Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > AT&T

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree8Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Jus10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Motor Droid Bionic, Acer Iconia A501
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
justynreid
Default

Found and subscribed!!! Bwahahahaha!!!

Jus10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #52 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Oridus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 502
 
Device(s): at&t: HTC One, iPhone 5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 143 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcMaiden View Post
this is no activation fee

you just have to pay for the minutes which are in $15, 25, 60, 100 increments

If he goes to a COR store, this is correct. However most Authorized Retailers will charge $15-30 per sim.... Just throwing that out there.
__________________
Current: HTC One, iPhone 5

My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility.
Oridus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #53 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Yes, I blame AT&T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcMaiden View Post
i know its easy to point the blame at AT&T

but do we know for sure its AT&T?

lets see:

backflip - abandoned by motorola - confirmed by the moto rep
HTC Aria - was shadow of a phone - probably not popular enough to update lol
Samsung captivate - Samsung is still working on its updates - new unofficial rom leaks prove that (plus only 1 of the 4 sgs variants in the US have been updated)

Yes, I blame AT&T. Dell released Froyo for the Dell Streak in November. AT&T has still not gotten around to put it out OTA as promised.
kddickey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #54 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 604
 
Device(s): HTC One X, BB Curve Dell Streak (RIP)
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 28
Thanked 43 Times in 41 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to nb_mitch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddickey View Post
Yes, I blame AT&T. Dell released Froyo for the Dell Streak in November. AT&T has still not gotten around to put it out OTA as promised.
Yes, I blame At&t too, as does the rest of mankind north of Antarctica

Dell has released and updated all unlocked Dell Streaks on At&t network to 2.2, only the locked devices have not been updated. All O2 and other overseas carriers have also updated the device.

I don't blame At&t entirely on what had to be the worst product launch in history. Apparently back in July (the week the device was to released), At&t removed all links to Dell's site and Dell removed all links to At&t. Someone had a huge hissy fit and apparently lawyers were involved. Dell realized they were in a contract they couldn't break, but also didn't know how to work around. They attempted to sell it themselves, which from Google's own history shows that doesn't work, regardless of how good the device is.

At&t moved on but refuses to acknowledge it is a device on their network being used by THEIR customers. But refusing to roll out the next OS will only alienate their loyal customers. I have been with At&t for 9+ years, but I might be willing to move on if they refuse to support ME, a customer with proper software updates.
__________________
Mitch
Give Kids the World / Patriot Guard Riders / Homepage
Dell Streak & BB 8310 / Triumph Daytona 675
Me and my bike at GKTW
nb_mitch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #55 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
HustlinDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 1,141
 
Device(s): Motorola Atrix 4G (CM10) & Acer Liquid A1 (LiquidNext 1.9.2 (CM7 ROM))
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 105 Times in 90 Posts
acurrimbhoy@gmail.com
Default

Question directed to Marc or anybody else knowledgeable about feature phones on AT&T:

My aunt is in the market for a feature phone (something that does not require a data plan).

She was looking very closely at the Pantech Laser and Samsung Flight II.

I told her to wait it out and play with the HTC Freestyle and make a decision afterwards (I am an HTC fan, who currently does not have an HTC phone lol tho that should change sometime in the near future, so naturally, I really really like that phone in terms of feature phones).

Have you gotten a chance to play with the Freestyle? If so, how do you like it?

What is your opinion on the other two phones? Would you take either of them over the Freestyle? (keep in mind she doesn't plan on having a data plan so the browser, FriendsStream, weather widget which I love about the phone, would be useless to her).

Are there any other feature phones on contract with AT&T worth considering? (she prefers one with a full QWERTY but open to anything with a touchscreen).



Thanks in advance.
HustlinDaily is offline  
Last edited by HustlinDaily; February 12th, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
HustlinDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 1,141
 
Device(s): Motorola Atrix 4G (CM10) & Acer Liquid A1 (LiquidNext 1.9.2 (CM7 ROM))
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 105 Times in 90 Posts
acurrimbhoy@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcMaiden View Post
i know its easy to point the blame at AT&T,

but do we know for sure its AT&T?

lets see:

backflip - abandoned by motorola - confirmed by the moto rep
HTC Aria - was shadow of a phone - probably not popular enough to update lol
Samsung captivate - Samsung is still working on its updates - new unofficial rom leaks prove that (plus only 1 of the 4 sgs variants in the US have been updated)
I'll give you Backflip

BUT

Aria in Asia/Europe has had 2.2 for months

Captivate on Rogers (in Canada), exact same phone, has also had 2.2 for months.

I think AT&T does deserve a huge share of the blame here.
HustlinDaily is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #57 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MarcMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area, ca
Posts: 590
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus CDMA, Nexus 7 on the way! Skyrocket, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, Galaxy Tab, Kindle
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 201 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinDaily View Post
Question directed to Marc or anybody else knowledgeable about feature phones on AT&T:

My aunt is in the market for a feature phone (something that does not require a data plan).

She was looking very closely at the Pantech Laser and Samsung Flight II.

I told her to wait it out and play with the HTC Freestyle and make a decision afterwards (I am an HTC fan, who currently does not have an HTC phone lol tho that should change sometime in the near future, so naturally, I really really like that phone in terms of feature phones).

Have you gotten a chance to play with the Freestyle? If so, how do you like it?

What is your opinion on the other two phones? Would you take either of them over the Freestyle? (keep in mind she doesn't plan on having a data plan so the browser, FriendsStream, weather widget which I love about the phone, would be useless to her).

Are there any other feature phones on contract with AT&T worth considering? (she prefers one with a full QWERTY but open to anything with a touchscreen).



Thanks in advance.

The freestyle is a great feature phone, but its treading smart phone water. It looks and feels like a smart phone, but its very much simplified. The $100 price tag is the concerning part though. My favorite of the feature phones are either the Pantech Ease, or the Samsung Evergreen. Both seem to be very reliable, and are really easy to use. Both have an easy interface and feature a slide out qwerty keyboard
__________________
Treo 650 -> Moto Q -> Blackberry storm -> Moto Droid -> Iphone 3gs -> HTC Aria -> Samsung Captivate->HTC Surround->Dell Streak-> HTC Inspire 4g & Atrix 4g->Nexus s->SGSII->Droid Bionic->Galaxy Nexus
MarcMaiden is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarcMaiden For This Useful Post:
HustlinDaily (February 12th, 2011)
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #58 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MarcMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area, ca
Posts: 590
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus CDMA, Nexus 7 on the way! Skyrocket, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, Galaxy Tab, Kindle
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 201 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinDaily View Post
I'll give you Backflip

BUT

Aria in Asia/Europe has had 2.2 for months

Captivate on Rogers (in Canada), exact same phone, has also had 2.2 for months.

I think AT&T does deserve a huge share of the blame here.
Ill give you that. But I still feel its almost half half. I feel bad for all the captivate owners (i was one of them). they have been waiting for so long. My coworker always comes into the store yelling "WHERES MY FROYO!!!"

pretty sure he is about to give up on the captivate and get an inspire
MarcMaiden is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #59 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Oridus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 502
 
Device(s): at&t: HTC One, iPhone 5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 143 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcMaiden View Post
The freestyle is a great feature phone, but its treading smart phone water. It looks and feels like a smart phone, but its very much simplified. The $100 price tag is the concerning part though. My favorite of the feature phones are either the Pantech Ease, or the Samsung Evergreen. Both seem to be very reliable, and are really easy to use. Both have an easy interface and feature a slide out qwerty keyboard
Well look at the laser, higher price point than the freestyle...

I agree on the ease being the favorite though, but i will push the freestyle to those who want a smartphone without paying smartphone data options.
Oridus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #60 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm trying my darndest to get the atts new hspa+ phone the inspire. Here is a little background on what was occurring and what took place before I called today.
My wife and I had iPhones for a few years. We wanted to save money so we went to a regular phone with no data. Just calls and texts. We were tired of them and missed our iPhones. So about six months I into our two year I called in and talked them into some HTC arias refurbished for free but ended up signing two new two year contracta for them. Which happened about two months ago. Now we want the inspire from HTC.
So I called in and spoke to a customer concerns person. She was able to only offer 100 dollar credit and 6 months free of unlimited data. So that would save us on the full retail price of the inspire.
Is there more that I could have done ? I just want to buy the phone at the subsidized price of 99.
Whitehorse is offline  
Last edited by Whitehorse; February 14th, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Jus10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Motor Droid Bionic, Acer Iconia A501
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
justynreid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehorse View Post
I'm trying my darndest to get the atts new hspa+ phone the inspire. Here is a little background on what was occurring and what took place before I called today.
My wife and I had iPhones for a few years. We wanted to save money so we went to a regular phone with no data. Just calls and texts. We were tired of them and missed our iPhones. So about six months I into our two year I called in and talked them into some HTC arias refurbished for free but ended up signing two new two year contracta for them. Which happened about two months ago. Now we want the inspire from HTC.
So I called in and spoke to a customer concerns person. She was able to only offer 100 dollar credit and 6 months free of unlimited data. So that would save us on the full retail price of the inspire.
Is there more that I could have done ? I just want to buy the phone at the subsidized price of 99.
Sounds like a steal if you ask me. 6 mos of free data is something Care doesn't do all the time. Look at it this way... if (and that's a big if) you qualified for early upgrade, you would have paid for the price of the phone, a $75 early upgrade fee ontop of the $18 mandatory upgrade fee... for each phone. (Mind you these were what the fees were back when I worked in the the wireless division, so if there's a Care Rep in here who says different, then my fault.) But based on those numbers that's $186 of charges ontop of the retail cost of phones.

So we gave you 6 mos of free data which is $150 each phone, and $100 extra off a bill.

I don't know if we could have given you more or not, but that sounds good if you ask me.
Jus10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
zizo79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 251
 
Device(s): ATrix 4G iPhone 4 32GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Hello Marc,
Is it true that the restocking fee is $35 even for an unopened phone ? Can I switch around my lines, meaning can I make my secondary line as a primary and then switch it back after upgrading?
Thanks
zizo79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Jus10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Motor Droid Bionic, Acer Iconia A501
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
justynreid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizo79 View Post
Hello Marc,
Is it true that the restocking fee is $35 even for an unopened phone ? Can I switch around my lines, meaning can I make my secondary line as a primary and then switch it back after upgrading?
Thanks
I'm not Marc, but I am trying to understand what you're trying to do. Could you by chance elaborate a bit more? Like did you upgrade and not like the device, and you're wondering if you can put the device on another line and upgrade again? I'm a bit lost.
Jus10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #64 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Oridus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 502
 
Device(s): at&t: HTC One, iPhone 5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 143 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizo79 View Post
Hello Marc,
Is it true that the restocking fee is $35 even for an unopened phone ? Can I switch around my lines, meaning can I make my secondary line as a primary and then switch it back after upgrading?
Thanks

Yes, every returned device (not 30 day exchange) has the restock fee in store. If it's un-opened, it's up to manager discretion to waive the fee under whatever circumstances you're in.

As far as switching lines, you can do line swaps to make whatever line you want as primary. It's a pain for reps to do, so please don't do it that often.
Oridus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #65 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 37
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Marc check your PM please
SS2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #66 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 75
 
Device(s): motorola atrix 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I, and some others in the motorola atrix thread, would like some clarification on whether the $100 dollar instant rebate when buying the phone off contract extends your contract at all.
It clearly states no commitment, and there is no other option to chose for pricing. Also we didn't authorize any type of contract extension.

Do you have any concrete info about this.

Thanks in advance!
fujigonewild00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #67 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MarcMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area, ca
Posts: 590
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus CDMA, Nexus 7 on the way! Skyrocket, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, Galaxy Tab, Kindle
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 201 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujigonewild00 View Post
I, and some others in the motorola atrix thread, would like some clarification on whether the $100 dollar instant rebate when buying the phone off contract extends your contract at all.
It clearly states no commitment, and there is no other option to chose for pricing. Also we didn't authorize any type of contract extension.

Do you have any concrete info about this.

Thanks in advance!
to be honest i didnt even know there was a $100 credit on the off contract price hahah. If it says off contract, and when you check out there is no contract or any indication of it, then you are fine. If for some reason you go into contract, call customer service, tell them you were mislead and would like it reversed. I've called in for a few customers and did this before when associates accidentally put customers on contract when they werent supposed to
MarcMaiden is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #68 (permalink)
Klaatu barada nikto
 
reinbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate, 2.3.3, Serendipity VII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 174
Thanked 211 Times in 165 Posts
Default

Interesting that Samsung and now AT&T representatives, official or not, have suddenly started to post to the two leading Android forums. I hope good comes from all of it. I've been a loyal AT&T customer for as long as I've had a phone, until the Captivate debacle I had been very happy - AT&T redeemed themselves recently on my account, now this.....good stuff, I hope.
__________________
Ann, Palm refugee, learning to grok Android. Perhaps your answer is in the CapFAQ
Excellent video tutorials, watch and learn!!
Now on Serendipity VII, click link to learn more
Did you read the first post in the thread?
reinbeau is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Oridus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 502
 
Device(s): at&t: HTC One, iPhone 5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 143 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcMaiden View Post
to be honest i didnt even know there was a $100 credit on the off contract price hahah. If it says off contract, and when you check out there is no contract or any indication of it, then you are fine. If for some reason you go into contract, call customer service, tell them you were mislead and would like it reversed. I've called in for a few customers and did this before when associates accidentally put customers on contract when they werent supposed to

Marc, I don't know if your store has Sat. Morn meetings, but if you do, it would be in the paperwork you got at your last meeting. Basically you get $100 instant rebate off the device/dock bundle, and then a $100 MIR.

To the person who asked, if you're buying a phone off contract, $100 IR does not extend a contract, only if you're actually getting a subsidized price. You shouldn't be required to sign anything while at a COR store if buying it outright.
Oridus is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oridus For This Useful Post:
fujigonewild00 (February 16th, 2011)
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #70 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 75
 
Device(s): motorola atrix 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oridus View Post
Marc, I don't know if your store has Sat. Morn meetings, but if you do, it would be in the paperwork you got at your last meeting. Basically you get $100 instant rebate off the device/dock bundle, and then a $100 MIR.

To the person who asked, if you're buying a phone off contract, $100 IR does not extend a contract, only if you're actually getting a subsidized price. You shouldn't be required to sign anything while at a COR store if buying it outright.
I ordered it online, and it only had the $399 price as an option for my no commitment price, and the cart also said no commitment before checking out.

You talked about being in store, so I have to ask if this applies to online as well. I didn't accept any type of extending contract, so does that mean that I indeed bought the phone off-contract because some people were saying that accepting the $100 rebate extended your contract.
fujigonewild00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #71 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Oridus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 502
 
Device(s): at&t: HTC One, iPhone 5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 143 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujigonewild00 View Post
I ordered it online, and it only had the $399 price as an option for my no commitment price, and the cart also said no commitment before checking out.

You talked about being in store, so I have to ask if this applies to online as well. I didn't accept any type of extending contract, so does that mean that I indeed bought the phone off-contract because some people were saying that accepting the $100 rebate extended your contract.

ill check my paper at work in the am to confirm the NC price
Oridus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #72 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 75
 
Device(s): motorola atrix 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oridus View Post
ill check my paper at work in the am to confirm the NC price
thanks, that would be great.
fujigonewild00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #73 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 37
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

guys is there anyway to get it off ATT site as off-contract

but not as a AT&T customer, if im with someone else for example.
SS2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #74 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,012
 
Device(s): AT&T White NEXUS S!!!!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 222 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Yes but it would only work with tmobile and probably on edge
AndreaCristiano is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndreaCristiano For This Useful Post:
SS2006 (February 17th, 2011)
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #75 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 37
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thats fine, how so though?
On the site when I click preorder I just get 'new custerom' and 'existing customer, add a new line or upgrade'

theres no buy outright option
SS2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #76 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Oridus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 502
 
Device(s): at&t: HTC One, iPhone 5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 143 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujigonewild00 View Post
thanks, that would be great.

NC = $499

I have heard of people getting special NC prices online though depending on your account.

Log into your account online and see your contract date since you've already done the pre-order for it. Or call in to CS, and let us know what you find out.
Oridus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #77 (permalink)
Member
 
Jus10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Motor Droid Bionic, Acer Iconia A501
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
justynreid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2006 View Post
guys is there anyway to get it off ATT site as off-contract

but not as a AT&T customer, if im with someone else for example.

Only place you can purchase equipment without an account is in retail locations unfortunatly.
Jus10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #78 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 604
 
Device(s): HTC One X, BB Curve Dell Streak (RIP)
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 28
Thanked 43 Times in 41 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to nb_mitch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus10 View Post
Only place you can purchase equipment without an account is in retail locations unfortunatly.
But you can buy a device from almost anywhere "without a contract" and then cancel your at&t service immediately. They just aren't cheap.
nb_mitch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
Jus10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Motor Droid Bionic, Acer Iconia A501
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
justynreid
Default

Marc can correct me if I'm wrong, but non contract lines can only happen on existing accounts if its done online or over the phone, otherwise you're getting atleast a 1year contract.
Jus10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #80 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MarcMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area, ca
Posts: 590
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus CDMA, Nexus 7 on the way! Skyrocket, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, Galaxy Tab, Kindle
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 201 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus10 View Post
Marc can correct me if I'm wrong, but non contract lines can only happen on existing accounts if its done online or over the phone, otherwise you're getting atleast a 1year contract.
you can actually activate your own equipment under no contract. (i think thats what you guys are talking about)
MarcMaiden is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #81 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Unlimited 4G Data

Marc, thanks for doing the Q&A here. It's very helpful.

I'm ready to upgrade, and had been looking at a Captivate. Then, the new "4G" phones came out and I wasn't sure. I'm leaning toward still getting the Captivate, thinking that by time I'm ready for my next upgrade, that's when the HSPA+ will have fully rolled out, and LTE/HSPA+ phones will be available. Here is my concern:

I have unlimited data, and I absolutely, positively want to keep it. If I get the Captivate, thereby not getting on a "4G" unlimited data plan now, do I face the possibility that I will miss a 4G unlimited data grandfathering cutoff date sometime before my next upgrade? History tells me that they might use LTE as a way of "un-grandfathering" people with unlimited data.
sween01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #82 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MarcMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area, ca
Posts: 590
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus CDMA, Nexus 7 on the way! Skyrocket, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, Galaxy Tab, Kindle
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 201 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sween01 View Post
Marc, thanks for doing the Q&A here. It's very helpful.

I'm ready to upgrade, and had been looking at a Captivate. Then, the new "4G" phones came out and I wasn't sure. I'm leaning toward still getting the Captivate, thinking that by time I'm ready for my next upgrade, that's when the HSPA+ will have fully rolled out, and LTE/HSPA+ phones will be available. Here is my concern:

I have unlimited data, and I absolutely, positively want to keep it. If I get the Captivate, thereby not getting on a "4G" unlimited data plan now, do I face the possibility that I will miss a 4G unlimited data grandfathering cutoff date sometime before my next upgrade? History tells me that they might use LTE as a way of "un-grandfathering" people with unlimited data.
I really would advise you against the Captivate. (most people here would as well) Its a good phone with bugs and lack of support from samsung (and AT&T) If i were you, Id look at the inspire and atrix. I currently have the inspire and it works very well. Plus, $100 is hard to beat. The atrix comes out tuesday and is quite a power house of a phone with a lot of features. You cant go wrong with either the inspire or atrix, and both devices will allow you to keep your unlimited data.
MarcMaiden is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarcMaiden For This Useful Post:
sween01 (February 19th, 2011)
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #83 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 125
 
Device(s): HTC Inspire 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Marc,

Just wanted to say thanks. Just walked out of my corp store with my Inspire and I was able to get a slightly better deal than the Exception Upgrade, which was fantastic. Appreciate the information!
jonhcox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #84 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MarcMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area, ca
Posts: 590
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus CDMA, Nexus 7 on the way! Skyrocket, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, Galaxy Tab, Kindle
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 201 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhcox View Post
Marc,

Just wanted to say thanks. Just walked out of my corp store with my Inspire and I was able to get a slightly better deal than the Exception Upgrade, which was fantastic. Appreciate the information!
glad it worked out for you buddy!
MarcMaiden is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #85 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: White Lake, MI
Posts: 251
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I only had my Captivate for 6 months. Is there anyway to get the upgrade price instead of buying it off contract?
mi04se1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #86 (permalink)
Member
 
Jus10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Motor Droid Bionic, Acer Iconia A501
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
justynreid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcMaiden View Post
you can actually activate your own equipment under no contract. (i think thats what you guys are talking about)
I misunderstood. The way it sounded was that he was trying to purchase the phone with no account, which can only be done in COR stores... but he ws just meaning no contract on his account. duh Jus10!
Jus10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #87 (permalink)
Member
 
Jus10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Motor Droid Bionic, Acer Iconia A501
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
justynreid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi04se1 View Post
I only had my Captivate for 6 months. Is there anyway to get the upgrade price instead of buying it off contract?
Not that I'm aware of, but I did hear Best Buy's buying back your cell phones and laptops and put the credit towards a new purchase. Don't know too many details on that though.

You would have to have it for atleast a year for customer service to try an early upgrade.
Jus10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #88 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sween01 View Post
Marc, thanks for doing the Q&A here. It's very helpful.

I'm ready to upgrade, and had been looking at a Captivate. Then, the new "4G" phones came out and I wasn't sure. I'm leaning toward still getting the Captivate, thinking that by time I'm ready for my next upgrade, that's when the HSPA+ will have fully rolled out, and LTE/HSPA+ phones will be available. Here is my concern:

I have unlimited data, and I absolutely, positively want to keep it. If I get the Captivate, thereby not getting on a "4G" unlimited data plan now, do I face the possibility that I will miss a 4G unlimited data grandfathering cutoff date sometime before my next upgrade? History tells me that they might use LTE as a way of "un-grandfathering" people with unlimited data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcMaiden View Post
I really would advise you against the Captivate. (most people here would as well) Its a good phone with bugs and lack of support from samsung (and AT&T) If i were you, Id look at the inspire and atrix. I currently have the inspire and it works very well. Plus, $100 is hard to beat. The atrix comes out tuesday and is quite a power house of a phone with a lot of features. You cant go wrong with either the inspire or atrix, and both devices will allow you to keep your unlimited data.
OK, thanks Marc. I'm a bit hesitant about the Inspire and Atrix because, based on what I've read so far, they don't seem to compare to the Captivate in terms of call quality and battery life, which are two of the most important factors to me.

So, whether it be the Captivate or another non-4G phone, what do you think about the possibility of missing the unlimited 4G data boat? Should my grandfathered status be safe in 18-24 months, or do I face the possibility of a cutoff date before then? Thanks in advance!
sween01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #89 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MarcMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area, ca
Posts: 590
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus CDMA, Nexus 7 on the way! Skyrocket, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, Galaxy Tab, Kindle
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 201 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sween01 View Post
OK, thanks Marc. I'm a bit hesitant about the Inspire and Atrix because, based on what I've read so far, they don't seem to compare to the Captivate in terms of call quality and battery life, which are two of the most important factors to me.

So, whether it be the Captivate or another non-4G phone, what do you think about the possibility of missing the unlimited 4G data boat? Should my grandfathered status be safe in 18-24 months, or do I face the possibility of a cutoff date before then? Thanks in advance!
I do not think there is a possibility of missing the 4g data boat. I think the only time AT&T might take unlimited away is when they launch LTE. So for now you are good my friend.

If call quality and battery are your thing, get the atrix. Trust me you will not regret it. It has a similar feel to the captivate, the phone runs faster, comes with android 2.2 (which does make a huge difference in battery and performance), and the reviews have said the atrix call quality is very good. That being said, I own the inspire and while the battery gets "me" through the day, the heavy heavy usage will run you out before days end. The inspire is already out (as you already know) and the Atrix makes it debut on tuesday. I'd try em out side by side when it releases.
MarcMaiden is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #90 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: White Lake, MI
Posts: 251
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus10 View Post
Not that I'm aware of, but I did hear Best Buy's buying back your cell phones and laptops and put the credit towards a new purchase. Don't know too many details on that though.

You would have to have it for atleast a year for customer service to try an early upgrade.
If I buy say an Inspire off contract, what fees will I be charged? Would I have to pay an eft or any upgrade fees? I was doing the math on switching to VZW and getting a TB. I seen the phone is $299 with a 2 year contract plus the eft from ATT which puts it over $500. Even if I sell the Captivate, I will still owe aprox. $250-300.
mi04se1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 21st, 2011, 02:07 PM   #91 (permalink)
Member
 
Jus10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Motor Droid Bionic, Acer Iconia A501
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
justynreid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi04se1 View Post
If I buy say an Inspire off contract, what fees will I be charged? Would I have to pay an eft or any upgrade fees?
If there's no discounts off of the phone, then the only thing extra is sales tax. The only time you pay an axtra upgrade fee is with a one or two year upgrade discount applied.
Jus10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:14 PM   #92 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): htc aria, capticate, htc inspire
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
chgachet1@gmail.com
Default speed htc

Hello Mark,
I hope you can help me outI have been doing test after test of the data transfer on my new htc, not once I have reached 2000kps, 98% of the time I get between 500-700. I went to the corporate store, they gave me a "new sim card" that is the same look as what I had before.
I called to customer service, they told me this morning that I need to switch to the $45.00 data plan for phone to work correctly, even thou I have unlimited data plan right now.
Any ideas as to what I should do to get a decent speed on my htc?
Thanks.
chgachet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:51 PM   #93 (permalink)
Member
 
Jus10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Motor Droid Bionic, Acer Iconia A501
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
justynreid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgachet View Post
Hello Mark,
I hope you can help me outI have been doing test after test of the data transfer on my new htc, not once I have reached 2000kps, 98% of the time I get between 500-700. I went to the corporate store, they gave me a "new sim card" that is the same look as what I had before.
I called to customer service, they told me this morning that I need to switch to the $45.00 data plan for phone to work correctly, even thou I have unlimited data plan right now.
Any ideas as to what I should do to get a decent speed on my htc?
Thanks.
I know you asked Mark, but I wanted to chime in ASAP so you're not responsible for extra data plan charges... the plan doesn't effect the speed, try to take that back down immediatley. The main reasons why you're not getting the best speeds on a device is either coverage, or network traffic, never rate plans. That's hogwash. If your speeds didn't increase after updating the SIM, it could be coverage. But if you know alot of people on iPhone, tell them to stop using so much data. Its a network hog, and frankly I wish more people took their iPhones to Verizon.
Jus10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM   #94 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): htc aria, capticate, htc inspire
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
chgachet1@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus10 View Post
I know you asked Mark, but I wanted to chime in ASAP so you're not responsible for extra data plan charges... the plan doesn't effect the speed, try to take that back down immediatley. The main reasons why you're not getting the best speeds on a device is either coverage, or network traffic, never rate plans. That's hogwash. If your speeds didn't increase after updating the SIM, it could be coverage. But if you know alot of people on iPhone, tell them to stop using so much data. Its a network hog, and frankly I wish more people took their iPhones to Verizon.


Thanks s lot for your quick response...MY wife has a HTC aria and the speed on that unit is always close to 2000kps...mine 550, same time, same server city...
chgachet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:52 PM   #95 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: White Lake, MI
Posts: 251
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus10 View Post
If there's no discounts off of the phone, then the only thing extra is sales tax. The only time you pay an axtra upgrade fee is with a one or two year upgrade discount applied.
I asked a rep on the ATT website and he said the same thing. I ended up buying the Inspire and got an email it shipped already and Ill recieve it on Wendsday.
mi04se1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:35 AM   #96 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 37
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus10 View Post
Only place you can purchase equipment without an account is in retail locations unfortunatly.
Or form amazon wireless
just got one for 599
SS2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:35 AM   #97 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 37
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

but I need to figure out how to unlock it
SS2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #98 (permalink)
Member
 
Jus10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Motor Droid Bionic, Acer Iconia A501
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
justynreid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2006 View Post
Or form amazon wireless
just got one for 599
I never use Amazon. So I didn't know.
Jus10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #99 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 32
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Question: When I login to my AT&T wireless account online, it says that I will be eligible for a fully discounted upgrade on 7/26/11. Is this the end-all-be-all date for a full upgrade? Or is there a way I can get around this? I'm so anxious about the Atrix, and I really don't want to wait until August to get it.
MdX MaxX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #100 (permalink)
Member
 
Jus10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Motor Droid Bionic, Acer Iconia A501
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
justynreid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdX MaxX View Post
Question: When I login to my AT&T wireless account online, it says that I will be eligible for a fully discounted upgrade on 7/26/11. Is this the end-all-be-all date for a full upgrade? Or is there a way I can get around this? I'm so anxious about the Atrix, and I really don't want to wait until August to get it.
You may be able to qualify for an early upgrade. Call customer care, sometimes there's a bigger upgrade fee involved but if you don't want to wait that would be the way to do it.
Jus10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > AT&T
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.