not.
BTW, actual phones' CPUs have temperature limits up to 90C (194F).

The app TempMonitor by Dustinmj seems to be reliable ... just installed it

Harry
Harry2 is offline  
Last edited by Harry2; September 5th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry2 For This Useful Post:
Nick33 (September 5th, 2013)
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Harry2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Black Forest
Posts: 5,185
 
Device(s): One X, Sensation, Desire HD, Xperia Tablet S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 622
Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,114 Posts
Default

Sorry, double post (by AF server )
Harry2 is offline  
Last edited by Harry2; September 5th, 2013 at 09:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2 View Post
Honestly, I don't know if the CPU's temperature is directly reachable for the OS. The CPU might monitoring its temperature by its own and acting to control it too, not needing the OS for this job.

The OS can read the battery's temperature for to take care of the battery.
So if the battery's temperature rising up -caused by CPU's heat and ambient temperature and its own warming- the phone's/battery's control takes action for to protect the battery.
If the battery's temperature rises above 45C (113F) while charging, the control will shut down charging until the battery will meet the allowed temperature range for charging ... the charging LED might flashing red&green for to indicates that.
Discharging now, the battery should be safe because it would be below its discharging temperature limit of 60C (140F).
But if the battery's temperature would increase further and rises above the battery's discharging temperature limit of 60C (140F), the phone should shut off (restarts).

As said before, the area near the CPU could have higher temperatures caused by the CPU's heat.
Actual phones' CPUs have temperature limits up to 90C (194F).

BTW, another question is the battery's life span which will be reduced by high temperatures.

Harry
Harry and everyone, thank you so much for explaining and trying to help me out with this issue. This isn't the only problem I've been having with this device so I'm wondering if it's just plain faulty. I have sort of an "advantage" so to speak, because i have 2 brothers who also have S4's. So i have a standard to measure by. I've messed around with both their phones and neither of them are having this issue. Do their phones get warm, yes, but not nearly to the extent of mine.
I've been thinking about trying to get a new device, but I'm with Verizon and i def dont want a refurb... I mean as i said, the device is barely two months old... Like the dumbass that i am tho, i rooted.
So I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

Harry i will def look into that app. Thank you.
If anyone has any more input, im all ears.
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick33 For This Useful Post:
Harry2 (September 6th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old September 7th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Hey Harry, i looked into temp monitor and it doesn't seem the s4 is supported.. Are u running this app on an s4? It seems a lot of nexus owners use this app.
Just wanted to know before i purchased it. Thanks
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Oh and thank u for the likes harry
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick33 For This Useful Post:
Harry2 (September 7th, 2013)
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Harry2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Black Forest
Posts: 5,185
 
Device(s): One X, Sensation, Desire HD, Xperia Tablet S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 622
Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,114 Posts
Default

I'm running the app on a HTC One X and a Xperia tablet, both with Tegra3 CPU. So no info about the S4, sorry.

CPU temperature isn't shown by default, you have to set it on TempMonitor's settings.
But it's done quickly and the CPU temperature is shown immediately, so you'd install and try out it easily in that 15 minutes Google Play time.
For to try out the (simple) user interface you'd install the free version. It has an other icon (look for the dev's name) and doesn't support all of of these CPUs that the paid version supports. But maybe it supports the S4

Harry
Harry2 is offline  
Last edited by Harry2; September 7th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): GS4 GT-i9505 4.2.2 I9505XXUBMEA
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just a update.

I've been experimenting with various modems on my phone and temps are getting better. Currently I've got XXUDMH8 flashed. Using wifi it gets warm but not nearly as hot as it did. I still have to try using mobile data only
zambeezi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
LaTuFu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,123
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Electrify 2, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S Mesmerize, Galaxy 10.
Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks: 82
Thanked 219 Times in 191 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to LaTuFu LaTuFu
Default

You have been running a rooted phone with a custom ROM? That was need to know information earlier. The culprit may still be your battery, but any time you load custom OS that adds a whole new layer of possibilities.
LaTuFu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Psychotic Female
 
Petrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,080
 
Device(s): GE Galaxy S4 CM 11 | GSM Galaxy Nexus CM 11 | G-Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,152
Thanked 1,437 Times in 925 Posts
Default

Nick33,

Have you tried resetting the phone? This is one way to rule out a software or corrupt file issue. If you can reset (without adding any new 3rd party apps) and continue to get heat like before, then I recommend getting the phone replaced.
__________________
Forum Rules & Guidelines & Zero Tolerance Policy
Agree with a post? Hit Like! Someone help you? Hit Thanks!
See a naughty post or a thread in the wrong area? Hit Report!
Petrah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
You have been running a rooted phone with a custom ROM? That was need to know information earlier. The culprit may still be your battery, but any time you load custom OS that adds a whole new layer of possibilities.

Nope, no custom rom. Just rooted my friend. I was getting this issue before i rooted(which makes me a moron, bc if i need a replacement from Samsung, it may be more difficult now :-() im using a verizon phone, so as of right now bootloader is locked down right. Couldn't run a rom if i wanted.
I really don't believe it's a battery issue, it could be... Idk. Its just heating up starting near the camera and the top half of the phone burns up.
I've tried different things like turning wifi off when i dont need it... It's helped a bit.. Altho i just think it's bullsh!t that i even have to do that.
@harry, i didnt see a free version of setcpu man, only paid... I think i may download it nonetheless tho.
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Petra, ive tried to factory reset twice to no avail... Altho i may try again due to my screen issue. I've come to learn that this "bleeding" thru of white on my black screens has to do with a brightness issue.
For some reason my s4's brightness is calibrated way too high. The reason i know this is bc ive been testing out brightness controls on screen adjuster apps. When i turn the contrast or bightless to about 60% on the app and then use whatever brightness i want on the device, the bleed disappears completely... Figure that one out...
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambeezi View Post
Just a update.

I've been experimenting with various modems on my phone and temps are getting better. Currently I've got XXUDMH8 flashed. Using wifi it gets warm but not nearly as hot as it did. I still have to try using mobile data only
Hey zambeezi, don't want to leave you out bc u ARE experiencing the same issue. So feel free to ask advice or whatever on this thread bro. Itll help us both out.
So what do you mean you tried different modems? You mean changed ur homes router?
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
LaTuFu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,123
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Electrify 2, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S Mesmerize, Galaxy 10.
Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks: 82
Thanked 219 Times in 191 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to LaTuFu LaTuFu
Default

Sorry nick, I wasn't referring to you. I was replying to Zambeezi. I should have been more clear.
LaTuFu is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
Sorry nick, I wasn't referring to you. I was replying to Zambeezi. I should have been more clear.
It's all good man. Don't sweat it at all

Oh and @harry, ignore the comment about the app u suggested. I had setcpu on the brain for some reason. We are talking about temp monitor. Sorry for that
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #32 (permalink)
Psychotic Female
 
Petrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,080
 
Device(s): GE Galaxy S4 CM 11 | GSM Galaxy Nexus CM 11 | G-Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,152
Thanked 1,437 Times in 925 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick33 View Post
Petra, ive tried to factory reset twice to no avail... Altho i may try again due to my screen issue. I've come to learn that this "bleeding" thru of white on my black screens has to do with a brightness issue.
For some reason my s4's brightness is calibrated way too high. The reason i know this is bc ive been testing out brightness controls on screen adjuster apps. When i turn the contrast or bightless to about 60% on the app and then use whatever brightness i want on the device, the bleed disappears completely... Figure that one out...

Sounds like there's some issues with that phone. If you're still under warranty Id return it, otherwise you're stuck with a lemon.
Petrah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Sounds like there's some issues with that phone. If you're still under warranty Id return it, otherwise you're stuck with a lemon.
Hey Petrah. Like the name btw
I've been trying to work on returning it actually. It's only 2 months old so im still under samsungs warranty, however ill need to unroot my phone. The thing is, i dont want them trying to "repair" my device. Past experiences have shown me that almost never works out.
I do have verizon insurance, BUT i think it only covers user damage and they also give u a refurbished phone... Which i def don't want either...
So i don't know what to do really or how to proceed.
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #34 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Oh and @harry, if ur still reading this post, i downloaded temp monitor and u do need a custom kernel for the cpu temp. Even then, i dont think it works on the S4. Altho the battery temp gauge works fine so far so ill be monitoring that. Thanks again for the suggestion
Nick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick33 For This Useful Post:
Harry2 (September 16th, 2013)
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The all-new Samsung Galaxy S4 is all but guaranteed to be the next top-selling device. The new device is dubbed the "Life Companion" due to its intuitive features. The Galaxy S4 sports a 5-inch 1080p Super AMOLED display, an awesome 13 MP... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.