Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > T-Mobile G1

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default is it possible to record your phone conversations?

hello guys, is it possible to recorder your phone conversations?

Advertisements
datbomb is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kabbie_mcfeely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 548
 
Device(s): Android G1 CyanogenMod 4.2.6
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

If there is a way be advised that it is not legal to record phone calls without telling the other person that you are doing it.

Google the federal and your state laws regarding this before you record a phone call.
kabbie_mcfeely is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I remember seeing a application on the G1 that was able to do a bunch of sneaky things: Record phone calls, make your caller ID number appear different, ect. I forgot the name of it but its def in the apps. I remember it was NOT free, either.
I thought phone calls where legal to record as long as one person in the speaking party was aware of it...I dunno..
Dont make me +5 you is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dont make me +5 you For This Useful Post:
kayosinc (November 1st, 2011)
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kabbie_mcfeely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 548
 
Device(s): Android G1 CyanogenMod 4.2.6
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont make me +5 you View Post
I remember seeing a application on the G1 that was able to do a bunch of sneaky things: Record phone calls, make your caller ID number appear different, ect. I forgot the name of it but its def in the apps. I remember it was NOT free, either.
I thought phone calls where legal to record as long as one person in the speaking party was aware of it...I dunno..

It depends on what state you and the other person is in.

You need to check the laws for your state and the state the other person is in. Also there are Federal laws regarding wire tapping.
kabbie_mcfeely is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbie_mcfeely View Post
It depends on what state you and the other person is in.

You need to check the laws for your state and the state the other person is in. Also there are Federal laws regarding wire tapping.
We all know that making or getting a call is not wire-tapping .... so no worries on that account regardless of where the call orginates..
justjimjpc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kabbie_mcfeely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 548
 
Device(s): Android G1 CyanogenMod 4.2.6
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Recording of a telephone coversation is wire tapping.
kabbie_mcfeely is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbie_mcfeely View Post
Recording of a telephone coversation is wire tapping.
No it is Not ... I quess you are a communications lawyer ....
Wire-Tapping is a third party activity ... a caller or called party has no reason to tap their own line ... to gain knowledge ... by your thoughts... it would follow that you answering message machine (or voice mail The calling party surely knows they are leaving a recorded message ) is wire-tapping ...
justjimjpc is offline  
Last edited by justjimjpc; January 19th, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

The Case of Monica Lewinsky and her friend (Linda Tripp) had recorded conversations that were held to be admissable ... be cause ONE party was aware ... (in DC and I believe VA) this is the Law ... but can definately vary from state to state....

Recorded conversations and notes of those conversations:
Some of Ms. Lewinsky's statements about the relationship were contemporaneously memorialized. These include deleted email recovered from her home computer and her Pentagon computer, email messages retained by two of the recipients, tape recordings of some of Ms. Lewinsky's conversations with Ms. Tripp, and notes taken by Ms. Tripp during some of their conversations. The Tripp notes, which have been extensively corroborated, refer specifically to places, dates, and times of physical contacts between the President and Ms. Lewinsky.(13)

footnote from GrandJury Testimony :
(13.) Ms. Tripp testified that she took notes on two occasions. Tripp 6/30/98 GJ at 141-42; Tripp 7/7/98 GJ at 153-54; Tripp 7/16/98 GJ at 112-13.
--------------------------------------------------------


Legal Definiton of :

Wiretapping

Eavesdropping on private conversations by connecting listening equipment to a telephone line. To be legal, wire tapping must be authorized by a search warrant or court order.

Topic Criminal Law :
The flip side is that the Fourth Amendment does permit searches and seizures that are considered reasonable. In practice, this means that the police may override your privacy concerns and conduct a search of your home, barn, car, boat, office, personal or business documents, bank account records, trash barrel, or whatever, if:
the police have probable cause to believe they can find evidence that you committed a crime, and a judge issues a search warrant, or
the particular circumstances justify the search without a warrant first being issued.
This is an issue that came up again after 911 and the invasion of privacy by the Bush Administration not getting prior Search Warrants from a special court...

======================= Eavesdropping ==========================
Definition of Eavesdropping:

Listening to conversations or observing conduct which is meant to be private, typically by using devices that amplify sound or light, such as stethoscopes or binoculars. The term comes from the common law offense of listening to private conversations by crouching under the windows or eaves of a house. Nowadays, eavesdropping includes using electronic equipment to intercept telephone or other wire communications, or radio equipment to intercept broadcast communications. Generally, the term "eavesdropping" is used when the activity is not legally authorized by a search warrant or court order; and the term "surveillance" is used when the activity is permitted by law. Compare electronic surveillance.

================================================== ================

So recording your own converstions in almost all jurisdictions is admissable ...
If you have ever watched any of the TV court programs they are allowed under law to use their recordings voice and text ... and as long as one of the parties is aware then it is not wire-tapping or eavesdropping ...

================================================== ==================
Federal court cancels Patriot Act's wiretap, gag orders
By Wilson P. Dizard IIISep 06, 2007
A federal district court today struck down the Patriot Act's provisions that allow the Justice Department and the FBI to eavesdrop on telecommunications and Internet traffic without obtaining court approval, and to impose perpetual secrecy about the very existence of National Security Letter (NSL) wiretaps.

NSL require a special warrant from A FISA court ... they thing that Bush Administration didnt think they were required to do ...


The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York issued a decision in John Doe [and others] v. Alberto Gonzales [and others] that effectively canceled the power of Justice and the FBI to issue NSLs and to impose gag orders that prevent recipients of the wiretap demands from revealing the orders' existence.
The decision in Doe v. Gonzalez severely crimps the broad telecommunications monitoring powers that Congress attempted to give to Justice in late 2001 in a bid to prevent terrorist attacks. The decision could have consequences for law enforcement and intelligence monitoring and processing of various kinds of telecommunications data streams, signaling information and content, which are subject to extensive data mining analysis.
The NSL gag orders prevent the recipients of the orders from disclosing the wiretap orders even to their closest family members.
Judge Victor Marrero stayed the enforcement of the ruling for 90 days to allow the government time to appeal the decision or to maintain the secret status of any information covered by the decision.
Marrero ruled that Doe, the sobriquet of an Internet Service Provider that had received an NSL, would not be bound by the gag order provisions of the Patriot Act. During the lengthy process of the case, Justice and the FBI had dropped their original demands for the Internet records they originally sought from Doe. Doe has been forced to use a pseudonym throughout the case to avoid potential incarceration as provided by the Patriot Act for persons who divulge the fact that they have received NSLs.
================================================== ===========================

Telephone tapping (or wire tapping/wiretapping in the US) is the monitoring of telephone and Internet conversations by a third party, often by covert means. The telephone tap or wire tap received its name because, historically, the monitoring connection was applied to the wires of the telephone line being monitored and drew off or tapped a small amount of the electrical signal carrying the conversation to gain knowledge of the information it contains. Legalized wiretapping by police or other recognized perental is otherwise known as lawful interception. Active Passive wiretapping attempts only to observe the flow, and wiretapping attempts to alter the data or otherwise affect the flow of data.

Main article: Telephone recording laws
Telephone tapping is officially strictly controlled in many countries to safeguard an individual's privacy; this is the case in all developed democracies. In theory, telephone tapping often needs to be authorized by a court, and is, again in theory, normally only approved when evidence shows it is not possible to detect criminal or subversive activity in less intrusive ways; often the law and regulations require that the crime investigated must be at least of a certain severity. In many jurisdictions however, permission for telephone tapping is easily obtained on a routine basis without further investigation by the court or other entity granting such permission. Illegal or unauthorised telephone tapping is often a criminal offense. However, in certain jurisdictions such as Germany, courts will accept illegally recorded phone calls without the other party's consent as evidence[citation needed] .
In the United States, federal agencies may be authorized to engage in wiretaps by the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, a court with secret proceedings, in certain circumstances.

Under United States federal law and most state laws there is nothing illegal about one of the parties to a telephone call recording the conversation, or giving permission for calls to be recorded or permitting their telephone line to be tapped. However the Telephone recording laws in some U.S. states require only one party to be aware of the recording, while other states require both parties to be aware. It is considered better practice to announce at the beginning of a call that the conversation is being recorded.

-----------------------------------------
State Laws (Table)

While the U.S. federal law only requires one-party consent, many states have accepted different laws. In some states all parties must give their consent or at least be notified that the call is about to be recorded (with necessary opt-out option: if you don’t like them to record the call, you can ask them to stop recording). There also was a case law decision from many years ago (the 1950's) that went to the Supreme Court and affirmed that the federal law does not supersede state authority/statutes unless the call or the tap crosses state lines – that is why each state went ahead and established their own guideline/statute.

States Requiring One Party Notification
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
District Of Columbia
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
KentuckyLouisiana
Maine
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
OklahomaOregon
Ohio
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming
States Requiring Two Party Notification

California
Connecticut
Delaware
FloridaMassachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
MontanaNew Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington
justjimjpc is offline  
Last edited by justjimjpc; January 19th, 2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: monica's friend with recorded telephone conversations
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

LOL @ overkill of information.
Dont make me +5 you is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont make me +5 you View Post
LOL @ overkill of information.
Sorry ... but the statement of recording is wire-tapping was too much to let pass ... especially as misinformation ... so the info was trying to cover all bases for the person who first wanted informed information ...

Try to keep most responses short and to the point ...

... and forgot the person might not be old enough to know Monica ...
justjimjpc is offline  
Last edited by justjimjpc; January 19th, 2009 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northamptonshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 686
 
Device(s): G1, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Google can talk?
Default

...remember it was Bob Dylan who sang blowing in the wind not Monica Lewinsky
__________________
You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Ageless Stranger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

lol all i wanted was a simple way to record a conversation, but thanks for all the info. the reason i ask is because i'm trying to record phone calls from a collections agency. i know they're recording the conversation, so why shouldn't i?
datbomb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbomb View Post
lol all i wanted was a simple way to record a conversation, but thanks for all the info. the reason i ask is because i'm trying to record phone calls from a collections agency. i know they're recording the conversation, so why shouldn't i?
if nothing else put the call on speaker phone and record with any other sound recorder ....
justjimjpc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 30
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbomb View Post
lol all i wanted was a simple way to record a conversation, but thanks for all the info. the reason i ask is because i'm trying to record phone calls from a collections agency. i know they're recording the conversation, so why shouldn't i?
yeah wouldn't it be amazing if people actually answered the original questions???
josh4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to josh4 For This Useful Post:
fastestSwimmer (November 19th, 2010)
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh4 View Post
yeah wouldn't it be amazing if people actually answered the original questions???
Or was accurate with the answers they give ..
justjimjpc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Btw, that App I was referring to is called: SpoofApp
I know nothing about it other then its desription on my G1 marketplace Apps list. Says you can record calls, change your voice and even change your caller ID number.
Maybe somebody wants to download it and try it. i dont feel like it. lol
Dont make me +5 you is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My wife conducts interviews on her G1 and I've tried a couple different apps for this purpose. Neither of them work 100%. Here's what I've tried:

Livo Recorder by Mach 1 Mobile: Records the conversation, but the person on the other end is very faint, I had to use audio editing software to turn it up and even then it didn't sound too good.

Phone Recorder by Mamoru Tokashiki: Records both ends of the conversation fine, but the person on the other end will get an annoying echo.

The legality of call recording varies from state to state, some states only require one party on the call to be aware that the call is being recorded (if you're recording your own calls, that one party is you, so you don't need to make the other person aware), some require both parties be aware, so you'd need to ask the other person's permission.
Buckethead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Oh, would be cool if there was an app that did it without any downsides.

I'm swedish so here it's perfectly legal as long as one party knows it. And i do so..
haer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I find it hilarious that the SpoofApp guys think people are really going to buy their no-name calling cards just to change their voice or do other worthless, basic functions.
Filament is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I know alot has to do with wire tapping but what if you have a third party wiretap their phone, or your phone? I am sure if someone familiar with loopholes disected the patriot act they could make a case. I mean it desolved freedoms with intent to spy on potential terrorists but if we give up freedoms we had no say in then why shouldnt americans have the right to record a conversation either directly or through a third party to prove a case.

if a case had to do with a giant corporation and your average Joe citizen the corporation would have all the rights whether they had te taps and the citizen would be screwed.

hence the importance of americans being more involved with politics,and government. The sham of protecting us is ridiculous when we give up our freedom in which this country was founded on.

I can only imagine how crazy technology is now, I have worked for 2 separate telecom companies that have technology that they can QA, or market via trigger words, or trends via these words to their benefit. Now if the telecom companies like Timewarner Cable, Comcast, DirecTV, DishNetwork, etc. have this technology it is a very uncomfortable thought on what our government posesses, what it is used for, and who regulates the individuals who use these.

Sorry if I went off topic a little...
dawgfude is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Who cares as long as you're not caught
halfam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

In ohio, only one party needs to know about the recording, AKA the person calling the other.
doiddroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation There are good (and legal) reasons to record calls

I am a physician who often has to provide medical advice over the phone. Being able to prove what I've told patients and emergency room doctors has been incredibly helpful ofer the years. (Yes, it's perfectly legal to record one's own conversations in my state, and I've even been able to enter such a recording in court.) I've been using a Palm Treo because it has an app that does this perfectly, but it's really old technology, and I'd love to get the Droid. (The only reason I've kept the Treo is this one app.)
So if anyone knows of an app for this (on any modern phone) please let me know.
lakero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 02:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakero View Post
I am a physician who often has to provide medical advice over the phone. Being able to prove what I've told patients and emergency room doctors has been incredibly helpful ofer the years. (Yes, it's perfectly legal to record one's own conversations in my state, and I've even been able to enter such a recording in court.) I've been using a Palm Treo because it has an app that does this perfectly, but it's really old technology, and I'd love to get the Droid. (The only reason I've kept the Treo is this one app.)
So if anyone knows of an app for this (on any modern phone) please let me know.
Try the Market app "vRecorder".
justjimjpc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default vRecord on Droid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjimjpc View Post
Try the Market app "vRecorder".
A post on androlib.com says vRecorder doesn't work on the Droid. Do you have any experience with that?
lakero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #26 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakero View Post
A post on androlib.com says vRecorder doesn't work on the Droid. Do you have any experience with that?
Sorry, no I did not know that the app would not work on the Droid.


justjimjpc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes it is possible. Google Voice lets you record ONLY incoming calls I beleive and there is a notification tone or message once you start recording but it worked great the one time I tried it.

I just downloaded another app today called "Call Recording for Android 1.6 only" which I have yet to try, which may not apply to you, dont recallif you were the one using droid or not.
Whask is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whask View Post
Yes it is possible. Google Voice lets you record ONLY incoming calls I beleive and there is a notification tone or message once you start recording but it worked great the one time I tried it.

I just downloaded another app today called "Call Recording for Android 1.6 only" which I have yet to try, which may not apply to you, dont recallif you were the one using droid or not.
Yes, I'm the Droid guy. Thanks for the tips.
lakero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 28
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Any developments on this topic? ... any good call recorders for the Droid?
androidforumsQuint is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 24
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

bump
davidjmorin is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 185
 
Device(s): Rogers HTC Dream (CyanogenMod)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidforumsQuint View Post
Any developments on this topic? ... any good call recorders for the Droid?
Not sure it will work on Droid, but try AirVoice. Requires root
__________________
Rogers: Canada's Reliable Network
Bell: "Ha ha"
WIND: "YOU BOTH SUCK"
The Fastest and Most Reliable. Period.
damnmad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #32 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hi,
there is new program AllCallRecorder. It records conversations. You can find it in android market.
allcallrecorder.com
Rimidalv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:56 AM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46
 
Device(s): Shopping :)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Do you have to be on speaker phone?
anoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:57 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Norril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Francisco/Silicon Valley area
Posts: 292
 
Device(s): Evo (comming soon!) Pixi Plus (verizon - data only for wifi hotspot) BB Curve (Sprint) Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 551
Thanked 140 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Bummer. Checked up on everything mentioned here and several others. They either don't work on new 2.x Android, they crash, sound bad, etc. Pretty slim pickins.
__________________
Chase-Bank

Just a fun link to see how much they lie to their customers. I will never bank with them again.
Norril is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:05 PM   #35 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbie_mcfeely View Post
Recording of a telephone coversation is wire tapping.
This made me lol so much I had to sign up.

If anyone ever finds anything, please update this thread, I'd appreciate it.
C8H10N4O2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I used to have older phones that had a record conversation feature. Not so much these days... IIRC it would only record your voice and not the other persons though.
silentsnow31802 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 26
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I've tried every app I could find with my Motorola Droid, but nothing worked. Finally I came across a post from someone who had tried to write an app, but discovered that Motorola had disabled call recording of any kind in the OS. Said it might be possible with some tweaks to a custom ROM.
This made me trade in my droid for the HTC Incredible, which I have currently. vRecord seems to be the best app so far...it automatically records all calls to the SD card, but it appears to only record through the microphone, so the other party's call comes through very very quiet compared to your own voice, but it is still audible and actually sounds decent if you have the call on speakerphone. Not a great solution, and nothing like the CallRec app I had on my old Palm, but it does work for now.
I too am waiting eagerly for someone to write an app that actually records both sides with decent quality, and I would pay generously for it. If anybody finds or writes one, please let us know.
timp123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It is perfectly legal to record your own calls no matter what and where ever you might be. The only thing that differs from state to state is the admissibility of the recorded phone call as evidence in a civil court. The government can use it against you, though, in criminal court. Ahhh tyranny!

Composed on my HTC EVO G4.
imagineth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjimjpc View Post
No it is Not ... I quess you are a communications lawyer ....
Wire-Tapping is a third party activity ... a caller or called party has no reason to tap their own line ... to gain knowledge ... by your thoughts... it would follow that you answering message machine (or voice mail The calling party surely knows they are leaving a recorded message ) is wire-tapping ...
You are wrong! Do not offer your personal oppinion in which someone might use it and get in to a lot of trouble.

Federal wide-tapping laws are as follows. You must verify that you are speaking with the inended party or an authorized representative for the party in which they state their name and relation. You must then state the call will be recorded.

No 3rd party needs to be involved. A recording of a telephone call or of a conversation (in a private dwelling) is wide-tapping.

You need not inform someone of a recording or video if in a public area or you have the permission of the property owner/official.


Any information obtained illegally will almost always be thrown out of court. You may also be held accountable for your actions.

Your car is also an extension of your home, however, you do not need to advise someone of a recording while you're in your car. You can record police pullovers as evidence if needed for your defense just as they do with audio and video in their cruisers.

I hope this helps.
nickkk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkk View Post
You are wrong! Do not offer your personal oppinion in which someone might use it and get in to a lot of trouble.

Federal wide-tapping laws are as follows. You must verify that you are speaking with the inended party or an authorized representative for the party in which they state their name and relation. You must then state the call will be recorded.

No 3rd party needs to be involved. A recording of a telephone call or of a conversation (in a private dwelling) is wide-tapping.

You need not inform someone of a recording or video if in a public area or you have the permission of the property owner/official.


Any information obtained illegally will almost always be thrown out of court. You may also be held accountable for your actions.

Your car is also an extension of your home, however, you do not need to advise someone of a recording while you're in your car. You can record police pullovers as evidence if needed for your defense just as they do with audio and video in their cruisers.

I hope this helps.
I'm sorry, but your post is devoid of value because of the following reasons:

1. according to me, you do not understand wire-tapping. As I understand it, but I am not an authority in this question, wire-tapping happens when someone eavesdrops on a communication between two people by exploiting the fact that the wire cannot be protected and therefore breaching the party's privacy without consent - historically done by climbing a pole or digging up a wire and tapping it. When you're at home and your partner of conversation is at their home, you cannot know of this act and therefore cannot protect your privacy. If you had a conversation at home with another person in the same room, and a third party walked in on you, you could tell them to leave the room because it is a private conversation. This is impossible with wiretapping.

2. you do not bring up any references. you try to be a mega-authority in terms of USA Federal Law yet bring up no laws to take account of. This has been done better earlier in this thread with people bringing up court orders and jury testimonies, in favor of the fact that YES INDEED, IT IS ALLOWED. You lack any legal support in your post. You didn't even use any basic logic to explain this, you just impose what is opinion, as unbeatable fact.

3. Even if it were completely outlawed according to the USA Federal laws, this is androidforums.com and not androidforumsunitedstatesofamerica.com. The Android operating system and the telephones can be used in other countries - you know other countries exist, right? So don't spoil the game for people who you didn't even think about. It is perfectly admissible to record your own conversations in Europe.

4. If someone sends me an email, and I save it on my HDD, is that eavesdropping? No, it's not. And neither is saving on my HDD audio streams that someone sends me. Sorry to rain on your parade, but there's little difference in this regard whether the conversation is aural, textual, or using taps on the other person's back in morse code.

5. Even if it were absolutely needed to warn the other person that you're recording, then it is still not illegal to record the conversation - you warn the other person, wait for their agreement, click record, and off you go. So, still, a lot of legitimate use, for people like me (business conversations for future reference), for reporters (interviews, telephone based reports from remote units), for lawyers (many lawyers will record face to face conversations with their clients for legal purposes and the other person knows about it), for anyone who's on call and gets paid by the minute (in order to prove the phone call existed and that work was being discussed during the phone call), and so on. The possibilities are really big, and the ones I have mentioned above do exclude routing the phone call through an external phone number for some phonecall recording service.


Therefore, taking all above posts to consideration, the current consensus is:

YES, IT IS LEGAL

YES, IT WOULD BE USEFUL

NO, THERE IS NOT ONE WORKING APP TO DO IT RIGHT NOW

YES, YOU SHOULD MAKE ONE IF YOU CAN
cheater is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:21 AM   #41 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

ALLCallRecorder mentioned somwhere above worked for me on my crappy Motorola Cliq running a rooted Android 1.5.

Infact I was a bit surprised at the quality of the recording. The app itself could use some work, but it does work.

and yeah, the "wire-tapping" dood is a nub. One person notification is all that is required in all but a handful of states.

Example in my state the statue states clearly:
R.I. Gen. Laws 11-35-21(c)(3) - It is lawful to intercept a communication if one is a party to the communication or has received the prior consent of a party to the communication.
Baywatch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #42 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbie_mcfeely View Post
If there is a way be advised that it is not legal to record phone calls without telling the other person that you are doing it.

Google the federal and your state laws regarding this before you record a phone call.

just plain not true. check your state for sure. i can tell you for a fact that in my state, it is perfectly legal to record any conversation that you are a part of.
(so there
thelimeyone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #43 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

oh, and its not wire tapping if you are part of the call.
thelimeyone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #44 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 143
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkk View Post
You are wrong! Do not offer your personal oppinion in which someone might use it and get in to a lot of trouble.

Federal wide-tapping laws...
I stopped reading his post after this...

And he used that phrase not only once, but twice.

Clearly his legal opinions are as good as that child at the street corner.

Maybe worse.
lolbug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #45 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

does anyone know anything about any of those cell spies, i see advertised all over the net.. do they work, can they be detected, and how would you block it if it did work.
bellC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #46 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimidalv View Post
hi,
there is new program AllCallRecorder. It records conversations. You can find it in android market.
allcallrecorder.com
How can I play these type of files on my PC? It is .3gp I have HTC EVO 4G with Android 2.2 I cannot even play this files on the phone as it has no facility to play them . Any info would be appreciated. TIA
maaa is offline  
Last edited by maaa; September 18th, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #47 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 143
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it's my understanding that...

- The Android infrastructure is setup that, the phone calls are handled by a separated radio processor, and...
- Unless the radio hardware/firmware is setup to provide 2-way voice signals...
- Then all those "call recording" programs can only record the voice through the microphone, which means...
- Your voice will be clear but in most of the cases, the other side will be muffled at best... That's why you see all those recorders have low ratings...
- A few Android phones are properly setup for these, and they even have built-in voice recorder... (Which Android Phone Has Native Call Recording Function...? - Android Forums)

See this... Issue 2117 - android - Enhancement: Call Recorder - Project Hosting on Google Code
lolbug is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lolbug For This Useful Post:
nageshwar.samala (October 26th, 2010)
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,888
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 275 Times in 223 Posts
Default

How about an app that automatically says the following statement before all your calls:

"This call may be recorded"
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #49 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 156
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Fellow View Post
How about an app that automatically says the following statement before all your calls:

"This call may be recorded"
Haha... Good idea, but gives us a contact-based on/off option.
andyrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baywatch View Post
ALLCallRecorder mentioned somwhere above worked for me on my crappy Motorola Cliq running a rooted Android 1.5.

Infact I was a bit surprised at the quality of the recording. The app itself could use some work, but it does work.

and yeah, the "wire-tapping" dood is a nub. One person notification is all that is required in all but a handful of states.

Example in my state the statue states clearly:
R.I. Gen. Laws 11-35-21(c)(3) - It is lawful to intercept a communication if one is a party to the communication or has received the prior consent of a party to the communication.
Where in RI do you live man? I moved outta that shithole lil over 4 years ago!
nicey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

T-Mobile G1
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The future of mobile phones has arrived���¢�¢Ã... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > T-Mobile G1
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.