Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge > Sports

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Snedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Nexus S, Disgo Tablet
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Default F1 2011

Anyone else here looking forward to the start of Formula 1 2011? Any predictions for the coming season - Schumacher to win an eighth word title perhaps?

Advertisements
Snedd is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

No way on Schumi, I mean Rosberg out classes him most of last year.
Its likely going to be much like last year methinks. Vettel, Alonso and Hamiliton. Im sure Webber will have some moments and maybe even Button. But I think its mostly a 3 horse race. Sad to see Kubica's accident, he could have been a dark horse contender maybe not for the World Title but for race wins at least
__________________
I luv OTB
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
NightHawk877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 640
 
Device(s): AT&T LG G3 AT&T GALAXY S 3 (retired) 2013 Google Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 99
Thanked 126 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Heck yes! Formula 1 is the shiznizzle!
__________________
For God so loved the world that he gave his one an only son that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:16
NightHawk877 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Snedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Nexus S, Disgo Tablet
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
But I think its mostly a 3 horse race.
Well even though he didn't take the title I still rated Alonso as the best driver of 2011. I just wish he would stop throwing his dummy out the car.

A shame that Kubica's drive seems to be going Heidfeld's way, I was really hoping Senna would get it.
Snedd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedd View Post
Well even though he didn't take the title I still rated Alonso as the best driver of 2011. I just wish he would stop throwing his dummy out the car.

A shame that Kubica's drive seems to be going Heidfeld's way, I was really hoping Senna would get it.
I started watching F1 in 1990 and Ayrton Senna was my hero at the time. His death was one of those JFK, World Trade Center movements for me. Anyway, the truth is Bruno is just not the same talent level as his Uncle, kinda like in Nascar with the Earnhardt's. Heidfeld will achieve better results over the course of a season I think there is little question there.
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 34
 
Device(s): LG Optimus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Galo1950
Default

With the new cars/gimmicks(KERS/movable wings), give the season 4-5 races to get a decent picture of capabilities....but, go Ferrari!!! And, get better RK!!!

By the way, I've been following F1 for 50 years...
Galo1950 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galo1950 View Post
With the new cars/gimmicks(KERS/movable wings), give the season 4-5 races to get a decent picture of capabilities....but, go Ferrari!!! And, get better RK!!!

By the way, I've been following F1 for 50 years...
Nice. Back to the 1960's. Wow I bet you've got some great perspective on the evolution of the sport
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 34
 
Device(s): LG Optimus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Galo1950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
Nice. Back to the 1960's. Wow I bet you've got some great perspective on the evolution of the sport
Yes; it sucks Ok, it doesn't suck, but I hate much of the "technology". My biggest dislike is paddle shifters; they are for sissies! I hated it when INDYCAR(THE best racing on the planet) went with them. I also don't think there should be pit stops; have tires and fuel that last an entire race(tire changes would be allowed for punctures and rain). Getting rid of the shifters and pit stops would force the drivers to be, well... DRIVERS. I AM very glad for the safety of the cars, though. Many drivers from previous era's would have never walked away from some of the accidents they have now...

In case you didn't notice, I'm VERY opinionated...but easy to get along with I've been a Ferrari fan since '61(I LOVED the Shark nose look ) and was a Lotus fan also 'til after ACBC died (I kinda' lost it with them then...), and now

Again, Go Ferrari !!!
Galo1950 is offline  
Last edited by Galo1950; February 19th, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galo1950 View Post
Yes; it sucks Ok, it doesn't suck, but I hate much of the "technology". My biggest dislike is paddle shifters; they are for sissies! I hated it when INDYCAR(THE best racing on the planet) went with them. I also don't think there should be pit stops; have tires and fuel that last an entire race(tire changes would be allowed for punctures and rain). Getting rid of the shifters and pit stops would force the drivers to be, well... DRIVERS. I AM very glad for the safety of the cars, though. Many drivers from previos era's would have never walked away from some of the accidents they have now...

In case you didn't notice, I'm VERY opinionated...but easy to get along with I've been a Ferrari fan since '61(I LOVED the Shark nose look ) and was a Lotus fan also 'til after ACBC died (I kinda' lost it with them then...), and now

Again, Go Ferrari !!!
Yeah I've only been following the sport the past 20 years or so but Im a budding F1 historian. So I'd be all ears on things like your opinion of:
which era/decade was your favorite and why?
who your favorites drivers were?

Thanks
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 34
 
Device(s): LG Optimus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Galo1950
Default

which era/decade was your favorite and why?
Oh man, you really wanna' start a fight, huh ...ok, the '60's('til wings arrived). The drivers had to actually drive the cars. After that, any year Schumi won the WDC...dingdingding


who your favorites drivers were?
In F1, I liked Phil Hill, mainly because he drive for Ferrari and was an American, but Jimmy Clark is my all-time #1, favorite driver. After JC, Jochen Rindt, Mario Andretti, Jody Scheckter(I was his son's mailman in 2004-5 and actually got to meet him and play golf with him the morning of the '05 500 Victory Dinner...WAY ), Nigel Mansel and Schumi. Throw in Ronnie Petterson and Kimi Raikonen(sp?), and that is pretty much the list.

Ok, the fights start now

p.s. I gotta' hit the sack so I can make my car payment("bad" buying time planning, but hey, I had to have that little red MR2 Spyder...)...
Galo1950 is offline  
Last edited by Galo1950; February 16th, 2011 at 07:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Snedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Nexus S, Disgo Tablet
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
Heidfeld will achieve better results over the course of a season I think there is little question there.
No doubt those are Renaults thoughts as well but its too early in Senna's career (late starter) to really tell his talent level and there is something evocative about the idea of someone with the Senna name being given the chance to drive a decent car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
which era/decade was your favorite and why?
who your favorites drivers were?
The 80's. Back then you could go to a Grand Prix and more or less go anywhere you liked, the track wasn't completely fenced off like it is now. But mainly because of Mansell and Senna. The first race I went to was the British GP in 1987. We were on the inside near the pit lane entry so I had to watch the highlights on TV to see Mansell's famous "two-step" move on Piquet (no diamond screens in those days) but the response of the crowd when Mansell came into view in the lead with two laps to go was one of those unforgettable moments.
Snedd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galo1950 View Post
which era/decade was your favorite and why?
Oh man, you really wanna' start a fight, huh ...ok, the '60's('til wings arrived). The drivers had to actually drive the cars. After that, any year Schumi won the WDC...dingdingding


who your favorites drivers were?
In F1, I liked Phil Hill, mainly because he drive for Ferrari and was an American, but Jimmy Clark is my all-time #1, favorite driver. After JC, Jochen Rindt, Mario Andretti, Jody Scheckter(I was his son's mailman in 2004-5 and actually got to meet him and play golf with him the morning of the '05 500 Victory Dinner...WAY ), Nigel Mansel and Schumi. Throw in Ronnie Petterson and Kimi Raikonen(sp?), and that is pretty much the list.

Ok, the fights start now

p.s. I gotta' hit the sack so I can make my car payment("bad" buying time planning, but hey, I had to have that little red MR2 Spyder...)...
Cool Good Stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedd View Post
No doubt those are Renaults thoughts as well but its too early in Senna's career (late starter) to really tell his talent level and there is something evocative about the idea of someone with the Senna name being given the chance to drive a decent car.



The 80's. Back then you could go to a Grand Prix and more or less go anywhere you liked, the track wasn't completely fenced off like it is now. But mainly because of Mansell and Senna. The first race I went to was the British GP in 1987. We were on the inside near the pit lane entry so I had to watch the highlights on TV to see Mansell's famous "two-step" move on Piquet (no diamond screens in those days) but the response of the crowd when Mansell came into view in the lead with two laps to go was one of those unforgettable moments.
See thats my point Bruno only has the name and not the talent. I mean how many times last year was he outqualified and out raced by his teammate. The genuine superstars shine even with inferior equipment. His uncle did. When Alonso was driving the Minardi you knew he was going to be good. When Schumi 1st drove the Jordan you just knew. Im not Anti-Bruno but I do believe you put him in a Red Bull or Ferrari and he never wins a race or gets pole
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Snedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Nexus S, Disgo Tablet
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
See thats my point Bruno only has the name and not the talent. I mean how many times last year was he outqualified and out raced by his teammate.
Well too many HRT DNFs for the race results to mean much but for qualy:

Senna vs Chandhok: 7 - 2
Senna vs Yamamoto: 5 - 1
Senna vs Klien: 1 - 2

Snedd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedd View Post
Well too many HRT DNFs for the race results to mean much but for qualy:

Senna vs Chandhok: 7 - 2
Senna vs Yamamoto: 5 - 1
Senna vs Klien: 1 - 2

Yeah put any true talent there and do you think any of those guys outqualifies Vettel or Alonso in the same car? Again Im not anti-Senna just saying he will never be a World Champ and likely never win a race. I mean I almost hope Im wrong but I dont think I am. He doesnt even have a seat this year
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 101
 
Device(s): Nexus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Later :)
Default

Looking forward to it! Coming from Vietnam where it's difficult to watch EPL in English, F1 has become a bigger addiction of late
Vietnam720 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Aatos.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: West Coast USA
Posts: 498
 
Device(s): Captivate, Droid X, HTC Inspire, Nexus S, SGS II, Infuse 4G, with more on the way...
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 67
Thanked 119 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Wow! Just came across this terrific thread.

I've been a big enthusiast since 1975.

More later, I stayed up too late playing with my new HTC Inspire

Cheers
Aatos.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jayjay1122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: I'll be where I'm at!
Posts: 1,456
 
Device(s): GS4
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 352
Thanked 338 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Loving this thread guys!!
It is really a shame about Bahrain but it looks like they are trying to reschedule it.

Been an F1 enthusiast since the 70's (growing up in a house with Italian born parents, I really didn't have a choice :-)) and have always been a Ferrari fan but as I got older I began to appreciate more of the talent of the drivers.

I agree with some of the others here that Alonso is one of the best pure drivers out there as is Button and Barrichello!
jayjay1122 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

I think this year is going to come down to the same two drivers with a different outcome. Alonso v. Vettel with Alonso taking the crown this year.

Granted, its just testing and teams are driving cars that look a lot different from how they will look in Australia in a couple weeks. That being said, Red Bull and Ferrari have been the class of each of the tests. Mercedes has been having a LOT of technical issues with their car, McLaren has as well not to mention that they haven't even closely approached what the Ferrari's and Red Bull's are doing on pace.

My predictions for the season are a fight between Ferrari and Red Bull for the top spot with McLaren the clear number three team right now. Renault and Merc will be battling for the four spot and Lotus will join Williams, Sauber and Toro Rosso for middle of the pack. HRT and Virgin-Marussa will battle it out for back of the pack.
__________________
Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus, LTE
ROM: JB Sourcery-V2.3
Kernel: 3.0.31-g396c4df
Retired Devices: HTC Incredible, Apple iPad 2
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Aatos.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: West Coast USA
Posts: 498
 
Device(s): Captivate, Droid X, HTC Inspire, Nexus S, SGS II, Infuse 4G, with more on the way...
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 67
Thanked 119 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay1122 View Post
Loving this thread guys!!
It is really a shame about Bahrain but it looks like they are trying to reschedule it.

Been an F1 enthusiast since the 70's (growing up in a house with Italian born parents, I really didn't have a choice :-)) and have always been a Ferrari fan but as I got older I began to appreciate more of the talent of the drivers.

I agree with some of the others here that Alonso is one of the best pure drivers out there as is Button and Barrichello!
I read Bernie said there was no room to reschedule Bahrain, I sure hope you're right.

Your take on Alonso, Button & Barrichello is right on. My favs? Alonso & Barrichello.

I'm really enthused about this season even though as we know often times it's more of a parade than a race... Heh!

Cheers...
Aatos.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

It is a shame about Bahrain as now we're all waiting 2 more weeks for our F1 fix. Im very curious to see how Button fairs this year. I'll give him a mini-pass last year since Lewis had more familiarity with the team. But clearly Lewis was quicker in that car. I fear for both Mark Webber and Massa this year. Massa is clearly a #2 and despite all the apparent fair play from Red Bull last year I think Webber might be pushed into that same status this year.
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
It is a shame about Bahrain as now we're all waiting 2 more weeks for our F1 fix. Im very curious to see how Button fairs this year. I'll give him a mini-pass last year since Lewis had more familiarity with the team. But clearly Lewis was quicker in that car. I fear for both Mark Webber and Massa this year. Massa is clearly a #2 and despite all the apparent fair play from Red Bull last year I think Webber might be pushed into that same status this year.
As much as I like Jenson, I think in 2009 he found himself in a lucky position. Of the three teams that brought the double decker diffusers to the table to kick off the season Brawn by far had the most balanced car of the three. By the times other teams caught up with their own diffuser designs five races in Jenson had already won the first five races.
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Check six!
 
Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Inverness, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,896
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 2,746
Thanked 11,364 Times in 5,766 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Slug slugbrem@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galo1950 View Post
Getting rid of the shifters and pit stops would force the drivers to be, well... DRIVERS.
Ah Galo, you're a man after my own heart. Remember the good old days when racing was a wheel-to-wheel battle of attrition, and winning was as much about skill as speed i.e. managing your fuel and tyres for an entire race, and "race strategy" changed by the minute depending on what the other guys were doing? Happy days....

Quote:
I AM very glad for the safety of the cars, though. Many drivers from previous era's would have never walked away from some of the accidents they have now...
As someone who watched Ronnie Petterson die I can only agree. However, with cars and circuits now safer, surely it's time to reintroduce some of the old F1 spirit?
Slug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 34
 
Device(s): LG Optimus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Galo1950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
Ah Galo, you're a man after my own heart. Remember the good old days when racing was a wheel-to-wheel battle of attrition, and winning was as much about skill as speed i.e. managing your fuel and tyres for an entire race, and "race strategy" changed by the minute depending on what the other guys were doing? Happy days....

And it's not so much about enormous horsepower, but car control. "Race strategy" was keeping the car on the track in front of your competitors , not when to come in for tires.



Quote:
As someone who watched Ronnie Petterson die I can only agree. However, with cars and circuits now safer, surely it's time to reintroduce some of the old F1 spirit?
Jochen Rindt, Jo Siffert, Piers Courage(the list goes on...) too...but the only way I see the "old spirit" returning is do away with all the electronic aids for the sake of dictating to the driver. The only contact the pit should have with the driver is the pit sign and only IF there is a dangerous mechanical problem with the car(from any sensor on the car), by radio. If a driver can't tell a tire is losing pressure or a brake is fading, send them to CRASHCAR...
Galo1950 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gallandof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: south of boston
Posts: 1,927
 
Device(s): Droid x CM7, droid 1 CM7, Dinc 2, Droid Razr rooted debloated, Galaxy Nexus rooted&unlocked, xoom, d
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 161
Thanked 335 Times in 214 Posts
michael.cristoferi@gmail
Default

I wish I followed F1 better, as its my favorite motorsport, but I have never had the time. Hopefully this season I can actually catch a lot of it.
gallandof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallandof View Post
I wish I followed F1 better, as its my favorite motorsport, but I have never had the time. Hopefully this season I can actually catch a lot of it.
Yeah some of those race times arent very USA friendly. But like anything in life we make time for things we truly find valuable. Until last year I didnt watch many races during 2007-2009 myself. But for whatever reason I returned to the 4-5am wake ups this last season. I remember when I was a younger living in Hawaii and having to wake up at 2am or just not go to sleep at all
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 34
 
Device(s): LG Optimus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Galo1950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallandof View Post
I wish I followed F1 better, as its my favorite motorsport, but I have never had the time. Hopefully this season I can actually catch a lot of it.
Remember to take some no-doze, whether you watch it live or recorded
What I mean by that is I wish there was more real racing and passing ON THE TRACK, not in the pits...

Do enjoy!!!

And saps, just remember you WERE living in Hawaii
Galo1950 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 101
 
Device(s): Nexus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Later :)
Default

Not very into the technical stuff as much as I like. Thus in this case, people like me from the pure spectator point of view, love to support the underdog Button
Vietnam720 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galo1950 View Post
Remember to take some no-doze, whether you watch it live or recorded
What I mean by that is I wish there was more real racing and passing ON THE TRACK, not in the pits...

Do enjoy!!!

And saps, just remember you WERE living in Hawaii
sigh yeah I know
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Aatos.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: West Coast USA
Posts: 498
 
Device(s): Captivate, Droid X, HTC Inspire, Nexus S, SGS II, Infuse 4G, with more on the way...
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 67
Thanked 119 Times in 71 Posts
Default

I grew up racing, working my way from 1/4 midgets, Karts, full midgets, sprint cars, SCCA, my focus then to my overwhelming passion, RoadRacing. Formula Ford onwards thru the ranks.

Having divorced myself from racing a few years ago, I remain a hard core fan. Yet that said, I have trouble remaining as enthused with Formula One, my deepest passion. As much as I long for the "good old days" it's the technology that keeps my interest.

But it's a love / hate relationship as I watch the brilliant engineers do amazing things.

The down side (and it's huge) is the near "autopilot factor" as the cars become automated telemetry controlled road rockets.

I'm very grateful for the safety improvements, but woefully bored at the "new pit strategies" that effect the outcome of the race, which all too often mimics a parade.

Such is the price of racing, technology, and politics.

So... I remain connected and as enthused as possible, as I am by nature a positive person.

Here's to an interesting 2011 Season!

Cheers ...
Aatos.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Parade is right. I'd love to think we'll see more on track passing this year. Doubtful
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
SoFLO
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Great thread! I finally have Speed channel so I can watch the races properly I think the usual suspects from McLaren, Ferrari, and RBR are once again going to mostly dominate the season's headlines but I hope I'm wrong. The more interesting battle would be at the second tier between Mercedes, Renault (shame about Kubica!) and now possibly Williams. Love the clean new rear end for Williams.
 
Last edited by SoFLO; March 3rd, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Snedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Nexus S, Disgo Tablet
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Not too long to go now. Looking like Ferrari and Red Bull will be the cars to beat at the start of the season - here's hoping that Alonso can get title number 3

Not sure what Bernie is going on about with the fake rain idea - I think he was being a bit tongue in cheek with that one!
Snedd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Yeah McLaren looks off the pace but who knows. Last year was highly competitive. Id be disappointed if this year was just Alonso vs Vettel, which it very well might be
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedd View Post
Not sure what Bernie is going on about with the fake rain idea - I think he was being a bit tongue in cheek with that one!
Worst...idea...ever.

Almost as bad as switching to the turbo four's in 2013 (should be switching to turbo six's IMO).
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:58 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 101
 
Device(s): Nexus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Later :)
Default

Just about 1 more week to F1 2011 guys
Vietnam720 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Snedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Nexus S, Disgo Tablet
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Pretty good kick off to the season, likin' the new BBC commentary team of Brundle and Coulthard a lot.

Vettel and Red Bull absolutely stunning plus some great drives from Hamilton, Kobayashi and Petrov. But Ferrari! - what's gone wrong since winter testing? Oh well still early days yet. Most entertaining drive goes to Adrian Sutil getting it wrong with the new DRS, doing a 360 and keeping it out of the wall.

Nick Heidfeld and Michael Schumacher - oh dear!

Really looking forward to the race tomorrow morning now. Might give this a try as well: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.formula1.twothousandelevenapplicati on
Snedd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Adauth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Orleans
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,665
 
Device(s): LG G2 , LG G Pad 8.3 GPE
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 43
Thanked 204 Times in 172 Posts
Default

Is this the racing Danica Patrick does, besides the nationwide series? Cause if so I hope she comes in last everytime, and no not cause shes a woman, but because of all the endorsements and special treatment she gets because shes a cute young female. Win something then talk.
Adauth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Turbojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mesa, Az
Gender: Male
Posts: 128
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 16gb, LG Optimus C
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

No, Danica drives Indycar. I used to root for her until she started showing her true self. Basically a spoiled brat. I also find her rather homely unless shes had a pro spend a few hours doing her clothes, hair and makeup. Put lipstick on a pig and you get a pretty pig.......

Was really bummed out tonight because the Formula 1 live timing page was down. You'd think they would have had enough time to make sure it worked for the first race of the season!

Joe
Turbojoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Well I know its a long season and you cannot predict based on one race. But it sure looks like Vettel vs the field now. 12+ win season is not unreasonable given his talent and that car. Time will tell
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Turbojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mesa, Az
Gender: Male
Posts: 128
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 16gb, LG Optimus C
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

As long as he can show the maturity to avoid needless accidents he's going to be tough to beat again. Not my favorite driver or team but I certainly have to respect was he's done and will be capable of in the future.

Joe
Turbojoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Snedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Nexus S, Disgo Tablet
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Yup, Vettel was in a class of his own again. Kudos to Petrov for getting his first podium. Thought Alonso did a fairly solid job to fightback from a poor start, but feel a bit gutted for Perez losing his points after a brilliant debut drive nursing his tires for only one pit stop.

If Heidfeld carries on like that, Renault will have to give Senna a one or two race chance to prove himself in the black and gold cars.

All in all a pretty good start to the season.
Snedd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedd View Post
Yup, Vettel was in a class of his own again. Kudos to Petrov for getting his first podium. Thought Alonso did a fairly solid job to fightback from a poor start, but feel a bit gutted for Perez losing his points after a brilliant debut drive nursing his tires for only one pit stop.

If Heidfeld carries on like that, Renault will have to give Senna a one or two race chance to prove himself in the black and gold cars.

All in all a pretty good start to the season.
Yeah if Petrov did that drive I can only imagine what Kubica could have done if healthy.
Not to be a hater but I'll go on record predicting that was Petrov's one and only podium of this season. I mean kudos to him. But to get there again I dont see it happening. Tough to beat 4 of the 6 Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren's. We'll see I guess.
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedd View Post
But Ferrari! - what's gone wrong since winter testing?
I would argue nothing. Asside from Seb's blistering early pace, the pace setter for the rest of the day was Alonso. With ten more laps he would have over taken Petrov for the final podium spot. He had a real bad start though and got squeezed off all the way into ninth before screaming up the board.

I don't know if anyone has noticed the news yet...but the NASCAR truck series is getting a new driver this summer...
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Snedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Nexus S, Disgo Tablet
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
Yeah if Petrov did that drive I can only imagine what Kubica could have done if healthy.
Yup, we are missing one of the best talents around at the moment. Hope he gets well enough to start driving again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
I would argue nothing...
Yeah not a bad performance, Alonso fought back well from a bad start. My comment was after qualy and before the race. Ferrari's were off the pace for most of qualy I thought.
Snedd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedd View Post

Yeah not a bad performance, Alonso fought back well from a bad start. My comment was after qualy and before the race. Ferrari's were off the pace for most of qualy I thought.
Everybody was; Vettel had what? Almost 3/4's of a second on Hamilton? I think they said it was the largest gap between pole and second in like six years or something like that. Thing is, qualifying isn't going to be as important this year with the way those Pirelli's degrade. I honestly think that Perez's race was an anomalie in terms of tire wear.
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Snedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Nexus S, Disgo Tablet
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
Everybody was; Vettel had what? Almost 3/4's of a second on Hamilton? I think they said it was the largest gap between pole and second in like six years or something like that. Thing is, qualifying isn't going to be as important this year with the way those Pirelli's degrade. I honestly think that Perez's race was an anomalie in terms of tire wear.
I was pleasantly surprised that Alonso managed to put it fifth on the grid. I was half expecting him to end up behind Petrov.

EDIT: As for Perez I really don't know enough about him to judge but time will tell, for a rookie beating a more experienced team mate in your first race is a pretty good start. Still felt gutted for him having his points removed.
Snedd is offline  
Last edited by Snedd; March 29th, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedd View Post
I was pleasantly surprised that Alonso managed to put it fifth on the grid. I was half expecting him to end up behind Petrov.
I was honestly surprised he was that far back, and even more surprised both McLaren's qualified in front of him.
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Snedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Nexus S, Disgo Tablet
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
I was honestly surprised he was that far back, and even more surprised both McLaren's qualified in front of him.
After winter testing sure, but not after the Ferrari's performance in Q1 and Q2.
Snedd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedd View Post
After winter testing sure, but not after the Ferrari's performance in Q1 and Q2.
I actually still have practice and qualifying DVR'd and haven't watched them yet so I couldn't say.
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
I don't know if anyone has noticed the news yet...but the NASCAR truck series is getting a new driver this summer...
Yeah not sure why Kimi is starting in the Truck series. His talent should be good enough for the Nationwide like Montoya did. His key is getting a decent team. While not as bad as F1. In general, only a few cars/teams actually win races and contend for titles.
Here's what I'd like to see [it'll never happen]. After Dale Jr goes winless again this season Kimi takes that seat in 2012. That's a car/team he could win with at Hendrick.
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge > Sports
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.