1.1GHz, JIT & CompCache ... can it get better? Umm, yes.

Last Updated:

1. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

One thing some of you over-clockers may not be aware of is, the over-clocked kernel that you flashed to your DROID is based off of the 2.0 kernel. Some folks are reporting issues again that were present before the 2.0.1 update ... i.e. crackling audio, LED and keybd back-lighting dysfunction, etc... Actually, I have yet to experience any of these issues.

This isn't bad news, mind you. Just a little something that we can look forward to as the new & improved kernels become available. I still have high hopes that the official 2.1 release is going to be a very optimized ROM/kernel for our beloved DROID. And when that kernel gets over-clocked . . . LOOK OUT!!! :eek: :cool: :)

----------------------

UPDATE: I have since removed the CompCache from my DROID. I would get reboots when I tried calling anyone. Umm ... that's bad, right? LOL

Advertisement
  2. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was already pointed out somewhere else... I think in the thread about overclocking. I think it was right before I started taking crap over my choice of ROMs. lol.

There are so many things I am looking forward to, and it sucks that there is nothing I can do to pitch in and help any of the devs out so we can get stuff faster.

3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

I get JIT, but what's compcache? Can't wait to root this weekend heh.

4. messenger13

It allows for expansion of ram space. But the verdict is still out from me. I'm seeing a little bit of wackiness that wasn't there before I enabled it. I might revert back and see what's up.

5. GreedyBird

GreedyBird Well-Known Member

I actually noticed at 1G I have lost LED notifications, earlier when I had it 800 or maybe it was the 950 I think I had them.. going to flash to the other one to test

6. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Well-Known Member

I'm at 950 and LED notifications work perfectly... Considering 1G.

7. GreedyBird

GreedyBird Well-Known Member

I just switched back to 950 and I do get LED again!

Is there a nice write up on what exactly JIT is and how to implement it?

8. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Cool -- thanks for the info and Good luck

And keep us posted (like you could resist) ;)

9. messenger13

CompCache was messing with my phone. When I tried calling someone, the phone would reboot. :( It was also acting just kinda glitchy in general. So I reverted back to "just" 1.1 GHz with JIT enabled. Runnin sweet again.

10. messenger13

I've had it running at 800, 900, 1G, and now 1.1G. No issues what-so-ever at any speed. Just lucky I guess.

11. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

My LEDs are also working at 900/1000/1100. However, no matter what frequency, if I have JIT enabled, my browser does not like to ever finish "loading", even though the entire page is rendered, the bar at the top does not complete.

I don't like that, not at all. So I'll just wait for 2.1 and JIT. I think it's better for 2.1 anyways, because 1GHz N1's can get 17 MFlops using cyanogen's JIT, while at stock they barely get 8. Even at 1GHz w/o JIT, the Droid gets like 8.5, so running the exact same software, we should be able to beat the N1...

But idk. Besides benchmark numbers, I don't feel JIT made a difference in the UI or any other actions.

We'll see as it matures.

12. messenger13

No problem here with either the stock or Dolphin browser.

13. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

So, overclockers, how much faster does your phone actually run - real world? Does it feel like it's blazing compared to the stock speed? I finally rooted since 2.1 didn't come on the 22nd. Probably going the OC route next.

14. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

I am at 800 with the adamZ's smoked glass ROM. home screen transitions are noticably faster, along with app tray and notification animations. ap's opening and loading are also alot quicker and booting up is super fast

15. ocman

ocman Well-Known Member

I noticed a 5 second boot time improvement from 800 to 1000 and the same from 600 to 800.

16. messenger13

One thing you won't see me do is get into peeing contests just for the sake of having something newer or better than the next guy. When I speak highly of an app, or a ROM, or a mod, it is because I really think it is something that someone else should do or have.

Having said that ... this over-clocked kernel is ROCKIN'!!! This thing is FLYING! My Sweeter Home theme is a pure joy to navigate. Apps open FAST! Scrolling is smoother everywhere. And pinch and zoom in either of my browsers finally feels PERFECT for the first time. Keep in mind I'm running at 1.1GHz. 800 good. 900, better. But the real show starts at 1GHz. :p

How's that for a ringing endorsement? ;)

17. ocman

ocman Well-Known Member

I have to agree that apps really SNAP at 1Ghz or higher. They open so fast its like it pops lol.

18. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

im running the bugless beauty ROm and freakin loving the multitouch browser, not for the pinch zoom, but it's like having my 2/0 browser back before they broke it, scrolls aswome!!! anyways, how do i get JIT on this rom?

19. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

For about the first time in weeks I'm stuck...I was going to flash the Tas 1.1mhz boot image, but the instructions don't work...

I'm connected to my PC via USB, SD card not mounted, usb debugging enabled, etc.

I boot into sprecovery (hold x and power button), that's fine.

After I do that I run adb shell, that works fine.

Next command is su - that doesn't work - su command results in not found error. Tried mounting system, data, and sdcard from sprecovery mount menu, but su still won't work.

What's the trick?

Thanks!

20. aleksander

aleksander Well-Known Member

hey guys im trying to over clock my device but i ran into a bit of a hard-solid-brick-wall (if you catch my drift:eek:) anyway...i fiddled with my beloved device and i was able to get it back online and running...good thing i had nandroid backup lol

anyway (sorry for the offtopic post) does any of you have a more comprehensive guide to overclock my droid? ...you know one that involves a heavy use of N00b style techniques... :D:cool:

thnx...help's much appreciated.

21. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

You need to give more info...are you rooted? What did you try/where did the problem occur?

22. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

what just got posted above you had most of what you need

23. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

You don't need to type su, it is automatic in recovery. I had the same problem myself but I just said f it and went ahead with the flash_image and it worked fine.

24. aleksander

aleksander Well-Known Member

ok so just like Redflea above i tried to flash Tasmanian_droid image into my local folder and everything went well but when i rebooted it seemed like i did something which caused my phone to loose service...rofl...

so i started paniking..and then i thought about it carefully and tried my skillz lol and re-flashed the original image back into the same folder...long story short i got service back...went into nandroid and made a restore of the system i had b4 doing the first image flash...

now im just stuck and fearful ill brik the phone again

25. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

well we all have nandroid backups, i have 1 of 2.0.1 and i could pass it your way if ya get probs... so no worries really. i know many more have dif backups as well :) i can't say i am worried to ruin it cause someone can help me bring it back, i've been lucky lately but overclocking on 2.1 is making me nervous, i mean i am, but i have been getting nervous lately haha. checking my benchmark a lot!