Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 22nd, 2012, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tablet 8.9
Carrier: AT&T

Post Can't see menu, bookmarks, etc at top of internet page

I just got a new Samsung Galaxy Tablet 8.9 last week and I'm sure I will love it--AFTER I get everything figured out. My one big problem right now is that when I go to the internet, there are no menus, forward/backward arrows, bookmarks, etc. like on a traditional computer. Did mine just get lost or off the screen, and if so, how do I get it back??? Is there a different way of navigating on a tablet??? I get the button at the bottom left that is like an undo button which goes back a page, but if I want to open a new tab, go back and forth, save a page as a bookmark, etc., I'm lost. Also, how do you save a photo or object on a tablet??? On my computer, I would right click, save as... But I don't see function keys/buttons anywhere and am lost.

I got this tablet with the purpose of doing all my internet surfing, email, etc. on it and discontinuing my landline DSL. But I have to be able to save photos, pages, etc. so I can get them over to my regular laptop.

I tried putting Google Chrome on it and I don't think it worked, so maybe I need to restore the internet or something, but if so, how???

Also, can I use my laptop via wireless connection through the internet on the tablet??? That would be one easy way of solving it when I need to save something. But I still want to be able to save on the tablet for future use.

Last edited by joyandme; July 22nd, 2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: clarification
sponsored links
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500, Google Nexus 7 16GB Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos
Carrier: CellCard & Metfone

Thanked 1,128 Times in 564 Posts

Welcome to Android Forums!

Yes, my tablet has all but replaced my poor, dusty laptop. It's just so much more convenient to handle and read!

My favorite browser for it is Dolphin HD and it's a fully-featured browser that saves images and attachments fine. Check it out at Google's Play Store.

You can share your tab let's 3G internet connection with the laptop by finding the wifi hotspotand tethering settings under Settings > Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot. Hope that helps!

Please don't send me PMs with support questions. That's what the forum is for
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Post Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
Welcome to Android Forums!

Yes, my tablet has all but replaced my poor, dusty laptop. It's just so much more convenient to handle and read!

My favorite browser for it is Dolphin HD and it's a fully-featured browser that saves images and attachments fine. Check it out at Google's Play Store.

You can share your tab let's 3G internet connection with the laptop by finding the wifi hotspotand tethering settings under Settings > Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot. Hope that helps!
Love the Dolphin! Thanks for recommendation!

On settings...is that on my laptop? I hope i can get that working because i download daily podcasts from itunes and save to my Sansa Clip to listen with earphones at work and if I'm understanding right, it looks like i can't get itunes on tablet.

There's just some things I'd rather do directly with my laptop. I have a couple other questions but I'll start a new thread so as not to jumble this one up. Thanks again.
Old July 28th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500, Google Nexus 7 16GB Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos
Carrier: CellCard & Metfone

Thanked 1,128 Times in 564 Posts

Nope, that's settings in the tablet to turn it into a wireless router sharing it's 3G internet with your laptop and other devices with wifi capability. It's a great feature built into most Android devices.
Old July 28th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
Nope, that's settings in the tablet to turn it into a wireless router sharing it's 3G internet with your laptop and other devices with wifi capability. It's a great feature built into most Android devices.
That's what I thought, but I don't have the "Tethering & portable hotspot" option when I go to "Settings > Wireless & networks >". My only choices are:
Airplane mode
Wi-Fi (where at the moment I am connected to my landline DSL)
Wi-Fi settings
Wi-Fi Direct Settings
Kies via Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
Bluetooth settings
VPN settings
Mobile networks.

I looked through all my settings and I do not have "Tethering". I'm wondering if AT&T disabled it or took it out of their version of the Galaxy 8.9
Tags
internet, menu, save content, save files

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9