Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 24th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation First time android user questions on lock screen

I've been a long time iPhone/Mac guy and activated my first android (Galaxy S4) yesterday. I'm trying to learn it and am doing ok but the challenge I am facing is related to the lock screen/pin lock.

Essentially, I want to use the pin lock to secure my phone but still receive the push notification previews from text messages, new gmail messages, instagram, and linkedin as I did on my iPhone. I downloaded widgetlocker but it doesn't seem to play well with the pin lock and so far only has allowed me to access the camera and drop in the dashclock widget (without pin) but I am not getting previews of new texts and other messages. This is a big deal for me as I need to have that quick preview of items that may need immediate attention without fully unlocking my phone. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

cratemonster is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 24th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,222
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 13,760
Thanked 11,862 Times in 6,837 Posts
Default

Welcome to the forums!!!

This is likely going to require a device-specific solution, so I moved this thread to the galaxy s4 portion of the site where other users who have the same phone as you can make some suggestions
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 148
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, HTC Evo 4G LTE, Samsung S3, Several older Android and WinMo phones
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5
Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratemonster View Post
I've been a long time iPhone/Mac guy and activated my first android (Galaxy S4) yesterday. I'm trying to learn it and am doing ok but the challenge I am facing is related to the lock screen/pin lock.

Essentially, I want to use the pin lock to secure my phone but still receive the push notification previews from text messages, new gmail messages, instagram, and linkedin as I did on my iPhone. I downloaded widgetlocker but it doesn't seem to play well with the pin lock and so far only has allowed me to access the camera and drop in the dashclock widget (without pin) but I am not getting previews of new texts and other messages. This is a big deal for me as I need to have that quick preview of items that may need immediate attention without fully unlocking my phone. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
I use the "pattern" lock on my phone. I get my text messages popping up on the lock screen. The setting for that is Messages>settings. Scroll down to Notification Settings and select Notifications and Preview Message. Not sure if the other apps will do that for you or not.
jejb is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jejb For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (September 24th, 2013)
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Darnell0216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: East Orange, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 825
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S 4 vMJA Rooted, HTC EVO Design 4G v4.0.3 Bootloader Unlocked & Rooted
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 19
Thanked 197 Times in 168 Posts
Default

Because the S4 was made with the corporate world in mind, previews and lock screen widgets are disabled when the phone is securely locked (PIN/Password). There are some 3rd party lock screens that allow app shortcuts with these security settings, requesting the unlock after choosing the app. I do not know if there's one with widgets (email) or previews since I haven't tried it.
__________________
Samsung Galaxy S 4 MJA Rooted with CF Auto-Root Tutorial by qbking77
HTC EVO Design 4G v4.0.3 Bootloader Unlocked & Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid

If it ain't broke, use a sledge hammer.
Darnell0216 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
Welcome to the forums!!!

This is likely going to require a device-specific solution, so I moved this thread to the galaxy s4 portion of the site where other users who have the same phone as you can make some suggestions
Ok thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by jejb View Post
I use the "pattern" lock on my phone. I get my text messages popping up on the lock screen. The setting for that is Messages>settings. Scroll down to Notification Settings and select Notifications and Preview Message. Not sure if the other apps will do that for you or not.
I may have to go that route but I prefer the pin security. I was hoping I could find an app that would essentially replace the native pin lock screen allowing me to disable it and establish a pin within the app and customize what apps I want to allow push notification previews within it. I thought the widgetlocker would do that but looks like not.
cratemonster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 699
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint, home of unlimited dialup

Thanks: 55
Thanked 217 Times in 170 Posts
Default

With an unrooted device, unfortunately Samsung has locked that out (ugh).
You do have the option of rooting, and then, the xposed framework can be installed with modules that will permit lockscreen widgets on locked lockscreens.

I miss the dashclock lockscreen widget that I had on my Nexus phone.
__________________
20gb free cloud storage with this link
jj14x is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnell0216 View Post
Because the S4 was made with the corporate world in mind, previews and lock screen widgets are disabled when the phone is securely locked (PIN/Password). There are some 3rd party lock screens that allow app shortcuts with these security settings, requesting the unlock after choosing the app. I do not know if there's one with widgets (email) or previews since I haven't tried it.
With all the customizable options on this phone it just seems silly that they would not allow the user to determine what if any preview is displayed in secure. For most I would imagine that having the options similar to iPhone where you can at least see "gmal message from xxxx" or the first few words of a text and who the sender is would be valuable. The risk exposure is very minimal while allowing the user to be more efficient in determining and arranging priorities. It's really too bad someone has not come up with an app that replaces the lock screen with pin options and customizable preview panes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
With an unrooted device, unfortunately Samsung has locked that out (ugh).
You do have the option of rooting, and then, the xposed framework can be installed with modules that will permit lockscreen widgets on locked lockscreens.

I miss the dashclock lockscreen widget that I had on my Nexus phone.
Way too much trouble, Having an iPhone for the last 3 years and being an iMac/Macbook user I have enough to learn and tweak to get this phone setup somewhere between apple and android, but thanks anyways

I guess I can keep searching for alternatives

I'll try to figure out how to move my digital copy movies from my iMac to the phone next... ugh.
cratemonster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 148
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, HTC Evo 4G LTE, Samsung S3, Several older Android and WinMo phones
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5
Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratemonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jejb
I use the "pattern" lock on my phone. I get my text messages popping up on the lock screen. The setting for that is Messages>settings. Scroll down to Notification Settings and select Notifications and Preview Message. Not sure if the other apps will do that for you or not.


I may have to go that route but I prefer the pin security.
The pattern lock is just below the pin for security strength, from what Samsung shows. More secure than the new fingerprint reader on the 5s, as that's already been hacked. The pattern lock is sure fast to use, too.
jejb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Darnell0216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: East Orange, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 825
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S 4 vMJA Rooted, HTC EVO Design 4G v4.0.3 Bootloader Unlocked & Rooted
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 19
Thanked 197 Times in 168 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratemonster View Post
With all the customizable options on this phone it just seems silly that they would not allow the user to determine what if any preview is displayed in secure. For most I would imagine that having the options similar to iPhone where you can at least see "gmal message from xxxx" or the first few words of a text and who the sender is would be valuable. The risk exposure is very minimal while allowing the user to be more efficient in determining and arranging priorities. It's really too bad someone has not come up with an app that replaces the lock screen with pin options and customizable preview panes.
Well this is not all on Samsung. They wanted the S4 to be compatible with the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) business model. This goes from the average worker to someone in national security. Would you find it easier to customize a unit that already has 18 configurations even more to meet differing levels of business security or just set one rule for them all and call it a day? LoL

With Knox on the horizon, I expect some things will become even more gimped with the added layer of security.
Darnell0216 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,760
 
Device(s): Samsung GS 4, Motorola Backflip; Motorola Atrix 4G and Lapdock
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 57
Thanked 248 Times in 227 Posts
Default

I use a 3rd party app called "Executive Assistant" which has a lock screen option to include quick preview to emails for multiple acct., social media apps, next alarm, text messages, missed calls and calender events. You can have short cuts to favorite apps and add widgets to it as well. I've been using it for over 3 yrs now and haven't found anything like it. Even though it updates in real time, its not a battery hog. You can still use the stock security lock and have this as your lock screen. (You will still need to input your security code, etc. to unlock the phone to open anything.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist&hl=en
itsallgood is offline  
Last edited by itsallgood; September 24th, 2013 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
I use a 3rd party app called "Executive Assistant" which has a lock screen option to include quick preview to emails for multiple acct., social media apps, next alarm, text messages, missed calls and calender events. You can have short cuts to favorite apps and add widgets to it as well. I've been using it for over 3 yrs now and haven't found anything like it. Even though it updates in real time, its not a battery hog. You can still use the stock security lock and have this as your lock screen. (You will still need to input your security code, etc. to unlock the phone to open anything.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist&hl=en
Thank you, this looks promising! I don't see anything about linkedin on it though which is very important to me right now...
cratemonster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 699
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint, home of unlimited dialup

Thanks: 55
Thanked 217 Times in 170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
I use a 3rd party app called "Executive Assistant" which has a lock screen option to include quick preview to emails for multiple acct., social media apps, next alarm, text messages, missed calls and calender events. You can have short cuts to favorite apps and add widgets to it as well. I've been using it for over 3 yrs now and haven't found anything like it. Even though it updates in real time, its not a battery hog. You can still use the stock security lock and have this as your lock screen. (You will still need to input your security code, etc. to unlock the phone to open anything.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist&hl=en
This is interesting. On the S4, Samsung prevents addition of any lockscreen widgets (when pin/pattern lock is enabled). How does this app get around that?
On your phone, does the lock screen widget show up if you have a pin lock on your lockscreen?

(on google play, I didn't see any reviews by a S4 user, so unsure whether this would do what op is asking for - I Emailed the dev with this question now)
jj14x is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
This is interesting. On the S4, Samsung prevents addition of any lockscreen widgets (when pin/pattern lock is enabled). How does this app get around that?
The Amazon MP3 player gets around it somehow, in a rather odd/annoying way.

If in the program you don't ask for a "lock screen controls" you'll get a small lock screen widget if music is playing, that takes up about the top third of the screen. If you ask for "lock screen controls" you'll get a whole screen lock screen widget which interferes with entering your password if that's what you want to do.
Goodspike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,760
 
Device(s): Samsung GS 4, Motorola Backflip; Motorola Atrix 4G and Lapdock
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 57
Thanked 248 Times in 227 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14x;[URL="tel:[URL="tel:6161940"
6161940[/URL]"]6161940[/URL]]This is interesting. On the S4, Samsung prevents addition of any lockscreen widgets (when pin/pattern lock is enabled). How does this app get around that?
On your phone, does the lock screen widget show up if you have a pin lock on your lockscreen?

(on google play, I didn't see any reviews by a S4 user, so unsure whether this would do what op is asking for - I Emailed the dev with this question now)
Actually, its not a lock screen widget. Its an actual lock screen. (Over the stock lock screen). So on my S4, when I wake it up the Executive Assistant lock screen shows with all of my custom previews of emails, text, next alarm, calender for next 5 days, missed calls, some shortcut apps and a few widgets. From this lock screen, I can either slide to unlock or press the physical home button to enter my pin on the stock lock screen.

Edited: I forgot to mention, the first picture shows, the Executive Assistant widget, at the top of my home screen. The second picture is the actual lock screen from Exexcutive Assistant.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2013-09-25-23-51--picsay.png (572.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2013-09-25-23-51--picsay1.png (554.2 KB, 18 views)
itsallgood is offline  
Last edited by itsallgood; September 26th, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsallgood For This Useful Post:
jj14x (September 26th, 2013)
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 62 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Folks - I use 'Delayed Lock' with a password. The phone locks after the time I specify - I have it set as 4 hours. However when it is unlocked, it shows the normal finger swipe lock screen. If you have quick glance turned on in Air Gestures the screen will show you the notifications, mail, time etc (settings, motions and gestures, air gesture, quick glance).

It simply acts like you only have swipe security until the timer kicks in and locks the phone with a password.
DaveSyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSyd View Post
Folks - I use 'Delayed Lock' with a password. The phone locks after the time I specify - I have it set as 4 hours. However when it is unlocked, it shows the normal finger swipe lock screen. If you have quick glance turned on in Air Gestures the screen will show you the notifications, mail, time etc (settings, motions and gestures, air gesture, quick glance).

It simply acts like you only have swipe security until the timer kicks in and locks the phone with a password.
Can you clarify how you have that setup? I'm not seeing how you have it show the swipe lock screen.
Goodspike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
Actually, its not a lock screen widget. Its an actual lock screen. (Over the stock lock screen). So on my S4, when I wake it up the Executive Assistant lock screen shows with all of my custom previews of emails, text, next alarm, calender for next 5 days, missed calls, some shortcut apps and a few widgets. From this lock screen, I can either slide to unlock or press the physical home button to enter my pin on the stock lock screen.

Edited: I forgot to mention, the first picture shows, the Executive Assistant widget, at the top of my home screen. The second picture is the actual lock screen from Exexcutive Assistant.
Nice! I like the layout! I assume to swipe open any of the message previews it also prompts you for your pin?

I'm still using widgetlocker but added in Executive Assistant as as a widget to include messages, email, and missed calls. The problem I am having is that I get the sound notification however it seems with a pin lock the screen does not wake up upon receiving the message or missed call and it does not respond to the quick glance gesture. Can you tell me if using EA as my lock screen would fix this?

Also can anyone tell me why I get the little numbers over my facebook incon but not over linkedin, messenger, gmail, or vmail?




Can you tell me if using EA as my lock screen would fix this?
cratemonster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,760
 
Device(s): Samsung GS 4, Motorola Backflip; Motorola Atrix 4G and Lapdock
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 57
Thanked 248 Times in 227 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratemonster View Post
Nice! I like the layout! I assume to swipe open any of the message previews it also prompts you for your pin?

I'm still using widgetlocker but added in Executive Assistant as as a widget to include messages, email, and missed calls. The problem I am having is that I get the sound notification however it seems with a pin lock the screen does not wake up upon receiving the message or missed call and it does not respond to the quick glance gesture. Can you tell me if using EA as my lock screen would fix this?

Also can anyone tell me why I get the little numbers over my facebook incon but not over linkedin, messenger, gmail, or vmail?




Can you tell me if using EA as my lock screen would fix this?
From the EA lock screen I can preview any of my messages by selecting them. If I want to do any actions, I can press it again to launch the app and at that point have to put in my PIN.

I don't know why the number of messages appear on Facebook and not on the other apps you mentioned. As you can see on my lock screen, my Facebook is a totally separate tab. I believe this is why it displays a number, since you can't view both tabs at the same time. On the other hand, since EA doesn't give you a number of how many new emails, messages, etc. it does list them in order by date and time received. On my EA lock screen the bottom half of the screen is scrollable and you can customize how many lines should appear in the preview and what actions happen when pressed. Hope this helps
itsallgood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

You might want to try nils notification lockscreen .
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roymam.android.notificationswidget
You can use it as a widget in widget locker. It is very customizable.
jamaica168 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 62 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Can you clarify how you have that setup? I'm not seeing how you have it show the swipe lock screen.

This is not a setup - it's an app. Search for Delayed Lock in Play and you'll see what it does.
DaveSyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
 
Device(s): Samsung S4, Nexus 7 (Original)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 130 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSyd View Post
This is not a setup - it's an app. Search for Delayed Lock in Play and you'll see what it does.
I understood that and had already downloaded the app. What I was asking was how you have it setup. How many minutes of delay in the app and how many in the normal settings of the phone.

I don't think it matters now though, because I've downloaded the location plugin and just have it setup to swipe while at my house. I had tried the network plugin, but it didn't seem to work, possibly because Android phones don't stay connected 100% of the time??? Anyway, I'm more comfortable with using location or network connection rather than just a delay, because when responding to your post I didn't realize the swipe wasn't a pattern lock.

I'm looking forward though to trying the Bluetooth plugin, because this might be exactly what I'm looking for. With my old Droid I had the car dock and could easily keep the phone from locking while driving. I've tried NFC for that, but it's somewhat of a PITA, and also a security risk if I don't undo it on the way out of the car. But if this just recognizes the BT connection, that will be perfect--automatically unlocking and then locking again as the car is turned on and off. That seems pretty secure if it works, and will eliminate having to use a pin while driving.
Goodspike is offline  
Last edited by Goodspike; September 27th, 2013 at 09:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The all-new Samsung Galaxy S4 is all but guaranteed to be the next top-selling device. The new device is dubbed the "Life Companion" due to its intuitive features. The Galaxy S4 sports a 5-inch 1080p Super AMOLED display, an awesome 13 MP... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.