Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Sports

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 743
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 120 Times in 100 Posts
Default Most dominate player in their sport?

Who do you think is the most dominant player to ever play in (professional) sports? I'm not talking about the most talented or atheletic. I want to know who is the most dominant. Some one who is head and shoulders above the rest in their sport.

My vote goes to Wayne Gretzky in hockey. Career wise he has accomplished so much more than any other hockey player ever played. Comparing that to other atheletes in other sports, he stands as the most dominating.

Thoughts?

dylo22 is offline  
Last edited by dylo22; May 10th, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dylo22 For This Useful Post:
AisSharp (June 27th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ethomas716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Motorola Defy
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

ethomas716 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ethomas716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Motorola Defy
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

ethomas716 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethomas716 For This Useful Post:
intrdrgn (July 3rd, 2011), VegasOnAcid (May 14th, 2011)
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
ssick92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Posts: 289
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Isn't the word "dominant"?
__________________
Samsung Galaxy S4 - Verizon
Nexus 7 32gb + Data
Always rooted, Always changing
ssick92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 743
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 120 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post
Isn't the word "dominant"?
yeah my bad
dylo22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 743
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 120 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethomas716 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethomas716 View Post

I guess I wasn't really clear with my question. I meant who is the most dominate athelete to play in any sport. If you had to pick one, who would it be be and why?
dylo22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
ssick92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Posts: 289
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Default

If Tiger gets back to the young him, then I think he has the potential to take this title, but I doubt he will.
ssick92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 58
 
Device(s): SGH-I896
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Ichapp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,009
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 208
Thanked 572 Times in 450 Posts
Default

For tennis, it's Federer. In his prime, he seems like he's not even trying while winning most of his Grand Slams with ease. Short of Nadal on clay, no one seemed close. Age seems to have caught up with him now. Looks like Sampras will keep his record of most total weeks ranked #1 in the world by 1 week. Federer still has the record for most consecutive weeks at #1 and most grand slam semis by a mile. He also has the most grand slam titles as well. I didn't really was into Tennis until about 10 years ago. I'm glad I got into tennis in time to see Federer through his prime.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Schumi
__________________
Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus, LTE
ROM: JB Sourcery-V2.3
Kernel: 3.0.31-g396c4df
Retired Devices: HTC Incredible, Apple iPad 2
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 743
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 120 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Federer is definately one of the greatest tennis player ever, but I don't think he's the most dominant. Like you said sampras is just as impressive as Federer was when he was in his prime.

Tiger is good, but until he wins more majors than Jack Nicklaus, I can't consider him as the most dominant golfer that ever played.

Jordan is one the best basketball player that ever played. However, stats wise, he's not that impressive compared to other players in different eras. I think Jordan change the way the game is played more than he was dominant.

I can see a case for shawn white. It seems like he always wins gold on super pipe and slopestyle. It's hard to judge right now because he's still young. If he continues to dominant then yes he is right up there.
dylo22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
jpovis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. Louis County, MO
Posts: 113
 
Device(s): Samsung Infuse i997 Rom: Infused 2.2.2 GB 2.3.3 Kernel: Infusion GB 1.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichapp View Post
Not a sport. This is a judged competition!
__________________
Samsung Infuse
Infused 2.2.2 GB 2.3.3
Infusion GB 1.1

jpovis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
jpovis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. Louis County, MO
Posts: 113
 
Device(s): Samsung Infuse i997 Rom: Infused 2.2.2 GB 2.3.3 Kernel: Infusion GB 1.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

jpovis is offline  
Last edited by jpovis; May 11th, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpovis View Post
Sports, not drinking games.

Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
novacane (OFWGKTA)
 
woop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The land of palm trees, sunny skies, and sandy beaches
Posts: 5,053
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 776
Thanked 1,547 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Ali.
__________________
GOOD posts:
BAD posts:



PLEASE READ ME!
woop is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woop For This Useful Post:
noah way (June 9th, 2011)
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,237
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,400
Thanked 1,433 Times in 975 Posts
Default

For anyone that watches MLB.. you know what I'm talking about

__________________
I talk to corporate like a BAWSS!

DEVICE ► Nexus 5 / Nexus 7
ROM ► Dirty Unicorns
KERNEL ► Franco / Glitch
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Last edited by NYCHitman1; May 13th, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S. St. Louis County, MO
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): HTC EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 54
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Maybe its because I am from St. Louis, but with baseball I have to go with Albert Puljos. At least 30HR every year for his first 10 years in the majors? They recently ran an article here in STL that said Albert accounts for so much offense that if he does leave and we don't get someone that can hit to replace him we will not win 70 games the following season.
chum1600 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,237
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,400
Thanked 1,433 Times in 975 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1600 View Post
Maybe its because I am from St. Louis, but with baseball I have to go with Albert Puljos. At least 30HR every year for his first 10 years in the majors? They recently ran an article here in STL that said Albert accounts for so much offense that if he does leave and we don't get someone that can hit to replace him we will not win 70 games the following season.
Pujols is a monster and probably the offensive player of the decade but I cannot put forth a vote for him because of the fact that he's only been around for such a short time. A guy like Nolan Ryan destroyed the opposition for 27 years. 7 no-hitters!? Seriously? He pitched longer than I have been alive and was the best in his craft.
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
 
shawn1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,174
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - 32GB Gold iPhone 5s - 16GB Nexus 7 (2nd gen) - Chromecast
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 186
Thanked 290 Times in 208 Posts
Default

There's only one answer to this thread



7 consecutive Tour de France victories ... nuff said
__________________
"إنه لمن الصعب أن تفشل ، ولكن الأمر أسوأ أبدا أن يكون حاول أن تنجح."
shawn1224 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 58
 
Device(s): SGH-I896
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Arguing semantics, I see, jpovis. While there is a good split about that, in this particular instance I'm going to throw my lot in with the IOC.

Shawn1224 has a fantastic contender. Lance Armstrong is an absolute beast.
Ichapp is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #21 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 752
 
Device(s): Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 77
Thanked 180 Times in 126 Posts
Default

my vote:

batgeek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
VegasOnAcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,759
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 130
Thanked 188 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylo22 View Post
Who do you think is the most dominant player to ever play in (professional) sports? I'm not talking about the most talented or atheletic. I want to know who is the most dominant. Some one who is head and shoulders above the rest in their sport.

My vote goes to Wayne Gretzky in hockey. Career wise he has accomplished so much more than any other hockey player ever played. Comparing that to other atheletes in other sports, he stands as the most dominating.

Thoughts?
The thing about hockey tho, is that the game has changed so much. Gretzky is no doubt incredible, but his stats are skewed and untouchable now just due to the evolution of the game. Mario was better then Wanye anyways.
VegasOnAcid is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VegasOnAcid For This Useful Post:
TheGoatLantern (August 30th, 2011)
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 743
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 120 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasOnAcid View Post
The thing about hockey tho, is that the game has changed so much. Gretzky is no doubt incredible, but his stats are skewed and untouchable now just due to the evolution of the game. Mario was better then Wanye anyways.
You could make that argument about any sport. It's constantly evolving - better equipment, new rules, better training, bigger players etc... That still doesn't negate the magnitude of dominance Gretzky had in hockey. There are numerous articles on the internet where Gretzky's numbers were adjusted to give a more fair comparison between players in different eras, and he still came out on top by a good margin. Not all of his records stood of course, but a lot of them still did.

Being able to stay healthy and having longevity is part of the equation to being dominant. Unfortunately, Lemieux didn't have this. His battle with cancer and back injuries have kept him off the ice. I don't doubt that if Lemieux was healthy through out his career, he would have probably broken a lot of Gretzky's records. Too bad we will never know.
dylo22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 743
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 120 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1224 View Post
There's only one answer to this thread



7 consecutive Tour de France victories ... nuff said
I would probably put him in my top 10, but not number 1. Just the fact there are so many controversies about him taking performance enhancing substance during his reign sort or diminish his accomplishments.
dylo22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East coast
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Even though I am not a fan of the NFL I think Johnny Unitas was the most dominant player in his sport. He completely changed the game of Pro football.
Yanks61 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: at your house when your not there
Posts: 496
 
Device(s): Vibrant(sounds so ***) handed down to the wife, now a Sensation and maybe a Hercules or GS2 in the f
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 44
Thanked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethomas716 View Post
Co-Signed

No one man has changed the way any game has been played or has more influence on other athletes in different sports as MJ. We've all heard the it before "He is the Michael Jordan of __________"

Jordan, G.O.A.T.
jree is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jree For This Useful Post:
jroc (May 28th, 2011), NYCHitman1 (May 16th, 2011)
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1224 View Post
There's only one answer to this thread



7 consecutive Tour de France victories ... nuff said
EPO...nuff said.
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Great debate topic. In the end there will never be consensus and even with the same sport often times you must define dominance by era's. I mean you can say Jordan but for his era Wilt dominated more so per se. Or even Bill Russell and his nine rings in 11 years. Tiger is a nice choice for his era [which is of course now over] in golf. Schumi was a nice for his decade of dominance in F1, now its clearly Vettel. Baseball is so subjective and its almost pointless to list anyone. Frankly, by definition of dominance I'd have to say someone like Mo Rivera for his era.

Anyway, great topic.
__________________
I luv OTB
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saps For This Useful Post:
jroc (May 28th, 2011)
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,237
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,400
Thanked 1,433 Times in 975 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
Frankly, by definition of dominance I'd have to say someone like Mo Rivera for his era.

Anyway, great topic.
Best relief pitcher of all-time
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
 
shawn1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,174
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - 32GB Gold iPhone 5s - 16GB Nexus 7 (2nd gen) - Chromecast
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 186
Thanked 290 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylo22 View Post
I would probably put him in my top 10, but not number 1. Just the fact there are so many controversies about him taking performance enhancing substance during his reign sort or diminish his accomplishments.
There's no smoking gun like the BALCO case. He has never ever tested positive for performance enhancing drugs .. not once. It's more hate than controversy if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
EPO...nuff said.
EPO was part of his post-operative treatment for chemotherapy
shawn1224 is offline  
Last edited by shawn1224; May 16th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #31 (permalink)
Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
 
shawn1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,174
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - 32GB Gold iPhone 5s - 16GB Nexus 7 (2nd gen) - Chromecast
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 186
Thanked 290 Times in 208 Posts
Default

I also think Novak Djokovic is going to be a beast in Tennis. I've seen some of the best in their prime like Boris Becker, Ivan Lendl, Pete Sampres, Andre Agassi and I've never seen anyone dominant with such a ferocious cross like Djokovic does. I think he's going to be special.
shawn1224 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #32 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,237
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,400
Thanked 1,433 Times in 975 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1224 View Post
I also think Novak Djokovic is going to be a beast in Tennis. I've seen some of the best in their prime like Boris Becker, Ivan Lendl, Pete Sampres, Andre Agassi and I've never seen anyone dominant with such a ferocious cross like Djokovic does. I think he's going to be special.
No Federer in this list?
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California Love
Posts: 274
 
Device(s): Motorola Atrix 4G (forever lost), Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Michael Jordan for Basketball
Joe Montana for American Football
log1c is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1224 View Post
There's no smoking gun like the BALCO case. He has never ever tested positive for performance enhancing drugs .. not once. It's more hate than controversy if you ask me.



EPO was part of his post-operative treatment for chemotherapy
I know EPO was a part of his treatment. However, I do believe he continued to use it, and other performance enhancers well into his Tour run. There's just too many coincidences that its hard NOT to think he didn't use. Three of his former teamates busted for it, the rampant use of them in cycling.
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
 
shawn1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,174
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - 32GB Gold iPhone 5s - 16GB Nexus 7 (2nd gen) - Chromecast
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 186
Thanked 290 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
No Federer in this list?
Ah yes, Federer is definitely up there, as well as Nadal, McEnroe, Connors and a few others.
shawn1224 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
 
shawn1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,174
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - 32GB Gold iPhone 5s - 16GB Nexus 7 (2nd gen) - Chromecast
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 186
Thanked 290 Times in 208 Posts
Default

On another note was there anybody more dominant than Mike Tyson before he lost to Buster Douglas.

That was one of the most dominant runs ever in any sport I believe.
shawn1224 is offline  
Last edited by shawn1224; May 16th, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ballisticn8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 760
 
Device(s): VZW Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 190
Thanked 157 Times in 97 Posts
Default

MotoGP and Valentino Rossi anyone? 9 World Championships won.

He placed third in the 2010 season in which he suffered a compound break of his tibia after crashing at 120mph... He returned to racing 41 days after the crash and for his first race back finished fourth.













Also a contendor:

Michael Phelps, I'd post pics but I dont think anyone (including myself) really wants to google image search for him and get a bunch of speedo pictures back *shivers*
__________________
*Insert witty line here*
ballisticn8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #38 (permalink)
Dark Jedi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticn8 View Post
MotoGP and Valentino Rossi anyone? 9 World Championships won.

He placed third in the 2010 season in which he suffered a compound break of his tibia after crashing at 120mph... He returned to racing 41 days after the crash and for his first race back finished fourth.













Also a contendor:

Michael Phelps, I'd post pics but I dont think anyone (including myself) really wants to google image search for him and get a bunch of speedo pictures back *shivers*
this better?
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 978
 
Device(s): VZW-Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 105
Thanked 561 Times in 312 Posts
Default

*All of these are assumed to be in their prime*

Basketball-Michael Jordan without a doubt
Boxing-Ali
Golf-Tiger Woods
Baseball-Babe Ruth
Football-Barry Sanders
Hockey-Wayne Gretzky
zerocool79346 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #40 (permalink)
Dark Jedi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

For the NFL I would say Barry Sanders. For the simple fact that look at the numbers he put up with having the worse Offensive line in the history of the NFL. Just think if he had an actual good line the numbers he would of put up. Plus he left early in his career because the lions wouldnt trade him.
 
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #41 (permalink)
Dark Jedi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool79346 View Post
*All of these are assumed to be in their prime*

Basketball-Michael Jordan without a doubt
Boxing-Ali
Golf-Tiger Woods
Baseball-Babe Ruth
Football-Barry Sanders
Hockey-Wayne Gretzky
Golf I would have to say Arnold Palmer.

Baseball Mantle as ruth if he didnt get a homerun he was thrown out.
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #42 (permalink)
Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
 
shawn1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,174
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - 32GB Gold iPhone 5s - 16GB Nexus 7 (2nd gen) - Chromecast
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 186
Thanked 290 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Jedi View Post
For the NFL I would say Barry Sanders. For the simple fact that look at the numbers he put up with having the worse Offensive line in the history of the NFL. Just think if he had an actual good line the numbers he would of put up. Plus he left early in his career because the lions wouldnt trade him.
His line wasn't great but they weren't that bad in run blocking, plus he also had Lomas Brown, a 7x All-Pro and 7x Pro Bowler who is arguably one of the best LTs to play the game.
shawn1224 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: at your house when your not there
Posts: 496
 
Device(s): Vibrant(sounds so ***) handed down to the wife, now a Sensation and maybe a Hercules or GS2 in the f
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 44
Thanked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by log1c View Post
Michael Jordan for Basketball
Joe Montana for American Football
Jordan yes, Joe Montana, not so sure. This is a quote from Bill Walsh himself:

"Joe Montana was part of a system. Dan Marino was the system." -Bill Walsh
jree is offline  
Last edited by jree; May 17th, 2011 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #44 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,237
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,400
Thanked 1,433 Times in 975 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jree View Post
Jordan yes, Joe Montana, not so sure. This is a quote from Bill Walsh himself:

"Joe Montana was part of a system. Dan Marino was the system." -Bill Walsh
I was going to state the same quote. If anything, Marino or Peyton Manning would be my choice for the NFL.
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NYCHitman1 For This Useful Post:
jree (May 17th, 2011)
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 743
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 120 Times in 100 Posts
Default

We might have to scratch Lance armstrong off this list. Cheaters don't count.
dylo22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:10 PM   #46 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,237
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,400
Thanked 1,433 Times in 975 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylo22 View Post
We might have to scratch Lance Armstrong off this list. Cheaters don't count.
I don't take hearsay as proof. Now if he tested positive for PED usage during his competitions, that's a completely different story. Anyone can say someone cheated. Prove that he/she cheated and we'll come to an agreement.
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:41 PM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 743
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 120 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
I don't take hearsay as proof. Now if he tested positive for PED usage during his competitions, that's a completely different story. Anyone can say someone cheated. Prove that he/she cheated and we'll come to an agreement.
proof or no proof, if his own teammates are saying he's taking PED, then there's reasonable doubt. Like Barry Bonds, no one can prove that he had taken steroids, but there's enough doubt to taint any of his records.
dylo22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:27 PM   #48 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,237
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,400
Thanked 1,433 Times in 975 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylo22 View Post
proof or no proof, if his own teammates are saying he's taking PED, then there's reasonable doubt. Like Barry Bonds, no one can prove that he had taken steroids, but there's enough doubt to taint any of his records.

The difference is that we all watched what became of Barry Bonds. Within a few short years, he was this hulking monster. Can't say the same about Lance. All I'm saying is that I want some proof that he actually did it. For all we know, these could be some disgruntled and spiteful ex-teammates of his.
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 11:42 PM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 743
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 120 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
The difference is that we all watched what became of Barry Bonds. Within a few short years, he was this hulking monster. Can't say the same about Lance. All I'm saying is that I want some proof that he actually did it. For all we know, these could be some disgruntled and spiteful ex-teammates of his.
Well in that case, then we should put Bonds on the list. I mean we don't have prove right? Remember Bonds took straight up steroids which has a more noticeable effect. Lance was accused of blood doping which is an endurance enhancing drug that isn't physically noticeable. In either case, it is still cheating.

My problem with Lance is, why are there suspicion in the first place? If he really did what he did by his own talent and skill, then there shouldn't be any accusations. I mean nobody ever accused Gretzky, Jordan or Federer for taking PEDs.

Now in Lance's defense, I do think that most of the top cyclists were taking some sort of peds. Cycling is just as dirty as baseball was a few years ago. The difference is, the stuff they take are much harder to detect.
dylo22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:48 AM   #50 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,237
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,400
Thanked 1,433 Times in 975 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylo22 View Post
Well in that case, then we should put Bonds on the list. I mean we don't have prove right? Remember Bonds took straight up steroids which has a more noticeable effect. Lance was accused of blood doping which is an endurance enhancing drug that isn't physically noticeable. In either case, it is still cheating.

My problem with Lance is, why are there suspicion in the first place? If he really did what he did by his own talent and skill, then there shouldn't be any accusations. I mean nobody ever accused Gretzky, Jordan or Federer for taking PEDs.

Now in Lance's defense, I do think that most of the top cyclists were taking some sort of peds. Cycling is just as dirty as baseball was a few years ago. The difference is, the stuff they take are much harder to detect.
I was referring to the doubt that has been shrouded over Bonds.
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Sports
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.