Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Looking for a Samsung keyboard dock

I am looking to buy the Samsung keyboard dock for my 10.1. I looked on the Samsung website and I don't see it there anymore. Is it discontinued? Also, I saw one on Amazon, but it was $150!!

Where can I still get one of these?

sponsored links
Old December 24th, 2012, 03:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Need Beer and Mustard

Device(s): LG G2, Moto G, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7, HTC Flyer
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 5,412 Times in 3,566 Posts

You can always try just using a BT keyboard with a stand. It's not as seamless, but it's much more economical. I use a Zagg Flex keyboard for my Nexus 7. Very comfortable to type on, lightweight, and the case it comes with turns into a stand for your tablet.
Old December 24th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Thanks for the info, but I picked one up today for $60.
Old December 25th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

I bought a Logitech blue tooth for both my iPad and Galaxy 10.1 note.
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): S3 4G, Note 10.1
Carrier: Telstra cos Optus sucks balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF353 View Post
Thanks for the info, but I picked one up today for $60.
A samsung one??
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus One, HTC EVO 4G, iPhone 3G

I have the Samsung keyboard dock and no longer use it. After trying to get along with it for 4-5 months I found it more frustrating than it is worth. This is due to a couple of serious problems, and overall poor design.

Problem #1: Duplicate characters. The unit frequently recognizes a keypress as 2 or 3 requests for a character instead of one. As a result I constantly need to backspace and delete the extra characters.

Problem #2: If you start your G-tab 10.1 with the dock connected, every 3rd or 4th time you turn it on it starts up the Galaxy Tab in an odd "time display" mode. I found this problem documented by other users, but have not seen a solution for it. Instead of blanking the display when it goes to sleep, the g-tab switches to displaying the current time in a large format. Buttons like Home, Back, and Options work differently in this mode. While you can get things to work, it is frustrating to use. Removing the g-tab from the dock and restarting it returns it to normal. So you will probably find that you always want to turn on the g-tab outside of the dock, and then plug it in.

Design Problem #1: special function and number keys. If you are a touch typist, you will probably grow to hate the locations of some of the special key functions such as Home, Back, and Switch Sessions. When I am typing email I often forget that some of these keys are where I expect the number keys to be.

Try hitting the "home" key by accident 2-3 times while trying to dash off an email, and you'll see what I mean. Likewise the Back key - which instantly exits the email session in the Gmail app - is easy to mistake for a number key and blows away everything I have typed.

Design Problem #2: The plastic supports on the keyboard dock stick up from the dock at a slight angle. They do not fold and cannot be removed, so it is difficult to throw it into a backpack or bag to bring along. You have to pad those supports carefully or they will either become damaged, or damage something else you've brought.

My wife bought the Logitech bluetooth keyboard for the G-tab and it is much better. I borrow hers when I need a real keyboard. It has a few key placement issues as well, but the layout is much improved over Samsung's. It lays flat and snaps over the g-tab to protect its screen. It does not throw extra characters for each keypress either. About the only drawback is that you need to remember to keep it charged. It is easy to leave turned on.

Hope yours works better than mine.

Scott C.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Razr Samsung GN 10.1 2014 Edition
Carrier: Verizon

I just bought the Logitech BT K810. Connects to 3 BT devices, lighted (4 brightness levels) 11"x5" Super thin. $100 at BB but show them the B&H price of $80 and they'll match it. I don't have a tablet yet but it connected and works flawlessly with my Dell XPS, Razr and Dell laptop. I bought it for my future tablet (once I make up my mind!)
Monica
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Yes I got the Samsung one for $60.

I haven't had much time to use it yet though. I will see how I like it and then maybe go to another one.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1