Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Unable to play Flash or iPlayer videos

Hi all

I recently purchased a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (Model number GT-P5110) and managed to get most things working on it however I'm not able to get flash videos or iPlayer working.

I've downloaded and installed both the iPlayer and latest version of Flash Player from Google Play (version 11).

I've tried using both the preinstalled internet browser and Dolphin (which I tried in both Android and Desktop User Agent modes) and have confirmed both javascript and add-on are enabled.

When I go to a website that is serving flash video I can generally see the initial image (which i can't do when flash isn't installed) however when I click play i tend to see an endless loading icon. Similarly when I go to iPlayer screen (through app or website) I can see the initial image of each video however when I click the triangle to play I always get an error message 'This Content Doesn't Seem To Be Working'

I have checked on the Adobe website and it says I have Flash 11 installed.

I have tried on multiple flash and iPlayer videos and other wifi networks and get the same message

Any ideas as I am think of sending it back if it can't handle Flash as it will still take a while for all sites to upgrade to HTML5

Thanks

Rev

sponsored links
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505, Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Carrier: 3 Ireland

PM me a link to a flash video that you are trying to play.

Would be interesting to see if my setup will play the flv files you mention.
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung GT-P3110

It seems that Flash player can't reproduce videos made with ON2Vp6 and Sorenson codecs. Probably the videos you are trying to view are made with those codecs.
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by revski View Post
Hi all

I recently purchased a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (Model number GT-P5110) and managed to get most things working on it however I'm not able to get flash videos or iPlayer working.

I've downloaded and installed both the iPlayer and latest version of Flash Player from Google Play (version 11).

I've tried using both the preinstalled internet browser and Dolphin (which I tried in both Android and Desktop User Agent modes) and have confirmed both javascript and add-on are enabled.

When I go to a website that is serving flash video I can generally see the initial image (which i can't do when flash isn't installed) however when I click play i tend to see an endless loading icon. Similarly when I go to iPlayer screen (through app or website) I can see the initial image of each video however when I click the triangle to play I always get an error message 'This Content Doesn't Seem To Be Working'

I have tried on multiple flash and iPlayer videos and other wifi networks and get the same message

Any ideas as I am think of sending it back if it can't handle Flash as it will still take a while for all sites to upgrade to HTML5

Thanks

Rev
Where did you download Flash from Adobe? They say it's not available for Tab 2 10.1.
Old August 30th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Device(s): Droid MAXX

Yes, where is flash available?
Old August 30th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): VZW GS3 4.0.4 Rooted, Droid Incredible (Retired) , Motorola Xoom 4.0.4 (Unrooted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB in AZ View Post
Yes, where is flash available?
Technically it's not anywhere.

Adobe have kinda pulled Flash from Google Play - and even those that have it are seemingly finding issues on updating it.

Although I have Flash installed it didn't show up as requiring and update when I checked my update status. Going in to All apps eventually got me to the player and there was the Update button.

IIRC Adobe said that only those users who'd installed Flash before a certain date would get updates (at least for a year). If you grabbed a copy afterwards and side loaded it then you'd not get any auto updates.

You might want to see what those geniuses over at XDA have been able to put together.
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

I am new here so please be nice
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by revski View Post
Hi all

Thanks

Rev
I was in the same situation a couple of days. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for my son so that he can do reading eggs on it. It has ICS and won't run the program and we almost returned it. If you are a bit adventurous, the solution is simple as we now have the reading eggs running.

I found this on a forum
[GUIDE] [HOW-TO] Install Adobe Flash Player on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean - xda-developers

Please visit the forum and read the various comments. Some even have it running on Jelly Beans

It has a list of things to do
I only did these two things on the tab

1/(NEW)Download the file. Apk of Flash Player version 11.1-111115012:Dev-Host - Adobe Flash Player 11.1-111115012.apk - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

2/(26/08 NEW)
Download the file flash_player version 11.1.115.17 :Dev-Host - install_flash_player_ics.apk - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

And the Tab notice came up saying that I wasn't allowed to download from non android market. So I went to settings and changed the settings to allow that to happen and adobe flash player was installed. Once the flash was installed, I went back to set it back to the default setting which was to block downloads from non android market.

The flash player is still working and no effect whatsoever on the tab so far.

Best of luck
Old September 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hi, could you tell me, did you installed fflash player on your tablet which uses ICS whether you upgraded your OS to Android 4.1 JB?
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 WIFI (GT-P5113)
Carrier: telus mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCterrible View Post
Hi, could you tell me, did you installed fflash player on your tablet which uses ICS whether you upgraded your OS to Android 4.1 JB?
I don't think they did upgrade...

I didn't on my tab. I removed the flash in the first link and installed the second one. flash is now working properly again on both my ics tab 2 10.1 and my jb nexus phone.
sponsored links
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fog

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelpir View Post
I was in the same situation a couple of days. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for my son so that he can do reading eggs on it. It has ICS and won't run the program and we almost returned it. If you are a bit adventurous, the solution is simple as we now have the reading eggs running.

I found this on a forum
[GUIDE] [HOW-TO] Install Adobe Flash Player on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean - xda-developers

Please visit the forum and read the various comments. Some even have it running on Jelly Beans

It has a list of things to do
I only did these two things on the tab

1/(NEW)Download the file. Apk of Flash Player version 11.1-111115012:Dev-Host - Adobe Flash Player 11.1-111115012.apk - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

2/(26/08 NEW)
Download the file flash_player version 11.1.115.17 :Dev-Host - install_flash_player_ics.apk - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

And the Tab notice came up saying that I wasn't allowed to download from non android market. So I went to settings and changed the settings to allow that to happen and adobe flash player was installed. Once the flash was installed, I went back to set it back to the default setting which was to block downloads from non android market.

The flash player is still working and no effect whatsoever on the tab so far.

Best of luck
Many thanks for this post. I had searched for quite a while to find the solution and your post put me on the right track. Cheers.
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hey folks, I've just bought a Samsung galaxy tab2 and I'm completely useless with technology!

How do I get a flash player to use? Went to the adobe site and it said it wasn't compatible with my device or something?
Old November 1st, 2012, 02:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Post #8 has the links you can use to get Flash.
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Does anyone know how to get the Flash Player to work?

Hi! I am new the this forum. I got the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 as a gift last week. I like it but I cannot get the flash player to work for the life of me.
I followed the instructions mentioned above but it still does not work. Especially on You Tube. If you know of a way to get this to work, please let me know.

Thank you much!
Old November 16th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung tablet 2 10.1 Samsung galaxy S2 phone
Carrier: Optus

Me too. I'm a week in with my new tablet 2 10.1 and cannot see any web-imbedded videos but i can hear the sounds. Have followed #8 and still no luck.
Old November 18th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks for the info in #8, worked flawlessly for me.
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

Dear Yelpir

I am so grateful to you for your posting. I too got the Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 for my son to access Reading Eggs and was bitterly disappointed that it did not have flash player on it, so couldn't do it. However I did as you instructed in 8# and it worked. It took a little time to find where to turn on the downloads from the non android market but found it in settings under security.

Many, many thanks, your a star.

Smokiefiver
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s): huawei g300

and again, many thanks
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks all for the information above - I have tonight got my flash working on my Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0). One bit I struggled with and I dont think is clear in the above is that once the flash is downloaded you have to activate it on the tab before it will work - it's not automatic. Here is the process I followed, sorry if it is repeating any of the above. Good Luck!

1. choose the internet and try a website that has flash content. Try channel 4OD in the UK (i was getting BBC iplayer to work before i installed flash so it might not be a good indicator).
On channel 4OD if you click on any video to play, if flash isnt present it should say you dont have flash or something similar.

2. you can also check to see if you have flash installed. go to

settings - applications manager - downloaded.

If Adobe Flash isn't in the list, you havent got it.

3. For this step, a forum i read says you need to do this. I dont know what it is or if you really need it but I downloaded it anyway.

go to the 'play store' icon - search for 'apk installer'

i downloaded 'graphilos studio' version (it is free & was top of the list of results)

download it.

this will now appear as a new app if you swipe through your screens

4. next go to settings - security - unknown sources, and untick this.

this allows you to download stuff from outside the app stores etc

5. go back to the internet and search for 'flash archived versions'

the top result in google should be

Archived Flash Player versions

load this page

scroll down the page until you get to the subsection

"flash player for android 4.0 archives"

i chose and clicked on the latest version & it download automatically.

6. This is the bit i struggled to find

Go back in to 'settings - storage - downloads'. In here you should now see the flash you have just downloaded. YOU need to activate it. click on it and it does it automatically.

7. Now reset your download security in 'settings - security - unknown sources'. Put the tick back in the box.

8. now choose 'settings - applications'. If all has gone well, in the list you should now see adobe flash player.

9. The final step is to test it out on the website that wasn't working before eg channel 4od and hopefully it will now work.

I hope this helps
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s):

Flash 11 is available from aptoide down the app from playstore the search in aptoide app for flash its there I just did it and now can stream in chrome etc..
sponsored links
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X CM9 for now, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5113 Stock Rooted OTA 4.1.1
Carrier: Verizon (for now)

Thumbs down Flash not supported beyond ICS

Unfortunately A-dull-be does not support Flash on ICS or newer (idiots!). It must be side loaded. Flash 11.xxx is fine for ICS or JB.

Also Flash is unsupported on Dolphin browser even if you side load it. It seems to work on Chrome and the stock browser (depending on the website) .
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s):

Why did they stop support anyway and what going to replace it/them? If its not fixed soon it going to be a major problem for droid and its sales
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:31 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X CM9 for now, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5113 Stock Rooted OTA 4.1.1
Carrier: Verizon (for now)

Its cuz of this reason:
http://mashable.com/2012/06/29/flash-in-android-4-1/

Kinda stupid but now we must rely on HTML5 for devices with 4.0.4 and up.
Tags
flash, galaxy tab 10.1, iplayer

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1