Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Angry Moving files from the tablet's main HD to the microSD card.

How do I move files from the main hard drive on my tab to my SD card?

I have put a few movies on my tab via dropbox. I opened up dropbox and in the dropdown, used the "move to SD card" button. Despite doing this, the SD card is as empty as the day I bought it, but the movie is now taking up space on the tab's primary hard drive. Unfortunately, its a microSD card, so i can't just plug it in to the computer to move stuff manually from the computer to the SD card.

I want a simple "windows explorer" type program where I can move files from one directory to another. Why don't I have this? How do I get crap onto the microSD card? How do I keep from clogging the hell out of my tablet? AND WHY ISN'T THIS SIMPLE?

(If it is simple, then I'm thrilled to be embarrassed!)

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): VZW Note 2
Carrier: VZW

Would love to know this as well.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Player 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Samsung Epic 4g Touch (Sprint Galaxy S2)
Carrier: Iwireless (Sprint)

Open the "My Files" app that comes with the tablet. On the left panel make sure the folders you want to move from and to are visible. Go to the folder with the file to be moved then do a drag and drop to the folder you want it in.

Last edited by Skull Nokker; June 23rd, 2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old July 5th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Went NUTS!

I went nuts for an entire day trying to figure out what the heck was going on with putting stuff on the "sdcard." It turns out that the powers that be are now calling the internal, built in memory "sdcard." (Even though it's NOT an sdcard!) The actual sdcard card that you buy and plug into the danged thing is now called an "extsdcard." Absolute chaos is the result, at least for me it was. I keep thinking of the Abbot & Costello "who's on first" routine. Totally maddening.
Old July 5th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Went NUTS!

I went nuts for an entire day trying to figure out what the heck was going on with putting stuff on the "sdcard." It turns out that the powers that be are now calling the internal, built in memory "sdcard." (Even though it's NOT an sdcard!) The actual sdcard card that you buy and plug into the danged thing is now called an "extsdcard." Absolute chaos is the result, at least for me it was. I keep thinking of the Abbot & Costello "who's on first" routine. Totally maddening.
Old July 18th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster65 View Post
This isn't new. Its been the standard in android for a long time. It stems back to the earliest versions of the phone based OS. Different manufacturers also call the external card different names, but as long as you remember that built in flash drive memory is always /sdcard, working out the external one is usually pretty straightforward.
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Did as suggested above and worked like a charm. However, on one video, when I attempt to move it to the external sd card, I get the message: " file operation error." Don't know why. Is there another way to get this file to my external card? I notice that there is a cut feature...is there also a paste one?
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Lenovo IdeaPad A1, Le Pan TC 970, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, KF HD 7,LG Lucid 3
Carrier: Verizon

I prefer using Astro File Manager available on the Play Store. It includes an App backup which can be set to store apps of your choice on the ext SD card. For example I don't save Google apps like Maps and Play Store. They all require some learning process.
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): SGA GT-S5830 Galaxy Tab 2.7.0 GT-P3100 Galaxy SIII GT -I9300
Carrier: IT

www.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciliegia View Post
Did as suggested above and worked like a charm. However, on one video, when I attempt to move it to the external sd card, I get the message: " file operation error." Don't know why. Is there another way to get this file to my external card? I notice that there is a cut feature...is there also a paste one?
there is a good chance that your file got corrupted while downloading from dropbox, this happens to me all the time, try downloading it again.
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

There was an additional problem: the film is HD and although it claims to have totally downloaded, at a certain point the film just stops when viewing it. Can we use HD films on this tablet?
sponsored links
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

This is my first android product/tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2), which direction should I move them? Left to right, right to left? Thanks.
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

One way to do it is to mount the external SD Card as your Internal and your internal as External using a script and Script Manager from the Play Store. It has worked wonderfully for me, as I only have the 8 GB GTab 2 and have installed many apps to it. Here is the link to the post over at XDA to do it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1961097

It will help.
Tags
micro sd, samsung galaxy tab, transfer files

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 2