Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By artbytes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 21st, 2012, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung GS3 Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Carrier: ATT

Default WiFi Issues after ICS Update

Is anyone else having problems with their WIFI after the ICS update? My tab seems to be losing the connection and is loading Web pages really slowly. My computer using the same WIFI isn't having any problems - just the Tab. I've found that if I turn off the WIFI, and then turn it back on again, so that a new connection is created, it perks up a bit - for awhile.

Ugh. I don't want to believe this is happening. It's very frustrating trying to get much done at times. It's just so slow to load content from the Web.

sponsored links
Old August 21st, 2012, 03:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

No problems here at all
OT MaxDB, CD1, CD5, J5, GD96, ME45, T68i, X6, CX65, A925, E398, MPx200, X6-2, OT715, D600E, W810, M600i, BB8100, W880, N95-2, P1i, Ignito, W880, X1, MS1, MS2, TP851, XT910, GTab 10.1, SGS3, SGS4, SGNote 10.1, Nexus 7 II
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Rugby Pro LTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbytes View Post
Is anyone else having problems with their WIFI after the ICS update? My tab seems to be losing the connection and is loading Web pages really slowly. My computer using the same WIFI isn't having any problems - just the Tab. I've found that if I turn off the WIFI, and then turn it back on again, so that a new connection is created, it perks up a bit - for awhile.
No problems here either, but I did a factory reset on mine to wipe it clean which may explain why there are no issues.

I'd suggest that first you 'forget' the WiFi connection on your Tab, power cycle the WiFi router, then connect to your router with your Tab again. That may fix the issue. If not, you may need to do a factory reset to clear the problem.
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfksc View Post
I'd suggest that first you 'forget' the WiFi connection on your Tab, power cycle the WiFi router, then connect to your router with your Tab again. That may fix the issue. If not, you may need to do a factory reset to clear the problem.
Thanks. I tried that. It's probably a little too early to tell, but it seems to be working better. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks. I tried that. It's probably a little too early to tell, but it seems to be working better.
Keep us posted.
Quote:
Keep your fingers crossed.
Sorry, whenever I do that for a few hours or more, my fingers get sore.
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

My wifi connection seems to be sketchy after the ICS update as well. I haven't tried a factory reset yet, but did try the "forget" option but it doesn't seem to have helped. If the factory reset does indeed solve your issues please post.
Old August 24th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510

No problems here.
I did the update from HC 3.2 to ICS again yesterday.
I had done it through Kies and everything was fine. I then rooted so as to edit a file.
I did something wrong (note to self-don't rely on 63 year old memory ) and had to wipe in recovery, etc., flashed back to HC, then did the ICS update via OTA.
I swear that my tab is even faster than it was before. It's now 3:15 pm here, and I've been
using my tab since about 10 am. Everything is running like a rocket.
Like bfksc, I do a reset when doing updates like this, so my updating yesterday involved 3 resets.
After the resets, I did not do any updating of apps, or re-installing my apps, etc.
All I do is basic setup to get the tab running. After the update to ICS on a clean install of HC, I then updated the apps installed with the OS, installed my apps, set up my home screen, etc.
Also like bfksc, I'm a firm believer in this method when doing major updates.
I really don't mind the work involved; kind of fun.
I should add that I don't store anything on my tab that's really important. Only about a dozen photos that I use for fun with Photoshop Touch and a couple of other apps. They're on my PC, so getting them back to the tab takes a minute or two.
All I can say is that I'm having no issues here. Everything is working great.
For those of you having issues, another recommendation from here to try the reset.
Make sure you backup/save anything important.
Good luck, and have fun.
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I've been traveling and had a chance to test out my tab's wifi connection on a few different networks. The good news is that I've had no wifi issues at all on any networks while traveling. The bad news is that I had problems again upon returning home. I think it's safe to say that my tab is just fine. Now I've just got to figure out why the Internet connection on my home network is so flaky. It's started to effect my laptop, too. So at least it's not an issue with ICS and my tab.
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

I flashed mine with the UK rom the week before it his the US and if anything my wifi is better. with HC i had spotty wifi at work, i could be 3' from the router and still only get 1 bar on wifi. now ias i type this i am 20' away and have 3 bars. better and faster connection overall imho
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

To help (not really, as it turns out) with the diagnostic: my TAB (GT-P7500D) on ICS OTA is just as good as it was on the original HC 3.1. (In fact mostly nearly as good / often better than 5 other devices I run, alternating on two WIFI, here. (And BTW, HSPA+ remains "right on the numbers.") 0
Full disclosure: I did a factory reset for the OTA.
sponsored links
Old October 7th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Is anyone else having problems with their WIFI after the ICS update? My tab seems to be losing the connection and is loading.
I am having the same problem with my 7510 Wi-fi tab (Canada), after the upgrade, it doesn't keep it's wi-fi connection. Everything else on our network is fine. Just the Tablet has issues, and only since the ICS upgrade. There are 5 other wireless users on our network, Mac and PCs, no one else has issues, and this was never an issue on Honeycomb.

I am running ICS on a Galaxy 3, and there is no problem there.

As mentioned,
Quote:
I've found that if I turn off the WIFI, and then turn it back on again, so that a new connection is created, it perks up a bit - for awhile.
So by habit now, the second I pick up the tablet, I disconnect and re-connect. Despite the fact that this solves my issue, I wonder if there is a fix for this?

Anyone?
Old October 19th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): PalmOS Centro just STB so I got an HTC Evo 4G and am very UNDERWHELMED by it compared to the polish

Quote:
Is anyone else having problems with their WIFI after the ICS update? My tab seems to be losing the connection. My computer using the same WIFI isn't having any problems - just the Tab. I've found that if I turn off the WIFI, and then turn it back on again, so that a new connection is created, it perks up a bit - for awhile.
I have exactly the same problem with my tab AFTER the update. i have 20 devices on my router and all work perfect. even the tab stayed online before the ICS update. nothing else has changed.
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAE51D View Post
I have exactly the same problem with my tab AFTER the update. i have 20 devices on my router and all work perfect. even the tab stayed online before the ICS update. nothing else has changed.
Did you do a factory reset after installing ICS, or just update?
Old October 19th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Also having Wifi problems after ICS update

Hey all,

I am in the exact same boat.

Pre-ICS Update = wifi worked great, no connection issues at home or other places

After ICS Update = wifi cuts in/out at home/barely works, but fine when I go to work and other places

GT-P7500R on Rogers network in Canada

HELP!
Old October 19th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): PalmOS Centro just STB so I got an HTC Evo 4G and am very UNDERWHELMED by it compared to the polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfksc View Post
Did you do a factory reset after installing ICS, or just update?
No. In fact that is something else I feel is odd with the Galaxy Tab.

I always checked for updates and it never found any. Then one day I installed that stupid Kies program for some reason, and it said there was an update (which I assumed was to Kies), and THAT is what updated my Tab! Even now I check for updates on the Tab and it always says there are none. Maybe that is true, but I would expect there are some updates here and there no?

I'm not wanting to do a factory reset if I can help it as it will mess up all my icons on my screens and widgets and all my data and basically be more of a PITA. Plus, I read in this thread or another one here that a guy tried it and it had no difference -- and that would really piss me off if I went through all that trouble for nothing.
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAE51D View Post
Even now I check for updates on the Tab and it always says there are none. Maybe that is true, but I would expect there are some updates here and there no?
Actually, no. Instead of doing several little updates here and there, Samsung incorporates all updates into one larger version update. It's easier for them since they need to overlay the OS with their own UI. And since you've updated to the latest available version, checking for an update is a waste of time since you're already updated.
Quote:
I'm not wanting to do a factory reset if I can help it as it will mess up all my icons on my screens and widgets and all my data and basically be more of a PITA. Plus, I read in this thread or another one here that a guy tried it and it had no difference -- and that would really piss me off if I went through all that trouble for nothing.
Ok...
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Wifi slowed after 4.0.4 Upgrade

Did you solve this situation ? I now have exact same situation after upgrade. Pls inform me if you fixed this. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by macowan View Post
Hey all,

I am in the exact same boat.

Pre-ICS Update = wifi worked great, no connection issues at home or other places

After ICS Update = wifi cuts in/out at home/barely works, but fine when I go to work and other places

GT-P7500R on Rogers network in Canada

HELP!
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I am continuing to have a small problem. It doesn't seem to be as bad, but maybe that's because I recognize it and deal with it quickly. Now, it's just when I haven't used it in awhile. I pick it up and can't reach an Internet site. Now I just turn the wifi off and then on. That Resets the connection with the router and all continues well until the end of my session. I never did a factory reset.
DAE51D likes this.
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

I am having a problem as well, but mine is a little different. Everytime my Galaxy Note 10.1 connects to my home wifi, it crashes the router. I can turn off wifi on the tablet and unplug/re-plug in the router and everyone in the house has no problem. As soon as I try to connect again, the router crashes and everyone loses. All worked fine until I updated the tablet a couple of days ago.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1