Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Hero (Sprint) > Sprint Hero - Tips and Tricks

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #51 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
greatcasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to greatcasa
Default

My software is up to date with my awake time being at 37% of an uptime of 1:35 minutes.

greatcasa is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
nick325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 491
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 197 Times in 41 Posts
Default

How much talk time with your 8 hours before dying is there?
__________________
EVO - ToastRoot - OCWidget for battery

Please click the Thanks to the right if I was helpful

Click here for this forums rules, guidelines and zero tolerance policy
nick325i is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #53 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
greatcasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to greatcasa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick325i View Post
How much talk time with your 8 hours before dying is there?
At this point I'm not even using the phone for phone calls. I added a third line to my account because the phone was $99 vs. $179 to upgrade my out of contract number. I'm just seeing if I like the phone and haven't even given out the new number yet. Besides 2 short less than 5 minute phone calls I have not even used this phone for talking. The longest thing I've done on it was about a 45 minute yahoo IM session yesterday. The other stuff has just been minor messing around with the phone.
greatcasa is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greatcasa For This Useful Post:
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #54 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
TF1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 676
 
Device(s): - EVO - CM 7: Nightly #88 W/ WIMAX!! SavageZenNOSBC Amon Ra 2.3.3 OC'd 1075 AVG 48 Hrs/
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 280 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatcasa View Post
At this point I'm not even using the phone for phone calls. I added a third line to my account because the phone was $99 vs. $179 to upgrade my out of contract number. I'm just seeing if I like the phone and haven't even given out the new number yet. Besides 2 short less than 5 minute phone calls I have not even used this phone for talking. The longest thing I've done on it was about a 45 minute yahoo IM session yesterday. The other stuff has just been minor messing around with the phone.

This is a simple diagnoses, at least on the surface. If you're experiencing such poor life there IS a reason why.

how many charge cycles have you done?
good or bad coverage? Evdo or 1x?
screen brightness
screen timeout
update apps
memory leaks, have you updated MR

If all of these are within reasonable parameters then you need to download Spare Parts b/c something is keeping your phone from entering "sleeP" which puts the cpu into a power save mode. Get that, then open spare parts and check battery information, change drop down to "partial wake usage" and find what apps are keeping phone from sleeping. It's that simple.

If you have a brand new battery, with poor service coverage in signal and data, high screen brightness, long timeout, 4 email accounts constantly updating, problematic apps and constant usage - face the fact that you will need to adjust your "charging habits".

Someone mentioned the issue of upgrading from older devices like BBs, when you compromise battery life.

???there's no comparison. Look at the size of the screen.. the graphics... the software... the capabilities. there is absolutely no comparison.
__________________
Oops I crapped my pants... Damn Evo
TF1984 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TF1984 For This Useful Post:
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #55 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
greatcasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to greatcasa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1984 View Post
This is a simple diagnoses, at least on the surface. If you're experiencing such poor life there IS a reason why.

how many charge cycles have you done?
good or bad coverage? Evdo or 1x?
screen brightness
screen timeout
update apps
memory leaks, have you updated MR

If all of these are within reasonable parameters then you need to download Spare Parts b/c something is keeping your phone from entering "sleeP" which puts the cpu into a power save mode. Get that, then open spare parts and check battery information, change drop down to "partial wake usage" and find what apps are keeping phone from sleeping. It's that simple.

If you have a brand new battery, with poor service coverage in signal and data, high screen brightness, long timeout, 4 email accounts constantly updating, problematic apps and constant usage - face the fact that you will need to adjust your "charging habits".

Someone mentioned the issue of upgrading from older devices like BBs, when you compromise battery life.

???there's no comparison. Look at the size of the screen.. the graphics... the software... the capabilities. there is absolutely no comparison.
Screen brightness is about 1/4 to 1/3. Timeout is at 30 seconds. I only have hotmail in the mail apps updating everything 30 mins and the built in gmail running. I get decent to great coverage wherever I go throughout the day and I've only used wifi on the first night I've had the phone. I've used GPS navigation once for 15 minutes and have used the browser 15-20 times, youtube once, and updated my status on facebook once. Besides installing about 20 apps, and having erased all but a few (Pandora, close everything, express news, fartdroid, android lightsaber, bic concert lighter, a flashlight, google talk, google voice, shazam, quickoffice), I've barely used the phone (only used the apps once that I've downloaded). I've fully the charged the phone 3 or 4 times now with it getting down to almost no battery or it turning itself off. The battery is currently at 80% at 2 hrs 52 mins since boot and a full charge.

What is updating MR?

I downloaded Spare parts and here are my results. Since last unplugged: Android System>Home>Mail, Since last boot: same, Total all time: Mail>Android System>Home.

Believe me I know this phone is not going to last as long as a new blackberry with a new battery. But if an old 2+ year old battery in a BB can still get 2+ days with full usage and talking etc. I expect any phone that I buy, not matter the technology to last at least 24 hrs with moderate usage. If a phone can't do that, it shouldn't be on the market. Plain and simple. It it can't then it's an ipod/mp3 player/game system, that can make an occasional phone call and not the other way around.

Do you think it's possible I have a dud phone and/or battery?
greatcasa is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greatcasa For This Useful Post:
Old December 25th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #56 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think my battery life is also really bad that got myself a second battery.
I finished fully charging my phone around 5pm. By 9pm the battery is about 40%. The next morning I got up around 7am, battery 10%. By the time I got to my office around 9am I recharge. Takes about 3 hours to fully recharge. I take out the fully charged battery and take lunch break. When I come back I took out the battery and replace it with my second battery to recharge. Takes about another 3 hours to charge. By the time it finishes, it's about 4-5pm. The the cycle starts again. Do you think this is normal or it's just me?

I took the advice of all above suggestions.
1. I have 3 email accounts set up. All send and receive frequency set to "every 2 hours."
2. I disabled automatic update on the weather widget.
3. I already updated to latest firmware, which is said to have fixed the bug on the text message. I didn't feel improvement on battery life, so I installed chompSMS and disabled the built-in text message again.
4. I text message a lot though, but does it really drain the battery that severely?
5. I unchecked "Enabled GPS satellites" at all time.
6. I know I don't have good reception at home: only 1 bar, says EV on the top, sometimes it says 1x.
7. At work: all bars, but still says EV on the top.
sleepybird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #57 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
greatcasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to greatcasa
Default

Ok so the last two days I've gotten 15-18 hrs with moderate usage and almost no phone calls before having to charge. My awake time is staying below 35% and Spare Parts is not showing anything unusual under partial awake that's keeping the phone awake. 15-18 hrs still seems way to little, especially with barely using the phone. I'm mean this thing is sitting there, with no apps running and the screen off and is just sucking down battery life. Has anyone out there had issues like this and returned their phone/got another battery and the issues went away? I'm just wondering if I've got a bad phone/battery and if I shoul take the phone back and get a new one?
greatcasa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #58 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
greatcasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to greatcasa
Default

Totally different battery life today. I have 41% battery left after having been on for 23:40 hrs. I also now have an awake time of only 12%, down from high 30's. The only difference today (and I used the phone more heavily today) was downloading and using "Advanced Task Killer Free" which seems to find more open applications that other task killers don't, and I did not use my silicone gel cover. I don't understand this sudden difference, unless this app killer is finding and killing my running apps that weren't being seen by other app killers, or somehow the silicone gel cover was impeding the signal strength and causing the phone to be "searching" for service more often. Any thoughts?
greatcasa is offline  
Last edited by greatcasa; December 27th, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:28 AM   #59 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
n0gik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stranded in Iowa
Posts: 71
 
Device(s): HTC Hero (Sprint CDMA)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

BTW - the widget Battery Life (CurveFish) kicks butt, IMO. If one likes things displayed like the temp or pile voltage. Could stand to shrink the size to a 1x1 rather than a 2x1.
n0gik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #60 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What's the best battery charging habit? Is it best to recharge the battery when it is completely drained or is it best to recharge when it's 5% or 10%? Thanks for your help.
sleepybird is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #61 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
The Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Sanyo MM-7400, Treo 650, & Now Updated/Upgraded With The New Sprint HTC (Super) HERO! Now I'm Living
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My phone was at 50% tonight, then I went out for an hour, and when I came home it beeped the 15% Alert. In that entire hour, I never used the device once. However, what I did notice is that the GPS Signal was actively transmitting, and so I knew it must be an App. I turned off my GPS location system (I switched it to Network only), and I made certain that Google Latitude was off. I also made certain to switch Twitter, email, WeatherBurg Updates, etc. all to more spread out time periods (I believe the minimum I set any App. in terms of Update frequency was every Two hours).

Alas, the GPS Transmit icon was still flashing away.

I ended up having to restart the phone (By simply turning it off, then on again), and now the GPS Transmit signal is finally dormant.

I have no idea why the GPS went buggers on me, but I have to admit that with the great power that the Hero has as a handheld CPU (Which is great), we obviously will also face issues requiring reboots and the like (Just as is the case with any CPU). With Power, comes Bugs, but I firmly believe that the Pros of this device by far outweigh any Cons whatsoever.
The Dark Knight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #62 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 60
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
I had no idea about that dolphin browser trick, thank you so freaking much

I was actually using the stock browser again because I like the way it looks in full screen mode, dolphin has a random orange bar at the top, it must be for branding, nonetheless I'm not going back, exit and clear cache is brilliant
That's the tab bar. Notice if you have more than one tab open the orange bar is smaller, because it shows you which tab you're on. Then you can swipe left and right to switch tabs. Pretty slick.
mattcoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 279
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero with ZenEXP OC to 691mhz
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

So what have people found to be the biggest battery eaters out there?

I found that I removed the Facebook app from my friend's Droid and she went from her phone only lasting about 10 hours and needing to be put on the charger, to going until over a day and a half to needing to charge her phone.


For me, I've noticed that my phone doesn't use much battery (I don't have any widgets that update and use the stock Gmail app and Handcent for messaging) until I use the browser. Even simply opening the browser will drop me 1-2% and spending more than 10 minutes on it kills my battery by at least 5-10%.

I've also noticed phone calls are harsh on the phone, although it may be because I use the speaker phone most of the time when I use it. My phone calls seem to eat up about 0.5-1% per minute I talk on the phone. Luckily I don't usually talk on the phone very much.


Anyone else notice certain apps or processes that eat up the battery more than others?
dmm5157 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fenton, MI.
Posts: 318
 
Device(s): EVO 4G, Rooted-running CM 6.1.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default

The main battery killer I've noticed other than the the browser is eBuddy. If I'm logged into eBuddy my battery drops rapidly.
durandetto is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to durandetto For This Useful Post:
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #65 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 60
 
Device(s): EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreengdub View Post
So you set the clock/weather widget that came with the phone on your home town rather than location? I can't seem to set it to a hometown. How do you do that?
Hey everyone...I'm a long time PPCGeeker (used Windows Mobile phones forever) and I got the Hero recently and LOVE IT! Anyways, I think I figured out how to get it to show whatever location you pick rather than your 'Current City.' After trying to figure it out for a few minutes I deleted the HTC Clock widget from my home screen. Then I went in and added it back and it gives me the choice between Current City and adding a location. I added my location and it says 'Topeka' instead of 'Current City' now so I'm hopeful that will stick. Hope this helps someone else.
jhale83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #66 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
tripwire's_hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 74
 
Device(s): Galaxy S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Newb!

Hey all, first post...

Long time lurker/researcher who just picked up a HERO on friday. I was appalled by the battery life. I had to charge it after 5 hours of moderate use!

Fortunately, many of the tips in this thread have made a HUGE difference in my battery life, but I wanted to get clarification on a few items.

1. BACK BUTTON TO CLOSE APPS
This doesn't seem to work for me. I make it a point to use the back button to get out of an app and go to the home screens, but when I check the running apps everything is still open. What gives?

2. TASK MANAGERS/KILLERS
I see a lot of "DON'T USE THESE" posts. But one is mentioned by the OP (close everything). So is the message that these are NOT necessary from a processor standpoint, but helpful from a battery life standpoint? Is there a marked increase in when one is employed?

3. DEFAULT MESSAGE APP PROBLEMS
Has this been addressed? Thought I saw a post saying there was an update that negated the need for a 3rd party app as a workaround. Also, are there issues with the pop-imap email app? I would prefer to use my hotmail and only built the gmail acct to import contacts. (THAT should have been do-able without a frikken' gmail acct...)
tripwire's_hero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #67 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 60
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhale83 View Post
Hey everyone...I'm a long time PPCGeeker (used Windows Mobile phones forever) and I got the Hero recently and LOVE IT! Anyways, I think I figured out how to get it to show whatever location you pick rather than your 'Current City.' After trying to figure it out for a few minutes I deleted the HTC Clock widget from my home screen. Then I went in and added it back and it gives me the choice between Current City and adding a location. I added my location and it says 'Topeka' instead of 'Current City' now so I'm hopeful that will stick. Hope this helps someone else.
Just make sure the city you add is first on the list for that time zone. I added Chicago and it kept picking Kansas City before I rearranged the cities.
mattcoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #68 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
nick325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 491
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 197 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire's_hero View Post
Hey all, first post...

Long time lurker/researcher who just picked up a HERO on friday. I was appalled by the battery life. I had to charge it after 5 hours of moderate use!

Fortunately, many of the tips in this thread have made a HUGE difference in my battery life, but I wanted to get clarification on a few items.

1. BACK BUTTON TO CLOSE APPS
This doesn't seem to work for me. I make it a point to use the back button to get out of an app and go to the home screens, but when I check the running apps everything is still open. What gives?

2. TASK MANAGERS/KILLERS
I see a lot of "DON'T USE THESE" posts. But one is mentioned by the OP (close everything). So is the message that these are NOT necessary from a processor standpoint, but helpful from a battery life standpoint? Is there a marked increase in when one is employed?

3. DEFAULT MESSAGE APP PROBLEMS
Has this been addressed? Thought I saw a post saying there was an update that negated the need for a 3rd party app as a workaround. Also, are there issues with the pop-imap email app? I would prefer to use my hotmail and only built the gmail acct to import contacts. (THAT should have been do-able without a frikken' gmail acct...)

1. Which applications specifically? I have several programs/games that when I use the back button all the way to the home screen then I click the icon again it takes me through the startup procedure of that game/program and not back to where I was in the app like I had pressed the home button to exit out.

2. The don't use these crowd understands linux/android has great memory management. I use close everything in the case of a program that should have closed/crashed that didn't. It keeps my phone snappy and their might be some battery gain. I've been using it less lately but my phone has also seemed more stable after Fresh Rom 1.0+ thus not really needing to use it.

3. The default message app problem was fixed with an update that Sprint released otehrwise known as the MR. I have done some research and it seems that 95% of the phones being bought now have the MR pre-loaded and should not have to worry about this old bug.
nick325i is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #69 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
tripwire's_hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 74
 
Device(s): Galaxy S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick325i View Post
1. Which applications specifically? I have several programs/games that when I use the back button all the way to the home screen then I click the icon again it takes me through the startup procedure of that game/program and not back to where I was in the app like I had pressed the home button to exit out.
I'm speaking specifically about things like phone, browser, settings, voicemail, etc. I use the back button to get home from these applications, and they still appear as running when I check the current apps by holding down the home key. Should I be able to end these by backing out? is it a battery drain to have them running in the background when I'm not actually using them?

thanks for the answers to my other questions. much appreciated.
tripwire's_hero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #70 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
nick325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 491
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 197 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire's_hero View Post
I'm speaking specifically about things like phone, browser, settings, voicemail, etc. I use the back button to get home from these applications, and they still appear as running when I check the current apps by holding down the home key. Should I be able to end these by backing out? is it a battery drain to have them running in the background when I'm not actually using them?

thanks for the answers to my other questions. much appreciated.
Certain processes are never going to close. If know you about computers or OS's specifically. Windows and linux both have services that never shutdown. If your com.android.phone service were to be stopped on your phone, could you recieve a phone call? Now the other part of it is the screen you backed out of might specifically be called com.android.dialer (i don't think it is but) that service closes when you hit the back button from that screen. Many functions are taking place behind the scenes in your phone. Certain ones are using processor/battery power because they have to for things to function on your phone. Others if you leave the application it enters a pause state which isn't eating any processor or battery.
In short, any program that can quit, will when you use the back button to the home screen. The only exception I know of on this is the dolphin browser where you have to hold the back button.

Hope this helps!

Wait,
Holding down the home key just shows you the last 6 apps that you opened, not whats currently running. LOL
nick325i is offline  
Last edited by nick325i; January 12th, 2010 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 12th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #71 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
tripwire's_hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 74
 
Device(s): Galaxy S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick325i View Post
Wait, Holding down the home key just shows you the last 6 apps that you opened, not whats currently running. LOL
well, THAT would explain why I couldn't get them to "close" * ahem *

could I be a bigger noob?
tripwire's_hero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ccapasso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,127
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G - Myn 2.2 RLS4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 279 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Hi all, first post here and let me start by saying thank you all for the great information. I recently purchased my Hero and only installed a few apps. After thinking more and researching more, I removed several of them as I know I won't be using them. One thing I do have installed though is the Advanced Task Killer. I am using the "free" version, so there is nothing be auto closed. At first, I was closing everything all of the time, multiple times throughout the day. Again, after reading and learning, I have tried to keep from doing this. Anyways, as far as the battery is concerned, at first my battery was draining like crazy. I took the steps listed here and tweaked my Hero according to the OP.

After doing this, I was still getting terrible battery life, to the point of it being down to nothing before the end of the day, with me really doing nothing on the phone. I installed Spare Parts and found that it was my Mail that was keeping the phone awake. I checked all of my mail settings and found one that was set to update every 5 minutes. I changed that one to manual and now have seen an improvement. Currently, I have 3 e-mail accounts configured, all using the default mail app, 2 of them are set to manual, the other is an exchange account that I have set to update every 30 minutes.

Today, I did notice an improvement today, however when I checked the awake time I noticed that it has been awake all day. I went into Spare Parts and I found that Android System is on top followed by Mail. Today, I did not use my phone at all for anything, it has been awake for over 9hrs now (46%) and the battery is currently at 62%.

I started this morning with a fresh boot after a full charge over night. Again, I did not use the phone at all today other than to check what mail my Exchange account had, which I only did twice. I do know it was searching for a signal several times today, but I also don't understand why it has been awake all day long. I have the End button set to go to home screen then sleep when pressed. I make a habit of pressing the end button before I put my phone back in the holster.

While I am happy that I have more battery life today then days passed, I still do not understand why the battery is draining, and why the phone is constantly awake. I did not kill a single app today and am hoping that has nothing to do with it. I think tomorrow I will repeat today by doing a full charge tonight, fresh boot in the morning, and kill all apps running to see how it lasts.

Any advice/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
ccapasso is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
RobAGD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 143
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G - Sprint Rooted Stock Rom HTC Hero - Sprint Rooted w/ Fresh 2.1.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Welp did a little looking and digging on mine.

As of right now this phone is looking to be a charge everyday deal for me. Not a HUGE deal but it is a new habit to get into considering my old Katana was a charge every 4-5 days kinda deal.

So far nothing special installed ( did install a battery widget mippin.com ) but out side of that nothing else, All stock apps and roms etc. I do have the Gel body slipper thingie.

Killed a bunch of stuff off teh get go ( GPS, Bluetooth etc ) the first night, right now I have 6 things showing up as running : Phone, Settings, Settings (Battery widget), Weather, Clock, Browser

Pulled off the charger this morning, moderate texting ( maybe 20 25 ) 3 photos uploaded to face book, 15-20 minutes of talk time and I am now at 64% which shocked me given how I killed it yesterday editing all my contacts.

Uptime : 67:10:00

Awake : 27:27:00 41%

I would be looking into the Hi-Cap Battery in the future.

I know that 40% is high but I seriously was editing my contact list for the better part of 3 hours.

-Robert
RobAGD is offline  
Last edited by RobAGD; January 12th, 2010 at 07:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #74 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
JB in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,868
 
Device(s): Droid MAXX
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 265
Thanked 268 Times in 208 Posts
Default

I charge my phone nightly, and I have been turning it off before plugging in the charger. (I don't want to hear the notification sound for emails during the night) I now turn it on before unplugging the charger in the morning...why use battery power to boot it? To paraphrase a famous astronaut..."One small step for this Hero user, one giant leap for the Hero battery". I hope this helps someone!
JB in AZ is offline  
Last edited by JB in AZ; January 14th, 2010 at 07:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 111
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB in AZ View Post
I charge my phone nightly, and I have been turning it off before plugging in the charger. (I don't want to hear the notification sound for emails during the night) I now turn it on before unplugging the charger in the morning...why use battery power to boot it? To paraphrase a famous astronaut..."One small step for this Hero user, one giant leap for the Hero battery". I hope this helps someone!
Two things:
1. Look into an app called timerific. I have mine set to be silenced at 11:45pm, ringer at 45% volume at 5:20am which leaves notifications at 0% volume on weekdays and 7:30am on weekends, and then at 80% volume for both at 8:30am. It's a great app that doesn't seem to affect battery life like Locale may or may not have for some users (me!)

2. The hero requires the battery to boot, if you let the battery die, you have to leave it plugged in long enough for the battery to have enough charge to boot the phone. You may also notice the charge light goes off when you turn it on.
sarspants is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #76 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
JB in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,868
 
Device(s): Droid MAXX
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 265
Thanked 268 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarspants View Post
Two things:
1. Look into an app called timerific. I have mine set to be silenced at 11:45pm, ringer at 45% volume at 5:20am which leaves notifications at 0% volume on weekdays and 7:30am on weekends, and then at 80% volume for both at 8:30am. It's a great app that doesn't seem to affect battery life like Locale may or may not have for some users (me!)

2. The hero requires the battery to boot, if you let the battery die, you have to leave it plugged in long enough for the battery to have enough charge to boot the phone. You may also notice the charge light goes off when you turn it on.
sarspants, thanks for the comments. I will check out timerific!

On point #2, I think you might have misundertood my comment...I never let the battery run down. I turn off the Hero before plugging in the charger every night. It never runs down to where it shuts off by itself. My point was simply that I turn it back on BEFORE unplugging the charger in the morning...and the charge light indicator stays green until I unplug it after booting.
JB in AZ is offline  
Last edited by JB in AZ; January 14th, 2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: added charge light indicator comment.
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #77 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wouldn't charging the whole night overcharge the battery?
sleepybird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #78 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
nick325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 491
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 197 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepybird View Post
Wouldn't charging the whole night overcharge the battery?
When the little light goes green, it stops charging.
nick325i is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #79 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Warren Mi.
Posts: 20
 
Device(s): SPRINT HTC H3R0
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

What worked for me:@ random times throughout the day note your uptime above awake time,with % of waketime beneath both,then %of batt. life somewhere close. Monitor these values as well as the amount of usage, for as long as u like. Take note w/ and w/o task killers, auto task killer, or advanced,also try w/ & w/o booting. with this method u can determine how long your battery will will last on avg., per hr, day, week etc...I actually started doing this since i read this forum, to determine whether i had a defective device or if battery loss/use is acceptable. Well since i started my lil exp., i have not stopped. I have also quit smoking due to the time i take to monitor and note these values daily I love this phone!!! ave time for me is about 52hrs u.t.,8:45hrs a.t. @ 9% after a full charge w/o reboot that took 2.5hrs. Right now im @ 161:45,11:30 a.t. @ 7% 2nd charge picking up @100hrs/8:45 a.t.,with 45% batt. remaining. formula to find values= T1-T2 divided by %of battery life lost gives you %lost/hr/day etc... Im sure you can figure out the rest from there, if not feel free to pm me...hope i can help someone out like the forum helped me come to my own method of monitoring my battery life/loss rate. Good luck
MagnusRagnarok is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #80 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
nick325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 491
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 197 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusRagnarok View Post
What worked for me:@ random times throughout the day note your uptime above awake time,with % of waketime beneath both,then %of batt. life somewhere close. Monitor these values as well as the amount of usage, for as long as u like. Take note w/ and w/o task killers, auto task killer, or advanced,also try w/ & w/o booting. with this method u can determine how long your battery will will last on avg., per hr, day, week etc...I actually started doing this since i read this forum, to determine whether i had a defective device or if battery loss/use is acceptable. Well since i started my lil exp., i have not stopped. I have also quit smoking due to the time i take to monitor and note these values daily I love this phone!!! ave time for me is about 52hrs u.t.,8:45hrs a.t. @ 9% after a full charge w/o reboot that took 2.5hrs. Right now im @ 161:45,11:30 a.t. @ 7% 2nd charge picking up @100hrs/8:45 a.t.,with 45% batt. remaining. formula to find values= T1-T2 divided by %of battery life lost gives you %lost/hr/day etc... Im sure you can figure out the rest from there, if not feel free to pm me...hope i can help someone out like the forum helped me come to my own method of monitoring my battery life/loss rate. Good luck
I'm going to go ahead here and do an english translation for the faint of heart folk.

He enjoys monitoring his battery life and it has help him quit smoking. He has calculated that his phone aww crap i just popped a blood vessel.
nick325i is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #81 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
greatcasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to greatcasa
Default

What in God's name are you talking about? Yes I'm technically inclined. What you just said made absolutely no sense. And why would you spend that amount of time on a phone? Is this what you do when you have no social life, no girl, and no kids? Good lord...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusRagnarok View Post
What worked for me:@ random times throughout the day note your uptime above awake time,with % of waketime beneath both,then %of batt. life somewhere close. Monitor these values as well as the amount of usage, for as long as u like. Take note w/ and w/o task killers, auto task killer, or advanced,also try w/ & w/o booting. with this method u can determine how long your battery will will last on avg., per hr, day, week etc...I actually started doing this since i read this forum, to determine whether i had a defective device or if battery loss/use is acceptable. Well since i started my lil exp., i have not stopped. I have also quit smoking due to the time i take to monitor and note these values daily I love this phone!!! ave time for me is about 52hrs u.t.,8:45hrs a.t. @ 9% after a full charge w/o reboot that took 2.5hrs. Right now im @ 161:45,11:30 a.t. @ 7% 2nd charge picking up @100hrs/8:45 a.t.,with 45% batt. remaining. formula to find values= T1-T2 divided by %of battery life lost gives you %lost/hr/day etc... Im sure you can figure out the rest from there, if not feel free to pm me...hope i can help someone out like the forum helped me come to my own method of monitoring my battery life/loss rate. Good luck
greatcasa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #82 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
androidtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 701
 
Device(s): HTC Hero ~ HTC Evo ~ Samsung Epic ~ Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 64 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatcasa View Post
What in God's name are you talking about? Yes I'm technically inclined. What you just said made absolutely no sense. And why would you spend that amount of time on a phone? Is this what you do when you have no social life, no girl, and no kids? Good lord...
lmao! too funny
androidtp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #83 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DFRESH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Bay Area SF/Oak
Posts: 559
 
Device(s): Fresh 2.1.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Don't install Battery Widgets or apps ...THOSE WILL DRAIN YOUR BATTERY EVEN MORE!
DFRESH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #84 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 279
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero with ZenEXP OC to 691mhz
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFRESH View Post
Don't install Battery Widgets or apps ...THOSE WILL DRAIN YOUR BATTERY EVEN MORE!
I didn't think this was true until I started experimenting with it today. It absolutely is!
dmm5157 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #85 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DFRESH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Bay Area SF/Oak
Posts: 559
 
Device(s): Fresh 2.1.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmm5157 View Post
I didn't think this was true until I started experimenting with it today. It absolutely is!
Yes, I tested a few for over a week myself and all of them drained my battery even more. I uninstalled them and timed the battery once again and noticed that the phone battery runs longer without battery widgets, etc...
DFRESH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #86 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
nick325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 491
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 197 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFRESH View Post
Yes, I tested a few for over a week myself and all of them drained my battery even more. I uninstalled them and timed the battery once again and noticed that the phone battery runs longer without battery widgets, etc...
I was under the impression some of them did and some of them did not drain. Did you test "Batterylife" by Curvefish?
nick325i is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #87 (permalink)
Member
 
NewShockerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 104
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Arrow

What about the software for a rooted phone called OverClockWidget.

I just downloaded it and you can set the clock speed of both when the screen is on and off.

I turned it to the min when the screen is off... Every thing that I read people were saying they were able to get +++ hours of the battery because of it...

Anyone else have this affect?

-Nigel
__________________
~NSG~


http://i34.tinypic.com/2q2mjd3.jpg
NewShockerGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #88 (permalink)
Member
 
NewShockerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 104
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFRESH View Post
Don't install Battery Widgets or apps ...THOSE WILL DRAIN YOUR BATTERY EVEN MORE!

How do you know what % your battery is at then?

I don't like how the icon in the notification bar doesn't give you a % or anything.

I am using the HTC battery widget and have noticed no loss of battery from when I have to charge the phone..etc.

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #89 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Gender: Male
Posts: 986
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 68
Thanked 116 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
How do you know what % your battery is at then?
I don't have a battery widget, but I do have Spare Parts installed. It will tell me the battery percentage left.
regression is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #90 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: uk
Posts: 155
 
Device(s): HTC Hero Elilinux 2.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I was a regular 12 hours battery life person until this weekend. I would say that with moderate use I could just about stretch to 14 hours.

Then on saturday night i decided to remove battery monitor and taskpanel.

Moderate use throughout the day, including a bit of wifi a few texts and a call or two. Checked battery using spare parts and Hallelujah!! battery at 58%.

Phone ran all the way through to 6:30pm today, I sent a few texts, connected to GPRS internet and then after I spending 2 hours on wifi browsing and downloading various things.

So that's basically 45 hours up time.

Can anyone beat that?
bzzzzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #91 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
tripwire's_hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 74
 
Device(s): Galaxy S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzzzz View Post
So that's basically 45 hours up time. Can anyone beat that?
sweet mother of moses! I've never had task panel or any sort of battery monitor on this thing, and I'm lucky to get 14 hours out of it. Hell, moderate use (a few texts and some market shopping) frikken' killed it today, and I'm down to 10% after a morning recharge.

how the hell do you have your phone set up?!
tripwire's_hero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #92 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
tatonka_Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,566
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 86 Times in 71 Posts
Default

I can come close to 45 with moderate use and good service. I tend to shut off wireless and mobile network when I'm not using it, and turn my screen off when it's not in use.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Running whatever release of Froyo I happen to be on at the time
tatonka_Hero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #93 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 279
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero with ZenEXP OC to 691mhz
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Bzzz, I've been very similar to you. After a moderate day of use texting (10-20 messages a day), browsing web, and playing around with the phone, my phone would be drained down to around 20-30% by the time I'd put it on the charger at night around midnight. I could practically watch the phone drain when I'd turn the screen on.

I had an HTC Battery widget and lockbot, started thinking those could be culprits as my battery was still measly after rooting the phone and flashing FRESH 1.1 ROM on my phone.

Well this weekend I experimented with a couple things:

1. Removed a few apps I don't use much anymore, reducing my total number of apps to around 40 and available internal memory to around 50MB.

2. Uninstalled Lock Bot Pro and put the phone back to the stock lock screen. Actually, flashed one of the clear lock screen from Noj.


I tried the phone again and the battery seemed to be much improved. After a day of heavy use, I was at around the same spot as I was with low use.

Then I tried uninstalling my HTC Battery widget and put on Battery Indicator yesterday. Once again used the phone pretty heavily and my phone was at around 40% when I put it on the charger. This was the best i've ever had at this point in the night.

So, I decided to try putting LockBot Pro back on my phone today. I've used the browser quite a bit, as I took the afternoon off work and was browsing using both Opera Mini and the stock browser quite a bit. didn't text too much (6 messages), but I did send a couple e-mails and got a bunch of e-mails via gmail (About 40 today). Right now my phone is showing 48% battery!!!! WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!?!

I decided to check Spare Parts to see if maybe battery INdicator is giving me a false reading. Nope, showing 48%. Checked my Phone Status in settings and it says I'm at 15% awake with an up time of 34 hours.

I don't know what the heck is going on with my phone, but i'm getting better battery life than I ever have, and really have not made many changes. I need to take a snapshot of what apps I have installed right now and back-up my current settings so I don't lose this configuration.


One observation, something I just remembered. Yesterday morning I was playing with my phone when I got a message on my phone that my PRL was being updated. Wonder if that had any affect. I didn't make any other changes to my phone and am shocked at how much my battery life has dramatically improved.

If I can post some of the apps I got rid of, i'll let you guys know.


I'm interested to hear more form Bzzz as well.


I should add that I don't use a task killer (that is something I just started doing a few weeks ago and that was a big start in the right direction, as my phone would sometimes be dying by the time I'd get home from work). I also keep everything off (GPS, Blue Tooth, WiFi).
dmm5157 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #94 (permalink)
Member
 
NewShockerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 104
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

I can post some good news for those that have a rooted phone. OverClockWidget is freaking awesome!!!

I am at 40% battery life and I charged my phone this time yesterday morning!! I was using the internet, gps and blue tooth as well.

Best feature I think of this widget is you can have different frequencies depending on if the screen is off or on. When the screen is OFF, I turn the clock speed ALL the way down to the lowest. I am blown away by this widget! Best part is it's free.
Doing the same thing before I installed this widget yesterda I would be charging the phone right now!

Yea I like how the HTC battery widget is but I think it does drain the battery quite a lot. Removing it I have seen my battery not trickle down as quickly as it used to...

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #95 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 279
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero with ZenEXP OC to 691mhz
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Update: Going on 26 hours since pulling it off the charger yesterday morning and I'm at 34%. Trying to see how far into the day with normal useage I can go before I need to put it on the charger. My guess is probably close to the end of the work day.

Never thought I'd be able to make it this long. Hopefully it keeps it up!
dmm5157 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #96 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
nick325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 491
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 197 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
I can post some good news for those that have a rooted phone. OverClockWidget is freaking awesome!!!

I am at 40% battery life and I charged my phone this time yesterday morning!! I was using the internet, gps and blue tooth as well.

Best feature I think of this widget is you can have different frequencies depending on if the screen is off or on. When the screen is OFF, I turn the clock speed ALL the way down to the lowest. I am blown away by this widget! Best part is it's free.
Doing the same thing before I installed this widget yesterda I would be charging the phone right now!

Yea I like how the HTC battery widget is but I think it does drain the battery quite a lot. Removing it I have seen my battery not trickle down as quickly as it used to...

-Nigel
I'm not seeing the same results.

I un-installed my battery widget and installed this CPU changer and went into advanced and scaled it to the 128mhz when screen off. Overnight my battery drained exactly the same amount as it used to with my battery widget and no scaled CPU.

Confused...?
nick325i is offline  
Last edited by nick325i; January 19th, 2010 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #97 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: uk
Posts: 155
 
Device(s): HTC Hero Elilinux 2.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Ok I'll give a few more details later as I'm at work but once again things are going well.

I decided to try and leave GPS on all day - I'm not that bothered about it, but I'm trying to find out what I can get away with.

Anyway, so far today I've downloaded a 4 minute movie from youtube using GPRS checked a few emails and sent out a couple of texts and a couple of photo's. I took the phone off the charger 9 hours ago.

Current battery according to spare parts is 75%.

Later I'll give an update as to what I have installed.
bzzzzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #98 (permalink)
Member
 
NewShockerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 104
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick325i View Post
I'm not seeing the same results.

I un-installed my battery widget and installed this CPU changer and went into advanced and scaled it to the 128mhz when screen off. Overnight my battery drained exactly the same amount as it used to with my battery widget and no scaled CPU.

Confused...?

Make sure you set the min and max to 128mhz for when the screen is off.
Also a quick note to see if it's working, turn the screen off, then turn it back on and quickly slide the lock down... you should see a lower message saying "clock speed set" if you see that then you are good.
I'd say give it a day or two. I am seriously amazed at this widget.. I think the first day I didn't really notice much but kept reading reviews and reocmmended settings... changed it to the above and when the screen is off, a nice way of it being downclocked.

I am happy with the results that I got so far, I am going to tweak the settings more of the system and see what else I can tweak. Very seriously considering getting rid of the battery widgets and only keeping the one that keeps it in the notification bar.

I definatly think the HTC widget for the battery though very pretty is a crucial drain on the battery.

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #99 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
momoceio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,235
 
Device(s): EVO 3d
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 106
Thanked 151 Times in 95 Posts
Default

FYI - I was experiencing crazy awake time (78%) caused by the Missed Reminder app. I think I have it fixed now...it was set to notify me of a missed call once a minute for an infinite period of time. I set it to only notify for 10 minutes now...we'll see what that does. I'll be trying out the overclock widget too...sounds nice.
momoceio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #100 (permalink)
Member
 
NewShockerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 104
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoceio View Post
FYI - I was experiencing crazy awake time (78%) caused by the Missed Reminder app. I think I have it fixed now...it was set to notify me of a missed call once a minute for an infinite period of time. I set it to only notify for 10 minutes now...we'll see what that does. I'll be trying out the overclock widget too...sounds nice.
Where did you set that up at?

I want to look at mine.

Thanks,
-Nigel
NewShockerGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
battery, battery life, batterylife, conservation, extend, hero, life, tips, tricks, usage


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Hero (Sprint) > Sprint Hero - Tips and Tricks
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.