Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Accuweather Widget

I have both the 7.0 and the 10.1 versions of the Tab 2. The 10.1 didn't have a weather widget on the home screen, but the 7.0 does. I have searched Google Play, but the stock one doesn't seem to be available. I would like to have the same widget on both devices because it has a dual zone clock and weather. The reason I want this one is that I am in the UK and I have family in California, and it takes the brain work out of the time difference.

If anyone knows of a way to copy the 7.0 widget on to the 10.1, I would be extremely grateful.

Both devices are on Android 4.1.1

Barberry is offline  
Last edited by Barberry; January 20th, 2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Added OS info
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=
 
Frisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,492
 
Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7,156
Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barberry View Post
I have both the 7.0 and the 10.1 versions of the Tab 2. The 10.1 didn't have a weather widget on the home screen, but the 7.0 does. I have searched Google Play, but the stock one doesn't seem to be available. I would like to have the same widget on both devices because it has a dual zone clock and weather. The reason I want this one is that I am in the UK and I have family in California, and it takes the brain work out of the time difference.

If anyone knows of a way to copy the 7.0 widget on to the 10.1, I would be extremely grateful.

Both devices are on Android 4.1.1
Welcome to the forums!

Are you saying that you can't go to the "my apps" selection in the Play menu and download/install the widget from that list?
__________________



Frisco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Emotionless Ogre
 
jwither's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Underground
Posts: 615
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113, Sony Google TV, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nextbook 7.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 57
Thanked 146 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barberry View Post
I have both the 7.0 and the 10.1 versions of the Tab 2. The 10.1 didn't have a weather widget on the home screen, but the 7.0 does. I have searched Google Play, but the stock one doesn't seem to be available. I would like to have the same widget on both devices because it has a dual zone clock and weather. The reason I want this one is that I am in the UK and I have family in California, and it takes the brain work out of the time difference.

If anyone knows of a way to copy the 7.0 widget on to the 10.1, I would be extremely grateful.

Both devices are on Android 4.1.1
Using your favorite file manager (I use File Manager HD), you can copy AccuweatherDaemon.apk from the system/app folder to your other tab. This is only theoretical, as I do not have another tab to test it on.

If it needs other files in order to run, unless you figure out what those files might be, it won't work.

.apk files are install packages, so once you've copied it to the other tab, use the file manager to run/install it.
jwither is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwither For This Useful Post:
Barberry (January 22nd, 2013)
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

There are two files in system/app, AccuweatherDaemon.apk and AccuweatherDaemon.odex. They both have -r- permissions, which I presume means root. I copied them to the SD card, but it won't install from there. I suspect it needs to be in the system/app file, where all the other .apk files appear to reside.

Thanks for your suggestion, which, it appears, may well work, but I don't feel comfortable rooting a brand new device for fear of bricking it.
Barberry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Are you saying that you can't go to the "my apps" selection in the Play menu and download/install the widget from that list?
Thanks for the welcome

The specific app that I want isn't available in Play
Barberry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Emotionless Ogre
 
jwither's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Underground
Posts: 615
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113, Sony Google TV, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nextbook 7.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 57
Thanked 146 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barberry View Post
There are two files in system/app, AccuweatherDaemon.apk and AccuweatherDaemon.odex. They both have -r- permissions, which I presume means root. I copied them to the SD card, but it won't install from there. I suspect it needs to be in the system/app file, where all the other .apk files appear to reside.

Thanks for your suggestion, which, it appears, may well work, but I don't feel comfortable rooting a brand new device for fear of bricking it.
The -r- means "read only", in other words, you can't edit and then save the file, but you can run it or copy it. If you see a "d" that means it's a directory (or Folder in today's terms), and "w" means it's writable. There shouldn't be any root requirement for this, so if they don't run, it's something else. Did you enable unknown sources (non google play) in Settings, Security, Unknown Sources?
jwither is offline  
Last edited by jwither; January 23rd, 2013 at 08:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.