I do not own a G1 so this guide will take a day or two to complete so please me patient with me here, check back often, I have to go through every topic and see what questions get asked a lot so its not something that gets done in a few mins.
Android 2.2 (FroYo)?
--Google will not suppose the G1 anymore, so there will be no official 2.2 build but CM6 has an unofficial 2.2 FroYo build
that is pretty stable for everyday use.
--Its a hard process to tether the G1 from what I researched but here is a link that has PDANet on there, you'll have to get it on your phone too and you'll be able to USB Tether
Download for Windows/Mac: http://www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php
Black Screen on your G1
--You need to do a hard reset
, here's how to do it:
1. Hold the Home and Power keys down at same time for about 25 seconds.
3. Press Alt+L.
4. Press Alt+W for a factory reset.
5. Press the Home and Back keys again for about 25 seconds.
Unlock your G1 for free (have to have Tmobile service for at least 90 days)
1. Press the menu button
2. Press Settings > About Phone > Status
3. Scroll half way down the Status page and you will find your phone's IMEI number.
4. If you are going to use your G1 to call T-mobile, write the IMEI number down on a piece of paper
5. Call T-mobile customer service at 1-877-453-1304 or dial 611 from your G1
6. Tell customer service you want to the unlock code for your phone and give them the IMEI number you write down. The customer service rep has to fill out a request form. Once it is processed, they will e-mail you the unlock code with instructions on how to use it.
7. Once you have received your e-mail with the unlock code from T-Mobile, turn off your phone, remove your battery and replace your SIM card with one from another service provider.
8. Place the battery back in and turn your G1 back on.
9. Upon restart, your G1 will recognize the new SIM card and prompt you to enter the unlock code that you received. Enter your unlock code.
This was info was from http://www.ehow.com/how_4764120_sim-unlock-tmobile-g.html
so all credit goes to them.
Turn off data completely on G1 (Will work on all GSM Andoird phones)
--First make sure it doesn't try to connect to another carrier:
Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Networks > Data roaming <---Disable it
--Now change APN of Tmobile so its not able to connect to data-server at all:
Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names
*Change gprsinternet to gprsinternex
*Change internet.t-mobile to internet.x-mobile
(If you ever have to restore just change the "X" back to "T")
Bluetooth Support List
Blackberry Contacts to G1 Address book!??
[ROOT GUIDE] Stock-2-Cyanogen / Update ROM