Here's my simplified version of how to upgrade to 2.2, specifically for folks having problems due to rooting or temp-rooting/non-stock phone. At Pastafarian's request, I've rewritten this as it's own stand-alone post.
Everything after Step 1 is adapted from the link Pastafarian posted here
. The instructions from page 4 (for VM users) really helped spell it out for me. I just thought I'd try to write it up a little easier.
1. Backup everything on your phone with My Backup Pro from Market (free version has 30-day trial). Do both apps and data.
2. Go ahead and install the Intercept drivers from the Samsung site here
. Also, make sure you already have update.zip at the root of your SD card. Get update.zip here
3. Download and install SWUpgrade (SamsungMoment_Update.exe) & reboot if requested. Download it here
(some versions have been problematic, so I uploaded the one that worked for me). Then install the patch (SDX Samsung Updater Patch.exe). Get the patch here
4. Then browse to C:\Program Files\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary and delete the SPHM900 file in there
. Not doing so may very well perma-brick
your phone. Do NOT delete the SamsungPST_SPHM900.dll that is one folder up. I made that mistake and it hung me up for like an hour.
5. Download SPH-M910_MR_DF27_REL_156.tar, which will be your stock update file you'll be flashing with. You can get it from SPH-M910_MR_DF27_REL_156.tar.zip
(courtesy of "adamtrott"). Make sure you rename it and remove the .md5 file extension, so it's just "SPH-M910_MR_DF27_REL_156.tar". Copy it to the binary folder.
6. Time to get down to business. Put your phone into download mode (shut down, then hold Vol Down + Camera + End Call) and hook it up to the USB. Start up SWUpgrade, maximize it, & accept the agreement.
Ignore all the onscreen instructions. If you followed these directions, you've already done everything it wants you to do, and you get to just hit "Next" like an angry monkey until it starts flashing the phone, which will bring up a blue loading bar that will roughly correspond with the one on your phone's screen. Wait till it completes (it will pop up a box for you to OK out of). Pow!
7. Final step. Reboot into recovery (Vol Down + Call + End Call), and select "apply sd card :update.zip".
Watch your phone flash (the "Updating Modem" step takes the longest, so don't panic) and enjoy some sweet sweet frozen yogurt! Make sure you always read the ingredients though, and avoid anything with "carmine" in it. That's the mashed up bug asses (and eggs) they use for coloring
. True story, bro. Google
After you're done, go to the market and redownload MyBackup and restore your apps and settings. Do "check all" but be careful to read any prompts as they come up before blindly clicking. I lost my Angry Birds save, but I really don't give a crap at this point. If I ever decided to temp root again, I can prolly slap it back on with the backup I made from Titanium Backup.
Hope this helps someone!
PS, Big thanks to adamtrott for brainstorming with me on this thing with me for literally 10 hours.