January 17th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pursat, Cambodia
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9,
Samsung Galaxy S III,
Google Nexus 7 16GB
Samsung Galaxy S III Mini
Carrier: CellCard & Metfone
Thanked 1,035 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesb6789
1) Would you buy a used 8.9 with 16gb 3G or a 16gb Nexus 7 (non-3G) today if they were the same price?
2) How fast is ICS on this tab and does it run Skype video etc OK?
3) Is there a stable Jelly Bean version and is it easy for a newbie to install?
Thanks in advance!
1) If I didn't need 3G or want the bigger screen, I'd definitely go with the Nexus because of its superior software. And I know both devices well because I have the 8.9 and my wife the N7.
2) ICS is pretty good on the 8.9 but falls well short of vanilla JB on the N7. Skype is fine even on the old Honeycomb ROM.
3) Installing custom ROMs is easy on the 8.9. Make absolutely certain that you do a nandroid backup before you do. As far as options and stability, read the two threads below:
Don't just say thanks, click Thanks
To report abusive posts, porn or spam, click Report
Android Forums Site Rules/Guidelines
Please don't send me PMs with support questions. That's what the forum is for
Last edited by CafeKampuchia; January 17th, 2013 at 08:55 AM.