Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Sports

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toluca Lake, CA
Posts: 432
 
Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 326
Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
Default Sports Leagues TOP Franchises.

Was having a discussion with a friend and we were trying to figure out which teams are the TOP teams in their respective league. Meaning they have the highest prestige, legacy, history, value to their league. If these teams left the league or disappeared overnight, the league would suffer.

MLB (in no particular order)
Yankees
Red Sox
Cubs
Dodgers

NBA
Lakers
Celtics
Knicks
Bulls

NFL
Cowboys
Bears
Steelers
Packers
Giants

NHL
Red Wings
Maple Leafs
Canadiens
Bruins
Rangers
Blackhawks

Am I missing a team? Care to argue for your team?

jayefef is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
VegasOnAcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,759
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 130
Thanked 188 Times in 143 Posts
Default

NHL wise, The Hawks, Bruins, and Rangers have some pretty rich history, but besides being a in a major US city would not have such impact on the sport if they were not around. I think the Penguins deserve a spot, they have a storied history and have been home to 3 of the best players to ever play. Mario, Jagr and Crosby.


I think Pats and Niners deserve a spot in NFL too.
VegasOnAcid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
cfoley23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 53
 
Device(s): Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I am in no way trying to be a homer but three key ones you are missing are the Phillies, Eagles and Flyers.

Phillies- highest attendance in MLB in a mid sized stadium with 100+ sell outs in a row, they are one of the oldest franchises in sports, yes we've only won two world series but we have had some of the greatest players of all time in their respective postions play(ed) here for many years: Richie Ashburn, Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Grover Cleveland Alexander, and some would argue Chase Utley.

Eagles- Forbes has them ranked the #11 most valuable sports teams in the world, they are contenders every year (at least since 2000) and are almost always in super bowl talk (except for maybe this year), One of the largest fan bases in the NFL, from school i met a lot of people from all over the country who are die hard Brids fans.

Flyers- this is the easiest one to argue for. They have they second highest winning percentage among active teams behind the Habs. They have only missed the playoffs (im not 100% sure on the number but its in that general area) 9 times since the team was made in 1967. Broad Street Bullies. Legion of Doom. Everyone loves to hate them. Two Stanley cups and many more cup appearances.

i could go on for all, but dont have the time to. once again i am not trying to be a homer, but those are just a small case for each team.
cfoley23 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jayjay1122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: I'll be where I'm at!
Posts: 1,454
 
Device(s): GS4
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 352
Thanked 338 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasOnAcid View Post
NHL wise, The Hawks, Bruins, and Rangers have some pretty rich history, but besides being a in a major US city would not have such impact on the sport if they were not around. I think the Penguins deserve a spot, they have a storied history and have been home to 3 of the best players to ever play. Mario, Jagr and Crosby.


I think Pats and Niners deserve a spot in NFL too.
Ya know, I could see why you would say that, but I have to disagree a little bit. Historically the NHL has had a spike in popularity every time an original 6 team (other than the Wings only cause they have been winning) wins the cup.

I think the sport needs it.

Think back to how popular the NHL was nationally in the mid 90's after the Rangers won the cup, even hip hop was all about hockey jerseys!
jayjay1122 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,244
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,400
Thanked 1,439 Times in 978 Posts
Default

Well, the Yankees are the top franchise in all of sports. That's just a fact (even if you hate them - it's the truth).
__________________
I talk to corporate like a BAWSS!

DEVICE ► Nexus 5 / Nexus 7
ROM ► Dirty Unicorns
KERNEL ► Franco / Glitch
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
VegasOnAcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,759
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 130
Thanked 188 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay1122 View Post
Ya know, I could see why you would say that, but I have to disagree a little bit. Historically the NHL has had a spike in popularity every time an original 6 team (other than the Wings only cause they have been winning) wins the cup.

I think the sport needs it.

Think back to how popular the NHL was nationally in the mid 90's after the Rangers won the cup, even hip hop was all about hockey jerseys!
Better for hockey in the USA, which is good for me cause I live here. But move the Rangers to even a small Canadian city and the fan base will be more dedicated then it is now in New York and rating regionally will be good all the time not just when they are winning.

What Jayefefe is asking is not completely clear to me tho. You can be an incredible team historically but have little to no value to the league today. Look at the Islanders or the Blackhawks 3-4 years ago.
VegasOnAcid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toluca Lake, CA
Posts: 432
 
Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 326
Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
Well, the Yankees are the top franchise in all of sports. That's just a fact (even if you hate them - it's the truth).
I think Manchester United has them beat but I limited it to US sports leagues. I think more people here care about MU than care about the Yanks in the UK.
jayefef is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
cfoley23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 53
 
Device(s): Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
Well, the Yankees are the top franchise in all of sports. That's just a fact (even if you hate them - it's the truth).
In Baseball? yes. In America? possibly. but in ALL of sports? that title belongs to Manchester United

Edit: I didn't see the post above this. glad to see someone else agrees haha.
cfoley23 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,244
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,400
Thanked 1,439 Times in 978 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayefef View Post
I think Manchester United has them beat but I limited it to US sports leagues. I think more people here care about MU than care about the Yanks in the UK.
If you wanna get that technical about it.. then Real Madrid > Manchester United

We live in the states so obviously I would only be referring to North American sports.
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
VegasOnAcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,759
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 130
Thanked 188 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
If you wanna get that technical about it.. then Real Madrid > Manchester United

We live in the states so obviously I would only be referring to North American sports.
Man U is worth almost half a billion more then Real Madrid.

I think the Cowboys are worth more then the Yankees too right?
VegasOnAcid is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,244
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,400
Thanked 1,439 Times in 978 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasOnAcid View Post
Man U is worth almost half a billion more then Real Madrid.

I think the Cowboys are worth more then the Yankees too right?
In Pictures: The 10 Most Valuable Teams In Sports - No. 1 Manchester United - Forbes.com

Top 5:
1) Manchester United
2) Dallas Cowboys
3) Washington Redskins (I have no idea how this is even possible lol)
4) New York Yankees
5) New England Patriots

I was a little more baffled that the Texans ranked #10 even though they have never reached the postseason in their short existence.

So I suppose I should change my previous statement to the Yankees are the most successful North American sports franchise.
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Last edited by NYCHitman1; August 30th, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toluca Lake, CA
Posts: 432
 
Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 326
Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasOnAcid View Post
What Jayefefe is asking is not completely clear to me tho. You can be an incredible team historically but have little to no value to the league today. Look at the Islanders or the Blackhawks 3-4 years ago.
I try to take into account history and success but I was going for market size and total number of fans spread across the country also.

The Bears and Cubs havent had successful years recently but if they disappeared many people would be hurting even non fans of those teams..
jayefef is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Sports
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.