Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Orange San Francisco 2 (ZTE Blade 2) > San Francisco 2 - All Things Root

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: India
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Best ROM at present for OSF2

I have recently purchased OSF2 from UK.
I have already unlocked the phone and now currently searching out for a stable ROM with a good interface and good battery life..
Please suggest

Advertisements
rocker123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
fr0d0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 101
 
Device(s): ZTE Blade OSFI + Crescent TMV
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Well there's a choice of about 3 basic roms. Sebs, fliblesans (one of which you'll already be using) or raverrrs. The battery life on all 3 is the same, all good. The first 2 are generic roms and Fish n chips 3 is based on the french Blade S and supports the hardware more thoroughly.
fr0d0 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fr0d0 For This Useful Post:
rocker123 (March 8th, 2012)
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: India
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Should i opt for fish n chips RLS3 ??
Is that the most recent stable one at present ??
Or should i give CM9 a try ?
rocker123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Reider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

No disrespect to CM9 but its at an early stage. FnC R3 has one or two slight problems but its well worthy of release status. I thought FnC R2 was one to settle with but R3 feels even better still. I`ve swapped ROMs about 20+ times already but keep coming back to FnC, with R3 its going to be hard for me to budge from there. Especially now I added the overclock zip to mine. But I think Raverr is building that in too. Still a WIP (work in Progress) but its a well usable product IMHO.
Reider is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reider For This Useful Post:
rocker123 (March 9th, 2012)
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: India
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reider View Post
No disrespect to CM9 but its at an early stage. FnC R3 has one or two slight problems but its well worthy of release status. I thought FnC R2 was one to settle with but R3 feels even better still. I`ve swapped ROMs about 20+ times already but keep coming back to FnC, with R3 its going to be hard for me to budge from there. Especially now I added the overclock zip to mine. But I think Raverr is building that in too. Still a WIP (work in Progress) but its a well usable product IMHO.
Did a bit of research ..
Yes, CM 9 is still on dev phase... Still early days..
I am planning for FnC R2 because its the most stable at present..
A few bugs in R3, will wait for its stable release.
I guess that would be the best option at present...
Whatsay ?
rocker123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Reider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

No, R3 fixed some of the problems in R2, hence the change in revision number. Some of us then manually added the overclock facility. R4 may be released this weekend including the overclock facility built in. Hopefully more fixes too because Bluetooth is still problematic but not dead like it is in R2.
Reider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: India
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reider View Post
No, R3 fixed some of the problems in R2, hence the change in revision number. Some of us then manually added the overclock facility. R4 may be released this weekend including the overclock facility built in. Hopefully more fixes too because Bluetooth is still problematic but not dead like it is in R2.
So should i finally opt for this one ??
Fish_and_Chips_SF2_RLS3.zip

Or should i wait for R4 ?
rocker123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Reider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

That's up to you. Its only hopefully this weekend. If you put R3 on it gives you a chance to look around it. Then try R4 if it appears at the weekend. Or sit and wait it out. If it was me I'd be 'dying to change it and see what it's like. But that's easy to say when you've swapped 20+ times already, it takes 5-10 minutes to do.
Reider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
fr0d0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 101
 
Device(s): ZTE Blade OSFI + Crescent TMV
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Don't forget, Titanium Backup is your friend. Makes swapping roms painless. And take a nandoid backup so you can revert back to your last good state if needed.

.
fr0d0 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: India
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I guess ill wait for RLS4
Raverrr is about to release it within the next 24hrs.
rocker123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: India
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Also, Could someone help me out with the installation procedure for CWM recovery ?
rocker123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Reider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

If you mean to install the ROM then yes;

(1) Make sure you use Titanium backup and backup all the stuff you want to put back on
(2) Start with 100% battery or as near as you can.
(3) Start CWM
(4) Wipe data/factory reset, do not restart the phone or leave CWM yet.
(5) Wipe cache partition, do not restart the phone or leave CWM yet.
(6) Select "advanced" at the bottom of the 1st screen.
(7) On the 2nd screen choose "Wipe Dalvik cache", do not restart the phone or leave CWM yet.
(8) Return to the first screen, using the curled arrow key bottom right of the 3 buttons on the SF2
(9) Choose install zip from SDCard and then use vol up/down to get to the one you want. Press the Home key when you get to it. If you use a ROM that needs the correct Kernel file then apply this before you take the next step of rebooting the system. This is not now necessary on the latest FnC ROM as its built in.
(10) When it completes you can reboot the system (phone)

Best to leave your sim out the first time then turn off data when the phone boots. That way you don`t get mugged for another 1 like I do, but that depends on the sim and contract. Restart the phone a couple of times. Then use Titanium Backup to restore your stuff.
Reider is offline  
Last edited by Reider; March 10th, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: India
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reider View Post
If you mean to install the ROM then yes;

(1) Make sure you use Titanium backup and backup all the stuff you want to put back on
(2) Start with 100% battery or as near as you can.
(3) Start CWM
(4) Wipe data/factory reset, do not restart the phone or leave CWM yet.
(5) Wipe cache partition, do not restart the phone or leave CWM yet.
(6) Select "advanced" at the bottom of the 1st screen.
(7) On the 2nd screen choose "Wipe Dalvik cache", do not restart the phone or leave CWM yet.
(8) Return to the first screen, using the curled arrow key bottom right of the 3 buttons on the SF2
(9) Choose install zip from SDCard and then use vol up/down to get to the one you want. Press the Home key when you get to it. If you use a ROM that needs the correct Kernel file then apply this before you take the next step of rebooting the system. This is not now necessary on the latest FnC ROM as its built in.
(10) When it completes you can reboot the system (phone)

Best to leave your sim out the first time then turn off data when the phone boots. That way you don`t get mugged for another 1 like I do, but that depends on the sim and contract. Restart the phone a couple of times. Then use Titanium Backup to restore your stuff.
Nope, I am asking how to get Clockword on my phone.
When i press the vol down button, it enters FTM
So basically I need CWM recovery to be installed.
How do i go about it ?
rocker123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker123 View Post
Nope, I am asking how to get Clockword on my phone.
When i press the vol down button, it enters FTM
So basically I need CWM recovery to be installed.
How do i go about it ?

Have the same here question, could somebody advise how to put CWM onto the phone or point us in the direction of an easy to use previous thread......cheers
bryfly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Reider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Try the post by Bouncer5 in this link, first post and if already unlocked go to the box showing how to install CWM;

[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete] - Android @ MoDaCo

All I can say is I ignored the message at the top and it all worked for me perfectly and has done ever since. It's your call though, red pill or blue pill?
Reider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
fr0d0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 101
 
Device(s): ZTE Blade OSFI + Crescent TMV
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Default

If your phone is already unlocked then a very easy method is to use the upgrade function to install CWM. Search Modaco Crescent forum for the thread of that name.
fr0d0 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: India
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0d0 View Post
If your phone is already unlocked then a very easy method is to use the upgrade function to install CWM. Search Modaco Crescent forum for the thread of that name.
I did search on the modaco forum. I guess you are referring to this post:
[RECOVERY] : ClockworkMod Recovery for ZTE Blade 2 - Android @ MoDaCo - Page 2

I tried this, but when I click on system updates, it prompts me that no image file present in SD card, although i have saved the image file in the SD card.

I have kep theimage file in the root directory of the card. Still facing this issue.
rocker123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Reider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker123 View Post
I did search on the modaco forum. I guess you are referring to this post:
[RECOVERY] : ClockworkMod Recovery for ZTE Blade 2 - Android @ MoDaCo - Page 2

I tried this, but when I click on system updates, it prompts me that no image file present in SD card, although i have saved the image file in the SD card.

I have kep theimage file in the root directory of the card. Still facing this issue.
But what is the name of the file you placed in the SD card root? Is it the same name as when you downloaded it or have you tried changing it to update.zip? (without the question mark). Once again it does say untested as he doesn`t have the phone, it does say the most dangerous way, it does say only use if you have no other way and I personally haven`t used it either. Had you been near to Cheshire I would have done this for you. Hang in there, you will get it done.
Reider is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reider For This Useful Post:
rocker123 (March 19th, 2012)
Old March 12th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
fr0d0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 101
 
Device(s): ZTE Blade OSFI + Crescent TMV
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Default

I've used the method a couple of times. I would say it's a pretty bulletproof method if the file downloaded is undamaged (It's just a zip - try opening it & that should be enough to test that it is).

Yes the file needs to be called "update.zip" and you need the phone to be unlocked first.
fr0d0 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: India
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I was able to successfully install CWM recovery on my phone ..
Now currently on FnC RLS4..
rocker123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Reider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Good eggs! You should be able to quite easily change to the next FnC or any other suitable ROM now. It becomes quite addictive at times, just be careful.
Reider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Orange San Francisco 2 (ZTE Blade 2) > San Francisco 2 - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.