I found a way to root it with impactor, its not permanent, but easy to do. lasts for at least 30 mins and can use root apps still working on permanent root though, but just figured this process out today.
1. power off phone
2. hold power button and both volume buttons on boot, to enter safe mode
3. plug phone in to pc
4. start impactor.exe
5. click start to install superSU
6. once finished check device is rooted with terminal or basic root checker app
7. reboot phone out of safe mode
8. run impactor again
9. check root
10. complete steps 1 - 9 if start getting mount:read only system error.
There are other options on the impactor i havent tried yet, but i can confirm that barnacle wifi tether works with it while rooted, really my only reason for needing root. If anyone knows a way to get more options to show under MORE..., than just vp settings please let me know what needs to modified. this works on ZTE Majesty 4.1.2 jelly bean.
here is the download for the Impactor, i'll leave it up for a couple days!
feel free to download it