Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lekky

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 13th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lover
Thread Author (OP)
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default Best Browser For the Tab

So I checked out all of the popular browsers, and one really stood head and shoulders above the rest on my tab. Opera mobile Miren works really well, definitely give it a shot if you have one of these
TheLoxmyth likes this.

Advertisements
lekky is offline  
Last edited by lekky; January 10th, 2011 at 05:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 13th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tech Addiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): hTC ThunderBolt VZW, Droid Incredible VZW, Samsung Tab T-Mob, Moto Xoom VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 160
Thanked 136 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Have you tried Sky Fire?

Edit: I just tried Opera Mobile and went to Engadget.com and even though I took off the mobile view in settings, it still loaded it in mobile view. Sky Fire loads in full web view.
Tech Addiction is offline  
Last edited by Tech Addiction; November 13th, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lover
Thread Author (OP)
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default

skyfire, uc browser, dolphin and stock. Never been a fan of xscope.
lekky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tech Addiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): hTC ThunderBolt VZW, Droid Incredible VZW, Samsung Tab T-Mob, Moto Xoom VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 160
Thanked 136 Times in 101 Posts
Default

I just hate mobile views of web sites. I know it could probably be Engadget causing this but even my Incredible loads Engadget in Desktop view. Sky Fire is the only one that loads it in Desktop mode that I have found. Itried Opera Mini as well and neither will open Engadget in Full mode. Engadget is where I found the news on the Samsung Tab so I'm a big fan.
Tech Addiction is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lover
Thread Author (OP)
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Addiction View Post
I just hate mobile views of web sites. I know it could probably be Engadget causing this but even my Incredible loads Engadget in Desktop view. Sky Fire is the only one that loads it in Desktop mode that I have found. Itried Opera Mini as well and neither will open Engadget in Full mode. Engadget is where I found the news on the Samsung Tab so I'm a big fan.
Opera mini is a bad browser, opera mobile is fantastic. If you use this link, it will give you full engadget on any browser: http://www.engadget.com/?m=false
lekky is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lekky For This Useful Post:
Longanoid (June 18th, 2011), Pippa (August 29th, 2011), Tech Addiction (November 13th, 2010)
Old November 13th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tech Addiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): hTC ThunderBolt VZW, Droid Incredible VZW, Samsung Tab T-Mob, Moto Xoom VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 160
Thanked 136 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Actually, I just downloaded Dolphin Browser and really like it. All the pages load in Desktop after changing setting, and It looks like a real desktop browser with tabs at the top and all. You can download themes in various colors. Thanks for the tip too.
Tech Addiction is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lover
Thread Author (OP)
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default

Just noticed the only issue with opera atm is no flash, dolphin is good too tho
lekky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tech Addiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): hTC ThunderBolt VZW, Droid Incredible VZW, Samsung Tab T-Mob, Moto Xoom VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 160
Thanked 136 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekky View Post
Just noticed the only issue with opera atm is no flash, dolphin is good too tho

My favorite feature is swiping to the sides to get to Bookmarks and Settings. By far my favorite browser now. I also put Dolphin on my Incredible.
Tech Addiction is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 234
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 28 Posts
Default

What about MIUI browser?
ConceptVBS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Superuser
 
Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,635
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Sensation 4G, Nexus S, Droid X, XOOM 4G, Touchpad
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 134
Thanked 2,145 Times in 699 Posts
Default

Another vote here for Dolphin HD. I put my agent to Desktop and have had no issues so far.
__________________
Overclocked Rooted Droid X with ApeX


Fabolous is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Afront's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Posts: 77
 
Device(s): Transformer Prime, Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Yep, Dolphin is the browser with porpoise...
__________________
Pansentient League | @afront on Twitter
Afront is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tech Addiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): hTC ThunderBolt VZW, Droid Incredible VZW, Samsung Tab T-Mob, Moto Xoom VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 160
Thanked 136 Times in 101 Posts
Default

I noticed something wierd though. The VZW version with Dolphin opened NY Times in desktop mode but the T Mob version I have keeps opening it in Mobile. The trick above didn't work either. Any other tricks I could try? All other sites are fine. And yes I checked desktop for setting.
Tech Addiction is offline  
Last edited by Tech Addiction; November 14th, 2010 at 07:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Addiction View Post
I noticed something wierd though. The VZW version with Dolphin opened NY Times in desktop mode but the T Mob version I have keeps opening it in Mobile. The trick above didn't work either. Any other tricks I could try? All other sites are fine. And yes I checked desktop for setting.
Sites frequently use cookies to store which "version" you're one, but clearing cookies doesn't seem to fix it either. It might be some sort of server-side storage based on your IP address, but even that seems a little odd.
jasonaward is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonaward For This Useful Post:
Tech Addiction (November 15th, 2010)
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonaward View Post
Sites frequently use cookies to store which "version" you're one, but clearing cookies doesn't seem to fix it either. It might be some sort of server-side storage based on your IP address, but even that seems a little odd.
As a follow-up... if you check the headers being sent by the browser (either Dolphin HD or the default web browser, even if set to "desktop" mode), you'll find an HTTP_X_WAP_PROFILE being sent. I'm not sure if this is being sent by the mobile device itself, or something that T-Mobile is attaching as it goes through their gateway (my guess is the later). Sites will frequently use this string as a secondary check to see if you're visiting from a mobile device.
jasonaward is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonaward For This Useful Post:
Tech Addiction (November 15th, 2010)
Old November 15th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tech Addiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): hTC ThunderBolt VZW, Droid Incredible VZW, Samsung Tab T-Mob, Moto Xoom VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 160
Thanked 136 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonaward View Post
As a follow-up... if you check the headers being sent by the browser (either Dolphin HD or the default web browser, even if set to "desktop" mode), you'll find an HTTP_X_WAP_PROFILE being sent. I'm not sure if this is being sent by the mobile device itself, or something that T-Mobile is attaching as it goes through their gateway (my guess is the later). Sites will frequently use this string as a secondary check to see if you're visiting from a mobile device.
I searched and saw where EVO owners were complaining about the stock browser not working with NY Times either but Dolphin HD worked for them. For what ever reason the T-Mob server must be sending something that NY Times is showing as a mobile device like you said above. I think I read where it's called Spoofing. It would be nice to find a string to add to the short cut to force Desktop.
Tech Addiction is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lover
Thread Author (OP)
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default

Apparently the latest firmware update fixes this issue on the default browser so that they show in desktop mode.
lekky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tech Addiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): hTC ThunderBolt VZW, Droid Incredible VZW, Samsung Tab T-Mob, Moto Xoom VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 160
Thanked 136 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekky View Post
Apparently the latest firmware update fixes this issue on the default browser so that they show in desktop mode.
How do you update the firmware on this device? Is this different then an OTA?

Edit.. Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks.

Okay, I clicked on Keis but it makes a sound on my PC and then doesn't do anything. Is this update for a different model? Is there a trick to getting Keis to work? I shut down all programs through Task Manager.
Tech Addiction is offline  
Last edited by Tech Addiction; November 15th, 2010 at 06:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I know Sprint had an OTA update for their model, but I haven't seen anything about a T-Mo update. Maybe I missed something?
jasonaward is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonaward For This Useful Post:
Tech Addiction (November 16th, 2010)
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 523
 
Device(s): Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 70
Thanked 155 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Another vote for Dolphin HD.... It ROCKS
raqball is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: KY
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx sporting the bonic lapdock after slight Mods. Rooted and running ICS Thunderbolt rooted S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Dolphin is the bomb.
I have an issue where the stock browser locks up my tab everytime, any idea why running a stock vzw. Branded tab.
BaadAndy is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rushmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,812
 
Device(s): S4, iPad Air, Note 2014 10.1, Dell V11 5130, Nvidia Shield. Yes- too many devices.
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 403
Thanked 1,379 Times in 968 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Addiction View Post
I searched and saw where EVO owners were complaining about the stock browser not working with NY Times either but Dolphin HD worked for them. For what ever reason the T-Mob server must be sending something that NY Times is showing as a mobile device like you said above. I think I read where it's called Spoofing. It would be nice to find a string to add to the short cut to force Desktop.
NY Times?? Well, that could be the problem- the sensor's orientation could be grossly favoring the left Rimshot!
rushmore is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rushmore For This Useful Post:
claret (January 6th, 2011)
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 42
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

The stock browser is overall the best and most compatible that I have found, but it can be slow and buggy. Opera Mobile is the best for quick and speedy browsing (Mini is nice, but Mobile basically has Mini's ability to do server side compression built in as an option, rendering Mini useless). Dolphin HD is nice due to it's extensive add-ons and customizability (Dolphin Mini seems nice, but Opera Mobile trumps it I think). I have all 3 installed, and use them for different things depending on the situation.

Skyfire is nice but the combination of Stock, Opera Mobile, and Dolphin HD really make it.....pointless.
SoupAssassin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 09:15 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 360
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Default

loving Dolphin mini now. just installed and i think its super fast
sillyrabbitt123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 10:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default nytimes with dolphin hd update

how do i keep my htc evo 4g from going to nytimes mobile site.
Background: Ive been using my sprint phone to visit non mobile version of nytimes for over 5 months . I updated dolphin hd yesterday and now no matter if i clear everything, reset phone, reinstalled dolphin, it keeps redirecting me to mobile site. **** My wife has same phone, same plan, and it is not re-directing her. Is this something sprint does randomly?
if i use opera it goes to nytimes full site. why cant my dolphin get full site anymore?
mikefish is offline  
Last edited by mikefish; January 1st, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 03:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 53
 
Device(s): Droid X Samsung Galaxy Tab (T-Mobile)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I have a Droid X and a Samsung Galaxy Tab (T-Mobile). Both have Dolphin HD as the default browser. I'm at home and both are running WiFi through my Time-Warner cable broadband. I just checked and the Droid X gets the desktop version of NYTimes but the Tab gets the mobile version. I don't think it's anything to do with T-Mobile sending any codes since I'm running WiFi. Nothing I tried worked for getting the desktop version on my Tab. All other websites I visit with the Tab load with the desktop version.

One additional thing....even if I switch to "Android" mode on my Droid X it still loads NYTimes in desktop mode. I can't get it to load the mobile version.....go figure....

This is indeed a mystery.....

Ken
Guitar4him is offline  
Last edited by Guitar4him; December 31st, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guitar4him For This Useful Post:
mikefish (January 1st, 2011)
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 710
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II, Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 50
Thanked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Default

I'm using Miren browser right now. I go to lots of forums, and the ability to go back to the previous page without having to reload like Dolphin saves me a ton of time.
Cobravision is offline  
Last edited by Cobravision; January 1st, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Opera unveils touch browser for tablet

Opera unveils touch browser for tablet and netbook PCs
vigin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Beards's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chesterfield UK
Posts: 1,028
 
Device(s): Current: Sony Z1, iPad Air 128GB Recent: SGS4, SGS3, SGN 10.1, iPad4 64GB.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 43
Thanked 375 Times in 210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
I'm using Miren browser right now. I go to lots of forums, and the ability to go back to the previous page without having to reload like Dolphin saves me a ton of time.
Why don't you just create a New Tab, then when you have finished and want to get back simply close the tab and click back on the tab you originally came from.

I operate Dolphin HD with many Tabs open doing it this way.
__________________
.........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.
P.S. Many thanks for the Thanks votes. Thanks received are converted into a charitable donation.
Beards is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 710
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II, Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 50
Thanked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Because Dolphin is very slow in rendering the pages completely, I end up pressing the wrong links. Besides, why bother opening the pages in other tabs when I don't have to?

Dolphin does other squirrelly stuff like not reacting to a press and hanging for a while until loading it.

Dolphin hasn't been the same since the froyo upgrade.
Cobravision is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Beards's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chesterfield UK
Posts: 1,028
 
Device(s): Current: Sony Z1, iPad Air 128GB Recent: SGS4, SGS3, SGN 10.1, iPad4 64GB.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 43
Thanked 375 Times in 210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
Because Dolphin is very slow in rendering the pages completely, I end up pressing the wrong links.

Dolphin does other squirrelly stuff like not reacting to a press and hanging for a while until loading it.

Dolphin hasn't been the same since the froyo upgrade.
Then I guess we must both be using different versions of the Tab's ROM as on mine Dolphin has no issues in opening new tabs. I take it you have it set to 'On-Demand' for additional content?

Quote:
why bother opening the pages in other tabs when I don't have to?
We must also have different uses to Dolphin. You clearly are against using additional tabs as I note from what you mention above.

The simple answer to this for me is I like to have one page as the static master from which I then build an outward list of new pages created on new tabs. This way I often end up with several pages open available to look at by a simple click on the tab bar.
I can then much more quicker switch between tabs rather than having to use one single page as the prime for going to a new page then backward followed by 'click', reload new page and backwards again etc. etc. One solitary page makes it so difficult to navigate, especially if you are compiling a list of information displayed on several pages.
Beards is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #31 (permalink)
Lover
Thread Author (OP)
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default

ignore my first post, Miren browser is the one for me.
lekky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 710
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II, Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 50
Thanked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards View Post
Then I guess we must both be using different versions of the Tab's ROM as on mine Dolphin has no issues in opening new tabs. I take it you have it set to 'On-Demand' for additional content?
Mine's the Sprint one. I assume yours is as well. And it's set to on-demand. But the same issues that led me to dropping Dolphin HD on my Evo are all there on the SGT. It's slow to load pages completely and worst of all, if you press on a link as it's loading, it won't respond until the page completely loads, at which point after the page is formatted (which itself is slow), the area where I pressed the link is now a different link and it goes somewhere else. So I go back, but Dolphin has already dumped that page so I have to reload it for the link. It's just so frustratingly slow that I had to ditch Dolphin. It did not do this before froyo -- I loved Dolphin on 2.1. I don't have the patience for it now.

Oh, and the other frustrating issue with Dolphin is that it frequently does not give me feedback that it's doing anything after pressing link. I have no idea if it's loading the link or if it's just hanging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards View Post
We must also have different uses to Dolphin. You clearly are against using additional tabs as I note from what you mention above.

I can then much more quicker switch between tabs rather than having to use one single page as the prime for going to a new page then backward followed by 'click', reload new page and backwards again etc. etc. One solitary page makes it so difficult to navigate, especially if you are compiling a list of information displayed on several pages.
I'm not against it, and I use tabs all the time on my desktop browser, but it's just not how I browse on my phone. I will say this -- Miren gives you the option of opening the tab in front or behind. Dolphin forces you to pick either or as a default. So if you like opening tabs, Miren might actually be better.

And like I said, the ability to really jump back to the previous page and not have to reload means I'm not forced to open tabs. Your method is the only way to make Dolphin even usable.
Cobravision is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Beards's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chesterfield UK
Posts: 1,028
 
Device(s): Current: Sony Z1, iPad Air 128GB Recent: SGS4, SGS3, SGN 10.1, iPad4 64GB.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 43
Thanked 375 Times in 210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
Mine's the Sprint one. I assume yours is as well. And it's set to on-demand. But the same issues that led me to dropping Dolphin HD on my Evo are all there on the SGT. It's slow to load pages completely and worst of all, if you press on a link as it's loading, it won't respond until the page completely loads, at which point after the page is formatted (which itself is slow), the area where I pressed the link is now a different link and it goes somewhere else. So I go back, but Dolphin has already dumped that page so I have to reload it for the link. It's just so frustratingly slow that I had to ditch Dolphin. It did not do this before froyo -- I loved Dolphin on 2.1. I don't have the patience for it now.

Oh, and the other frustrating issue with Dolphin is that it frequently does not give me feedback that it's doing anything after pressing link. I have no idea if it's loading the link or if it's just hanging.



I'm not against it, and I use tabs all the time on my desktop browser, but it's just not how I browse on my phone. I will say this -- Miren gives you the option of opening the tab in front or behind. Dolphin forces you to pick either or as a default. So if you like opening tabs, Miren might actually be better.

And like I said, the ability to really jump back to the previous page and not have to reload means I'm not forced to open tabs. Your method is the only way to make Dolphin even usable.
No, I don't have the Sprint Tab, I have a UK Tab and I think this is where we have the differences.
Regardless, if you are happy with your browser of choice then that's all that really matters.
Pleased you found the right browser.
Beards is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Beerkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blighty
Posts: 720
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy K Zoom SM-C115
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 168 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Beta release of Dolphin Browser for TAB.

http://rapidshare.com/files/440096065/TunnyBrowser_v4.2.0_6021.apk
__________________
Phone: Galaxy K Zoom SM-C115: Now using Galaxy TAB 8.4 Pro. Sowheat!!
Beerkan is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beerkan For This Useful Post:
Anthony1 (January 15th, 2011)
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 53
 
Device(s): Droid X Samsung Galaxy Tab (T-Mobile)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerkan View Post
I currently using Dolphin Browser HD ver 4.2.0 on my Galaxy Tab. What's the difference between it and the one you have linked to here?

BTW...I think it works great on the Tab.....and also, on my Droid X.
Guitar4him is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
AmneonX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 391
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab on CM9
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
mgilland87@gmail.com
Default

I have Opera Mini, Dolphin HD, Skyfire, and Firefox installed on my tab. I am currently testing those along with the regular browser. I have used Dolphin, Firefox, and Default more than the other 2 so far.
AmneonX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
monsterenergy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 488
 
Device(s): HTC M8, N7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 50 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Opera Mobile is working great for me!
monsterenergy22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #38 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
LaTuFu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,123
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Electrify 2, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S Mesmerize, Galaxy 10.
Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks: 82
Thanked 219 Times in 191 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to LaTuFu LaTuFu
Default

Dolphin HD with full screen addon rocks.
LaTuFu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MutantCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edge of Insanity
Posts: 782
 
Device(s): LG G2, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab 10.1 32GB, Moto Droid X (GB 2.3.3 rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 98 Times in 66 Posts
Default

I use Maxthon for tablets on my GT10.1. Best I've used of them all.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mx.browser.tablet&feature=search_re sult
__________________
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1 CM10.1 Jelly Bean!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32 GB Metallic
DX Apex 2.0 RC2 (.596) .13P baseband- shelved
MutantCheese is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hi my friends
please can you tell me how can i make mobile view in the device browser
my device is samsung galaxy s9003
gihad2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #41 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I like the stock browser for overall use. I really like the way the screen real estate is maximized by not having any tabs on the top. Scrolling up and down web pages is silky smooth, and double tapping does a good job of zooming into text blocks.

Tried Dolphin HD and it feels like Microsoft IE, always asking me to make it the default browser, annoying. It also ran kind of slow and laggy on my tab, although I have upgraded to GBread via Odin. Dolphin HD seems very cimplicated, a swipe left does this, a swipe right brings up this menu, a different swype brings up Facebook, etc. The stock browser is simple, it just works.

Now experimenting with Dolphin Mini and I like it much better than Dolphin HD. I like the little transparent "back" button on bottom left hand side. It's more simple and streamlined than HD. It's also easier to make new tabs by hitting the "+" near the top. I don't like the way the tabs sit at the top however, as it takes up real estate but it's not terribly intrusive.

I've read many accounts by people who never bothered with the stock browser. I wonder how many of those people are in this thread? It's inconceivable to me that you wouldn't even bother with the stock browser. Don't you think there might be something of value in the stock software that came with your tablet?
YamaKing is offline  
Last edited by YamaKing; July 28th, 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #42 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ziplip

I just innstalled miren. Looks good. But.I am wondering is there any.browser that will keep tabs in memory after closong the app for some.time. I used.to jave iphone and.safari could have opened up to 7 pages for.days. Even.if he losse data of tje page the link is still in memory
oseloth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #43 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseloth View Post
I just innstalled miren. Looks good. But.I am wondering is there any.browser that will keep tabs in memory after closong the app for some.time. I used.to jave iphone and.safari could have opened up to 7 pages for.days. Even.if he losse data of tje page the link is still in memory
If you hit the home button instead of the back arrow Dolphin stays running with your tabs open. I haven't left it that way for periods of time though, so I don't know if it eventually closes.
Iceman350 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #44 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaKing View Post
I like the stock browser for overall use. I really like the way the screen real estate is maximized by not having any tabs on the top. Scrolling up and down web pages is silky smooth, and double tapping does a good job of zooming into text blocks.

Tried Dolphin HD and it feels like Microsoft IE, always asking me to make it the default browser, annoying. It also ran kind of slow and laggy on my tab, although I have upgraded to GBread via Odin. Dolphin HD seems very cimplicated, a swipe left does this, a swipe right brings up this menu, a different swype brings up Facebook, etc. The stock browser is simple, it just works.

Now experimenting with Dolphin Mini and I like it much better than Dolphin HD. I like the little transparent "back" button on bottom left hand side. It's more simple and streamlined than HD. It's also easier to make new tabs by hitting the "+" near the top. I don't like the way the tabs sit at the top however, as it takes up real estate but it's not terribly intrusive.

I've read many accounts by people who never bothered with the stock browser. I wonder how many of those people are in this thread? It's inconceivable to me that you wouldn't even bother with the stock browser. Don't you think there might be something of value in the stock software that came with your tablet?
I've tried a couple of browsers but return to the stock cause it seems to run fastest. I really hate having to go through a three step process to get to another tab. That is the biggest drawback IMHO
JayinToronto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #45 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ziffos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: East Coast UK
Posts: 63
 
Device(s): Now :- Nexus 7. Had :- iPad1, 2 & 3, iPhone 3GS & 4 & 4s and TF101.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Tried most of the others but returned to the Stock Browser.
__________________
At my age it can be difficult to understand what others regard as simple!
ziffos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:38 AM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 53
 
Device(s): HTC EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantCheese View Post
I use Maxthon for tablets on my GT10.1. Best I've used of them all.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mx.browser.tablet&feature=search_re sult

purchased 7 inch galaxy tab for wifey for xmas and she already is down on it cuz of the web browsing/shopping

does maxthon have 7 inch browser??
Polo63119 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Blackburn, Lancs. A small city in the North West of England.
Gender: Male
Posts: 46
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Everybody seems to be banging on about how "pretty" a webpage looks when using a particular browser, or maybe how simple it is to change the colours of the header.
Does that kind of thing really matter? All I want is a browser that loads the page quickly and with no fuss.
Maybe I'm just getting old,
5tevie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Samsung Galaxy Tab
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.