Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 63
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default For the masses or too expensive??

I originally posted this under another thread, but no responses so figured I'd start a new thread...


I know it would just be total speculation at this stage, but for you grizzled smartphone vets out there based on your knowledge of the history of the Xperia phones and Sony's marketing strategy, is there a good chance of this thing being priced for the masses ($249 or less with new contract) and really try to claim some market share , or will it be one of those exclusive high-end devices with it's own little niche? I'm just wondering if with those specs and overall size if they could even afford to sell it for that little.

That's assuming it comes to the US and is subisidized by one of the carriers, unlike that crazy ole N97 that I don't see who would pay all that money for.

sleemie is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Jacqueline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 393
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Sony has a track record of charging more, but it really depends on how much the phone company subsidizes it. For instance, the Motorola Cliq on T-Mobile is selling for the same price as the better spec'd Droid on Verizon.
__________________
--==|Jacqueline|==--
I http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/style_em...efault/wub.gif my Droid
My WinMo 6.1 is toast. Buh-bye!
Droid does: Google Voice
Jacqueline is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vido.ardes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 1,059
 
Device(s): HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 213 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Judging by the 4 following rumored specs, I would say it will cost between 800 - 1000 off contract:

  • 1GHz Snapdragon processor
  • 4" OLED Capacitive screen
  • 32GB Internal Storage
  • 8.1MP Camera with 1080p video capture

This is about as high end as it gets in phone technology. There isn't anything on the market with this amount of technology in it, so I am going assume this will be priced at the top end, even on subsidized contracts.
vido.ardes is offline  
Last edited by vido.ardes; November 2nd, 2009 at 02:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 112
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vido.ardes View Post
Judging by the 4 following rumored specs, I would say it will cost between 800 - 1000 off contract:

  • 1GHz Snapdragon processor
  • 4" OLED Capacitive screen
  • 32GB Internal Storage
  • 8.1MP Camera with 1080p video capture

This is about as high end as it gets in phone technology. There isn't anything on the market with this amount of technology in it, so I am going assume this will be priced at the top end, even on subsidized contracts.
What?? Even with its awesomeness i doubt they could actually charge that much. That's like at least $1500+ Australian dollars. At that price this thing can't do well in the US since phones there seem to be less than half that amount outright.
AdamHC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vido.ardes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 1,059
 
Device(s): HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 213 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHC View Post
What?? Even with its awesomeness i doubt they could actually charge that much. That's like at least $1500+ Australian dollars. At that price this thing can't do well in the US since phones there seem to be less than half that amount outright.
Well the X2 is over 600 + shipping and this has alot more hardware than that does. An iPhone 3GS is 890 so I wouldn't be surprised to see an 800 RRP
vido.ardes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 63
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

But if you had looked at the specs of the Droid one could have easily said the same thing, but yet it came out at just $10 more than the Hero, which it out "spec'd" by a long shot when you factor in a hardware keyboard also which costs more to build. So...if they WANTED to, or the carrier wanted to really push it, I think they could come down as low as 249 with contract.
sleemie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vido.ardes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 1,059
 
Device(s): HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 213 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleemie View Post
But if you had looked at the specs of the Droid one could have easily said the same thing, but yet it came out at just $10 more than the Hero, which it out "spec'd" by a long shot when you factor in a hardware keyboard also which costs more to build. So...if they WANTED to, or the carrier wanted to really push it, I think they could come down as low as 249 with contract.
With a contract, the most i'd pay is 100 (on 18 month). I was simply talking of contract.
vido.ardes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vido.ardes View Post
Well the X2 is over 600 + shipping and this has alot more hardware than that does. An iPhone 3GS is 890 so I wouldn't be surprised to see an 800 RRP
Uh, what? The iPhone 3GS is either 440.40 (16GB) or 538.30 (32GB) http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTAyNTM5ODU . The X10 will be expensive, but there's no way its going to be 800+.

Contracts in the UK are completely different to those in the US. You'll just end up confusd if you try comparing them.
Karganeth is offline  
Last edited by Karganeth; November 7th, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
FireRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 77
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This is without question a very high end phone with powerful specs. I'm guessing with a two year contract it's going to be $299 if not $399. Though, you never know because phones these days are lower in price for better competition. Unless the X10 truly offers something no other phones does, SE cannot charge more than the average smart phone.
__________________
Current BlackBerry and iPhone User. Future Android Owner.
I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me.

FireRunner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 224
 
Device(s): In Between Devices
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
This is without question a very high end phone with powerful specs. I'm guessing with a two year contract it's going to be $299 if not $399. Though, you never know because phones these days are lower in price for better competition. Unless the X10 truly offers something no other phones does, SE cannot charge more than the average smart phone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it up near iPhone 3GS 32GB pricing of $399. I'd jump on it though for that price. Hopefully it is released in the first part of 2010 Q1, not the last part.
0837s is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 63
 
Device(s): Unbranded HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vido.ardes View Post
Judging by the 4 following rumored specs, I would say it will cost between 800 - 1000 off contract:

  • 1GHz Snapdragon processor
  • 4" OLED Capacitive screen
  • 32GB Internal Storage
  • 8.1MP Camera with 1080p video capture

This is about as high end as it gets in phone technology. There isn't anything on the market with this amount of technology in it, so I am going assume this will be priced at the top end, even on subsidized contracts.
The Toshiba TG01 goes for about 500-450 sim free. That phone has the same processor. Phone-size OLED screens are getting cheaper, cameras are cheap, and flash storage is dirt cheap. Should not be more than 650-700 sim free or free on decent contracts at around 35/m when it comes out.

Even though it would be too expensive for me, I still hope it does not get Orange exclusivity, for the sake of the device.
golder is offline  
Last edited by golder; November 15th, 2009 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Xperia X10 announced November 2009 was Sony Ericssons first flagship phone running the Android OS and at the time of announcement - the first Android handset to come with a 1 GHz Snapdragon Processor setting a path and standard for other 'h... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.