Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By ironass
  • 1 Post By ironass
  • 1 Post By lotus49
  • 1 Post By Petrah
  • 1 Post By Goodspike
  • 1 Post By Hadron
  • 1 Post By lotus49
  • 1 Post By Petrah
  • 2 Post By ironass
  • 4 Post By Mikestony
  • 3 Post By Mikestony

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 7th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Sdahe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 135
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Bloatware in Galaxy S4

Hello...

I just got a new Galaxy S4 today and it's great... love the screen. I have one question.. which apps are safe to disable?

Thanks!!!

Sdahe is offline  
sponsored links
Old September 7th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,038
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,088
Thanked 3,624 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default

See the spreadsheet in item #10 of the Bloatware removal - Dummies Guide
berryracer likes this.
__________________
Did you know that hitting the Thanks button is quicker than typing it and the Search button is your friend.

Dummies Guides Rooting Galaxy S4 * Know Your S4 * Update Problems * Knox Security * Bloatware * GPS
ironass is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
berryracer (September 7th, 2013), freakshow85 (November 30th, 2013), jmt9779 (September 9th, 2013), shmn (September 7th, 2013)
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Sdahe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 135
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I guess that the ones in green are safe to disable... right?
Sdahe is offline  
Old September 7th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,038
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,088
Thanked 3,624 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdahe View Post
I guess that the ones in green are safe to disable... right?
As per item #11 of the guide, they are safe to disable.
berryracer likes this.
ironass is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
berryracer (September 7th, 2013)
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 29
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: o2

Thanks: 11
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

You might want to just 'freeze' them instead of fully removing them. The 2nd option can cause problems updating the firmware in the future
The_Ty is offline  
Old September 8th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Sdahe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 135
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Hello... would it be ok (safe) to disable these samsung apps from the Galaxy S4?

uploadfromtaptalk1378694198332.jpg
Sdahe is offline  
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident Air Bender
 
DragonSlayer95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,397
 
Device(s): Moto G, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,948
Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,803 Posts
DragonSlayer8724
Default

As long as you don't actively use the Samsung bloat, there is no harm.

And if it starts to act up, you could always undo it
__________________
Has someone helped you? Dont forget to hit the "thanks" button!
Seen an offense or bad post? Hit the /!\ button!
DragonSlayer95 is online now  
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Sdahe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 135
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer95 View Post
As long as you don't actively use the Samsung bloat, there is no harm.

And if it starts to act up, you could always undo it
Yeah, I don't use them...
Sdahe is offline  
Old September 9th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Resident Air Bender
 
DragonSlayer95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,397
 
Device(s): Moto G, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,948
Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,803 Posts
DragonSlayer8724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdahe View Post
Yeah, I don't use them...
Your safe to disable then
DragonSlayer95 is online now  
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lotus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yorkshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,330
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Xoom (wi-fi), Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 67
Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts
Default

I have seen a lot of posts about "bloatware" but I am somewhat unconvinced that disabling or removing it actually makes a material difference.

Is there any evidence that it does?
Goodspike likes this.
lotus49 is offline  
sponsored links
Old September 9th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 167
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7, ZTE Light Tab 2, Droid 3, Droid 2G
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
I have seen a lot of posts about "bloatware" but I am somewhat unconvinced that disabling or removing it actually makes a material difference.

Is there any evidence that it does?
What constitutes a "material difference?" I have disable all sorts of crap on my phone. I have had none of the kag of battery issues others complain about.

I can't tell you if disabling crapware is the reason that my s4 sings along so nicely. But there is no downside that I can see.
WalkaboutDavid is offline  
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lotus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yorkshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,330
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Xoom (wi-fi), Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 67
Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkaboutDavid View Post
What constitutes a "material difference?" I have disable all sorts of crap on my phone. I have had none of the kag of battery issues others complain about.

I can't tell you if disabling crapware is the reason that my s4 sings along so nicely. But there is no downside that I can see.
By "material" I mean a noticeable difference and one that is measurable. No-one spends hours doing something and then says it made no difference, it's just human nature.

I haven't disabled anything and I haven't had any of those problems either.

I am not saying it definitely doesn't make a difference but, as I said above, I am sceptical. However, being the scientifically inclined chap that I am, I am open to being proved wrong by some actual evidence. If anyone has seen any, I would be interested to see it.
lotus49 is offline  
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 29
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: o2

Thanks: 11
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdahe View Post
Hello... would it be ok (safe) to disable these samsung apps from the Galaxy S4?

Attachment 61133
I'd need to double check but AFAIK freezing/removing Samsung bloatware won't cause any problems, I've done it for a Galaxy S2 and S4 and it went just fine. Removing anything Google related you need to be careful though.
The_Ty is offline  
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Just be careful. In titanium backup there are apps in red that im hesitant to touch. So far i haven't gotten rid of much. I did however end up uninstalling S-health using TB and cant get it back now
Nick33 is offline  
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 651
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 Black 32GB
Carrier: Three (UK)

Thanks: 29
Thanked 101 Times in 85 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
By "material" I mean a noticeable difference and one that is measurable. No-one spends hours doing something and then says it made no difference, it's just human nature.

I haven't disabled anything and I haven't had any of those problems either.

I am not saying it definitely doesn't make a difference but, as I said above, I am sceptical. However, being the scientifically inclined chap that I am, I am open to being proved wrong by some actual evidence. If anyone has seen any, I would be interested to see it.
I am in the same boat .. Don't see an advantage in disabling stuff ... my S4 runs nicely, always has some memory free .. I'd see only an advantage if I see some Samsung services constantly causing the phone to consume 100% memory, swapping like crazy and causing the thing to come to a halt .. Never had that though - so I don't bother
Gomjaba is offline  
Old September 10th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 29
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post

I haven't disabled anything and I haven't had any of those problems either.
Same here, I too am guessing maybe someone has a bad app or two, or feel like their phone runs better since it's not 'stock'. Maybe one does feel they've made improvements? That's fine too.
APBTx2 is offline  
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Sdahe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 135
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Hello guys... I just installed Android 4.3 and would like to know which bloatware is fine to turn off...

Right now these are the ones I have disable...






These are the ones that are running -Which one of these I can disable?

Sdahe is offline  
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: st pete fl
Gender: Male
Posts: 22
 
Device(s): samsung galaxy s4 at&t unlocked to tmoble its a 1337 4.2.2 mf3 rooted sd method
Carrier: t-moble

Thanks: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

it would be nice to have a bloatware list that is safe to remove for each carrier insted of the guessing
koupe88 is offline  
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Psychotic Female
 
Petrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,080
 
Device(s): GE Galaxy S4 CM 11 | GSM Galaxy Nexus CM 11 | G-Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,152
Thanked 1,437 Times in 925 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjaba View Post
Don't see an advantage in disabling stuff

Until I recently rooted, I had a whole slew of things disabled. Each time an app is updated with new features and additions it gets a tiny bit bigger. Disabling the app uninstalls all of the updates and then disables it from being used. While it may not make a huge difference in freeing up space, it made enough of a difference to make me happy. It's annoying to see persistent reminders to update an app that you never use, and now that you can disable those apps you don't have to be pestered half to death with the notifications anymore.

Great features and well worth using in my book.
2badmice likes this.
__________________
Forum Rules & Guidelines & Zero Tolerance Policy
Agree with a post? Hit Like! Someone help you? Hit Thanks!
See a naughty post or a thread in the wrong area? Hit Report!
Petrah is offline  
Old November 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Until I recently rooted, I had a whole slew of things disabled. Each time an app is updated with new features and additions it gets a tiny bit bigger. Disabling the app uninstalls all of the updates and then disables it from being used. While it may not make a huge difference in freeing up space, it made enough of a difference to make me happy. It's annoying to see persistent reminders to update an app that you never use, and now that you can disable those apps you don't have to be pestered half to death with the notifications anymore.
The other option is to just turn off automatic updates and only update the things you use. But you will get those notifications that updates are available and have to pick through the list to find the ones you really want to update. I consider that a minor annoyance.

I'm not a fan of disabling things unless they are causing an issue. For example, I made the mistake of signing up for Verizon's NFL thing, and it kept sending me scores which I didn't want because I DVR games. Disabling the app was the easiest solution. And with that app I wasn't worried it would be doing something else that I wanted that related to some other app I did use.
Goodspike is offline  
sponsored links
Old November 27th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by koupe88 View Post
it would be nice to have a bloatware list that is safe to remove for each carrier insted of the guessing
The reason there's no list is probably because you're not really accomplishing much. The programs will still be taking up storage space on the phone and even when allowed to be active those programs are not doing much, if anything. If they're in memory, they're probably not taking up many CPU cycles, and if memory is needed they'll be unloaded if they're not doing anything.
lotus49 likes this.
Goodspike is offline  
Old November 29th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
Psychotic Female
 
Petrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,080
 
Device(s): GE Galaxy S4 CM 11 | GSM Galaxy Nexus CM 11 | G-Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,152
Thanked 1,437 Times in 925 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
The other option is to just turn off automatic updates and only update the things you use. But you will get those notifications that updates are available and have to pick through the list to find the ones you really want to update. I consider that a minor annoyance.
I considered that option, and then chose the one I previously mentioned because it suits my needs better. I'm just thankful that the options are there for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I'm not a fan of disabling things unless they are causing an issue. For example, I made the mistake of signing up for Verizon's NFL thing, and it kept sending me scores which I didn't want because I DVR games. Disabling the app was the easiest solution. And with that app I wasn't worried it would be doing something else that I wanted that related to some other app I did use.
This is where choices come in again. I like having them, and being able to set my phone up in a way that makes me happy. My S4 wasn't rooted then, but it is now and thankfully I can just uninstall the extra apps that I don't need instead of disabling them.

I enjoy reading about how others do things with their phones.
Petrah is offline  
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
This is where choices come in again. I like having them, and being able to set my phone up in a way that makes me happy. My S4 wasn't rooted then, but it is now and thankfully I can just uninstall the extra apps that I don't need instead of disabling them.

I enjoy reading about how others do things with their phones.
If you are rooted and can actually uninstall an app, then there's a point to doing it. Absent that though, it just seems like a waste of time (with a chance of unintended consequences) . Yes, people can choose to waste their time, but most won't if they understand that an Android phone is not a Windows PC.
Goodspike is offline  
Old November 29th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Psychotic Female
 
Petrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,080
 
Device(s): GE Galaxy S4 CM 11 | GSM Galaxy Nexus CM 11 | G-Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,152
Thanked 1,437 Times in 925 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
people can choose to waste their time
But this is not about opinions or what you and I perceive to be best. This is about the OP and offering suggestions to help him/her achieve what they want. Then they can peruse the suggestions and make an informed decision based on their needs.
Petrah is offline  
Old November 29th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
But this is not about opinions or what you and I perceive to be best. This is about the OP and offering suggestions to help him/her achieve what they want. Then they can peruse the suggestions and make an informed decision based on their needs.
If we're just talking about the OP making an informed decision, then the first answer that was a good answer was Lotus49, who in post #10 suggested that disabling apps was just a waste of time and doesn't provide a material difference. Someone should have given that answer a lot sooner, so that the OP could have made an informed decision. I'm a bit surprised I didn't jump in with that type of advice sooner.

I've disabled four apps:

1. NFL Mobile, because after I signed up it started sending me unwanted information about games I had not yet watched. Disabling it was easier than figuring out how to turn off that feature of an app I found I have no use for.

2. S-Voice, because I want to use the Google voice feature and didn't want to worry which voice feature I was using.

3. Multimedia UI Service Layer, because it would sometimes turn on the wrong music play when connecting to bluetooth.

4. S-Health, because I was probably being stupid. I remember reading something about that app, but don't remember what.

Note none of this was to speed up my phone. It was all to deal with a specific issue. A list of apps you can disable won't really help you with that sort of thing.

But again, people can do whatever they want. I don't have a problem with that. But to the extent someone claims that they got some sort of speed increase by doing that, I would attribute that to a placebo effect, as explained by Lotus49.
Goodspike is offline  
Old November 29th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Hadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dimension Jumping
Posts: 11,583
 
Device(s): HTC One (S-Off), HTC Desire (retired)
Carrier: Orange UK

Thanks: 2,157
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,488 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
If you are rooted and can actually uninstall an app, then there's a point to doing it. Absent that though, it just seems like a waste of time (with a chance of unintended consequences) . Yes, people can choose to waste their time, but most won't if they understand that an Android phone is not a Windows PC.
Can you explain why uninstalling an app has a purpose but disabling it from running does not? And if disabling can have consequences surely uninstalling can have too - and disabling is easier to reverse, and usually not offered for truly essential apps.

If you say it doesn't matter whether it's disabled or not, why is there a point in uninstalling? Just trying to follow the logic.
Petrah likes this.
__________________
Forum Rules & Guidelines - Android Forums FAQ
If a post helps you, use the Thanks! button.
Spam or offensive? Don't respond, report it /!\
Hadron is offline  
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
Psychotic Female
 
Petrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,080
 
Device(s): GE Galaxy S4 CM 11 | GSM Galaxy Nexus CM 11 | G-Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,152
Thanked 1,437 Times in 925 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Note none of this was to speed up my phone. It was all to deal with a specific issue. A list of apps you can disable won't really help you with that sort of thing.

The OP wants to know if they can disable certain apps because they do not use them. Not to speed up the phone.
Petrah is offline  
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lotus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yorkshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,330
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Xoom (wi-fi), Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 67
Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
The OP wants to know if they can disable certain apps because they do not use them. Not to speed up the phone.
While I wouldn't argue that everyone is free to do as they wish with their phone, not using an app is not a reason to uninstall it. If you don't use it, just ignore it. Apps (except some games and a very small number of others) are tiny so uninstalling them won't do anything useful at all.

I have seen numerous threads about so-called bloatware but despite asking repeatedly, I have yet to see a single good reason to do anything about it at all.

FWIW, my advice would be not to bother about it. Leaving it as it is will do no harm and uninstalling or freezing it will serve no useful purpose.
Goodspike likes this.
lotus49 is offline  
Old November 30th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,038
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,088
Thanked 3,624 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
I have seen numerous threads about so-called bloatware but despite asking repeatedly, I have yet to see a single good reason to do anything about it at all.
I, and others, have noted your repeated demands for scientific proof that de-bloating has any effect on performance, battery life, usability, etc; and, I suspect that like me, they simply cannot be arsed to get into a long, pointless, discussion as there is no scientific way to prove it that I know of on 2 separate phones in 2 separate locations, on 2 separate frimwares, on 2 separate sets of apps, on 2 different sets of usage.

All I would say is that it works for me and for a lot of others who have tried it, not to mention the esteemed and knowledgeable developers who take the time and trouble to issue modified and separate Slim, de-bloated, versions of their ROMs to meet the demand from rooted users.

Bottom line is... suck it and see!
ironass is offline  
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadron View Post
Can you explain why uninstalling an app has a purpose but disabling it from running does not? And if disabling can have consequences surely uninstalling can have too - and disabling is easier to reverse, and usually not offered for truly essential apps.

If you say it doesn't matter whether it's disabled or not, why is there a point in uninstalling? Just trying to follow the logic.
It's just a matter of free space. Of the 16GB of storage space on a typical S4, I believe slightly more than half is filled with the OS and the carrier bloatware. Uninstalling the program would create more free space which you could use for other programs/data.

Think of it this way. On a Windows computer the manufacturer may have installed a version of Quicken. You might be able to "disable" Quicken by preventing some service it needs from starting. That won't speed up your computer (unless maybe that service starts on boot and isn't otherwise needed). If you don't use Quicken, uninstalling that application won't speed up your computer, but it will create more free disc space.
Goodspike is offline  
sponsored links
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
All I would say is that it works for me and for a lot of others who have tried it, not to mention the esteemed and knowledgeable developers who take the time and trouble to issue modified and separate Slim, de-bloated, versions of their ROMs to meet the demand from rooted users.

Bottom line is... suck it and see!
This is not about custom ROMs! It's about disabling apps on a phone that has not been rooted.

I don't think anyone is making the claim that there is no speed difference between different ROMs. That would be like claiming that there's no speed difference between 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4.

And technically I don't think we're saying there's no difference. If some bloatware is loaded and has to be unloaded to allow another app to load, there would be a tiny speed difference in the loading of that app. But with the S4 having 2GB of ram, that's both insignificant and pretty rare.
Goodspike is offline  
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
The OP wants to know if they can disable certain apps because they do not use them. Not to speed up the phone.
Okay, yes I am assuming that they want to do that in the belief it would speed up the phone. I'm not sure what the point of such a list would be otherwise the OP could have just asked "How do I disable the _____ app?"
Goodspike is offline  
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lotus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yorkshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,330
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Xoom (wi-fi), Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 67
Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
I, and others, have noted your repeated demands...
I have simply asked (certainly not demanded) whether there is any evidence it makes any difference. These requests have been met by a deafening silence and it's not hard to guess why.
lotus49 is offline  
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
I have simply asked (certainly not demanded) whether there is any evidence it makes any difference. These requests have been met by a deafening silence and it's not hard to guess why.
Actually, it's somewhat surprising.

Using another Windows situation as being analogous, maybe 15 years ago a lot of people were claiming that they could speed up their computers by deleting all the files in the "prefetch" directory. The claims made were that Windows didn't adequately deal with cleaning up those files, so deleting them allowed it to start over and would speed things up. Unfortunately, none of those claims were true--it would actually slow down your computer for the next several boots, despite people attesting to the process.

Once you spend time doing something, you tend to see some improvement from what you did, even if the improvement is actually a degradation in performance.
Goodspike is offline  
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,038
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,088
Thanked 3,624 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
This is not about custom ROMs! It's about disabling apps on a phone that has not been rooted.

I don't think anyone is making the claim that there is no speed difference between different ROMs. That would be like claiming that there's no speed difference between 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4.
I realise it is not about custom ROMs... honest! I was using that to illustrate that skilled and knowledgeable ROM developers go out of their way to offer de-bloated, apps removed, ROMs to save users having to do it themselves. I doubt very much if they would go to all that time, trouble or effort if they were convinced there was no gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
These requests have been met by a deafening silence and it's not hard to guess why.
I should hope so, as I explained...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
I suspect that like me, they simply cannot be arsed to get into a long, pointless, discussion as there is no scientific way to prove it
On the contrary, would it not be better instead to prove your allegation that de-bloating by disabling, freezing or removing apps, does not improve the phone in any way, shape or form.
ironass is offline  
Old November 30th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lotus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yorkshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,330
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Xoom (wi-fi), Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 67
Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
On the contrary, would it not be better instead to prove your allegation that de-bloating by disabling, freezing or removing apps, does not improve the phone in any way, shape or form.
No it wouldn't. I take it that you are not familiar with Occam's razor.

However, in defiance of a principle widely accepted by philosophers for 800 years, I put forward this piece of analysis carried out by a well-respected member of the XDA community that does indeed support my contention that it makes no material difference at all http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1888149.

In my admittedly brief search, I could find no evidence that disagreed with my thesis.
lotus49 is offline  
Last edited by lotus49; November 30th, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old November 30th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #37 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Hadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dimension Jumping
Posts: 11,583
 
Device(s): HTC One (S-Off), HTC Desire (retired)
Carrier: Orange UK

Thanks: 2,157
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,488 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
It's just a matter of free space. Of the 16GB of storage space on a typical S4, I believe slightly more than half is filled with the OS and the carrier bloatware. Uninstalling the program would create more free space which you could use for other programs/data.
However, the pre-installed apps generally live in /system, and removing stuff from there won't create space in the /data partition (which the user sees as the internal storage), so all you gain is space used by the dalvik element. You'd need to repartition to reclaim the space, or move apps to /system, to gain more.
Hadron is offline  
Last edited by Hadron; November 30th, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old November 30th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
Psychotic Female
 
Petrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,080
 
Device(s): GE Galaxy S4 CM 11 | GSM Galaxy Nexus CM 11 | G-Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,152
Thanked 1,437 Times in 925 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdahe View Post
Hello...

I just got a new Galaxy S4 today and it's great... love the screen. I have one question.. which apps are safe to disable?

Thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
See the spreadsheet in item #10 of the Bloatware removal - Dummies Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdahe View Post
I guess that the ones in green are safe to disable... right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
As per item #11 of the guide, they are safe to disable.
Thank you Ironass! Great answers as always.

Pretty sure the rest of us can do our best to get back on topic.
ironass likes this.
Petrah is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petrah For This Useful Post:
ironass (November 30th, 2013), Mikestony (November 30th, 2013)
Old November 30th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,038
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,088
Thanked 3,624 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
No it wouldn't. I take it that you are not familiar with Occam's razor.
I feel I must definitely correct you there lotus49... I am indeed familiar with the principle of, "Ockham's Razor"... as my post 3 days ago, here, proves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
I like your root request theory. I think it's a case of Ockham's, (Occam's), Razor.
Quote:
However, in defiance of a principle widely accepted by philosophers for 800 years, I put forward this piece of analysis carried out by a well-respected member of the XDA community that does indeed support my contention that it makes no material difference at all Removing bloatware and battery/permormance improvement - xda-developers.

In my admittedly brief search, I could find no evidence that disagreed with my thesis.
Sorry, but there are a lot more developers and hundreds of thousands of users worldwide who would disagree with that, as indeed they do in the thread you quote.

As I said at the outset... "I can't be arsed!" End of.
ironass is offline  
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:11 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,038
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,088
Thanked 3,624 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdahe View Post
Hello guys... I just installed Android 4.3 and would like to know which bloatware is fine to turn off...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are the ones that are running -Which one of these I can disable?

Hello Sdahe! Apologies... I seem to have got a little side tracked.

As with any of the apps in your list it depends on...

1. Is this a, "must have", system app that is required for your device to function... such as Settings for instance.

2. Is it something that another function, that you yourself use on your device, needs in order to operate. (see, Unified Daemon(EUR), below)

3. Is it something that you find useful on your device. (see, WatchON, below)

As there are currently 18 models of Galaxy S4 and thousands of different firmware versions, as discussed in 18 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?, it is impossible to cover every eventuality and operator add-on in a spreadsheet such as the one mentioned in #10 of the Bloatware removal - Dummies Guide. Particularly since Android 4.3 has introduced some Knox security apps as well.

Things such as the Samsung keyboard depend on your own usage and whether you have a third party app, alternative. Others, such as WatchON are an easier, straightforward choice for the user.

The AT&T software update would, if disabled, prevent you receiving firmware updates from the carrier. This feature is OK to disable if you are rooted and on a custom ROM that does not rely on carrier updates but needs to be enabled otherwise.

Other apps such as, "Unified Daemon(EUR)", require the use of Google search before you attempt to make a decision. In this case, it controls the built-in news, weather and stock functions and I have it disabled as I use third party alternatives.

The key thing to remember is... if in doubt... do not disable it!

Hope that helps.
Mikestony and Petrah like this.
ironass is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
joesixpack (April 17th, 2014), Mikestony (December 1st, 2013), Petrah (December 1st, 2013)
sponsored links
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:40 AM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lotus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yorkshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,330
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Xoom (wi-fi), Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 67
Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
I feel I must definitely correct you there lotus49... I am indeed familiar with the principle of, "Ockham's Razor"... as my post 3 days ago, here, proves...
Fair enough but you will then know why I said "No." in my post above. The first unsupported assumption made was that removing bloatware does make a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Sorry, but there are a lot more developers and hundreds of thousands of users worldwide who would disagree with that, as indeed they do in the thread you quote.
Maybe there are, maybe there aren't but like the dissenting voices in the thread I linked to, none of them seems to have any actual evidence, which is my point. Lots of people believe task killers speed up their phone, but they are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
As I said at the outset... "I can't be arsed!" End of.
I have had reason to be grateful to you in the past (and have thanked posts of yours several times) and I had no intention of trying to place any expectation on you or anyone else specifically, but the fact remains that the only evidence anyone has come up with so far supports my contention. If someone produces evidence to the contrary, I shall read it with interest and an open mind.
lotus49 is offline  
Old December 1st, 2013, 06:51 AM   #42 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,999
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,225
Thanked 12,692 Times in 7,819 Posts
Default

Whether or not disabling or removing apps improves performance of the device is not the topic of this thread.
Let's respect the op and focus on his question
Thanks.
ocnbrze, ironass, Sdahe and 1 others like this.
__________________




Click "Show" for my signature
Android Forums FAQ's
List of Staff
Mikestony is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mikestony For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (December 2nd, 2013), ironass (December 1st, 2013), ocnbrze (December 1st, 2013), Petrah (December 1st, 2013)
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:56 AM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestony View Post
Whether or not disabling or removing apps improves performance of the device is not the topic of this thread.
Let's respect the op and focus on his question
Thanks.
So, for future reference, if someone asks what the best task killer is, we shouldn't tell them that task killers don't do any good and only waste battery?

I'm sorry, but the OP will likely have a much better experience with their phone and will have fewer problems in the future if they don't go off and start disabling apps left and right. Perhaps disabling an app might not cause a problem now, but it might when they download or upgrade an app, and that that point to solve the problem they'll have to figure out not only that it's a disabled app causing the problem but also which of the 10 or 20 apps they disabled are causing the problem. Not an ideal situation when the benefit of disabling the apps is extremely limited, if it exists at all.

If they want to speed up their phone they should do things that actually work, like turn off some of the Samsung features that use sensors to monitor what you're doing.
Goodspike is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodspike For This Useful Post:
Mikestony (December 1st, 2013), ocnbrze (December 1st, 2013)
Old December 1st, 2013, 02:03 PM   #44 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,999
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,225
Thanked 12,692 Times in 7,819 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
So, for future reference, if someone asks what the best task killer is, we shouldn't tell them that task killers don't do any good and only waste battery?
As long as it doesn't get into a debate about it without the OP involved
I felt like this thread was turning into a "does disabling apps make the device perform better?"-discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I'm sorry, but the OP will likely have a much better experience with their phone and will have fewer problems in the future if they don't go off and start disabling apps left and right. Perhaps disabling an app might not cause a problem now, but it might when they download or upgrade an app, and that that point to solve the problem they'll have to figure out not only that it's a disabled app causing the problem but also which of the 10 or 20 apps they disabled are causing the problem. Not an ideal situation when the benefit of disabling the apps is extremely limited, if it exists at all.
Totally agreed! And could have been offered that reasoning earlier. And if the op decided to pursue that topic, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
If they want to speed up their phone they should do things that actually work, like turn off some of the Samsung features that use sensors to monitor what you're doing.
Also agreed. But again, if the op wanted to discuss that, they would have pursued it.

My PSA was nothing personal, nor was it meant to cut short any discussion of the OP's topic.
We cool
Any questions, feel free to p.m. me
Mikestony is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mikestony For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (December 2nd, 2013), ironass (December 2nd, 2013), lotus49 (December 5th, 2013), ocnbrze (December 1st, 2013), Petrah (December 1st, 2013)
Old December 1st, 2013, 02:39 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

The OP hasn't posted anything here since the 14th. The sidetrack didn't occur until over ten days later. From that we can only conclude:

1. The OP is gone;
2. The OP doesn't care; or
3. The OP accidentally bricked his phone disabling a necessary app.
Goodspike is offline  
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:07 PM   #46 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,999
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,225
Thanked 12,692 Times in 7,819 Posts
Default

Edit: it seems as though the OP's question has been answered now.

As I have stated, feel free to p.m. me.

/thread closed
ocnbrze, ironass and Petrah like this.
Mikestony is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mikestony For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (December 2nd, 2013), ironass (December 2nd, 2013), ocnbrze (December 1st, 2013), Petrah (December 1st, 2013)
Closed Thread

Samsung Galaxy S4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The all-new Samsung Galaxy S4 is all but guaranteed to be the next top-selling device. The new device is dubbed the "Life Companion" due to its intuitive features. The Galaxy S4 sports a 5-inch 1080p Super AMOLED display, an awesome 13 MP... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.