Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications > Tasker

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree17Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM   #101 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,254
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 177 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbie View Post
Set up into three widgets:

Work profile:
Wifi off, 4G on, bluetooth off, ringer off

Home profile:
Wifi on, 4g off, bluetooth on, ringer on

Car profile:
Wifi off, 3G on, bluetooth on, ringer on

Then one to augment the car profile with a choice to launch car panel
Context: bluetooth on, 3g on
Menu: launch carpanel

Have you tried making a menu task and a widget with a 3 way menu? You touch the widget and a profile menu comes up. 2 touches instead of 1 but only 1 widget!

Widgets with menu tasks are sweet.... I have a games widget that pulls up a menu (arcade, skill, cards, puzzles) and each individual menu was a link back to the main games menu too

FramCire is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #102 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
LfcFan1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 70
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Hi all.
I'm new to tasker and it gives me some headaches.
Is there anywhere to find the list of commands, such as %PACTIVE or %BATT ?
LfcFan1977 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #103 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 188
 
Device(s): Nexus One, Galaxy Tab, G2X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LfcFan1977 View Post
Hi all.
I'm new to tasker and it gives me some headaches.
Is there anywhere to find the list of commands, such as %PACTIVE or %BATT ?
Absolutely! Check out: Tasker for Android which lists all the variables you can use as well as how to create your own. After you read through that site, check out the Wiki which has many examples and profiles you can download and modify to fit your needs.

After you create a few of your own profiles, it will make a lot more sense and get easier. I just can't say enough good about this app. It is my absolute favorite Android app.
Maris is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maris For This Useful Post:
CriticalCritic (October 31st, 2010), Dark One (February 18th, 2012)
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #104 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
LfcFan1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 70
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Cheers Maris,
I had looked on both "Tasker for Andriod" and the "Wiki" pages but not found it.
How I missed it last time I'll never know. But found them now.
Typical that we ask a stupid question, then find the answer that was staring us in the face the whole time.
*blushes*
LOL
LfcFan1977 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #105 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
LfcFan1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 70
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Blush

deleted
poor post
LfcFan1977 is offline  
Last edited by LfcFan1977; October 31st, 2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: poor post
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #106 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
bwsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 97
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I have a couple that I use but need help tweaking a couple. I got the 4G Locale Plugin so I have it activate 4G when I open browser or facebook and turn off 4G when I exit. And of course the standby of turning on WiFi at home. Themore complicated ones are giving me trouble.

What I am trying to do:

1. Turn GPS on when turning on the screen and turn GPS off when the screen turns off UNLESS a program is using it. i tried launching GPS with Navigator, but it immediately gives me an error that GHPS is not on and sends me to settings.

2. Turn on Bluetooth when I turn the screen on and turn Bluetooth off when the screen turns off UNLESS a blurtooth device is connected.

I tried looking at the Tasker forums but cant seem to figure it out.
bwsmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #107 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
UncleMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 2,123
 
Device(s): Moto X - GSM DE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 392 Times in 325 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsmith View Post
I have a couple that I use but need help tweaking a couple. I got the 4G Locale Plugin so I have it activate 4G when I open browser or facebook and turn off 4G when I exit. And of course the standby of turning on WiFi at home. Themore complicated ones are giving me trouble.

What I am trying to do:

1. Turn GPS on when turning on the screen and turn GPS off when the screen turns off UNLESS a program is using it. i tried launching GPS with Navigator, but it immediately gives me an error that GHPS is not on and sends me to settings.

2. Turn on Bluetooth when I turn the screen on and turn Bluetooth off when the screen turns off UNLESS a blurtooth device is connected.

I tried looking at the Tasker forums but cant seem to figure it out.
For #1, you would have to list the apps that might use GPS. There's no way for Tasker to tell if another app is using GPS or not. Something like this:

Context: Display On
Task: GPS On

Context: Display Off
Context: Application [ Apps:Maps Invert:Yes ]
Task: GPS Off

For #2:

Context: Display On
Task: Bluetooth On

Context: Display Off
Context: Bluetooth Connected [ Invert:Yes ]
Task: Bluetooth Off

In either one of the above cases, you may want to substitute 'Display Unlocked' for 'Display On'.
UncleMike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #108 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
bwsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 97
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

That worked PERFECT for Bluetooth. For the GPS, I found that only Navigation gets bitchy about the 1 second delay. So i just used Tasker to create a widget that enables GPS and then launches Navigation.

Coming from Locale, i am impressed with everything that Tasker can do but good Lord what a learning curve. They need to add some common presets like a few sound profiles and one of the task sections as "common" like volumes, GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, ringtone, etc that people use more often. It is a pain to check all those folders for something simple like Alarm volume. They REALLY need to work on being more user friendly. Maybe a simple mode like Locale is set up and an advanced mode like Tasker is currently set up. That would let new users or basic users get going on it quickly but leave all the features for advanced users or for the basic users to learn on.
bwsmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #109 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 192
 
Device(s): Droid X (rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gizbug Send a message via Yahoo to gizbug
Default

How do you import the profiles off the wiki into the app?
gizbug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #110 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 192
 
Device(s): Droid X (rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gizbug Send a message via Yahoo to gizbug
Default

Following this guy, I do not know where to find "exit task"

Any ideas?

Enhancing battery life using Tasker - Tasker Wiki
gizbug is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #111 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 292
 
Device(s): Samsung GS3
Carrier: T-Mobile (US)

Thanks: 8
Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizbug View Post
How do you import the profiles off the wiki into the app?
Save the profiles to the /sdcard/Tasker/profiles directory on your phone. In the Tasker app main page go to menu -> 'Profile Data' -> 'Import One Profile' and you will be presented with the profiles saved above to select.
cjr72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #112 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 292
 
Device(s): Samsung GS3
Carrier: T-Mobile (US)

Thanks: 8
Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizbug View Post
Following this guy, I do not know where to find "exit task"

Any ideas?

Enhancing battery life using Tasker - Tasker Wiki
From the main Tasker page expand that profile and tap on the task created in step 4. You will be presented with a menu that contains exit task.
cjr72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #113 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 192
 
Device(s): Droid X (rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gizbug Send a message via Yahoo to gizbug
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr72 View Post
Save the profiles to the /sdcard/Tasker/profiles directory on your phone. In the Tasker app main page go to menu -> 'Profile Data' -> 'Import One Profile' and you will be presented with the profiles saved above to select.
Thanks a lot
gizbug is offline  
Last edited by gizbug; October 25th, 2010 at 12:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #114 (permalink)
Member
 
ArmadaTattoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Limerick Ireland
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia S TuRdZzROM v1.3.0 ROM
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Has anyone tried using the Profile Switcher set from here:
Phoneprofilechanger - Tasker Wiki

When I select a profile after adding the widget I get an error saying "Error, profile doesn't exist"

I have all profiles set up, work, home etc

Anyone have any ideas?
__________________
Sony Xperia S
ArmadaTattoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #115 (permalink)
Member
 
ArmadaTattoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Limerick Ireland
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia S TuRdZzROM v1.3.0 ROM
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Edit; apologies for double post. Not sure how I did that
ArmadaTattoo is offline  
Last edited by ArmadaTattoo; October 26th, 2010 at 05:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #116 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 114
 
Device(s): DESIRE (I love it) i7500 (I hate it - for sale)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkey View Post
Currently I've got the following profiles..

5. OverrideSleeping: overrides Sleeping profile for a whitelist of callers
How did you create the whitelist of callers?
I've setup tasker to activate "silent mode" at night (from 23:00 to 07:00) but I want the phone to ring for a few callers.
biggdaniell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #117 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CodeMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the sofa
Posts: 562
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (stock), Nexus Galaxy (retired), Atrix (ret.), N1 (ret.), Magic (ret.), G1 (ret.)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 102 Times in 86 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdaniell View Post
How did you create the whitelist of callers?
I've setup tasker to activate "silent mode" at night (from 23:00 to 07:00) but I want the phone to ring for a few callers.
I followed the DIY steps at tasker.wikidot.com/sleepmode
__________________
Monkey see, monkey do.

CodeMonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CodeMonkey For This Useful Post:
biggdaniell (October 29th, 2010)
Old October 29th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #118 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 114
 
Device(s): DESIRE (I love it) i7500 (I hate it - for sale)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

It worked (eventually). Thanks.
biggdaniell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #119 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
bwsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 97
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I got one more I can't figure out. How do I set it to turn GPS on for 2 minutes every 15 minutes? This way Tasker can get my fix for my location based profiles without leaving GPS on all the time.
bwsmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #120 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
chrlswltrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,741
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 w/ LTE
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,174
Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,163 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdaniell View Post
How did you create the whitelist of callers?
I've setup tasker to activate "silent mode" at night (from 23:00 to 07:00) but I want the phone to ring for a few callers.
The easiest way to make a whitelist of callers that will ring no matter what is with an app called selective silence by chainsDD. I'm on my phone right now or I would post an appbrain link.
__________________
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

-Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775
chrlswltrs is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #121 (permalink)
New Member
 
Xmeoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the Desert
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Any chance someone, who has the "Find my phone" profile working, post the steps. I've tried the ones posted on tasker.wikidot.com. No luck.

I would like to be able to get a reply msg w/gps coordinates and open google maps to show, but I gotta feeling that's asking a lot.

I want to add this to my wife's phone in case of any emergency, I could track her down.

Thanks for any help.
Xmeoff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #122 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
chrlswltrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,741
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 w/ LTE
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,174
Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,163 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmeoff View Post
Any chance someone, who has the "Find my phone" profile working, post the steps. I've tried the ones posted on tasker.wikidot.com. No luck.

I would like to be able to get a reply msg w/gps coordinates and open google maps to show, but I gotta feeling that's asking a lot.

I want to add this to my wife's phone in case of any emergency, I could track her down.

Thanks for any help.
On the HTTP Get task

Server: port should be

is.gd/api.php?longurl=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%LOC

There was an error on this line in the profile on the tasker wiki
chrlswltrs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 05:23 PM   #123 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Google Nexus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

My first post on Android Forums,

Just tried tasker for 3days and i find its one of the best profile apps i've been using.

Some of the profiles i use:

GPS Auto On
Switch on GPS when apps like sportypal, Maps, etc is launched.

Mobile Data Auto On
Switch Data On for apps that require data, switch off after 2-3min of exit app.

Sleep
Put phone to silent
Off mobile data
Off Wifi
Disable all other Profiles except Emergency Calls
On exit
enable some profiles
AutoReply to SMS

Emergency Calls during Sleep Mode
Disable silent mode for 3min for caller numbers that fit criteria



The combined profile i'm trying to make work together, but does not seem to work perfectly, yet....

Near Cell *this profile turns my mobile data on to get location via network when i'm near cell tower near my home
- turn mobile data on
- turn profile status "Near Home" on
- get location, Net <--task 3
- go to task 3, if %nearhome isn't 1

Near Home(location 200m, net) *When location via network is within 200m of my home, this profile turns GPS on to get more accurate location.
- set %nearhome = 1
- turn mobile data off
- turn GPS on
- turn profile status "50m Home" on
- turn profile status "Near Cell" off
- get location, GPS <--task 6
- wait 30sec
- go to task 6, if %50mhome isn't 1

50m Home, (location 50m, GPS) *this profile turns Wifi on when GPS detects i'm within 50meters of home.
- set %50mhome = 1
- turn GPS off
- turn WIFI on
- turn profile status "Wifi Con" on
- turn profile status "Near Home" off
- wait 30sec


Wifi Connected SSID+MAC
- turn profile status "30m Home"

Wifi Disconnected SSID+MAC *this profile turns Wifi Off when it's disconnected, ie when modem off or i leave home.
- turn WIFI off
- Clear %nearhome
- Clear %50mhome
- turn profile status "Near Cell" On



Suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
I just want my wifi to be auto on when i'm home but not to always keep GPS and data on.. So since cell location is the least accurate, then Net, then GPS.. i switch them on incrementally... But i still can't get it work 100% of the time
cyben76 is offline  
Last edited by cyben76; October 31st, 2010 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:58 AM   #124 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
amlothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 202 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyben76 View Post
I just want my wifi to be auto on when i'm home but not to always keep GPS and data on.. So since cell location is the least accurate, then Net, then GPS.. i switch them on incrementally... But i still can't get it work 100% of the time
Is there a reason you aren't using a single profile with a Wifi Near context to turn wifi on and off???

Context: Wifi Near (home wifi)
Task: Wifi On
Exit Task: Wifi Off


This is basically what I use. Make sure you check the "Toggle Wifi" option. Your phone will turn on Wifi briefly every few minutes to look for your home wifi, and if not found, turn off.
amlothi is offline  
Last edited by amlothi; November 1st, 2010 at 04:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:01 AM   #125 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
amlothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 202 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsmith View Post
I got one more I can't figure out. How do I set it to turn GPS on for 2 minutes every 15 minutes? This way Tasker can get my fix for my location based profiles without leaving GPS on all the time.
You don't need to setup a profile to do this. If you have location contexts setup to use GPS, Tasker will turn it on occasionally to find your location.

In the Tasker settings, under Monitor, you can set the time between GPS location checks. There are two settings, one for when the screen is off and one for what the screen is on. Click the ? buttons to get descriptions of all of them, it's helpful.

Edit: I highly recommend you don't use GPS for location contexts, unless you plan to plug your phone in multiple times during the day. It uses a lot of battery.
amlothi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:00 AM   #126 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Google Nexus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlothi View Post
Is there a reason you aren't using a single profile with a Wifi Near context to turn wifi on and off???

Context: Wifi Near (home wifi)
Task: Wifi On
Exit Task: Wifi Off


This is basically what I use. Make sure you check the "Toggle Wifi" option. Your phone will turn on Wifi briefly every few minutes to look for your home wifi, and if not found, turn off.
hmmm, thats a great and simple solution.

Maybe i'll set when near cell, turn on profile toggle wifi, when connected turn off near cell and toggle wifi, when disconnected turn on near cell and toggle wifi?
cyben76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:38 AM   #127 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 114
 
Device(s): DESIRE (I love it) i7500 (I hate it - for sale)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I have 2 problems:

I'm using a pattern lock but it's annoying as hell so I've setup a profile in order to "ease the pain" a little. Most of the time I'm either at home,at work or in my car (with BT headphones connected) so I'm connected to wifi AP's (wifi is on even when screen is locked) or to bluetooth so there's no worry regarding loosing/stealing my phone and I don't really need the pattern lock. So this "lock" profile should do:

- disable the pattern lock while wifi (any of my saved connections) OR bluetooth (any of my devices) are connected.

Sounds simple (and it is) but it's not working (not all the time). My guess is that tasker is simply stopping the service (screen lock) but from time to time something is starting back the service and tasker is not aware of that. So I tried to make it "aware" by adding a new context "display on". So basically tasker should disable the "screen lock" everytime I turn on the display (and wifi is connected).

Second problem:

I'm trying to create a profile to record my phone conversations and of course it's not working the way I was hoping to. There is no "outgoing call" event (just incoming call) and for "incoming call" the recorded file is 0 bytes!


Any clues ? Thanks!
biggdaniell is offline  
Last edited by biggdaniell; November 1st, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:27 AM   #128 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 192
 
Device(s): Droid X (rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gizbug Send a message via Yahoo to gizbug
Default

Any suggestions on setting up a profile with this criteria....

From 1030pm to 3am phone on silent (except for alarms) then sound on after 3am
gizbug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM   #129 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
chrlswltrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,741
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 w/ LTE
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,174
Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,163 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizbug View Post
Any suggestions on setting up a profile with this criteria....

From 1030pm to 3am phone on silent (except for alarms) then sound on after 3am
Context: time

Tasks:
Media volume =0
Ringer volume=0
Alert volume =0

Exit tasks (not needed but i recommend):
Set a volume level for each of those 3 volumes
chrlswltrs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 03:05 AM   #130 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
amlothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 202 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyben76 View Post
hmmm, thats a great and simple solution.

Maybe i'll set when near cell, turn on profile toggle wifi, when connected turn off near cell and toggle wifi, when disconnected turn on near cell and toggle wifi?
Hopefully you return to this thread, because I think you misunderstood.

You only need 1 profile. That's it.

Context: Wifi Near (set name of your home wifi and check the "Toggle Wifi" option for this context)

When you set the context like this, Tasker will toggle wifi on and off every few minutes to look for your home wifi. That's it. No need for cell tower or anything else that might complicate it. It doesn't use a lot of battery. I have 40-50% battery left when I go to bed using Wifi Near all day to determine location context.
amlothi is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 2nd, 2010, 03:07 AM   #131 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
amlothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 202 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlswltrs View Post
Context: time

Tasks:
Media volume =0
Ringer volume=0
Alert volume =0

Exit tasks (not needed but i recommend):
Set a volume level for each of those 3 volumes
Just a suggestion, you might want to add another context in addition to "Time". In the event you are not sleeping and might want to use the phone.

I use a combination of time, AC power, and application context. (Application is desk clock, since I use that as my nighttime clock.)
amlothi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 06:05 AM   #132 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Google Nexus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlothi View Post
Hopefully you return to this thread, because I think you misunderstood.

You only need 1 profile. That's it.

Context: Wifi Near (set name of your home wifi and check the "Toggle Wifi" option for this context)

When you set the context like this, Tasker will toggle wifi on and off every few minutes to look for your home wifi. That's it. No need for cell tower or anything else that might complicate it. It doesn't use a lot of battery. I have 40-50% battery left when I go to bed using Wifi Near all day to determine location context.
Hmmm.. Tested with Cell Near profile, seems ok so far.. Will test with cell near profile a couple more days then test with just Wifi Near for a few days to compare the batt usage..

Oh yah the other day i just tested my Sleep Profile with auto SMS reply. It works, i sms myself to see the reply sms, got a reply on my other work phone. So i switch off my other phone, went to sleep.. When i woke up i switch on my work phone, i received 10+ of the same SMS, "I'm sleeping right now....." I had check the my sms outbox, shows only 1 sent sms, don't know why..

I only have few more days left for the trial, just can't decide to buy or not...
cyben76 is offline  
Last edited by cyben76; November 2nd, 2010 at 06:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 06:05 AM   #133 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 97
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Wifi/Call forward?

Hey guys - was wondering if someone could help.

I want to set up a profile so that, when my phone detects my work wifi network, it dials a call forward number programmed into my contacts. On the flip side, when it disconnects, it would dial a cancel call forward to return calls directly to my phone.

Any help is appreciated!!
bweave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:15 PM   #134 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
UncleMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 2,123
 
Device(s): Moto X - GSM DE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 392 Times in 325 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweave View Post
Hey guys - was wondering if someone could help.

I want to set up a profile so that, when my phone detects my work wifi network, it dials a call forward number programmed into my contacts. On the flip side, when it disconnects, it would dial a cancel call forward to return calls directly to my phone.

Any help is appreciated!!
Profile 1
Context: Wifi Near
Enter Task:
Call [ Number:<number> AutoDial:Yes ]

Profile 2
Context: Wifi Connected [ SSID:<yourSSID> ]
Exit Task:
Call [ Number:<CancelForward> AutoDial:Yes ]

This will forward calls when Tasker sees your Wifi network, and will cancel forwarding upon disconnect. This assumes that you're connecting to a network (you said you wanted to cancel upon disconnect). If it happens to see your network but is unable to connect for some reason, the forwarding will never get canceled.
UncleMike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 03:34 AM   #135 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
amlothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 202 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
Profile 1
Context: Wifi Near
Enter Task:
Call [ Number:<number> AutoDial:Yes ]

Profile 2
Context: Wifi Connected [ SSID:<yourSSID> ]
Exit Task:
Call [ Number:<CancelForward> AutoDial:Yes ]

This will forward calls when Tasker sees your Wifi network, and will cancel forwarding upon disconnect. This assumes that you're connecting to a network (you said you wanted to cancel upon disconnect). If it happens to see your network but is unable to connect for some reason, the forwarding will never get canceled.

Bweave, if you are connecting to the Wifi while at work, you only need one profile with an enter and exit task. So combine the two above.

But yeah, Mike, you are right, the question was when the phone "detects"...
amlothi is offline  
Last edited by amlothi; November 3rd, 2010 at 03:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:06 AM   #136 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
starflorida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N. Florida
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): HTC DNA
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default Appbrain & Market interaction with mobile data

I set up all the apps that need mobile data and/or gps to turn them on and off via Tasker shortcuts and tasks.

If you click on an app listed in Appbrain, it switches to the detail page in Market and data is turned off and not turned back on (even though both apps have tasks to do it).

It seems that Tasker does not recognize the Market app as loaded when Appbrain switches to it.

Any ideas?
starflorida is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:24 PM   #137 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 94
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

None of these are original, got or modified from one place or another.

Charging:
Context
Power - Any
App (not) - Car Home

Task
Wifi - Set on

Exit Task
Wifi - Set off


Power Dock:
Context
Power - Any

Task
1.) Auto Brightness - Set Off
2.) Display Brightness - level 255
3.) WifiSleep - Policy, Never
4.) Display Rotation- Set On
5.) Load App - App Clock

Exit Task
1.) Display Rotation - Set Off
2.) Auto Brightness - Set on
3.) Wifi Sleep - Policy, Screen off


Headset:
Context
Headset - Plugged, Any

Task
Task Properties, Set Menu
1.) Load App - App, Winamp
2.) Load App - App, Doubletwist
3.) Load App - App, Power Amp
4.) Load App - App, Last.fm
5.) Load App - App, Pandora


Driving:
Context
App - Car Home

Task
Task Properties, Set Menu
1.) GPS, Set On
2.) Bluetooth, Set On

Exit Task
1.) GPS, Set Off
__________________
Support good honest quality Android development, by not doing business with those that treat honest customers with contempt.
brianem is offline  
Last edited by brianem; November 3rd, 2010 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:37 PM   #138 (permalink)
New Member
 
Xmeoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the Desert
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlswltrs View Post
On the HTTP Get task

Server: port should be

is.gd/api.php?longurl=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%LOC

There was an error on this line in the profile on the tasker wiki
Thanks for the quick reply. I checked phrase in the Server:Port and it was the same as what you posted. I think someone updated the wiki page.

http://tasker.wikidot.com/locatephone

I'll try it again and see what happens.
Xmeoff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:44 PM   #139 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 72
 
Device(s): Samsung Vibrant
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I need some help with a profile please.
It's basically a wi-fi on profil when i get home. So far i have

Context:
Wifi Near [Specified SSID]

Task
Wifi On
Plugin - Remote Notifier "Wi-fi On" (This shows up on my computer)
Sound Alert
Notification Volume =4
Lock Pattern Disabled
Go Home

Exit
Wi-fi Off
Notification Volume 6
Lock Pattern Enabled
Notify Sound



What i would like to do is
1) Disable all my email notifications during the time i am at home, since i'm usually at my computer anyway during that time, and get all my emails there.
I tried to disable app K9, but that didn't work.
I also tried to disable APN, but that didnt seem to work either.


2) Also in the exit task, i would like it to adopt my juicedefender profile...so do i set it do Enable APN's in Juicedefender?

Thanks for the help,

riskaa
riskaa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #140 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
amlothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 202 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflorida View Post
I set up all the apps that need mobile data and/or gps to turn them on and off via Tasker shortcuts and tasks.

If you click on an app listed in Appbrain, it switches to the detail page in Market and data is turned off and not turned back on (even though both apps have tasks to do it).

It seems that Tasker does not recognize the Market app as loaded when Appbrain switches to it.

Any ideas?
First, why are you using shortcuts to do this?

If it were me, I'd set up a profile with "application" as the context. You can select multiple applications here, and the profile will be active when any of them are the main (in use) app.

Then, have it turn mobile data on as the task.

This way, if you switch apps to another application in the list, the profile never turns off and just remains active.

Second, I expect the answer to your questions is that there is a collision. Each task will have a setting for what to do if there is a collision event. I believe the default is to ignore the newest task.

So if Tasker is trying to turn off Mobile Data at the same time as it tries to turn it back on, the collision will occur and the second task will be ignored.
amlothi is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #141 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
amlothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 202 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaa View Post
What i would like to do is
1) Disable all my email notifications during the time i am at home, since i'm usually at my computer anyway during that time, and get all my emails there.
I tried to disable app K9, but that didn't work.
I also tried to disable APN, but that didnt seem to work either.


2) Also in the exit task, i would like it to adopt my juicedefender profile...so do i set it do Enable APN's in Juicedefender?

Thanks for the help,

riskaa
1) I'm not sure Tasker can do exactly what you want. You want to disable email notifications only, but not other apps (Google Voice, Facebook, etc) right?

The simple way would be to disable Auto Sync. That will prevent anything from syncing and should (I think) prevent email notifications. However, I don't see the point in being connected to Wifi and turning Auto Sync off.

The other, more complicated way, would be to disable Email notifications in the related apps completely. Then, write a tasker profile that notifies you when an email comes in. Finally, disable that profile when you are at home.

2) Not sure. I don't use Juice Defender.
amlothi is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amlothi For This Useful Post:
riskaa (November 15th, 2010)
Old November 4th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #142 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
starflorida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N. Florida
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): HTC DNA
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlothi View Post
First, why are you using shortcuts to do this?

If it were me, I'd set up a profile with "application" as the context. You can select multiple applications here, and the profile will be active when any of them are the main (in use) app.

Then, have it turn mobile data on as the task.

This way, if you switch apps to another application in the list, the profile never turns off and just remains active.

Second, I expect the answer to your questions is that there is a collision. Each task will have a setting for what to do if there is a collision event. I believe the default is to ignore the newest task.

So if Tasker is trying to turn off Mobile Data at the same time as it tries to turn it back on, the collision will occur and the second task will be ignored.
Thank you for answering.

An "app" profile does not work with apps that require mobile data (CDMA) because the app is loaded first and either crashes or the loading pauses and asks you to turn on data manually.

That is the reason for using individual tasks that first turn data on, wait a few seconds (to allow it to "stick") then load the app.
starflorida is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #143 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
amlothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 202 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflorida View Post
Thank you for answering.

An "app" profile does not work with apps that require mobile data (CDMA) because the app is loaded first and either crashes or the loading pauses and asks you to turn on data manually.

That is the reason for using individual tasks that first turn data on, wait a few seconds (to allow it to "stick") then load the app.
2 points first, then a question.

The problem with using shortcuts is that if one app calls another app directly (in your case App Brain link is opening the Market app) that isn't going to use your Tasker shortcut at all. It's just going to open the app directly, and ignore Tasker.

The shortcut only works if you manually tap the shortcut you created on your home screen. And, as I said above, if you click two of them too quickly you might have problems with collisions causing one task to abort.

Question:

Why is your mobile data turning off?

I assume your shortcut to open an app has tasks such as this:

1) Mobile On
2) Wait 2 seconds
3) Open App

Shortcuts should be treated as an event, not as an active profile, so there should be no settings restoration (Mobile Off) or exit task.

There must be something else turning off your Mobile Data after you have used a shortcut to turn it on.
amlothi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #144 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Google Nexus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

For app to switch on data automatically, this is what works best for me:

Context:
Application

Task:
1) Variable set %MOBDATA to:ON
2) Mobile Data set On

Exit Task
1) Variable Clear %MOBDATA
2) Wait 1min
3) Mobile Data Off, if %MOBDATA isn't Set (!SET)

The reason i created variable %MOBDATA is because to prevent Mobile Data switching off when i exit an app and reopen another app within that 1min wait. As long as i keep opening apps that requires mobile data it will not switch off.

It works with all apps, except Glympse cos it closes when it detects mobile data is off, workaround i open browser to get mobile data on then i open glympse.
cyben76 is offline  
Last edited by cyben76; November 6th, 2010 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cyben76 For This Useful Post:
starflorida (November 5th, 2010)
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #145 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 53
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey everyone! I was looking to set up Tasker to send me an SMS Message at a particular time. I did the Send Context along with the Time but I'm not getting the message? When I test it it works fine so it has to be something I'm doing wrong with the Tome Context? Could someone post what's the best way to do this? Thanks!
mikespe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #146 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
starflorida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N. Florida
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): HTC DNA
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyben76 View Post
For app to switch on data automatically, this is what works best for me:

Context:
Application

Task:
1) Variable set %MOBDATA to:ON
2) Mobile Data set On

Exit Task
1) Variable Clear %MOBDATA
2) Wait 1min
3) Mobile Data Off, if %MOBDATA isn't Set

The reason i created variable %MOBDATA is because to prevent Mobile Data switching off when i exit an app and reopen another app within that 1min wait. As long as i keep opening apps that requires mobile data it will not switch off.

It works with all apps, except Glympse cos it closes when it detects mobile data is off, workaround i open browser to get mobile data on then i open glympse.

Tried your profile and it works great!

Thank you for your help,

SF
starflorida is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #147 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 266
 
Device(s): HTC DNA HTC Thunderbolt HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Big evil red

Thanks: 14
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

1. takes me to home screen when the phone is idle

2. headphones or bluetooth connected bring up media menu and stop music

3. headphones or bluetooth disconnected stop music

4. Turn on wifi when near my home, turn off bluetooth and GPS (not tested yet, I worry that it will turn it off too soon)

5. make phone silent during work hours and activate vibration alerts

6. when car charger connected turn on GPS and turn on bluetooth

7. When bluetooth connected to my car and sms received send an automated text back saying I am driving.

I am hoping that the last few work, I had not had a chance to test them yet.
Eris1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #148 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
starflorida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N. Florida
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): HTC DNA
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyben76 View Post
For app to switch on data automatically, this is what works best for me:

Context:
Application

Task:
1) Variable set %MOBDATA to:ON
2) Mobile Data set On

Exit Task
1) Variable Clear %MOBDATA
2) Wait 1min
3) Mobile Data Off, if %MOBDATA isn't Set

The reason i created variable %MOBDATA is because to prevent Mobile Data switching off when i exit an app and reopen another app within that 1min wait. As long as i keep opening apps that requires mobile data it will not switch off.

It works with all apps, except Glympse cos it closes when it detects mobile data is off, workaround i open browser to get mobile data on then i open glympse.
Sorry to say, after additional testing, your profile does NOT work for me.

Maybe you are not on a CDMA network and that is why it works for you.

It only worked for me clicking on appbrain because that app does not need data connection to launch as the first screen is a menu.

Profiles with application context load the app first and then connect to 3G and apps line maps, nav, market etc. pause at start and ask you to turn data on.

So far I was only able to make it work is with Tasks.

SF
starflorida is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #149 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Google Nexus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflorida View Post
Sorry to say, after additional testing, your profile does NOT work for me.

Maybe you are not on a CDMA network and that is why it works for you.

It only worked for me clicking on appbrain because that app does not need data connection to launch as the first screen is a menu.

Profiles with application context load the app first and then connect to 3G and apps line maps, nav, market etc. pause at start and ask you to turn data on.

So far I was only able to make it work is with Tasks.

SF
Yup i'm not on CDMA, maps and market work for me though, but sometimes market says i'm not connected i just click "retry" several times and it's ok.

You have to also note that "mobile data" has to set "on" in the system settings initially as stated in tasker :
cyben76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #150 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
LfcFan1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 70
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyben76 View Post
Exit Task
1) Variable Clear %MOBDATA
2) Wait 1min
3) Mobile Data Off, if %MOBDATA isn't Set
I'm not sure I have finished off this task correctly.
Please, can you (or anybody) confirm that "isn't Set" would be? %MOBDATA !~ SET
LfcFan1977 is offline  
Last edited by LfcFan1977; November 6th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications > Tasker
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.