Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 24th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Need Help regarding 'Proc' folder

Hi Guys!

I have an unrooted Galaxy Tab 2 P310 which i updated to 4.1.2 jellybean OTA. Recently I factory reset my tab and noticed I had almost 11 gb available of the total 11.77gb. Now a week later I see my available storage is just 6.51gb. I havent installed any games at all and my pictures and music are on the external sdcard. When browsing through my file manager I noticed there is a 'proc' folder in root directory which is 5.4gb. Can anyone please explain what this folder is and if it can be cleaned up a bit or what. Im afraid it will keep growing and eat up all my internal memory !! The only apps on my tablet are kik messenger, whatsapp and Androzip zip manager and App Cache cleaner

Thanks

sponsored links
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Optimus G, Samsung Replenish, Nexus 7 (2013)
Carrier: Sprint

I have the P3113, but I have an idea that might help you identify the culprit...

If you go into settings and look at "Data usage" what does it show as the top storage user?
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Emotionless Ogre

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113, Sony Google TV, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nextbook 7.
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton83 View Post
Hi Guys!

I have an unrooted Galaxy Tab 2 P310 which i updated to 4.1.2 jellybean OTA. Recently I factory reset my tab and noticed I had almost 11 gb available of the total 11.77gb. Now a week later I see my available storage is just 6.51gb. I havent installed any games at all and my pictures and music are on the external sdcard. When browsing through my file manager I noticed there is a 'proc' folder in root directory which is 5.4gb. Can anyone please explain what this folder is and if it can be cleaned up a bit or what. Im afraid it will keep growing and eat up all my internal memory !! The only apps on my tablet are kik messenger, whatsapp and Androzip zip manager and App Cache cleaner

Thanks
If you google Android proc folder, you'll find a ton of information about it. It represents all the processes running on your tab, and no, it's not a good idea to try deleting any of those files. Instead, look for running processes associated with apps that you may not need, then uninstall or disable them.
Last edited by jwither; May 24th, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
I have the P3113, but I have an idea that might help you identify the culprit...

If you go into settings and look at "Data usage" what does it show as the top storage user?
hmm top shows 'you tube' at 20.mb of data usage..but isnt that for checking 3g or wifi usage? I'd assume that is for checking one's monthly internet usage. Doubt that would consume 5 gb bro
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Emotionless Ogre

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113, Sony Google TV, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nextbook 7.
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton83 View Post
hmm top shows 'you tube' at 20.mb of data usage..but isnt that for checking 3g or wifi usage? I'd assume that is for checking one's monthly internet usage. Doubt that would consume 5 gb bro
That's correct, "Data usage" is the amount of network traffic throughput in the selected period. It does not represent storage space used.
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Optimus G, Samsung Replenish, Nexus 7 (2013)
Carrier: Sprint

My mistake...
Old October 14th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

so did we ever find out about this proc folder? I have the same issue, tho on a smaller scale, and on my galaxy s2, but I'm here because I'm not finding much info on this particular "proc" folder problem on the internet. mine is approaching 1g, and my entire internal storage is 2g, and I've already wiped my phone to scratch and all, and again, within a week, or installation of a few apps it seems this "proc" folder is congesting and I'm getting the "insufficient storage" message.
Old October 14th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): GT-I9505, SM-T310, GT-I8160, GT-P3110, Palm Pre

If you don't have root.
As a temporary solution you can always install clean master from the play store to clean the unnecessary junk from the memory of the tab...

But you really should look into the third party apps that you have installed as very likely some of them are storing some serious junk data in the memory.
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

The proc folder actually resides in a ram disk created by the Linux kernel. You are correct when you say that all the processes reside there. There's allot of swapping going on t in there. It also contains all the information about your hardware. If you're rooted and have a terminal you can type something like 'cat /proc/memimfo' without the quotes and out Will display the comments of that file which will tell you how much memory you have and what memory addresses are in use etc... hope this helps. Don't mess with this directory. Anything you delete Will be recreated upon the next reboot if it lets you mess with the file at all.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 2