Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #51 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlen View Post
That is a huge amount of memory for 1 app. Probably because the GPS program you are using uses graphics. There is an excellent vector map offline program called osmand. Maps for all over the world are available. And the data files will run on external sdcard
Hi Azlen

I have a tab 2 - 7 and have installed OSMAND but cannot convince it to use the 'external' card for data.

I've tried numerous times to alter the storage directory but locations are 'unrecognised'

Can you tell me what path you used please

eg

/mnt/extsdcard

sponsored links
Old January 19th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #52 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab 2-7.0 ICS 4.03 Rooted, Motorola Droid 1 Rooted CM7

/mnt/extSdCard is correct. In any program that will be the reference for the external card.
Old March 8th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #53 (permalink)

Device(s):

I upgraded to JB. Don't like it Iwent back to Romswellv1.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2000kw

The app2sd app doesn't work on my stock GT2 7.0. Maybe it would work on one with swapped mount points. I'm going to look into that.

BTW--just got the Jelly Bean update from Samsung last evening.

Donald
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #54 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I didn't see much of a difference with Jellybean except that I can now find Google Now in the app store (it's free). You won't be able to see it there if you're running 4.0.

If the program launcher (desktop) was any different between the previous version and Jellybean, I wouldn't know since I use Nova Launcher Pro (there is a free version, I believe) which makes it much easier to work with and find things.
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #55 (permalink)

Device(s): Tab 2 7.0,(GT3100) 3g,16 Gig int mem, JellyBean 4.1.2, 32 gig sd card. S3 mini, JB 4.1.2, 32 gig sd
Carrier: Sim free, using local telco

TXROSE72

You are absolutely right. The problem is that many people are trying to use devices like the Tab2 as a replacement for a computer which it simply is not. It is a great little device within it's limitations.
For email, keeping up with news etc, looking up general info it is great.... plus it's a phone but "not as we know it".....but a replacement for a desktop or laptop it is not.
Last edited by hkmk23; March 9th, 2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #56 (permalink)

Device(s):

True it's not a desktop computer, but simply moving apps to the external sdcard is a useful thing to have.. I really don't understand why samsung or android didn't allow for this function..
Old March 9th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #57 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Android allows for this function. Samsung doesn't. And that's my gripe. I can do it on my Toshiba Thrive but not on my Galaxy Tab 2. Samsung support said it was a hardware limitation. There is a complicated way around it, but I'm waiting for the warranty to run out before I tinker with anything in the operating system. There's a way to switch how the OS views the internal and external storage and it essentially works backwards, the internal becomes the external and vice-versa.
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #58 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default SD card states emulated

I was investigating this issue hopefully this plainly lays out for everyone that no matter what SD you have apps wont be able to go on it (with out altering programs)

thalljo: just a quick question, i actually was just on the phone and was told the MICRO SCHC cards cannot be used to expand my phones memory. What types should i get again?
Kathy: I understand that you want to know which type of SD card supports your device .Is that correct?
Jordan Thaller: yes, i understand i can store photos and music on a HDSC but i would like to verify which type i can store my apps on. I have a 12 gig and i dont want to use to much of my phones internal memory so i dont slow its performance
thallejo: SDHC*
Kathy: Thank you for information.
Kathy: May I know model number of your device? Please tap on Applications>>Settings>>About phone. Model number generally starts with SGH, SCH or SPH .
thallejo: SGH 999
Kathy: Thank you for model number.
Kathy: I would like to inform you that there is no option to store applications on SD card of the device as the applications take default phone memory.
Jordan Thaller: so there is no type of SD card i can use to keep my apps and the cache data from them on?
Kathy: I'm sorry to inform you that unfortunately there is no SD card on which you can store applications of the device.
Jordan Thaller: understood, so is there a way i can send in my phone to have its internal memory upgraded?
Kathy: I'm sorry to inform you that there is no option to upgrade the internal memory of the device. However, you can increase the external memory of the device by installing an SD card where you can store your music and pictures.
thallejo: ok thank you i just wanted to verify all of this before i went out and spent my money on something i couldnt use. You were very helpful
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #59 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what is the motivation to move your apps to the external card on the Tab. With as much internal memory as there is, it seems there is plenty of space for the apps internally, if you put your images, music, and videos on the External card. I have a huge number of apps and am not seeing any problems..
I have a Tab 2, with 8 GB of internal and a 32 GB SD card. I am not a gamer, but I *love* some large apps (for example iBird Pro for Birding that uses 640 MB). My Tab 2 is constantly giving me the error "insufficient Storage" for app updates and installs. But it also says there is 527 MB available on the internal memory. Mostly Apps take up now 3.37 GB, with Misc. Files taking up 3.97 GB. I keep pictures to a minimum at 237 MB. It is running Android 4.1.2. I am convinced that the memory management of Android is poorly designed. I have heard rumors that the internal call to fstrim in Android 4.1.3 would perhaps "fix" this memory issue?

But moving apps to the SD card might indeed solve my memory error problems. Debating to myself how to address this severe usability issue for my otherwise great device.
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #60 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory, LG Optimus V, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 SE (GT-P3113) 4.1.1, A600(USB)
Carrier: Virgin Mobile, Cricket

3.97 GB sounds high for Misc Files; have you looked to see what they are?
sponsored links
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #61 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Grand i9082 ver 4.2.2 & Nexus 7 (WiFi Only 32GB) ver 4.3

I have yet to try this but it could help Here's how you can move application data from internal storage to SD card and make space for more apps on a Samsung Galaxy Tab/Note device.
THOSE WHO MIND, DON'T MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER, DON'T MIND !! And remember to click on the 'Thanks' if you feel an answer helped you solve your problem so that others can be guided to the right post to solve theirs too.
The Following User Says Thank You to socrates0 For This Useful Post:
t2000kw (August 15th, 2013)
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #62 (permalink)

Device(s):

Apps to SD is on JB4.2, finally
Old August 26th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #63 (permalink)

Device(s):

Latest update allows moving apps to sd.
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #64 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 12,589 Times in 7,753 Posts

Droid Sail is available in the PlayStore here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidsail.dsapp2sd

or to support the dev, the paid version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidsail.dsapp2sdpro

Lets stay away from download sites that advocate app piracy. We like to support our devs and their efforts in the apps they develop.

Thread cleaned
socrates0 likes this.

Click "Show" for my signature
Android Forums FAQ's
List of Staff
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikestony For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (August 30th, 2013)
Old August 30th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #65 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Grand i9082 ver 4.2.2 & Nexus 7 (WiFi Only 32GB) ver 4.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepit View Post
Latest update allows moving apps to sd.

That's strange, I dont see that option on my Tab
Last edited by socrates0; August 30th, 2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old August 30th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestony View Post
Droid Sail is available in the PlayStore here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidsail.dsapp2sd

or to support the dev, the paid version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidsail.dsapp2sdpro

Lets stay away from download sites that advocate app piracy. We like to support our devs and their efforts in the apps they develop.

Thread cleaned
Both are for rooted devices Any app which could do the same w/o rooting?
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #67 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Coby Kyros now dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates0 View Post
That's strange, I dont see that option on my Tab
What Android do you have? The Move-to-SD card is available in 4.2.2
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #68 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Moving apps to extsdcard

Look, I have limited knowledge but here is what I've done under 4.2.2 -
Go to "Settings" then "Storage" then choose the "Used Space" and then the selection "Applications" for a list of your Apps. You can then go to each app and move it to the external "sdcard" or the "device storage" IF the action is allowed - Some apps may not be moved (may be if you un-installed then re-installed to the extsdcard but I did not try any that way).

On a somewhat separate issue - Cashed Data - my Tab says I have about 800mb in Cashed Data - what are the issues if I clear this area to gain memory? Just loss of app settings? ID data like sign-in name?
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #69 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Lenovo IdeaPad A1, Le Pan TC 970, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, KF HD 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates0 View Post
Both are for rooted devices Any app which could do the same w/o rooting?
Sorry there is no app which allows apps to be moved to the Micro SD card for 4.1.1 and earlier non-rooted versions. 4.2.2 has added "Move to SD card" which moves a portion of the app and data to the Micro SD card if the app was written to allow such action. You go to setttings/application manager/On SD CARD (at top of app list). A checkmark in the box on the right side is present if the app has been moved to the SD CARD. To move an app which doesn't have a checkmark in its box tap the app name and on the next screen tap Move to SD card. Another method to perform the same action is described above which shows the size of the app which is useful but doesn't show if the app has been moved.
Last edited by txrose72; August 30th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
What Android do you have? The Move-to-SD card is available in 4.2.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrose72 View Post
Sorry there is no app which allows apps to be moved to the Micro SD card for 4.1.1 and earlier non-rooted versions. 4.2.2 has added "Move to SD card" which moves a portion of the app and data to the Micro SD card if the app was written to allow such action. You go to setttings/application manager/On SD CARD (at top of app list). A checkmark in the box on the right side is present if the app has been moved to the SD CARD. To move an app which doesn't have a checkmark in its box tap the app name and on the next screen tap Move to SD card. Another method to perform the same action is described above which shows the size of the app which is useful but doesn't show if the app has been moved.

O I checked the ver no. & I find its 4.1.2 the next ver has not yet come to India Now I know why I cant find that option. Thanks guys for your inputs, This device is used by my bro & I don't use it that much. I remember he had mentioned of updating it so I automatically assumed it was the latest ver.
sponsored links
Old September 20th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #71 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what is the motivation to move your apps to the external card on the Tab. With as much internal memory as there is, it seems there is plenty of space for the apps internally, if you put your images, music, and videos on the External card. I have a huge number of apps and am not seeing any problems.

When I had earlier Android devices with much less space for apps, I saw the advantage, but with all of the internal memory and the fact that apps WILL run faster on this memory, I'm at a loss of understanding.

Thanks.
Samsung has seen fit to load tons of little used ridiculous google programs on their tablets, taking up big blocks of space. They can't be removed, at least not by a normal user like myself. Only data not programs can be moved. I'm thinking Apple right about now.
Old September 21st, 2013, 11:19 AM   #72 (permalink)

Device(s):

hello,i also owned a samsung galaxy tab 2 p3100,i used to download music and when i tried to move it to extSDcard, there is no "move "options...is there any chance to move it from internal to external particularly the music or videos?
Old September 22nd, 2013, 12:07 AM   #73 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Lenovo IdeaPad A1, Le Pan TC 970, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, KF HD 7

You don't use the "Move to SD" function of the tablet to move media to the Ext SD Card. You use a file manager like Astro or ES file Explorer to move media files just like on a PC. You may have to add a Music or Video Folder to the ext SD card. The player should be able to find the file.
Tags
galaxy tab 2 7.0, ice cream sandwich, ics, sd card

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 2