Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy S4 AP:I9505XXUDMH8. Galaxy Tab SM-T800. Galaxy Tab 101 Original Three Samsung laptops
Carrier: EE

Default Galaxy S, Galaxy Tab 10 differences/advantages

Comparing using the Samsung Galaxy S and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10, it seems to me that in essence the Tab is a unit with a larger screen but without the phone facility. What does the Tab provide over and above the Galaxy S phone? Having the Galaxy S phone, what are the advantages of purchasing the Tab 10?
Probably idiotic questions to the knowledgeable.between Galaxy Tab 10 and Galaxy S

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One X (Current), HTC Inspire 4G (Retired), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 16GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Well obviously the main difference between the two are their sizes.
Each uses their respective size to its advantage.
The S2 uses its portability so the owner can have an all around great device with him/her at all times. Without needing to lug around a ten inch tablet if they don't need to.
But the advantage of the tab is its media capabilities. With the music hub and movie rentals you can stream movies almost anywhere.
That's just my take on it.
Old December 4th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE

First of all you can watch movies on a 10" screen - do not recommend ding it on a 4" screen.

Second, You get great web browsing experience.

third, the Tab replaces my laptop when I travel and go on holiday.
OT MaxDB, CD1, CD5, J5, GD96, ME45, T68i, X6, CX65, A925, E398, MPx200, X6-2, OT715, D600E, W810, M600i, BB8100, W880, N95-2, P1i, Ignito, W880, X1, MS1, MS2, TP851, XT910, GTab 10.1, SGS3, SGS4, SGNote 10.1, Nexus 7 II
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Epic 4G Touch

I have both and find myself never touching the S2 anymore if the Tab is within reach.... The only purpose of my S2 now is for phone and SMS....

The Tab has many advantages over the S2:

Screen Size
Watching Movies
Watching Youtube Videos
Watching Netflix
Internet Browsing
When used as a book or news reader
Composing and reading email
Word processing

And more but I think you get the point....

My S2 is not getting much use anymore at all... I love the S2 and its great as a mobile device but its not a Tablet replacement....

My. 02
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy S4 AP:I9505XXUDMH8. Galaxy Tab SM-T800. Galaxy Tab 101 Original Three Samsung laptops

Ragball
Thanks for that. I hope to receive my Tab tomorow or the day after. You indicate that you use the S2 for SMS, I am getting the Tab WiFi + 3G version and assume that inserting my sim card in that will give me SMS??
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunay View Post
Ragball
Thanks for that. I hope to receive my Tab tomorow or the day after. You indicate that you use the S2 for SMS, I am getting the Tab WiFi + 3G version and assume that inserting my sim card in that will give me SMS??
Yes you will be able to SMS from the Tab with the 3G version.... I have the WiFi only Tab so it's not really possible for me...

I sold my iPad to get the Tab and am very happy with my choice.... I think you will be pleased with it....

ENJOY :-) :-)
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Ragbag
Thanks again.
I f my pose another question. I am conversant with desktops, laptops and have been using these for some twenty years plus, and have the necessary firewalls, antimalware etc etc on my PC's and laptops. As it would seem that I am more likely to use the Tab more so than my laptop as a matter of convenience, so apart from prudent browsing what are the recommended anti ??? for the Tab?
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunay View Post
Ragbag
Thanks again.
I f my pose another question. I am conversant with desktops, laptops and have been using these for some twenty years plus, and have the necessary firewalls, antimalware etc etc on my PC's and laptops. As it would seem that I am more likely to use the Tab more so than my laptop as a matter of convenience, so apart from prudent browsing what are the recommended anti ??? for the Tab?
I use AVG but another good option is Lookout... Either will do the job.... :-)
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
Yes you will be able to SMS from the Tab with the 3G version.... I have the WiFi only Tab so it's not really possible for me...

I sold my iPad to get the Tab and am very happy with my choice.... I think you will be pleased with it....

ENJOY :-) :-)
Hey raqball, to be able to text from the tablet I use textab. There is a free version and a paid. It uses Bluetooth. MMS is not supported yet but the SMS works great. The only downfall is if you spent a bit texting and pick up your phone you will have 50+ new text messages to clear out.

Like you said since I bought this thing if it is nearby I hardly use my phone.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.howettl.textab&feature=search_resul t&hl=en
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, LG Shine Plus, Galaxy Tab 10.1

If you don't like having the texts sent to your phone as well, you could try Heywire. Works great, all you need is wi-fi. Takes only about 2 min to set up an account. Nothing more, just start texting. Really nice I find.
sponsored links
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S3; iPhone 5; Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1; iPad 4; Galaxy S5
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is really a laptop replacement when you are on the go. There is a whole lot of things you can do on the Tab that you cannot do on your smart phone. Citrix Receiver is a great example.

Also, if you have not downloaded Google Currents, you need to check it out. It is a fantastic news reader. Although you can get that on the smart phone, it is really not the same. When it comes to viewing, size does matter.
Old December 14th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Nexus 5 (rooted), Galaxy Tab 10.1 (rooted), Nexus 7 (stock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1022 View Post
If you don't like having the texts sent to your phone as well, you could try Heywire. Works great, all you need is wi-fi.
+1 on the Heywire remarks
It does SMS and MMS, and you can text to any number (not limited to Heywire numbers). I'm looking to completely replace the texting plan on my phone by forwarding to the Heywire account, but haven't found one that works with it yet. So far I've tried Auto SMS (didn't work at all) and SMS Forward (forwards took 5 hrs!). Both of these apps have a big fanbase, so it must be something peculiar to forwarding to a Heywire number. Next up, I plan to try biteSMS and chompSMS.
Tags
galaxy s

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1