Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Stratosphere

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rjparker
  • 1 Post By acejavelin

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 3rd, 2012, 02:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Samsung Stratosphere
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Regretting the update.

Ever since updating the software, my phone's connection to the internet (by both Wifi and the data network) has drastically decreased in performance. From when it would take 5-10 seconds to load a page previously, it now takes 15-30 seconds. Videos take a long time to buffer, even using the instant search feature is slow (incredibly irritating when I need to simply check spelling). I just can't have a stable 100% connection now. Is anyone else experiencing this? The little changes aside (disappointed by the loss of the puzzle piece unlock like many), I'd live with them if my connection was OK. Any possible suggestions?

*Edit*

I mainly posted to see if anyone else had similar problems. I should probably looking into rooting (something I should have done a long time ago-been meaning to do it, but never actually start) and switch to stock if possible.

Advertisements
Illmaculate is offline  
Last edited by Illmaculate; September 3rd, 2012 at 02:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 3rd, 2012, 02:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 75
 
Device(s): Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

You may not be able to root the phone now. It's rumored that the update patched the hole used to obtain root.
bubbalv29 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident Ninja
 
VoidedSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,189
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,291
Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,377 Posts
Default

hang out in the root section, there is always a way to root, motorola seemed to have stopped the droid x community for a month or so with the update, however a work around was supplied. so no need to worry just check out the rooters and see when a work around comes in
VoidedSaint is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 75
 
Device(s): Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

The problem is, the main developers that worked on the Start don't own the device any more.
bubbalv29 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
acejavelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 763
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, LG G2
Carrier: Aio/Verizon

Thanks: 27
Thanked 217 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Rooting this should be no different than previously, flash CWM Recovery via Heimdall or ODIN, then flash the Superuser package via CWM, I don't have a Strat anymore but with 2.3.4 the Superuser 3.1 version caused weird issues, so you might want to try the 3.0.7-efghi version instead. Dwitherell (one of the main developers for the Stratosphere on RootzWiki) should be getting another Stratosphere soon, so patience may be the key here

Back to the original issue though, have you tried a factory reset after the update? Often a change in the OS causes other underlying issues, I would try doing a factory reset and see if the problem continues, if it does I would contact VZW for a replacement device.
acejavelin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Samsung Stratosphere
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Back to the original issue though, have you tried a factory reset after the update? Often a change in the OS causes other underlying issues, I would try doing a factory reset and see if the problem continues, if it does I would contact VZW for a replacement device.
Didn't reset previously (went to Verizon yesterday and they also told me a wipe was necessary). After running some backups, I did it, but it only seems slightly improved.

I don't know if I want to go through the trouble again for starting up another device (I'll consider it), but as for the root, I can be patient for those.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Illmaculate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
acejavelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 763
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, LG G2
Carrier: Aio/Verizon

Thanks: 27
Thanked 217 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmaculate View Post
Didn't reset previously (went to Verizon yesterday and they also told me a wipe was necessary). After running some backups, I did it, but it only seems slightly improved.

I don't know if I want to go through the trouble again for starting up another device (I'll consider it), but as for the root, I can be patient for those.

Thanks for the replies so far.
You should always do a factory reset via the bootloader (or in this case recovery) and not through the phones menus... I am not sure on the Stratosphere, but some phone do not truly wipe ALL data (such as Dalvik cache) with a factory reset via the phones menu, but from recovery it typically wipes everything.
acejavelin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Angry

I'm also having this issue on FF1, but sometimes it fails to load altogether. This is with WiFi and cellular data also. Occasionally it will work for a while without issues, but if I set the phone down for any length of time it happens again. I'm leaning toward either a connection sleep/resume issue, or something strange with the IPv4/IPv6 configuration. Any ideas anyone?
jesta192 is offline  
Last edited by jesta192; September 12th, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

my data signals got better? I can actually get 3g at my house was a dead spot and 4g everywhere else. They also sneaked in a couple apps with update, i never had quick office, video calling, or Photo Editor. The Photo Editor looks pretty cool.
fairweasel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

After a few more days of using my phone, it seems like my 3G data is working most of the time. But before the update occurred, I had just started connecting to 4G in my house. Now I get 4G for about 5 minutes right after I reboot, then it goes to 3G and stays there...

Strangely, WiFi also seems to be working better than my last post. We'll see what happens...
jesta192 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
cman1414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 74
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

one of my friends updated his stratospere, and now its really laggy, poor service and missing lots of features. so can he root it or anything to make it back to normal or better?
cman1414 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
acejavelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 763
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, LG G2
Carrier: Aio/Verizon

Thanks: 27
Thanked 217 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman1414 View Post
one of my friends updated his stratospere, and now its really laggy, poor service and missing lots of features. so can he root it or anything to make it back to normal or better?
Have you tried a Factory Reset? It can often help with the laggy or poor service, as far as missing features that would depend on what features he is looking for.
acejavelin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
cman1414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 74
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Have you tried a Factory Reset? It can often help with the laggy or poor service, as far as missing features that would depend on what features he is looking for.
Ok, well he basically just wants to go back to the way it was before the update. I was thinking could i flash the rom using odin? i did this with my s3 to root it so i dont know if that would do anything.
cman1414 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I too am having problems with the phone being sluggish after receiving the update. The 4g connection seems slower than 3g. I am nervous about doing a wipe/reset.

Will my apps that aren't on the sd card be lost? Some of the apps are defaulted to the phone, and not to the sd card. I have a lot of different things I track for my work (truck driver). I really wouldn't want to lose the info. Thank You for any help.
rjparker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
acejavelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 763
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, LG G2
Carrier: Aio/Verizon

Thanks: 27
Thanked 217 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman1414 View Post
Ok, well he basically just wants to go back to the way it was before the update. I was thinking could i flash the rom using odin? i did this with my s3 to root it so i dont know if that would do anything.
Unfortunately there is no going back, there is no FULL odin image of the previous firmware, we have everything but the radios (modems) and the new modems are not compatible with any other firmware/kernel combination. A little patience might pay off though, Dwitherell over at RootzWiki is working on a new version of the Tweaked ROM for the Stratosphere using the new firmware as a base, I would expect beta versions to be out in the next week or two (and his betas are actually pretty stable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjparker View Post
I too am having problems with the phone being sluggish after receiving the update. The 4g connection seems slower than 3g. I am nervous about doing a wipe/reset.

Will my apps that aren't on the sd card be lost? Some of the apps are defaulted to the phone, and not to the sd card. I have a lot of different things I track for my work (truck driver). I really wouldn't want to lose the info. Thank You for any help.
When you do a factory reset ALL applications will be lost, the applications should not be the important part, but the data they use. Most applications that make extensive use of their own native data have facilities for backing that information up, for example, text messaging has it's own backup and restore function. Most other information is backed up by Google (contacts, calendar), Verizon (contacts), or other online services, Exchange Email is stored on the server, after all one of the strengths of a Smartphone is that it really doesn't need to store any of it's own data other than pictures, videos, and files themselves (all of which can be copied to a PC via USB cable).

MyBackup in the Play Store may be a good idea, it will backup applications, messages, desktop configuration, WiFi passcodes, and all sorts of stuff too, but I would recommend if at all possible to reinstall apps manually, it is just a cleaner process than restoring a backup that could restore part of the problem.

A factory reset sounds ominous, but really it's pretty simple and generally pretty painless as long as you cover your bases ahead of time. Remember that if you call Verizon, this is typically troubleshooting step #2 on their list for the above problems, after a battery pull reset, so wether you call them or get a replacement phone, one way or another you will have to start clean.
acejavelin is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post:
jesta192 (September 18th, 2012), rjparker (September 19th, 2012)
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Samsung Stratosphere
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Also forgot to mention, the update also drains the battery. With some use, you can only manage to get a little more than several hours. I don't think that is a fixable problem.
Illmaculate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
acejavelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 763
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, LG G2
Carrier: Aio/Verizon

Thanks: 27
Thanked 217 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmaculate View Post
Also forgot to mention, the update also drains the battery. With some use, you can only manage to get a little more than several hours. I don't think that is a fixable problem.
Battery drain is caused by:

1) Screen - Biggest battery user
2) Radios - Better signal=better battery life/weak signal=poor battery life
3) Misbehaving applications - ones that keep the phone from "sleeping"
4) Background processes legitimately keeping the phone from "sleeping"

Some of these things can be "forced" to get better, keep the screen brightness lower (25% brightness uses 1/4-1/3 the power of 50% brightness, and it increases exponentially from there... 25% brightness uses like 10% of the power of full brightness), keep radios off that are not needed (GPS, BT) and use applications like JuiceDefender to manage data radios when not needed or toggle back to 3G when 4G speeds are not needed. Use an app like GSam Battery Monitor to see if applications are misbehaving and holding the wake lock too much or for too long, use applications like Advanced Task Manager to kill stale applications that might still be running in memory tying up battery.

BTW, you guys complain about the battery in the Stratosphere? I wish the battery in my Rezound would last like my old Strat, I am lucky to get 2.5-3 hours of screen time with excellent signal doing minimal tasks, right now barely making it through the day. My old Stratosphere would give me 3 hours screen time, and still have 50%+ battery at the end of the day in similar circumstances.
acejavelin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 534
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 37
Thanked 57 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Flashed the overlay, kernel and radio from Rootzwiki on my wife's phone.. Everything's fine and we still have root. Unfortunately we kind of miss the puzzle lock but that's it. She says she doesn't notice any difference.
__________________
Known as Stonent on XDA
MrDangerous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
acejavelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 763
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, LG G2
Carrier: Aio/Verizon

Thanks: 27
Thanked 217 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDangerous View Post
Flashed the overlay, kernel and radio from Rootzwiki on my wife's phone.. Everything's fine and we still have root. Unfortunately we kind of miss the puzzle lock but that's it. She says she doesn't notice any difference.
You could try MagicLocker: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.lockscreen.magiclocker

Then add the SamsungGS Theme: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.lockscreen.magiclocker.theme.free. haron.samsunggs_trans

Or search out some other MagicLocker theme that is free, I used the Sense ones, loved them way more than the puzzle lock.
acejavelin is online now  
Last edited by acejavelin; September 20th, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
cman1414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 74
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Unfortunately there is no going back, there is no FULL odin image of the previous firmware, we have everything but the radios (modems) and the new modems are not compatible with any other firmware/kernel combination. A little patience might pay off though, Dwitherell over at RootzWiki is working on a new version of the Tweaked ROM for the Stratosphere using the new firmware as a base, I would expect beta versions to be out in the next week or two (and his betas are actually pretty stable).


When you do a factory reset ALL applications will be lost, the applications should not be the important part, but the data they use. Most applications that make extensive use of their own native data have facilities for backing that information up, for example, text messaging has it's own backup and restore function. Most other information is backed up by Google (contacts, calendar), Verizon (contacts), or other online services, Exchange Email is stored on the server, after all one of the strengths of a Smartphone is that it really doesn't need to store any of it's own data other than pictures, videos, and files themselves (all of which can be copied to a PC via USB cable).

MyBackup in the Play Store may be a good idea, it will backup applications, messages, desktop configuration, WiFi passcodes, and all sorts of stuff too, but I would recommend if at all possible to reinstall apps manually, it is just a cleaner process than restoring a backup that could restore part of the problem.

A factory reset sounds ominous, but really it's pretty simple and generally pretty painless as long as you cover your bases ahead of time. Remember that if you call Verizon, this is typically troubleshooting step #2 on their list for the above problems, after a battery pull reset, so wether you call them or get a replacement phone, one way or another you will have to start clean.
yes i am aware of these things, but it is since the update that it sucks so bad!
ive heard the same issue with the s3 that has a similar update to this. i mean basically the battery got worst after the update and no soul reason has yet to be found
cman1414 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This update totally sucks. My phone is so slow now and loses its connection to Wifi constantly. I am in charge of social media for my office and I am now losing my connection to facebook all the time. I also miss the puzzle piece. The one thing I do like about the update is the option to send an IM when you are on a call. AND I DON'T HAVE AN UPGRADE TILL NEXT JUNE! WAAAAHHHH!!!!
oddestfellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Many thanks to AceJavelin! I did a reset/wipe to my Stratosphere. Using the "My Backup" utility, and it was super simple. Although remembering what icons/shortcuts went where, and I lost some notes on that I had written, it went smoothly. Even found and downloaded something called google drive. No more lost notes, no matter how trivial they might be. Thank You for your understanding
acejavelin likes this.
rjparker is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjparker For This Useful Post:
acejavelin (September 26th, 2012)
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
acejavelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 763
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, LG G2
Carrier: Aio/Verizon

Thanks: 27
Thanked 217 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjparker View Post
Many thanks to AceJavelin! I did a reset/wipe to my Stratosphere. Using the "My Backup" utility, and it was super simple. Although remembering what icons/shortcuts went where, and I lost some notes on that I had written, it went smoothly. Even found and downloaded something called google drive. No more lost notes, no matter how trivial they might be. Thank You for your understanding
Awesome! Glad I could be of help. Google Drive is pretty cool, and you can pretty do the same with DropBox or Box if you prefer or run out of space in Google Drive.
acejavelin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Samsung Stratosphere
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Sigh, looks like I'll have to reset the phone again.

Anyone else has had success by doing so the proper way? Don't want to go through the backup process again in case it doesn't help much.

*Edit*

This should shed light on the issues better:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/772262
Illmaculate is offline  
Last edited by Illmaculate; September 27th, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,643
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 593
Thanked 793 Times in 633 Posts
Default

I did a reset/wipe (my first time) on mine last week after getting the ICS updates and not really seeing any issues. In fact, it seems my wifi connection is better now than before the upgrade, not exactly sure why.

The backup/restore wasn't exactly what I thought it would be or I didn't do it right. I used App Backup/Reinstall. It did backup my apps but I don't think it backup my data.

All is good now.

Thnx.
__________________
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything! - Sly Stone
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Samsung Stratosphere
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saptech View Post
I did a reset/wipe (my first time) on mine last week after getting the ICS updates and not really seeing any issues. In fact, it seems my wifi connection is better now than before the upgrade, not exactly sure why.

The backup/restore wasn't exactly what I thought it would be or I didn't do it right. I used App Backup/Reinstall. It did backup my apps but I don't think it backup my data.

All is good now.

Thnx.
Been a day, has it still been running smoothly?

And another thread on the Verizon site, specifically for this issue. Much more than a simple reset problem and no one has gotten any solid support from Verizon or Samsung yet:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/874561#874561

Man, I specifically got this phone for the keyboard and it was working well for me for more than half a year. Then it gets messed up like this with no turning back and it's not mine or any customer's fault...
Illmaculate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
myherojack24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Indianapolis, In
Gender: Female
Posts: 9
 
Device(s): Stratosphere - Sch-I405
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default working for now

Hi, I have been so aggravated with my phone since the update I could have thrown it off of a very tall building, well building, bridge, Shaquille O'Neal, any tall structure.

Anywho...I broke down and did a factory reset and that definitely helped with some of the "bugginess", however, wifi issues stayed the same. Ugh...

Well believe it or not, I simply turned off mobile data and my wifi connection is suddenly faster than ever. Granted it's only been a matter of hours but the improvement was amazing and is still holding up. 

I re-enabled mobile data a couple of times to test it and sure enough, after anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour it started hanging up again. I disabled it yet again and although there wasn't an immediate improvement, I turned airplane mode on and back off and voila, super speedy wifi again and it did this both times so there seems to be a definite connection (lol, connection, see what I did there?).

So, hopefully it holds up, it's been a few hours and it's still going strong. I'm totally ok with turning mobile data on and off when I'm not in a wifi spot.

Fingers are crossed and hopefully this helps someone else.
myherojack24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,643
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 593
Thanked 793 Times in 633 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmaculate View Post
Been a day, has it still been running smoothly?

And another thread on the Verizon site, specifically for this issue. Much more than a simple reset problem and no one has gotten any solid support from Verizon or Samsung yet:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/874561#874561

Man, I specifically got this phone for the keyboard and it was working well for me for more than half a year. Then it gets messed up like this with no turning back and it's not mine or any customer's fault...
Thanks for the link. I read through it.As far as my wifi connection, it seems to work pretty good, about same as before upgrade, so does my 3g/4g.

The quirks I'm noticing has to do with some apps, such as I have two email apps when I goto read my gmail. I can't seem to find the default email to stop it from accessing gmail, I want google app to access it.

Thnx.
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Samsung Stratosphere
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hm, connection's been good all day today. Been the same for anyone else?
Illmaculate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:38 PM   #30 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Illmaculate,

WiFi has been dodgy for me. I'm trying to debug this using the Fiddler proxy app, but when I'm connected using the proxy settings, my WiFi returns to normal speed . Not sure what the proxy has to do with it; perhaps the wifi_sleep_state text that was in there when I first got the update indicates that some variables were mis-assigned by the programmer?

FYI, turning off Mobile Data as some have suggested has NOT helped in my case. I haven't been using Mobile Data much anyway (hooray for ShareEverything ), but when I did it also had the problem.
jesta192 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
acejavelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 763
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, LG G2
Carrier: Aio/Verizon

Thanks: 27
Thanked 217 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesta192 View Post
Illmaculate,

WiFi has been dodgy for me. I'm trying to debug this using the Fiddler proxy app, but when I'm connected using the proxy settings, my WiFi returns to normal speed . Not sure what the proxy has to do with it; perhaps the wifi_sleep_state text that was in there when I first got the update indicates that some variables were mis-assigned by the programmer?

FYI, turning off Mobile Data as some have suggested has NOT helped in my case. I haven't been using Mobile Data much anyway (hooray for ShareEverything ), but when I did it also had the problem.
Unless you are using a true Proxy server with your WiFi network, are hiding your surfing due a porn addiction, or are downloading the entire Sony Music collection via BitTorrent to your phone, the Proxy field should be empty/blank... I have seen with some ROMs and sometimes after a factory reset (really weird) where this field will get populated with bogus data or something that looks important (ie. wifi_sleep_state) but it should be blank for 99.999% of people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server
saptech likes this.
acejavelin is online now  
Last edited by acejavelin; October 4th, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #32 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Samsung Stratosphere
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Day two of solid, normal connections. Sure hope it lasts. I don't believe I have done anything (to the phone) that could have improved the connection. Any ideas?
Illmaculate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmaculate View Post
Day two of solid, normal connections. Sure hope it lasts. I don't believe I have done anything (to the phone) that could have improved the connection. Any ideas?
If I were you, I'd just be happy. Am fighting with Big Red right now about 2 crappy replacement Stratospheres that are actually worse than the ones they replaced, with a non-functional keyboard on top of the connection issues. A phone should last longer than 6 - 8 months (bought in December, replaced twice since) and not be broken via an update that also took months to get. Not a happy VZW customer.
musicmama is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I had posted this in the verizon forum thread a few days ago but I figured I'd post it here too in case it could possibly help anyone:

"I don't doubt that everyone here is having issues with upgrade...especially since so many people are having the exact same problems. Strangely though, I must be one of the only happy people after the update. I think it may have to do with the order that I updated though. It's probably too late to help anyone, but when my phone alerted me to the update...I decided to factory reset the phone and then do the update after that. I figured there was less chance of apps or other stuff causing problems if I applied the update over the factory install and then installed my apps afterwards. I only have about 8 apps I use anyways so it's not like it was much work for me. On my PC when upgrading to a new Windows operating system, I always had better luck and more stability doing a fresh install (and then installing all my software after)...rather than installing the newer operating system on top of the old one and all the old software. I figured the same approach would be better with the phone as well. Long story short, this phone had a few annoying problems before the update that are gone now...and now I'm actually very happy with it. The only thing I haven't verified is how well my wifi works after the update (since I don't have a wireless router and I basically only use wifi when I visit my parents house every month or two). I'll have to test that out next time I visit them. Everything else has been great so far though."
ekloot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #35 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Samsung Stratosphere
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmama View Post
If I were you, I'd just be happy. Am fighting with Big Red right now about 2 crappy replacement Stratospheres that are actually worse than the ones they replaced, with a non-functional keyboard on top of the connection issues. A phone should last longer than 6 - 8 months (bought in December, replaced twice since) and not be broken via an update that also took months to get. Not a happy VZW customer.
Went four days good, but now it's slow again. Don't know what it could have been.
Illmaculate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
acejavelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 763
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, LG G2
Carrier: Aio/Verizon

Thanks: 27
Thanked 217 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmaculate View Post
Went four days good, but now it's slow again. Don't know what it could have been.
Have you tried a task manager like Advanced Task Manager or ES Task Manager to kill stale tasks? My Strat always slowed down in a few days and I would reboot it, until I started using a task manger, only had to reboot every couple weeks after that.

By contrast, one of my HTC Rezounds hasn't been rebooted since it got an update... AUGUST 2ND! Still runs like a champ... now my other one is a different story, but that isn't the fault of the phone, I am just "tweaking" all the time on that one!
acejavelin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Samsung Stratosphere
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Have you tried a task manager like Advanced Task Manager or ES Task Manager to kill stale tasks? My Strat always slowed down in a few days and I would reboot it, until I started using a task manger, only had to reboot every couple weeks after that.

By contrast, one of my HTC Rezounds hasn't been rebooted since it got an update... AUGUST 2ND! Still runs like a champ... now my other one is a different story, but that isn't the fault of the phone, I am just "tweaking" all the time on that one!
No, man. It had nothing to do with task managers. During the four days the connection was normal, I did not do anything different to or on my phone which would have affected it (at least, I'm sure I'm not).

I'll try ATM out though. Hopefully, it'll at least make me reboot less often. I only get 20 minutes to an hour or so of a good connection (unless I let the phone sit for ten minutes, which it messes up).

*Edit*

I've also failed to mention, some sites I use do load normally. I assume it has to do with the browser's history or bookmarks, but stuff like Google searches or the Youtube app, for example, are always slow when the connection's bad.
Illmaculate is offline  
Last edited by Illmaculate; October 12th, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #38 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmaculate View Post
No, man. It had nothing to do with task managers. During the four days the connection was normal, I did not do anything different to or on my phone which would have affected it (at least, I'm sure I'm not).

I'll try ATM out though. Hopefully, it'll at least make me reboot less often. I only get 20 minutes to an hour or so of a good connection (unless I let the phone sit for ten minutes, which it messes up).

*Edit*

I've also failed to mention, some sites I use do load normally. I assume it has to do with the browser's history or bookmarks, but stuff like Google searches or the Youtube app, for example, are always slow when the connection's bad.
As far as I'm concerned, there really isn't much reason to use ATM, particularly on this phone. If you hold the home button then click Task Manager, you have features to kill tasks. I'm sure ATM is great for some purposes, but so many (including the Android team at Google) have claimed that task managers (including the in-built one) do more harm than good.

My wife's Fascinate developed rebooting problems. She upgraded to the Galaxy S III, and I used her Fascinate for a couple days. Even after a factory reset, the phone rebooted spontaneously at least once, so it is likely a hardware or battery terminal problem.

Anyways, here's how I temporarily fixed the FF1 data and Wi-Fi problem while we wait for a real fix from Samsung and Verizon:
How I (seriously) fixed FF1 data problem! - Stratosphere - RootzWiki
jesta192 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #39 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Samsung Stratosphere
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesta192 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, there really isn't much reason to use ATM, particularly on this phone. If you hold the home button then click Task Manager, you have features to kill tasks. I'm sure ATM is great for some purposes, but so many (including the Android team at Google) have claimed that task managers (including the in-built one) do more harm than good.
That's what I've heard, actually.

Quote:
Anyways, here's how I temporarily fixed the FF1 data and Wi-Fi problem while we wait for a real fix from Samsung and Verizon:
How I (seriously) fixed FF1 data problem! - Stratosphere - RootzWiki
Thanks for the link. I'm probably gonna wait for more comments to fill that page, however. Just to be safe.

About an official fix, apparently some people have gotten through to Verizon finally (from the link I posted above). An update/fix might be sent by the end of the month (which is still a ways off).
Illmaculate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Stratosphere
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Stratosphere is a 4G LTE device for Verizon. It is a mid-range handset featuring a 1GHz processor, 4-inch Super AMOLED display and 5MP camera, and is the first LTE device in Verizon's lineup to feature a slide-out QWERTY keyboard. ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Stratosphere
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.