Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > T-Mobile MyTouch 3G

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default MyTouch vs iPhone?

Has anyone used both the iPhone (3GS) and the MyTouch 3G extensively? Can you give me a comparison? I have used an iPhone/iPod touch a lot and I am wondering if I will be disappointed at all with the MyTouch.

How does the web browsing experience compare?

I use only GNU/Linux on my computer, so I am looking forward to that aspect of the phone if I get it. But will any UI or feature quirks make me wish I had gotten an iPhone?

Advertisements
phohammer is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 20th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

[long, but I suspect you crave details]

Although I have had an iPhone since Feb 2008, I grabbed a myTouch last month. That move came as a direct result of Apple's rejection of Google Voice, which works flawlessly on the MyTouch. As a business woman with multiple lines, I can't begin to tell you how much easier that has made things for me. BUT, turns out: a few unexpected pleasant surprises really opened my eyes in terms of the limitations of the iPhone.

First, keep in mind that the thing you're buying is supposed to be a phone, which means you'll want to hear the ringer. I can hear the MyTouch no matter how far away from the thing I may be in the house. With the iPhone, I have to be in the same room. Yes, I tried conjuring my own ringers, but the problem lies in the way the iPhone speaker is situated. Read: it's gonna yield a comparatively soft ring no matter what you do.

Second, I had forgotten what GPS can truly mean in a phone. The iPhone does not permit background apps, while virtually all other phones do. Examples: 1) With the MyTouch, I was able to get a free task app, which actually talks to me ("you have things to do") when I am physically approaching a task-related location. Since only apps open in the background can do this, no way will this feature be available on the iPhone. It's kinda like GTD on steriods. 2) Profiles: turn the phone/sound/notifications on/off on a schedule. Again, that's a not-in-this-life deal with the iPhone; it can be done manually only. 3) I like to see my agenda when I turn on the phone. No way with iPhone; widgets galore satisfy that and other itches on the M/T.

Third, over the life of the contract, the cost of owning a MyTouch is significantly less than the iPhone. I was willing to accept the long-term premium iPhone cost, until the Google Voice fiasco, and signal woes (below), materialized, by which time I was well beyond the 3GS return period. (I'm now using an iPhone app, Notify Me, to keep me informed of any changes to the AT&T page re Terms and Conditions, which will be my get-out-of-jail-free card.)

Fourth, until mid-July, I got 5-bar signal strength on my iPhone in the house. One day, things changed to a continuous fight between "No Service" and a barely noticeable blip. No rhyme or reason-- it just happened. Same thing on my husband's Razr, so I knew it wasn't a phone-specific problem. AT&T gave me a substantial credit, but my iPhone love affair had dimmed. All those calls that had dropped-- which I had shrugged off in years gone by--, no matter where I may have been along the eastern seaboard, came flooding back to memory. By comparison, I've also had the MyTouch up and down the East Coast-- I've yet to get anything less than 3-4 bars, and no dropped calls.

Given the reliability and convenience factors, I'm now squarely in the Android camp. Admittedly, the iPhone offers a more fluid or smoother overall experience, but to me, it's merely a matter of style over function. I can browse comfortably with the M/T, although I had to get used to it-- the iPhone had really spoiled me in that regard via its pinch-to-zoom feature. But, once I got used to the Android version (tap the magnifying glass), it was fine.

Even beyond Google Voice, for me, this is the tipping point: I spent a few hundred bucks buying the iPhone. That makes it mine, something Apple fails to comprehend. Apple seems wedded to the idea that the iPhone is on loan, as they dictate what can and cannot be done with it, absent jailbreaking. Once that reality set in, I was no longer willing to accept the other snafus associated with the iPhone, and acted accordingly. Note: At some point, the FCC will cure this ill. In the meantime, my cure = the MyTouch.

Only you will know what satisfies you best. If you want the phone to play with it, the iPhone will undoubtedly satisfy... as will the M/T. But if you're looking for a TRUE phone that YOU own, with all that suggests, the M/T will likely prove a better fit.

Just one gal's opinion!
iPhone2MyTouch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

So I got the myTouch 3G and I love it! Background processes make this a completely different animal than an iPhone or my iPod touch! I'm very happy with my decision.
phohammer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok... I've got a couple people offering to trade me their MyTouch for my iPhone 3G 8BG... I just seek some advice... I love the whole Android thing, I hate how apple restricts apps but then again people go around apple to create apps for the iPhone so really Google Voice is there for the iPhone just you have to jailbreak, and download it behind apples back which is stupid I own thep phone I should do what I want with it anyway...

Anyway... Can anyone tell me what exactly makes MyTouch better...
Is there much of a difference in web browsing except pinch / zoom?
Is there really lag when scrolling in the Android?
How much RAM is free on the android at first boot ? I got my iphone to 62 MB free at boot, and I have it multi-tasking with backgrounder, not perfect but it works.
I really want to get into the Android Community I just want to know which Phone should I be trading my iPhone for, I hate to trade for something with less performance in an overall browser/app and all that good stuff...


Thanks!
maxjivi05 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
clitrenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wisconsin - USA
Gender: Female
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s (work), Galaxy S5 Active, Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Gear 2 Neo
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 8
Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
clitrenta
Default

I have the MyTouch after many years with Blackberry and assorted other smart phones. I love Android and am very happy with the MyTouch. There will always be things that one phone can do better over another. Apple will probably be king of media for a long time but after all, it IS a phone and that is the most important factor. After that I guess it's a matter of what's important to you. You might also want to look at Google's new Nexus One although for me, that's a real gamble because I NEVER like buying devices I can't first put my hands on and on top of that, it's supported directly by Google and who really knows how well that will go. With T-Mo, I could just call them or walk into a store. I would never switch to an iPhone, mostly because I think AT&T stinks, at least in my area. What good is it if it doesn't do it's basic function - a phone? I also like the idea that if I really like Android (which I do), I can go to most any other carrier and get an Android device, all without missing a beat. Android devices may not be quite there yet in some ways when compared to iPhone but I definitely see it getting there, especially if AT&T doesn't get it's act together. I see nothing but good things for Android in the future and I'm willing to invest my time and money in getting to know this new kid on the block as I fully expect it to yield dividends in the future.
__________________
Connie L
clitrenta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

if you are used to the iphone. ANY android device will seem unpolished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phohammer View Post
Has anyone used both the iPhone (3GS) and the MyTouch 3G extensively? Can you give me a comparison? I have used an iPhone/iPod touch a lot and I am wondering if I will be disappointed at all with the MyTouch.

How does the web browsing experience compare?

I use only GNU/Linux on my computer, so I am looking forward to that aspect of the phone if I get it. But will any UI or feature quirks make me wish I had gotten an iPhone?
djclark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Razr MAXX.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone2MyTouch View Post
[long, but I suspect you crave details]


I spent a few hundred bucks buying the iPhone. That makes it mine, something Apple fails to comprehend. Apple seems wedded to the idea that the iPhone is on loan, as they dictate what can and cannot be done with it, In the meantime, my cure = the MyTouch.

just one gal's opinion!
AMEN!!

Broke my contract with ATT because of this and got T-Mobile and a My-Touch it not as polished as Iphone buy i can do what i want with it. And i love it.

Chuck
sinclac is offline  
Last edited by sinclac; January 11th, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ZoomZoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 42
 
Device(s): MyTouch 3G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djclark View Post
if you are used to the iphone. ANY android device will seem unpolished.
I agree. My wife uses iPhone and when I compare the functions side by side, no doubt that iPhone is much superior in the followings:

* Touch Screen
* Overall deisgn - How slick, slim and smooth it is compared to bulky MyTouch
* App library - although Android market is growing, I am curious if different OS compatibility issues may rise

I went with MyTouch just because I hate Apple. I run linux alot and I wanted to support open source market over restricted market.
One thing I am not satisfied with the phone is touch screen and camera.
Other than that, I really am satisfied with what it offers.
I've been in the IT field over 10+ years and the integration of Google Apps + Android is top notch!
ZoomZoom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BiGMERF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,080
 
Device(s): Transformer Prime and GSM Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 57
Thanked 273 Times in 208 Posts
Send a message via AIM to BiGMERF Send a message via Yahoo to BiGMERF Tainosolja@gmail.com
Default

Plain and simple i MISS my Iphone dearly! Although i save 30 a month, i beginning to believe the 30 bucks may have been worth it. Not having to worry about force closures, freezes, apps clashing, etc. makes it worth it.Plus when apple updates they update everyone! not leave people in the past when the phone is only 4 months old! pathetic
__________________
Twitter= BiGMERF
Google Plus = http://bit.ly/vfQSe8
BiGMERF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
happyfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southbay California!
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): t-mobile mytouch 3g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i love my mytouch but my brothers iphone apps kill all of mine
happyfeet is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
clitrenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wisconsin - USA
Gender: Female
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s (work), Galaxy S5 Active, Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Gear 2 Neo
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 8
Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
clitrenta
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
I agree. My wife uses iPhone and when I compare the functions side by side, no doubt that iPhone is much superior in the followings:

* Touch Screen
* Overall deisgn - How slick, slim and smooth it is compared to bulky MyTouch
* App library - although Android market is growing, I am curious if different OS compatibility issues may rise

I went with MyTouch just because I hate Apple. I run linux alot and I wanted to support open source market over restricted market.
One thing I am not satisfied with the phone is touch screen and camera.
Other than that, I really am satisfied with what it offers.
I've been in the IT field over 10+ years and the integration of Google Apps + Android is top notch!
Just as a side note, not everyone wants the slimest thing running. I actually returned a phone once because, nice as it was, it was just too slim and it was a bit like carrying a bar of soap around waiting for it to jump out of my hand. All of the new iPods/phones are sleek but I sure have my hands full hanging onto one. Sometimes bigger reallys is better.
clitrenta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My roommate has a Iphone3g and I have a Mytouch3g, after using both of them neck and neck (My phone has been rooted) for the most part. Her phone will load google maps and will make a phone call faster than mine. But those are very small in comparison to what I want in a phone. Mytouch3g wins, sorry apple. I like having tons of free apps, music, and games to dl.
andmay9358 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
InstantKarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, Tejas
Posts: 988
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE rooted stock, Nexus 7 stock
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 58
Thanked 146 Times in 117 Posts
Default

I can remember when Steve Jobs announced and demo'd the first iPhone, and I was all kinds of excited. Then it was announced that it was going to be exclusive to Cingular, and I was less excited. Then a couple months later, AT&T bought Cingular and I completely lost interest.

I love my iPods, including the Touch. I wouldn't do business with AT&fuckingT if they were the last phone company on the planet and they were giving their service away.

I've been very happy with my MyTouch. My only source of frustration was that the contacts/dialer would lag like nobody's business, but that seems to have gone away on its own. Plus now, I have Google Voice, and their voicemail system blows T-Mobile's Visual Voicemail out of the water.

I'm so happy, I may even forget that I'm getting annoyed at T-Mobile, when my contract runs out next year. lol
InstantKarma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KS
Posts: 73
 
Device(s): T-Mobile Sensation
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

The iphone 3gs is alot better, lots faster, no lagging, force closures or anything like that. Now on the other hand, droid and N1 are better than the 3gs
Nexus1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Worthless quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1 View Post
The iphone 3gs is alot better, lots faster, no lagging, force closures or anything like that. Now on the other hand, droid and N1 are better than the 3gs

LoL, of course the droid and N1 are better than the 3gs....... Glad you decided to read the spec sheets, now just read the title of the thread .


Only reason that Iphone was better to me was the time it took to access my dialer. After Cyanogenmod update, class 6 sdcard, and 10mb hack, I doubt the iphone is a lot faster.
As far as saying a lot better? Wow what a narrow statement......
I like to have a phone that feels like it is mine, not just some number off an assembly line. I like my black notification bar, loading screens, as far as customization and user interface the mytouch wins to me.



"Iphones are made for people that want a smart phone but aren't necessarily smart"
andmay9358 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KS
Posts: 73
 
Device(s): T-Mobile Sensation
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andmay9358 View Post
LoL, of course the droid and N1 are better than the 3gs....... Glad you decided to read the spec sheets, now just read the title of the thread .


Only reason that Iphone was better to me was the time it took to access my dialer. After Cyanogenmod update, class 6 sdcard, and 10mb hack, I doubt the iphone is a lot faster.
As far as saying a lot better? Wow what a narrow statement......
I like to have a phone that feels like it is mine, not just some number off an assembly line. I like my black notification bar, loading screens, as far as customization and user interface the mytouch wins to me.



"Iphones are made for people that want a smart phone but aren't necessarily smart"
LOL you are very true...I loved how customizable the mytouch was but im just saying...The iphone 3gs is really no comparison to a mytouch. Yes, the mytouch is better than a 3G, but not 3gs. To me i like bigger screens and faster phones and of all the mytouches ive had, they just dont really deliver that kind of response (quickness). I will say that that i love how cool they are when they are rooted and running a CM or a hero rom. Lol i got into an argument with this person the other day because they said they have 3gigs of RAM installed onto their sd card. LMAO really??? The most ive seen was a 10mb hack but thats about as far as you can go.
Nexus1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok, I have an unlocked Iphone that I've been using with Tmobile for a couple of years now. Loved it of course but hate that it cant be updated because of the whole locking up again thing. Bought a G1 last year. It's ok but NOT an iphone. Just bought a Mytouch and here are my thoughts. Still nothing compares to the coolness and ease of the iphone. The mytouch is MUCH better than the G1 but I have one major complaint. Is it just me or is it a lot harder to text with the small key pad on the Mytouch?? Is the Nexus one the same for texting?
Dane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 76
 
Device(s): Nexus One - stock for 10 minutes. then rooted so I could tether my ipad. stock rom for now. MyCRAP
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Even my rooted MT3G with 2.1 does not come close to the iphone 2G. The only thing the MT3G has over my iPhone 2G is it has an AF camera and 3G. Everything else on my jailbroke iphone with background apps runs flawlessly. Even Google Voice app via cydia.
spongebobnopants is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebobnopants View Post
Even my rooted MT3G with 2.1 does not come close to the iphone 2G. The only thing the MT3G has over my iPhone 2G is it has an AF camera and 3G. Everything else on my jailbroke iphone with background apps runs flawlessly. Even Google Voice app via cydia.
I am in the same boat, I switched to my touch 3g after having an iphone 2g for about >2 years. My touch is slow, and more buggy constant wait/force apps to close. I would have bought a new iphone 3gs, but apple store and att wouldnt sell it to me. So, I said screw them and bought the my touch 3g out anger, in stead of going on ebay to buy Iphone. Kinda have buyers remorse.
ineedafreakyone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wish there was a way to test/play with a Nexus One.....................
Dane is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
jfritzs2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 392
 
Device(s): T-Mobile MyTouch 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
Default

I know that the iPhone is faster than Mytouch. It is, and even with the newest rom or 2.1 the iPhone will be faster in opening apps, the dialer, and it won't get force closes, etc. However, the iPhone even jailbroken isn't as customizable and personal as a Mytouch. Speed isn't where Mytouch or any earlier Android phone will beat out iPhone. Its the only very important details.
- Customization
- Not having to use the iTunes store and feeling like you are just being worked over and nickel and dimed
- Expandable Memory
- Interchangeable batteries
- Multi-tasking
- Google backing you up!
- Widgets
- Not dealing with AT&T and enjoying Tmobile
- Having the fastest 3G - Proof
- Least expensive data and voice plans
- Unlimited Voice over Internet Protocol with Tmobile @Home!
And so much more!!

Seriously, I know that the iPhone is quicker and more fluid and smooth, but thats not all that makes a phone. Apple doesn't know that, at all - the iPhone, 3G, and 3GS are the same phone, just a bit smaller and faster than the earlier ones!!! Sure they have more apps, but they've been at it for a year and a half longer!

Obviously you know my choice, I can deal with a force close here or there, but I can't go back after all of the advantages of the Mytouch or any other Android phone.
__________________
Rooted T-Mobile Mytouch4G
CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies
16GB Class 6 Micro SD
www.twitter.com/jordanfritzsche
If you use my work, make it worth the time and donate! - Click here
jfritzs2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I agree with pretty much everything you said. But....the texting is annoying on the mytouch. Please tell me its different on the Nexus one????
Dane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BiGMERF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,080
 
Device(s): Transformer Prime and GSM Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 57
Thanked 273 Times in 208 Posts
Send a message via AIM to BiGMERF Send a message via Yahoo to BiGMERF Tainosolja@gmail.com
Default

better on the nexus.. more room
BiGMERF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
jfritzs2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 392
 
Device(s): T-Mobile MyTouch 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
I agree with pretty much everything you said. But....the texting is annoying on the mytouch. Please tell me its different on the Nexus one????
I do get annoyed with the typing on it, however it definitely depends on the keyboard that you are using. The default is way too compact, I understand if devs were trying to make it cool by being compact, but it just not usable.

"Better Keyboard" is a great one! It widens and makes the keyboard taller so its just all around easier to type with. But I had been using a like version 2.x for a long time, then decided to go ahead and upgrade to like 4.x and everything was just a lesser experience! I didn't like it so much that I gave it up and went back to the default.

Now I'm using "Touch Input" or HTC IME its a dream! I love it! The one feature that makes it so great, although there are many, is that it automatically saves words that you type that you force select to be put in your text. Like you type out "crap," its not normally in the dictionary, instead veal comes up, but if I select crap to be put in the text it saves the word to the dictionary.

So I know that the default is bad, but there are other options out there for Mytouch.
jfritzs2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Now I didnt think about looking for an "app" keyboard. Thank you for the suggestion and I hope I can find it. I'm really thinking about getting the Nexus one but it's very expensive considering you cant even try one out first.
Dane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 127
 
Device(s): nexus one
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to omeyga
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGMERF View Post
better on the nexus.. more room
^^x2

It's much better on the N1. For the short time I had my myTouch 3Gs I used better keyboard from the marketplace. Well worth the purchase price if you're going to keep the myTouch.
omeyga is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clitrenta View Post
Just as a side note, not everyone wants the slimest thing running. I actually returned a phone once because, nice as it was, it was just too slim and it was a bit like carrying a bar of soap around waiting for it to jump out of my hand. All of the new iPods/phones are sleek but I sure have my hands full hanging onto one. Sometimes bigger reallys is better.
Nexus One has this problem too. Thin is not everything. MyTouch is lighter and has a smaller outline. It has a shape and rubber back that you can actually hold onto. It has a few essential real buttons. Ergonomically it is a really nice phone.
Adad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
sensesfail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 314
 
Device(s): Mytouch 3g-black 1.slow 16gb Iphone 3g :-p
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Well... i spent about 2 or 3 months with the mytouch and now i have spent about 1 week with my iphone 3g... I dont think I would ever go back to the mytouch unless i had too... i dont think you can even put the iphone and mytouch in the same category...
__________________
"Umm Redbull, could you please let go of my hand now?"
sensesfail99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
New Member
 
happyfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southbay California!
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): t-mobile mytouch 3g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

^^^ yup i had the mytouch for a few months as well and now just got an iphone a couple days ago. you would have to hold a gun to my for my to go back to a mytouch iphone FTW!!!!!
happyfeet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
 
shawn1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,181
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - 32GB Gold iPhone 5s - 16GB Nexus 7 (2nd gen) - Chromecast
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 188
Thanked 290 Times in 208 Posts
Default

HA HA you guys speak for yourself. The new 1.2 is right on par with the iphone. It has more RAM (288MB) and while the processor is slightly throttled down, it's not like we're talking about the differences between a celeron and quad core duo.

Last time I checked, you still can't multitask and there's no removable battery. So god forbid something happens. Better pony up another $400/$500 for a new one.

The only noticeable advantage is the plethora of apps and if that's your only criteria then so be it. As for me, I'm a grown ass man and I don't need a whole bunch of kiddie apps to tide me over. Android has everything I need to get by in life. There's no way I could possibly ever use all 30,000 apps in the Android database.
shawn1224 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
sensesfail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 314
 
Device(s): Mytouch 3g-black 1.slow 16gb Iphone 3g :-p
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1224 View Post
HA HA you guys speak for yourself. The new 1.2 is right on par with the iphone. It has more RAM (288MB) and while the processor is slightly throttled down, it's not like we're talking about the differences between a celeron and quad core duo.

Last time I checked, you still can't multitask and there's no removable battery. So god forbid something happens. Better pony up another $400/$500 for a new one.

The only noticeable advantage is the plethora of apps and if that's your only criteria then so be it. As for me, I'm a grown ass man and I don't need a whole bunch of kiddie apps to tide me over. Android has everything I need to get by in life. There's no way I could possibly ever use all 30,000 apps in the Android database.

I have 2 apps on my iphone... so no, thats not why its better... the keyboard IMHO blows away the mytouch keyboard. Im on tmobile so i cant use 3g on my iphone, so I did a test to see which phone is faster... my wife has a mytouch too and we loaded the same web pages at the same time and my iphone still beat her mytouch when she was using 3g. Also 400 to 500 for a new device? if something breaks? no its called getting it fixed and its a lot cheaper then you think.... And lastly... can someone tell me how much a mytouch 1.2 is, without any discount???? also no, im not an apple fan boy, I actually use a zune hd mp3 player and i think it and the zune market are by far better then itunes and the ipod touch!
sensesfail99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ngo93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 588
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 71
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I prefer the mytouch over the iphone. Just so much more customization options with all the themes, home replacements and widgets. I used to always want an iphone but now I'd much rather have the mytouch.
And typing isn't really an issue for meseeing as I have swype, love it so much. Yeah the iphone is a much sleeker and smoother device but I really just like how android works. Also multitasking is pretty nice.

And I tested internet speeds against my friends 3GS and my mytouch was faster. Though I see so many different results on the speed when reading other peoples tests. And then a whole nother world of customization options open up if I ever decide to root.
Ngo93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ngo93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 588
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 71
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I prefer the mytouch over the iphone. Just so much more customization options with all the themes, home replacements and widgets. I used to always want an iphone but now I'd much rather have the mytouch.

And typing isn't really an issue for me seeing as I have swype, love it so much. Yeah the iphone is a much sleeker and smoother device but I really just like how android works. Also multitasking is pretty nice.

And I tested internet speeds against my friends 3GS and my mytouch was faster. Though I see so many different results on the speed when reading other peoples tests. And then a whole nother world of customization options open up if I ever decide to root.
Ngo93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
 
shawn1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,181
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - 32GB Gold iPhone 5s - 16GB Nexus 7 (2nd gen) - Chromecast
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 188
Thanked 290 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensesfail99 View Post
I have 2 apps on my iphone... so no, thats not why its better... the keyboard IMHO blows away the mytouch keyboard.
Which is definitely a personal opinion because IMHO swype bests any other keyboard on the market ... period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensesfail99 View Post
Im on tmobile so i cant use 3g on my iphone, so I did a test to see which phone is faster... my wife has a mytouch too and we loaded the same web pages at the same time and my iphone still beat her mytouch when she was using 3g.
Was your cache cleared on the iphone? how about the mytouch? I'm sorry but there's no way you can convince me that 2G speeds are faster than 3G speeds on any device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensesfail99 View Post
Also 400 to 500 for a new device? if something breaks? no its called getting it fixed and its a lot cheaper then you think....
That may be but still isn't as easy as just taking out the battery and replacing it ... now is it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sensesfail99 View Post
And lastly... can someone tell me how much a mytouch 1.2 is, without any discount????
I'm on the even more plus plan and paid $399 without it being subsidized (w/8GB sd card).

Non-commit pricing for iphone w/8GB - $599

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensesfail99 View Post
also no, im not an apple fan boy, I actually use a zune hd mp3 player and i think it and the zune market are by far better then itunes and the ipod touch!
That's great to hear but you can understand where I'm coming from when you made the comment about not even being in the same category. I have no problems accepting the iphone as a great device and never once did i say the mytouch is better, but for them to not be close to being on par with each other sounds a little fan-boyish.
shawn1224 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
sensesfail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 314
 
Device(s): Mytouch 3g-black 1.slow 16gb Iphone 3g :-p
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

shawn

I understand where youre coming from about the fan boy thing... thats why i let you know about the zune and not being one :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1224 View Post
Which is definitely a personal opinion because IMHO swype bests any other keyboard on the market ... period.



Was your cache cleared on the iphone? how about the mytouch? I'm sorry but there's no way you can convince me that 2G speeds are faster than 3G speeds on any device.



That may be but still isn't as easy as just taking out the battery and replacing it ... now is it?




I'm on the even more plus plan and paid $399 without it being subsidized (w/8GB sd card).

Non-commit pricing for iphone w/8GB - $599



That's great to hear but you can understand where I'm coming from when you made the comment about not even being in the same category. I have no problems accepting the iphone as a great device and never once did i say the mytouch is better, but for them to not be close to being on par with each other sounds a little fan-boyish.
sensesfail99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
InstantKarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, Tejas
Posts: 988
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE rooted stock, Nexus 7 stock
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 58
Thanked 146 Times in 117 Posts
Default

I have an Ipod Touch that I really loved when I first got it. Since I bought my MyTouch, I barely touch the thing, and then only to play music or podcasts. I'm seriously thinking of giving it to my girlfriend and getting a Zune HD in a couple months.

I wouldn't do business with AT&T if their phones were free and came with a blowjob, and my opinion of Apple has been going downhill lately, too.

I liked my MyTouch a lot before I rooted, and have been in love with it since then. If you guys like your Iphones, well bully for you, but this is not the Iphone forum.
InstantKarma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
sensesfail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 314
 
Device(s): Mytouch 3g-black 1.slow 16gb Iphone 3g :-p
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Well good for me karma because I have a mytouch3g still too :-P

As for mp3 players I would highly recommend a Zune hd over the Ipod touch. The zune software is a little tricky to get setup on some computers due to the fact that for some unknown reason it just likes to crash randomly. However a couple months back they released a new version of the zune network/market and its been amazing ever since. The two downfalls of the zune IMHO are #1 no built in speaker and #2 It does not always keep a connection with the internet. It only connects when you are using the internet, Facebook app (just recently came out for the zune) and when your using the zune market on the zune itself. The reason i say this is a down fall is because it seems like sometimes the Zune has such a hard time finding the connection and actually being able to use it.

The biggest thing I like about zune is the zune pass, which is for like 14.95 a month you have unlimited downloads on your computer and zune. Its like renting music. They also give you 10 free songs per month with the pass. Those 10 songs are now yours to do what you want with :-) So for all the Ipod users EAT YOUR HEART OUT Apple are so greedy I doubt theyll ever offer that kind of a deal!!!!!

Now for mytouch vs Iphone... each has pros and cons

to list a few for each phone

Mytouch3g-pros are The email is amazingly fast, The ease of customization, ease of creating ring tones for FREE, Led notification light and call me weird, but I think one of my favorite features of the mytouch is being able to turn the sounds all the way down on the phone and being able to take a picture of someone without the phone making any noise indicating youve just taken the picture! Perfect for the pictures of the weird people at wal mart :-P, also open source!!!! also 3g actually being able to be used.

Cons-The screen size, the native keyboard is horrible. (swype is better, but swype still has some kinks to be worked out), for the people with the 1.0 mytouch the no head phone jack is ridic!

iphone-pros-The keyboard is amazing! The web browser is amazing, the facebook app is a lot better then the mytouch(im sure thats only temporary. I bet the mytouch fb app will get a lot better with 2.1), the screen size.

cons-IMHO unless the iphone is jail broke I wouldnt even consider of using it. The fact that Apple actually wants you to pay 1.99 or some crap per ring tone is ridic! So if you want free ringtones you have to go through the hassle of jail breaking and then converting files. HUGE CON is that if you accidentally update your unlocked Iphone, kiss it good bye because their is no hack for the current base band and there is no scheduled release date on one... its almost like waiting for 2.1, but not being able to use the phone in the mean time. Another con is no background, the weather bug app you actually have to open it to see the temp and such, not like on the mytouch where it actually keeps the button updated!

So there you have it... I think my list for the cons is actually bigger on the Iphone, but the ease of using the keyboard and the phone not lagging so bad is the selling point of the iphone to me.
I DO NOT recommend the Iphone for someone who isnt looking to at least jail break it *I think it voids your warranty though*

The mytouch is a great phone, but the keyboard and the phones snail pace really turns me away from it. After 2.1 comes out for it Ill go back and try again to see if it actually helps anything. I am pretty optimistic that it will. I had the Blackberry storm from the time it came out til like 3 months ago and the keyboard got better and better with each update :-)

After I run 2.1 for a while and see how it is, Ill try to root my phone and see what thats all about and then ill give my conclusions on a rooted mytouchg vs an unlocked and jail broke Iphone.


BTW Karma I love your avatar! When i went through my piercing stage in high school my gf gave me a teddy bear and i put a bunch of safety pins and such through him to make him look all pierced up :-p!!!!
sensesfail99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
InstantKarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, Tejas
Posts: 988
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE rooted stock, Nexus 7 stock
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 58
Thanked 146 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensesfail99 View Post
for the people with the 1.0 mytouch the no head phone jack is ridic!
Two words: bluetooth headphones. Not that I listen to a lot of music on the phone, and when I do it's Pandora radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensesfail99 View Post
iphone-pros-The keyboard is amazing! The web browser is amazing, the facebook app is a lot better then the mytouch(im sure thats only temporary. I bet the mytouch fb app will get a lot better with 2.1), the screen size.
I hated Safari the few times I used my iPod Touch to browse the web, but that's probably just me. Have never seen what the problem is with the FB app, but again, that's just me. I rarely feel a strong urge to log on to FB from the phone, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensesfail99 View Post
I DO NOT recommend the Iphone for someone who isnt looking to at least jail break it *I think it voids your warranty though*
You think? I assure you, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensesfail99 View Post
The mytouch is a great phone, but the keyboard and the phones snail pace really turns me away from it. After 2.1 comes out for it Ill go back and try again to see if it actually helps anything.
Dude, just root the bloody thing! It's not even your primary phone anymore, what do you have to worry about? It took me about 40 minutes to root and install a custom rom.

I wouldn't go so far as to say mine flies since I rooted, but I think it's comparable to iPod Touch speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensesfail99 View Post
BTW Karma I love your avatar! When i went through my piercing stage in high school my gf gave me a teddy bear and i put a bunch of safety pins and such through him to make him look all pierced up :-p!!!!
Piercing stage in high school?! I'm 47, you little f**ker, I didn't get my first piercing 'til I was 40!!!! lolololol

Ummmm, thanks. Seriously, that last paragraph is gonna have me chuckling myself to sleep.
InstantKarma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
sensesfail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 314
 
Device(s): Mytouch 3g-black 1.slow 16gb Iphone 3g :-p
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I got my first piercings the day before I was 18. They were both my nipples. I also had my labret done and eye brow, but I've taken those out. At 26 I still have my nipples and now have 4 tattoos and 1 brand of a star.
sensesfail99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
happyfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southbay California!
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): t-mobile mytouch 3g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

all i got to say is never seeing the "forceclose" pop up on my phone is totally worth it. and its all about user prefrence, im a heavy texter and i love my ipod, the mytouch was just too slow for me it had way more of a lag than the iphone.. iphone FTW!!!!
happyfeet is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #41 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
SukDeezNutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 95
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy 2 II (T989) w/ ICS 4.0.3!!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Default

My wife got a myTouch 3G (new one with headphone jack) and after playing around with it for an hour, i sold my iPhone 2G and bought one for myself. The myTouch blows it out of the water (and yes it was unlocked and jailbroken). Even with all the Cydia apps i had it still doesnt compare. The ONLY thing the iPhone has over the myTouch is the touch screen. i wish the myTouch screen was as responsive as the iPhone, but as for everything else it kills it. Obviously the iPhone has tons more apps but if you were to have an iPhone with AT&T and not jailbreak it, it would never be able to keep up with the myTouch. All the stuff i had on my iPhone was via Cydia, on the myTouch, FREE.

Obviously my opinion, but i would never have an iPhone without jailbreaking it.
SukDeezNutz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:03 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
jfritzs2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 392
 
Device(s): T-Mobile MyTouch 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
Default

I really hate this thread, I hope after this post, it will just fade away into non-existence on page 14, never to be heard of again.

The iPhone screen size is 3.5" diagonal, the Mytouch has a 3.2" diagonal screen, that means that there is 0.0923" less on the Mytouch width, and 0.2076" less on the height. Incredible! All the difference in the world! Yet they both have the same amount of pixels 320x480. Not a big, I'm pretty sure that the like half inch of black space above and below the screen on the iPhone make it look huge compared to the Mytouch when really it actually isn't that much bigger because for the whole device its only 0.05" bigger in height and 0.2" wider than the Mytouch.

The Default keyboard for the Mytouch isn't that bad, do I use it? No. But after wipes of my phone it takes me a few days to even realize that I have not been using a custom keyboard. I know that the iPhone has a good keyboard, I do like it and congratulate Apple for making a good keyboard, but because its good doesn't make the Mytouch terrible.

No headphone jack for the Mytouch is not cool, I don't know why they did they, but hey I don't care, the better way to go for listening to music and so I don't have to have white corded headphones is to go with bluetooth headphones, can iPhone do that? Oh, oh now it can, with the third update to it? Hmmm, don't make Mytouch look ******ed for upgrades added in the future Apple did that too.

As far as apps, Facebook has been updated, not the best still, but hey if you must know everything about your Facebook friends so much that you can't wait to get to a computer, then there are problems much deeper than with certain phones. Or if using a Mytouch, you can just tether it to your laptop and tada, the internet! While I'm talking about apps, the thing that Android has learned about apps from Apple is that some apps are just ridiculous and it doesn't need to fill its Market numbers with crap apps. All of the good app ideas Android did immediately. I hope it will be a long time before Android fills it's Market with 60,000 farting applications, zipper sounds, and other random over expensive pointless apps. Proof that Apple users just buy things because they are expensive, apps included.

The iPhone has a faster processor and close to double the amount of ram. Yes its going to be a bit faster and yes smoother. If you were looking for speed beyond a phone's hardware, well technology just isn't there yet. So yes the iPhone is faster and smoother, after using this makes the iPhone user feel superior to all. But hey, you know what, maybe I spoke too soon because what if we gave the Mytouch the same user interface that the iPhone has - no background, no widgets, no background information, no internet connections beyond the current app being used, nothing exciting going on. I am pretty sure if this were the case, then the Mytouch would be for sure just as fast, if not faster than the iPhone despite the hardware advantages in the iPhone.

As far as force closes on Mytouch, well you get that with every Android device, why? Open source and personal flaws. Because of problems within an app, problems with apps working with other apps, and user mistakes. I know that many app developers try their best to make good applications that perform to the users liking, but sometimes this doesn't happen, there are some bugs, but then usually comes an update. Also I know that there are times when I personally cause force closes, by asking an app to do too many things at the same time, by asking it to find something that I haven't installed or put in the right place. There are many things that cause force closes, and I would say for sure that more than half or even 3/4s of the time it isn't the phone's fault. Yes some times that it runs low on ram and has some force closes. But if it occurs with an app you aren't using to where you can just go on using the app you were in, then really that;s just the phone closing background apps that aren't being used to free up memory.

Beyond what I've already said I would like for iPhone users to say that iPhones are better than Mytouchs. They are both extraordinary phones! But I will not allow iPhone to be a god, and Mytouchs to be low servants because that isn't true.

I'm pretty sure that anyone can give me another example of how they think that iPhones are better than Mytouchs and I will rebuttal and iPhone will not be champion, or Mytouch will be equal in ability. I know that iPhone is fast, I have always stood by that specific capability however, the Mytouch is more capable and I do not want to hear anymore from this thread, I'm tired of seeing people post in it.

Basically, other peoples' opinions do matter and if they are in favor of the iPhone they need not be in this forum.

Also, if you are pro-Nexus One, good job, this is a Mytouch forum, if people want to know whether or not to choose between a particular phone or the Mytouch, they do want choose between that particular phone or a Mytouch, otherwise they'd be in the Nexus One forum.

Have a great day!
jfritzs2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jfritzs2 For This Useful Post:
InstantKarma (March 31st, 2010), sensesfail99 (April 2nd, 2010), shawn1224 (March 31st, 2010)
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:10 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
sensesfail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 314
 
Device(s): Mytouch 3g-black 1.slow 16gb Iphone 3g :-p
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritzs2 View Post
I really hate this thread, I hope after this post, it will just fade away into non-existence on page 14, never to be heard of again.

The iPhone screen size is 3.5" diagonal, the Mytouch has a 3.2" diagonal screen, that means that there is 0.0923" less on the Mytouch width, and 0.2076" less on the height. Incredible! All the difference in the world! Yet they both have the same amount of pixels 320x480. Not a big, I'm pretty sure that the like half inch of black space above and below the screen on the iPhone make it look huge compared to the Mytouch when really it actually isn't that much bigger because for the whole device its only 0.05" bigger in height and 0.2" wider than the Mytouch.

The Default keyboard for the Mytouch isn't that bad, do I use it? No. But after wipes of my phone it takes me a few days to even realize that I have not been using a custom keyboard. I know that the iPhone has a good keyboard, I do like it and congratulate Apple for making a good keyboard, but because its good doesn't make the Mytouch terrible.

No headphone jack for the Mytouch is not cool, I don't know why they did they, but hey I don't care, the better way to go for listening to music and so I don't have to have white corded headphones is to go with bluetooth headphones, can iPhone do that? Oh, oh now it can, with the third update to it? Hmmm, don't make Mytouch look ******ed for upgrades added in the future Apple did that too.

As far as apps, Facebook has been updated, not the best still, but hey if you must know everything about your Facebook friends so much that you can't wait to get to a computer, then there are problems much deeper than with certain phones. Or if using a Mytouch, you can just tether it to your laptop and tada, the internet! While I'm talking about apps, the thing that Android has learned about apps from Apple is that some apps are just ridiculous and it doesn't need to fill its Market numbers with crap apps. All of the good app ideas Android did immediately. I hope it will be a long time before Android fills it's Market with 60,000 farting applications, zipper sounds, and other random over expensive pointless apps. Proof that Apple users just buy things because they are expensive, apps included.

The iPhone has a faster processor and close to double the amount of ram. Yes its going to be a bit faster and yes smoother. If you were looking for speed beyond a phone's hardware, well technology just isn't there yet. So yes the iPhone is faster and smoother, after using this makes the iPhone user feel superior to all. But hey, you know what, maybe I spoke too soon because what if we gave the Mytouch the same user interface that the iPhone has - no background, no widgets, no background information, no internet connections beyond the current app being used, nothing exciting going on. I am pretty sure if this were the case, then the Mytouch would be for sure just as fast, if not faster than the iPhone despite the hardware advantages in the iPhone.

As far as force closes on Mytouch, well you get that with every Android device, why? Open source and personal flaws. Because of problems within an app, problems with apps working with other apps, and user mistakes. I know that many app developers try their best to make good applications that perform to the users liking, but sometimes this doesn't happen, there are some bugs, but then usually comes an update. Also I know that there are times when I personally cause force closes, by asking an app to do too many things at the same time, by asking it to find something that I haven't installed or put in the right place. There are many things that cause force closes, and I would say for sure that more than half or even 3/4s of the time it isn't the phone's fault. Yes some times that it runs low on ram and has some force closes. But if it occurs with an app you aren't using to where you can just go on using the app you were in, then really that;s just the phone closing background apps that aren't being used to free up memory.

Beyond what I've already said I would like for iPhone users to say that iPhones are better than Mytouchs. They are both extraordinary phones! But I will not allow iPhone to be a god, and Mytouchs to be low servants because that isn't true.

I'm pretty sure that anyone can give me another example of how they think that iPhones are better than Mytouchs and I will rebuttal and iPhone will not be champion, or Mytouch will be equal in ability. I know that iPhone is fast, I have always stood by that specific capability however, the Mytouch is more capable and I do not want to hear anymore from this thread, I'm tired of seeing people post in it.

Basically, other peoples' opinions do matter and if they are in favor of the iPhone they need not be in this forum.

Also, if you are pro-Nexus One, good job, this is a Mytouch forum, if people want to know whether or not to choose between a particular phone or the Mytouch, they do want choose between that particular phone or a Mytouch, otherwise they'd be in the Nexus One forum.

Have a great day!

HAHA AWESOME!!!! Def. To each his own, but I will say I do enjoy both phones :-) there are things I do miss about mytouch and things I dont! Each phone will always have its pros and cons!

about the screen size.... i never really thought about it, but I put both phones side by side and sure enough the mytouch screen isnt all that much smaller!
sensesfail99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:33 AM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BiGMERF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,080
 
Device(s): Transformer Prime and GSM Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 57
Thanked 273 Times in 208 Posts
Send a message via AIM to BiGMERF Send a message via Yahoo to BiGMERF Tainosolja@gmail.com
Default

whwen i went from the iphone to the mytouch the size difference seemed huge to me... The mytouch IMO lacked in so many different areas that i became so frustrated i left the mytouch after only about a month in favor of the nexus
BiGMERF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 198
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid, TMobile MyTouch
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

My initial post to this thread was back in September, when I had recently purchased the MyTouch. There was a lot I liked about it, compared to the iPhone. But ultimately, I grew unsatisfied with it, primarily due to lags, yet I remained irked with Apple's you-rent-your-iPhone policies. Fortunately, Verizon's Droid materialized, which I grabbed in late November. Long story short, the difference was night and day between it and the MyTouch.

With the MyTouch, I ultimately missed the speed and fluidity of the iPhone. With the Droid, I miss nothing. I packed an iPhone for years as there was no worthy competition in those days, and it was an overall good experience-- until Apple's heavy hand took its toll. I've said it before and I'll say it again-- there will be no external device which kills the iPhone; Apple itself will see to that. It remains a good phone for those who can live with Apple's dictates. As a self-employed business woman who appreciates productivity-oriented apps, the loss of Google Voice proved to be a tipping point. Now that I've tasted the best the iPhone has to offer, and much more, -- withOUT the negatives--via the Droid, I can conceive of no circumstances which would ever push me back into the Apple camp.

As for the MyTouch, it was there when I needed to jump the iPhone ship, and for that I will always be grateful. I gave it to a college-bound nephew. He's happy with it; I'm still profoundly happy with my Droid. As for the 16gig iPhone 3GS, I sold it on CraigsList. Every app I cared most about has found an Android counterpart. I still have my iPod, but that's all I'll tolerate from the Apple folks.
iPhone2Droid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #46 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I like how people say that speed is subjective.

Not with a phone it isn't.

I had a MyTouch 3g for about 2 months and I grew unsatisfied with it. I just didn't continue to like it. I rooted it (which was a VERY tedious task, mind you. My phone was basically useless for 2 days until I finally got the rooting technique down) and then customized it, and you know what? I'd gladly sacrifice having multi-app internet access if it meant making the phone even 90% as fast as an iPhone.

In the end, I sold it on Craig's List for the same price I paid for it ($250) and moved on using my old Motorola Q9H until I had enough money for an iPhone.

I ended up getting a killer deal on a 3GS and I figured I would sell it for profit because I can't see myself holding onto a $600 value phone. In the meanwhile, I used it as a personal phone and let me tell you, the 3GS is in a league of its own. Don't criticize me for saying it. You have your opinions, I have mine. The 3GS was blazingly faster. When I want to do something on that phone, it happens instantly. This matters when you're walking to class, grabbing your phone in the car really fast or trying to check something really fast before your professor or boss notices. Mobile phone usage is about being "on the go" and being active. You don't have time to sit there and go, "Oh wait wait! My MyTouch 3G is a special device and it takes time to load things!"

1. Speed Matters - When it comes to speed of applications opening and closing, the iPhone tromps. It's in a league of its own.

User experience with the iPhone- Once it's jailbroken, the bets are off. Customized icons, backgrounds. Everything looks nicer. The interface experience is just better. If you want to customize things or change features on or off, you can just do it. There's no complications about it.

At the end of the day, I just enjoyed using the same applications with the iPhone versus on the MyTouch. The ONLY exception to this was Pandora. Pandora widget on MyTouch > Pandora App on iPhone. For everything else, iPhone > MyTouch.

2. Application Quality

The most important feature to me was the keyboard. I used the HTC IME and many other keyboards. Hitting keys on the MyTouch was just annoying. I would hit G and it would press it 3 times because it didn't register the first time and I had to wait for G to load. That's just an example. Hitting H instead of G is another problem. (Could be any letter next to another letter) The auto spell on iPhone is just overkill. It already has a better keyboard, but when you factor in its ability to guess what you were trying to say? It brought MyTouch's keyboard back to life just to kill it again.

The speed of flipping from letter to landscape was also really annoying. Sometimes the keyboard would bug out and it would stay letter style, but shrunk and squeezed to the side. That pissed me off to no end. I would have to turn it again, hit the end key, open text again and then flip it again and hope it actually switches the keyboard to landscape. Things like that matter for a cell phone when you're on the go and you don't have time to sit around and wait for things to work.

3. They keyboard - It matters when you don't have a physical one. Even the Google G1 got this done better.

Granted, not everything was a loss for MyTouch. There are some things where it's better: Using the phone as a flash drive was much easier. Tethering was much easier. The home screen definitely LOOKS better once it's customized. Widgets have a much better look.

In the end, the cons outweighed the positives, and the positives weren't as positive as they would be if the phone was GOOD at using those positives. If the phone were fast, or not as "wonky" and if applications would load fast, then yes the UI is better on the MyTouch than the iPhone.

But the following? No way.

Apple made the mistake of making a media phone with a weird proprietary headphone adapter. Why on Earth would HTC make the same mistake, not just once with the G1, but TWICE with the MyTouch? Apple made that mistake and quickly remedied it with the 3g and 3gs. No more proprietary headphone adapters.

HTC/Google not only made the same mistake, but they made it worse, because they require a physical cord adapter to attach to the phone. Something that wears down, will eventually not work and is even harder to hold onto. At least with the iPhone 2G, it's a 3.5mm adapter with an extended butt.

In the end, I'm valid for this comparison because I owned both phones for an extended period of time. A MyTouch3g with a physical keyboard and a less wonky application loading time would tromp the iPhone.

For now, iPhone is king, hands down. I'm considering coming back to an Android phone, but only because I sold my 3GS for $600 and I might be able to get a MyTouch for $200. If I can't get one for $200, I'm going to get an iPhone 3G. Every iPhone except the 2G is better than the MyTouch.
Essenar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
jfritzs2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 392
 
Device(s): T-Mobile MyTouch 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone2Droid View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again-- there will be no external device which kills the iPhone; Apple itself will see to that.
This is an untrue statement. Any new Android phone since, possibly, as you state, the Droid, but definitely the Nexus One, belittles the iPhone. As of right now, the iPhone is nowhere up to speed with the Nexus One, or the HTC Desire, Incredible, Evo, and many more not just made by HTC. I definitely do not believe that the Mytouch kills the iPhone, a year ago that statement was ridiculous to throw out about every device that was coming out, but now, its not just speculation, its literally factual. The only times reviewers of new Android devices badly score those devices is because they are year long iPhone users!!! What a ridiculous idea!!! I have to vent about that because the reviews will always be slanted! Always! Thats like asking Katsuaki Watanabe, CEO of Toyota, to review the new Ford Hybrid Fusion, hmmmm, what would he, say? "Yes the Fusion does get better gas mileage that the Prius, and really it just has better features to it that the Prius and really unless we do something fast we're going to be hurting badly." NO! That's Preposterous! Here is a great example - YouTube - Google Nexus One Vs. iPhone 3GS

That guy could use the Nexus for two or three months but would still favor the iPhone!
jfritzs2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
jfritzs2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 392
 
Device(s): T-Mobile MyTouch 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essenar View Post
I like how people say that speed is subjective.

Not with a phone it isn't.

I had a MyTouch 3g for about 2 months and I grew unsatisfied with it. I just didn't continue to like it. I rooted it (which was a VERY tedious task, mind you. My phone was basically useless for 2 days until I finally got the rooting technique down) and then customized it, and you know what? I'd gladly sacrifice having multi-app internet access if it meant making the phone even 90% as fast as an iPhone.
Just because you couldn't root your phone very efficiently isn't a reason to hate the Mytouch. I rooted mine in about 15 minutes, and its running just as quick as any of my friends iPhones. And really it isn't that tedious, you load like 3 files onto your SD card and tada, you're done.

Quote:
1. Speed Matters - When it comes to speed of applications opening and closing, the iPhone tromps. It's in a league of its own.
Yes the iPhone has speed, it opens apps quickly, it rotates the keyboard and screen fluidly, but where are the capabilities. As for multi-tasking, I have no problem browsing the internet, texting, playing a game or whatever and then getting an email, a text, a tweet, or whatever stopping what I'm doing, complete another task, then going back to what I was originally doing. Its very very easy to do, I do it all the time. And again it keeps up with the speed of an iPhone. If anything I have to wait literally milliseconds longer and that's when I already have apps open. Not a big deal, and besides I know that not every app on the iPhone is incredibly fast in booting up. A friend of mine wanted me to play a game on their iPhone once and it took literally 10 seconds to load up, and almost just as long to close down. Now I know that some apps on the Mytouch are worse than others and the same goes for the iPhone, so lets not say that its all the Mytouch and the iPhone is perfect.

Quote:
User experience with the iPhone- Once it's jailbroken, the bets are off. Customized icons, backgrounds. Everything looks nicer. The interface experience is just better. If you want to customize things or change features on or off, you can just do it. There's no complications about it.

At the end of the day, I just enjoyed using the same applications with the iPhone versus on the MyTouch. The ONLY exception to this was Pandora. Pandora widget on MyTouch > Pandora App on iPhone. For everything else, iPhone > MyTouch.
A jailbroken iPhone doesn't really do that cool of stuff for it, really just things that should have already been there - backgrounds, custom icons, bluetooth, tethering is probably the biggest one, but that again should work otherwise. Of course widgets are better on the Mytouch, the iPhone doesn't have any. Any widget is better than a screen full of icons that don't do anything except maybe change date. The battery status, reception, and time appear as the only indication of change on the iPhone. Your description of phones being a certain way doesn't completely match up, because a phone now is much different from a phone years ago. Phones today do much more than older phones, they link all forms of communication. They should stay in sync with all the forms you require - talking, texting, tweeting, Facebook, Myspace, email, but not just personal information, but public - news, sports, weather, and many other fronts that we tend to cover and keep track of. To keep these forms of communication in one place is a fantastic synchronization. Mytouch and Android accomplishes this in many different forms, mainly in widgets and notifications. Widgets give live views of these materials you want to stay on top of, the Mytouch provides this, the iPhone, even jailbroken does not. I think that in order to be a smartphone, this is the primary responsibility of the phone, to keep the user up to date. Moving in and out of this app and then this app, but then back to this one and then here. Is not a efficient way of staying ahead of the game, no matter how smooth of fast the phone is.

Quote:
2. Application Quality

The most important feature to me was the keyboard. I used the HTC IME and many other keyboards. Hitting keys on the MyTouch was just annoying. I would hit G and it would press it 3 times because it didn't register the first time and I had to wait for G to load. That's just an example. Hitting H instead of G is another problem. (Could be any letter next to another letter) The auto spell on iPhone is just overkill. It already has a better keyboard, but when you factor in its ability to guess what you were trying to say? It brought MyTouch's keyboard back to life just to kill it again.

The speed of flipping from letter to landscape was also really annoying. Sometimes the keyboard would bug out and it would stay letter style, but shrunk and squeezed to the side. That pissed me off to no end. I would have to turn it again, hit the end key, open text again and then flip it again and hope it actually switches the keyboard to landscape. Things like that matter for a cell phone when you're on the go and you don't have time to sit around and wait for things to work.
As for the keyboard, go get a new rom, one that is more optimized and allows the keyboard to rotate smoothly. Swype is a great keyboard, or I'm using Smart Keyboard Pro, another great keyboard. I'm sure that you have used many keyboards and I have no problem admitting that Apple did a good job with their keyboard, however, I don't think that the Android keyboard is terrible because it isn't. If you are having problems pushing the g key too often, then I don't think that is the phone's fault. There is a limit to how many applications you can have running, use a task manager, sort things out and be sure to have free memory and your keyboard will function just fine. The only times that I have had the problem you're describing happen is when I had far too many applications open. This also happens on computers when you have too many programs open, it takes some time to process what you need done. But is that really the computers fault or yours for pushing it to its limits where it can do everything you are asking it to but it does it slower than you'd like.

Quote:
3. They keyboard - It matters when you don't have a physical one. Even the Google G1 got this done better.
I don't understand what you're trying to say here, the iPhone doesn't have a physical keyboard either. Learn how to work your phone and it will perform correctly.

Quote:
Granted, not everything was a loss for MyTouch. There are some things where it's better: Using the phone as a flash drive was much easier. Tethering was much easier. The home screen definitely LOOKS better once it's customized. Widgets have a much better look.
Yes its incredibly easy to change icons on Mytouch. iPhone on the other hand has had three years to get their icons looking good, but still they look like baby toys. And they aren't customizable until it is jailbroken, again, a feature that is absolutely ridiculous for Apple to not include anyway and will not I'm sure in their next build.

Quote:
In the end, the cons outweighed the positives, and the positives weren't as positive as they would be if the phone was GOOD at using those positives. If the phone were fast, or not as "wonky" and if applications would load fast, then yes the UI is better on the MyTouch than the iPhone.
Quote:
Apple made the mistake of making a media phone with a weird proprietary headphone adapter. Why on Earth would HTC make the same mistake, not just once with the G1, but TWICE with the MyTouch? Apple made that mistake and quickly remedied it with the 3g and 3gs. No more proprietary headphone adapters.

HTC/Google not only made the same mistake, but they made it worse, because they require a physical cord adapter to attach to the phone. Something that wears down, will eventually not work and is even harder to hold onto. At least with the iPhone 2G, it's a 3.5mm adapter with an extended butt.
This is ridiculous, so what? iPhone makes has a headphone jack, the Mytouch doesn't. And the Mytouch and G1 have had bluetooth, only the 3GS has had bluetooth. Wait, wait a second, no I take that back, the first two iPhones did have bluetooth, Apple just did not allow users to use them. I would much rather not have something than for the maker to give it but not allow me to use it. That's pretty crazy. And besides, Mytouch 1.2 has a headphone jack.

Quote:
In the end, I'm valid for this comparison because I owned both phones for an extended period of time. A MyTouch3g with a physical keyboard and a less wonky application loading time would tromp the iPhone.
Oh, oh my goodness, I had no idea who I was dealing with. Please, please forgive me! This man has used both an iPhone and a Mytouch, lets clear the room he is the only one capable of even posting anything in here. Seriously everyone stand back, he is the One, the Valid One. Just because I have not owned an iPhone doesn't mean I'm not qualified here. I've owned an iPod Touch and I know of the flaws that the iPhone has. It isn't perfect, just because its faster because it only does one thing at a time does not make it in anyway better, in fact I'd say it makes it childish and gives a sign of how simple minded one needs to be to use it. The operating system is dumbed down so that the sheep of the market can buy it use it and not think. If you want to have connection and be able to enjoy an open source OS then you should go with a Mytouch especially the new version which is faster, so it runs even smoother and more fluidly as the iPhone does. If you are going for a smartphone that does only one thing at a time you are going backwards in the world of technology. If you want that and fell the need for supposed speed then go with an iPhone. If you don't care to want something different for yourself and just want to do what Apple and all the other followers of Apple tell you to do, then go with an iPhone.

If you want a personality and want to be able to express yourself and even develop yourself without having to pay Apple in order to do so, go with a Mytouch. If you want to be different and not feel the need to boast about your phone as so many iPhone users do, get a Mytouch. Every time that I get my phone out to use it and do something exciting with it for my enjoyment, a random iPhone user feels the need to pull out their phone and try to one up me, it never works because of the capabilities of Mytouch, it isn't slow, it doesn't embarrass me in front of my iPhone friends but really embarrasses them because they feel the need to be Alpha male and be King as you say. That mentality is the mentality of all iPhone and in fact Apple users. Tell me I'm wrong but I see it far too much. Maybe I'm just a humble person but I don't take time out to say to another person that my phone can do that too and that its better than yours, but really I have iPhone users do that all the time to me and then it back fires on them.

If you are tired of supporting the money hungry Apple store and are sick of seeing all the iHome, iTunes, iCrap stuff everywhere then a Mytouch is for you. I don't need someone to tell me what is cool and that I need to buy it overpriced to be happy, I need to be myself and that is exactly what Mytouch and Android allows.

Quote:
For now, iPhone is king, hands down. I'm considering coming baI ck to an Android phone, but only because I sold my 3GS for $600 and I might be able to get a MyTouch for $200. If I can't get one for $200, I'm going to get an iPhone 3G. Every iPhone except the 2G is better than the MyTouch.
iPhone isn't King, go get a new Mytouch and stop trying to fit in with all the other kids at your playground, go be different and use a phone that is much better than the iPhone. Go sell your over priced $600 resale of an iPhone and buy a v1.2 Mytouch and enjoy it. This guys argument boils down to its faster and thats it. Beyond that the capabilities are not shown at all except for a keyboard, but luckily Mytouch v1.2 has a headphone jack, a much better keyboard and its much faster, so it looks like all of your arguing points fell through and the Mytouch is looking to be the better phone to choose. But what do I know. Nothing because its just so hard to find anything out on my phone, I really need an iPhone, after all its King right. Actually no it isn't, its just popular. Definitely not better, just popular.

And no one better say anything about me being boastful like I accused Apple users of being, because this is a Mytouch forum and I can defend Mytouch all I want, do you think people in iPhone forums don't defend iPhones, of course they do. So stop with this awful thread and close it down!
jfritzs2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

T-Mobile MyTouch 3G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

While Americans enjoyed having the first ever Android Phone - the T-Mobile G1 - launch on their shores, Round 2 has began!. After watching the rest of the world enjoy the full touchscreen HTC Magic for months, T-Mobile USA reincarnated the phone as... Read More

Tags
iphone vs mytouch 3g


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > T-Mobile MyTouch 3G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.