Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, SGT 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Best Extended Warranties?

So since I am going to being putting a decent amount of money into my tablet, I want a good extended warranty to go with it. The big thing is obviously the accidental that will cover drops and spills. So far I have only heard of two of them, one from Best Buy and one from SquareTrade.

Best Buy with Accidental:
2 year = $249
3 year = $359

Square Trade with Accidental:
2 year = $69.99

Do you guys know of any others or recommend any of the ones that I posted? Im liking the Square Trade for the price, but any complaints or anything with them?

Last edited by monsterenergy22; June 14th, 2011 at 11:34 PM.
sponsored links
Old June 16th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterenergy22 View Post
So since I am going to being putting a decent amount of money into my tablet, I want a good extended warranty to go with it. The big thing is obviously the accidental that will cover drops and spills. So far I have only heard of two of them, one from Best Buy and one from SquareTrade.

2 year = $249
3 year = $359

Square Trade with Accidental:
2 year = $69.99

Do you guys know of any others or recommend any of the ones that I posted? Im liking the Square Trade for the price, but any complaints or anything with them?
check with your own homeowners / renters insurance agent. i added my droid X to my homeowners policy ($600 value) for about $17 per year. It covers accidents (drops, water, etc) and loss without a deductible.

I had this same insurance on my droid eris when it came out. And i dropped my eris on the garage floor and shattered the screen (ouch). I went to Best Buy, bought one out of contract for $500 and had a check from my insurance company within a week for the full $500. (all i had to do was sign a letter saying what happened - i didn't even have to mail the phone to them, so i ended up with an extra battery and charger).
The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyRayBob For This Useful Post:
Captain Brick (June 25th, 2011)
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Infuse

Be careful when listing any electronic devices or cameras etc under a homeowners policy. If you have a claim it could end up costing you a LOT more money on the yearly premiums of your entire policy. Have 2 claims and you could be put into assigned risk or possibly be dropped.
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Infuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterenergy22 View Post
2 year = $249
3 year = $359
Those prices, if correct are insane for a $500 (or $600) device. First of all the chances of you keeping the same model for 3, or even 2 years is very slim. Second, it's 1/2 or more the cost of the tablet. Total waste of money.

Square Trade is much more reasonably priced and you don't have to deal with the idiots at Best Buy.
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
Those prices, if correct are insane for a $500 (or $600) device. First of all the chances of you keeping the same model for 3, or even 2 years is very slim. Second, it's 1/2 or more the cost of the tablet. Total waste of money.

Square Trade is much more reasonably priced and you don't have to deal with the idiots at Best Buy.
I agree....in about 1 year the phone isn't even going to be worth what it was when it first came out. After a year you can go onto Ebay and buy it for 1/2 or even less than half of the cost. If you ask me don't waste your money on extended warranties.

Might also want to check your credit card, if you use it to purchase it. Alot of credit cards have built in warranties for things that you buy. One example, I don't get rental insurance when I rent cars because my credit card covers it.
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Instinct>EVO>EPIC>Note2 SGT10.1, HPTP
Carrier: Sprint

agree, one year is probably long enough. i just got one from BB and got the 1-year deal for $99. have to check into square trade.
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

I did Squaretrade with accidental for 3 yrs for $87. They have great reviews and I've seen somebody use them to replace a broken iPhone. Worked great for them with no problems.

BB seems to be ripping people off with their warranty.
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Electrify 2, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S Mesmerize, Galaxy 10.
Carrier: US Cellular

Send a message via Skype™ to LaTuFu LaTuFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
Be careful when listing any electronic devices or cameras etc under a homeowners policy. If you have a claim it could end up costing you a LOT more money on the yearly premiums of your entire policy. Have 2 claims and you could be put into assigned risk or possibly be dropped.
1 claim on a small item like that will not affect rates. 2 or 3 claims in a single year or within 12-24 months will definitely create an issue or possible cancellation.

In general, it isn't the dollar amount of the claim on homeowners policies, it is the frequency of claims that gets you in trouble.

I had a homeowners claim 5 years ago for over $30,000. The only one I had in 12 years of living in the house. My rates did not go up any more than usual.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1