Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 24th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default I have d/l'ed 4.0 & need help

I downloaded OS 4.0 and wonder if I can expect any problems if I install it. I want my cameras and that seems to be the only problem some have encountered. I got my upgrade to 4.0 off the tablets upgrade option in SETTINGS, so I assume it is the Samsung upgrade. Would appreciate any advice.
What would the procedure be to return to the original OS I now have (Android 3.2)?
Would that very small hole to the right of the charging port be involved? . . .thanks. . .chas

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Google Nexus 5, HTC Desire S, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Send a message via Skype™ to jaypeecee

Quote:
Originally Posted by footboarder View Post
I downloaded OS 4.0 and wonder if I can expect any problems if I install it. I want my cameras and that seems to be the only problem some have encountered.
Hi there,

You need to be aware of this...

ICS battery disaster

JPC
Last edited by jaypeecee; January 24th, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Rugby Pro LTE

Quote:
I downloaded OS 4.0 and wonder if I can expect any problems if I install it. I want my cameras and that seems to be the only problem some have encountered. I got my upgrade to 4.0 off the tablets upgrade option in SETTINGS, so I assume it is the Samsung upgrade.
If your update is from the Samsung update service, then yes it should be the official ICS v4.0.4 update. This update works great and has no issues with the camera because it includes the proprietary camera drivers that CyanogenMod lacked.
Quote:
What would the procedure be to return to the original OS I now have (Android 3.2)?
You would need to either root the tablet and make a backup of the installation.

Or you can use Odin to flash v3.2 with the proper files and drivers.
Quote:
Would that very small hole to the right of the charging port be involved? . . .thanks. . .chas
Nope, that is the microphone for recording sound.

I strongly recommend doing a 'factory reset' from the Settings before updating to ICS and, then doing another factory reset after updating to ensure you get a clean setup. I have no issues with my P7500 3G model tablet with ICS...it runs great and battery life is the same as v3.2, which was good.
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I have no idea what 'root' is or how it is accomplished.
Same about 'Odin'. thanks for your reply.
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I re-downloaded the 'eBay app' (they must have improved it) and now I don't have the problem of not having choices in displaying the auction price listings. Also, the price range is working now.
. . . .still have not found the intestinal fortitude to install the Android 4.0 OS I have downloaded... all say since I got it off the Samsung site I should not lose my cameras...hopefully I will learn how to reinstall Android 3.0x then I should have a contingency plan if 4.0 is a bust.
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
. . . .still have not found the intestinal fortitude to install the Android 4.0 OS I have downloaded... all say since I got it off the Samsung site I should not lose my cameras
ICS v4.0.4 is a big improvement over HC v3.x and well worth the update. You won't lose your cameras since the drivers for the camera hardware is in the Official Samsung updates. It's only the third-party firmwares like CyanogenMod and others that have/had issues with the cameras since they didn't have access to the proprietary drivers from Samsung.
Quote:
...hopefully I will learn how to reinstall Android 3.0x then I should have a contingency plan if 4.0 is a bust.
Google for info about Odin and updating your Tab to 4.0.4. Lots of info out there about it. I used Odin myself with the European firmware to update my Canadian model and it works great.

For downgrading, you will need to unlock the bootloader and install ClockWorkMod (CWM) to be able to install lower versions or to install third-party firmware. Google and you'll find lots of info about how to unlock the bootloader and install CWM.

Just remember that if you update to ICS, I strongly recommend you do a factory reset BEFORE the update. And another factory reset AFTER the update. You can also RE-LOCK the bootloader after updating to secure your Tab firmware.
Old January 31st, 2013, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One (64 GB, Unlocked) Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Windows 8 PC
Carrier: AT&T

I have never been able to understand the rational behind a factory reset before the update. If you do a factory reset after the update, then everything will be deleted and reinstalled fresh with the 4.0.4 firmware. Whether you had a fresh 3.2 before or a used 3.2 before shouldn't make any difference, it's going to be deleted by the factory reset.

Can someone make this clear to me if I am mistaken? I didn't reset mine before installing 4.0.4, but I did after the upgrade; the tablet now runs perfectly without any evidence of any settings or issues carried forward from 3.2.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Finally got 'nuff guts to install 4.0 and it went flawlessly. I already had 3.x running the eBay app properly, so now my only area of concern is that I can't get a download of VLC for this machine. I have downloaded Android beta VLC (recommended here as the best) but all it wants to do is to connect to my desktop.
. . .My tab works fine here at home (& @ McDonalds) on WiFi but I would like a program like 'Real Player (Win)' so I can watch Utube videos and save them. So far I have had limited success doing that with my Galaxy 10.1.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach70 View Post
I have never been able to understand the rational behind a factory reset before the update. If you do a factory reset after the update, then everything will be deleted and reinstalled fresh with the 4.0.4 firmware. Whether you had a fresh 3.2 before or a used 3.2 before shouldn't make any difference, it's going to be deleted by the factory reset.
I did a reset before and after because I wanted to make sure the update process had nothing to deal with other than a clean v3.2 install. You're right that a factory reset afterwards should wipe everything, but I like to start fresh to make sure everything is wiped with the previous version, then update, then wipe again. I only do this when migrating my devices to major software updates like Froyo to Gingerbread, or Honeycomb to Ice Cream Sandwich, not small updates.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1