Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3 > (AT&T) Galaxy S3 - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By UserName872
  • 1 Post By mrhomiec
  • 1 Post By gingersnapgirl
  • 1 Post By gingersnapgirl

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Free Wi-fi tethering hotspot

Hey everyone I'm BRAND new to the site. I picked up my S3 yesterday and was stoked to go home and set it up. I was a little shocked to find out that there is no mention of anyone setting up their free wifi tethering hotspot (after root) on the internet ANYWHERE.

I rooted my Galaxy Note for the first time yesterday before I got the S3 and I rooted the S3 last night. I know for the Note, you had to use T.B. to uninstall 'TetheringManager' and then enable the tethering through the normal options. I did that with no problems and my hotspot is fine. The only thing I see on the S3 is 'TetheringProvision', but the icon that comes with it is a Google icon. I don't want to delete anything that belongs to TouchWiz/Google, but I want to get rid of AT&T's crappy tethering tracker.

Does anyone have ideas/opinions on the matter?

Slicc98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I'm interested in the answer for this as well.
theinvid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
UserName872's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 618
 
Device(s): LG-G2 (T-Mobile) Nexus 7 1st Gen (16GB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 31
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicc98 View Post
Hey everyone I'm BRAND new to the site. I picked up my S3 yesterday and was stoked to go home and set it up. I was a little shocked to find out that there is no mention of anyone setting up their free wifi tethering hotspot (after root) on the internet ANYWHERE.

I rooted my Galaxy Note for the first time yesterday before I got the S3 and I rooted the S3 last night. I know for the Note, you had to use T.B. to uninstall 'TetheringManager' and then enable the tethering through the normal options. I did that with no problems and my hotspot is fine. The only thing I see on the S3 is 'TetheringProvision', but the icon that comes with it is a Google icon. I don't want to delete anything that belongs to TouchWiz/Google, but I want to get rid of AT&T's crappy tethering tracker.

Does anyone have ideas/opinions on the matter?

You don't need to root for this feature anymore with your ATT device. Download "foxfi" from the play store. Its free and creates a hotspot without needing root.
UserName872 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

How to Get Free Wifi Tether / Hotspot on the Samsung Galaxy S III - YouTube

QBKing77's quick video for this
Jarky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 335
 
Device(s): Samsung GS3 Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Carrier: ATT

Thanks: 46
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Default Foxfi working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName872 View Post
You don't need to root for this feature anymore with your ATT device. Download "foxfi" from the play store. Its free and creates a hotspot without needing root.
I have read on other posts that Foxfi did not work on the S3. However, it sounds like you got it to work. Is this so?
artbytes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
UserName872's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 618
 
Device(s): LG-G2 (T-Mobile) Nexus 7 1st Gen (16GB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 31
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbytes View Post
I have read on other posts that Foxfi did not work on the S3. However, it sounds like you got it to work. Is this so?
So far so good for me with Foxfi on AT&T.
jlflores777 likes this.
UserName872 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I also have Foxfi going on my S3 and it works perfectly. Connected another phone and my laptop to it to test it out and no issues.
agentstavros is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
djedgarftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 493
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, Droid Razr Maxx, Samsung Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Motorola atrix
Carrier: Sprint, AT&T

Thanks: 3
Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Default

I have foxfi on mine no problem and is fast enough to game online
__________________
Samsung Galaxy SIII (SGH-1747) Rooted, ON Ultimitum Rom and OC
djedgarftw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
RagingSamster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: A state of Divine Grace
Posts: 141
 
Device(s): GalaxyS3-Verizon, EVO 4G-Sprint
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 44
Thanked 41 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Foxfi works on Verizon S3 - DOH! whoops should have checked the forum before posting from a search... well, FYI anywhoo!
__________________
Sprint's customer loyalty program is their network... Not nearly enough to do the job
RagingSamster is offline  
Last edited by RagingSamster; July 20th, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 525
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Default

anyone have any issues with att doing this? I had tether on my sprint android for ages, but i know of a number of people that were doing it on their att iphones and they got an email saying to cut it out or theyr gonna start charging.
chawski is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Has anyone have any luck with foxfi and tmobile (nonrooted)
tonydepo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just tried to install FoxFi on my S3 and it said it was not supported by ATT. "this item is not available by your carrier"
AndroidSD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 105
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidSD View Post
I just tried to install FoxFi on my S3 and it said it was not supported by ATT. "this item is not available by your carrier"
Same here, but Foxfi is still available on the Amazon Appstore.
You can also go to Foxfi.com and they provide a link.
skramblr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawski View Post
anyone have any issues with att doing this? I had tether on my sprint android for ages, but i know of a number of people that were doing it on their att iphones and they got an email saying to cut it out or theyr gonna start charging.

I would like to know if other users are running into this as well. I had a warning from AT&T when I tried to tether thru my BB Bold. Didn't know if there was away around it. My phone bill is high enough without paying 60 bucks more for a feature I would only use on rare occasion.
jroyjohnson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mrhomiec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 528
 
Device(s): Droid 1, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 67
Thanked 72 Times in 51 Posts
Default

the app creator has posted instruction on how to install it on your AT&T S3. but it's explained in the FoxFi Addon app isntead:

Quote:
FoxFi AddOn provides some optional features to the FoxFi application.
*FoxFi enables free WiFi Tether on your phone without rooting or a tether plan. Sprint and AT&T have removed FoxFi from Android Play Store. So if you could not find FoxFi in Play Store then please install or upgrade FoxFi from FoxFi Installer, or scan the QR code in the third screenshot.
This version of FoxFi AddOn implements
1. Notifications of WiFi client connections.
2. A Web Proxy server on the phone that can be used to hide tether usage.
3. Debug log sending.
This FoxFi AddOn app is completely optional. Depending on which phone and carrier you have, it may or may not produce any benefit for FoxFi usage.
Once installed, use the menu in FoxFi to access AddOn features. Requires FoxFi version 1.90 or above.
following that link, i was able to install it on my phone. =D
spartanrob likes this.
__________________
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code, PM if you add me.
================================================== ===========================THANKS
================================================== ==============================| |
================================================== ==============================| |
================================================== ============================== V
mrhomiec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Easilyamused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 337
 
Device(s): iPad 2 16gb, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 144 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Foxfi working for me so far.
Easilyamused is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
thaKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lex Vegas
Posts: 160
 
Device(s): Pebble Blue Sammy GS3, Nexus 7
Carrier: att

Thanks: 20
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

This is good news...thinking of getting the S3 at ATT and this helps make the decision. My question is, since they've already removed it from the store, if I get it from the foxfi.com website, is there any way for ATT to "remove" it once I have it? Or once I have it, I have it? I'm only looking for casual tethering, so hoping this doesn't send up red flags. The salesman today said that if I was rooted, there was no way they could tell - can they tell with foxfi?
thaKing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I picked up galaxy s3 last month and installed foxfi. I already have foxfi on my android s2 work phone and it works great. I got the foxfi to work on my new s3 but received a bill from att for over $200 for exceeding my data! What do I need to do to avoid this! Root? My android s2 is unrooted on Verizon. Is at&t different? Oh yea, my new s3 is bone stock unrooted. Thanks for info
sweet388 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Oops, I meant android x2 not s2... honestly though anyone else had this problem? Or am I the only one to have problem with foxfi on Galaxy S3?
sweet388 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 253
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet388 View Post
I picked up galaxy s3 last month and installed foxfi. I already have foxfi on my android s2 work phone and it works great. I got the foxfi to work on my new s3 but received a bill from att for over $200 for exceeding my data! What do I need to do to avoid this! Root? My android s2 is unrooted on Verizon. Is at&t different? Oh yea, my new s3 is bone stock unrooted. Thanks for info
Foxfi has nothing to do with you exceeding your data cap. Unless you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, you have to pay when you go over. It doesn't matter if you use foxfi or not.
rlb4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 9th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
GTWalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alabama USA
Posts: 1,227
 
Device(s): T-Mobile SG3 SGH-T999 Stock Rooted 4.3 No Knox
Carrier: T-Mobile US

Thanks: 21
Thanked 395 Times in 315 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet388 View Post
I picked up galaxy s3 last month and installed foxfi. I already have foxfi on my android s2 work phone and it works great. I got the foxfi to work on my new s3 but received a bill from att for over $200 for exceeding my data! What do I need to do to avoid this! Root? My android s2 is unrooted on Verizon. Is at&t different? Oh yea, my new s3 is bone stock unrooted. Thanks for info
Your Verizon plan has unlimited Data not cap. ATT has a cap on how much data you can use in a month. Go over the cap and it will cost you.
GTWalling is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
3vodroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,174
 
Device(s): Rooted EVO 4G LTE ( MeanRom 4.6),Rooted Toshiba THRiVE (Dalepl's ICS)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,561
Thanked 695 Times in 373 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to 3vodroid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTWalling View Post
Your Verizon plan has unlimited Data not cap. ATT has a cap on how much data you can use in a month. Go over the cap and it will cost you.
Exactly. It wouldn't matter rooted or not, you may get past the tethering charge with root. But if you go over your data usage you will pay for it.

For example: I have sprint and it is unlimited data. They do charge 20 bucks for tethering access but since I'm rooted I bypassed that charge and I'm free to tether as much data as I want bc I'm on an unlimited plan. I rooted my friends razr maxx which is verizon obviously and while he got the tethering feature for free, he was charged overages bc he exceeded his data plan.
3vodroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 253
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Does anyone know if AT&T will be able to detect tethering when using Foxfi?
rlb4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post
Does anyone know if AT&T will be able to detect tethering when using Foxfi?
I have been tethering on my Galaxy S3 AT&T using FoxFi since I got it. However, At&t will be able to detect tethering using FoxFi. I recently received a notice about tethering without a tethering plan, threatened me to alter my unlimited plan to a 5gb w/ tethering plan if continued use. After doing some research, the FoxFi addon on the Google Playstore says that it can mask the user from being detected using FoxFi tethering.

Can anyone confirm this? FoxFi addon helping users go undetected for AT&T on the Galaxy S3???
D4ydream3r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydepo View Post
Has anyone have any luck with foxfi and tmobile (nonrooted)
Anyone found a solution for Tmo S3? I see the hotspot on my laptop, but when I try to connect to it Windows7 gives me an connection error every time. Anyone able to get this work with Tmo S3?
joemann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
gingersnapgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Gender: Female
Posts: 301
 
Device(s): Moto X, Google Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 31
Thanked 59 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4ydream3r View Post
I have been tethering on my Galaxy S3 AT&T using FoxFi since I got it. However, At&t will be able to detect tethering using FoxFi. I recently received a notice about tethering without a tethering plan, threatened me to alter my unlimited plan to a 5gb w/ tethering plan if continued use. After doing some research, the FoxFi addon on the Google Playstore says that it can mask the user from being detected using FoxFi tethering.

Can anyone confirm this? FoxFi addon helping users go undetected for AT&T on the Galaxy S3???

I have been using FoxFi with the add-on for a while now, and haven't heard a word from at&t
gingersnapgirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gingersnapgirl For This Useful Post:
sjamie (December 25th, 2012)
Old December 16th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnapgirl View Post
I have been using FoxFi with the add-on for a while now, and haven't heard a word from at&t
Do I just have to install the Foxfi add-on and start using it or is there another step in order to use it undetected?
apetersen320 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
gingersnapgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Gender: Female
Posts: 301
 
Device(s): Moto X, Google Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 31
Thanked 59 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetersen320 View Post
Do I just have to install the Foxfi add-on and start using it or is there another step in order to use it undetected?
You install the add-on and it will add the proxy option to the main app.
KOLIO likes this.
gingersnapgirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gingersnapgirl For This Useful Post:
KOLIO (December 16th, 2012)
Old December 16th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 253
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnapgirl View Post
You install the add-on and it will add the proxy option to the main app.
Where do we get the add-on from? Do we have to first uninstall the version of foxfi already on the phone?
rlb4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
gingersnapgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Gender: Female
Posts: 301
 
Device(s): Moto X, Google Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 31
Thanked 59 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post
Where do we get the add-on from? Do we have to first uninstall the version of foxfi already on the phone?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi.addon&feature=nav_result#?t=W 251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5mb3hmaS5hZGRvbiJd

and no, you should not have to uninstall
jlflores777 likes this.
gingersnapgirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 253
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Thanks. Installed it. So if I enable proxy, AT&T will not be able to tell that I am tethering? What does "set the Proxy Server address of my computer browser to 0.0.0.0 port 8000" mean and how do I do it?
rlb4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #32 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
gingersnapgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Gender: Female
Posts: 301
 
Device(s): Moto X, Google Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 31
Thanked 59 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post
Thanks. Installed it. So if I enable proxy, AT&T will not be able to tell that I am tethering? What does "set the Proxy Server address of my computer browser to 0.0.0.0 port 8000" mean and how do I do it?
I've been using it for several months and have not heard a peep from AT&T about it, so I assume they don't know I'm using it. As far as the proxy server address, I'm not sure, because I only use it for my Nexus 7 which allows me to set that in the wi-fi connection settings.
gingersnapgirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 56
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnapgirl View Post
I have been using FoxFi with the add-on for a while now, and haven't heard a word from at&t
Just for clarification, tethering with foxfi still counts against your data plan?
sjamie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #34 (permalink)
Guv
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you!

WOW...I am brand new here and brand new to the S3.
Just downloaded FoxFi and if it continues to work undetected, it would be awesome.
Thanks guys!
Guv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
R0llTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 67
 
Device(s): HTC Eris -> HTC Incredible -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) IPad 2 Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
Just for clarification, tethering with foxfi still counts against your data plan?
Yes. From the play store - "FoxFi usage is covered under the same phone data plan you have and no tether plan needed." So if you have a capped plan you have have to watch your usage to make sure that you do not go over.
R0llTide is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

can someone post a link where to get this app now?
sugarspunz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
Guv
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarspunz View Post
can someone post a link where to get this app now?
This is the way I was told AT&T users had to go and it worked for me.
I assume it would be a work around for other carriers also.
I apologize for not giving credit where credit is due but I cannot find the original poster who posted this:

Link====> FoxFi Installer

How to install FoxFi if your carrier has removed it from Play Store:
1. Make sure "Unknown Sources" is checked in phone Settings (under Applications or Developer).

2. Uninstall the existing version of FoxFi if you already have it. 3. Tap on the following links to download the apk file for FoxFi.

4. From phone notifications select the downloaded file. This will install the latest FoxFi.
Guv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 230
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

the new app to use is Portable Wifi HotSpot. Its better than foxfi cuz it's free and works through the native hotspot function. It connects faster and is more stable
Thechidz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv View Post
This is the way I was told AT&T users had to go and it worked for me.
I assume it would be a work around for other carriers also.
I apologize for not giving credit where credit is due but I cannot find the original poster who posted this:

Link====> FoxFi Installer

How to install FoxFi if your carrier has removed it from Play Store:
1. Make sure "Unknown Sources" is checked in phone Settings (under Applications or Developer).

2. Uninstall the existing version of FoxFi if you already have it. 3. Tap on the following links to download the apk file for FoxFi.

4. From phone notifications select the downloaded file. This will install the latest FoxFi.
Thank you.

i dont quite understand how to do #1? i dont see anything under Developer Options or Application Manager that says anything about "unknown sources"

am i not looking in the right place?
sugarspunz is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sugarspunz For This Useful Post:
Ortiz750ss (February 1st, 2013)
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #40 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
gingersnapgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Gender: Female
Posts: 301
 
Device(s): Moto X, Google Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 31
Thanked 59 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarspunz View Post
Thank you.

i dont quite understand how to do #1? i dont see anything under Developer Options or Application Manager that says anything about "unknown sources"

am i not looking in the right place?
it's actually in the Security options
gingersnapgirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #41 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnapgirl View Post
it's actually in the Security options
Thank you

actually how do install the .apk? i have never done this.
sugarspunz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #42 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
gingersnapgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Gender: Female
Posts: 301
 
Device(s): Moto X, Google Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 31
Thanked 59 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarspunz View Post
Thank you

actually how do install the .apk? i have never done this.
once you download it to your phone (from the provided link, best to open it from the phone's browser), open it and it will prompt you to install it. I usually upload to dropbox and install from there.
gingersnapgirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 230
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechidz View Post
the new app to use is Portable Wifi HotSpot. Its better than foxfi cuz it's free and works through the native hotspot function. It connects faster and is more stable
welp my experiment with Portable Wifi Hotspot is over. I can confirm that Foxfi works MUCH better. I can't prove it but I think Verizon may have plugged some hole to handicap portable wifi hotspot because I was using it for a few days and it was working fine until I got a verizon carrier update a few days ago and portable wifi hotspot started working like crap. Foxfi is still working great though so I'm going to bite the bullet and just purchase the full version
Thechidz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
s3 at&t, wifi hotspot tethering


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3 > (AT&T) Galaxy S3 - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.