1.5 and root or 2.1?

Last Updated:

1. 1sved1

1sved1 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Hero with 1.5 on it and I wondering if I should root it using the "Super One Click" method or just update it to 2.1. (can I root it using that method after updating it?) I'm concerned about what I will lose via either method (texts, apps, etc) I have been reading the Forums for info and there is so much I thought I would just ask. I would not describe myself as a techie but I'm not a complete twit either. Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Advertisement
  2. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

You should ask in the "All Things Root" section, but you should also include what your objectives are... i.e. staying with the stock ROM rooted, or updating to another ROM.

In general, I see no reason to stay with 1.5, but if you are rooting to upgrade to CM6, or another ROM, then my thought is that it is a waste of time to upgrade your Hero before rooting.

3. 1sved1

1sved1 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you - I was not sure what advantages going to 2.1 would give me. I have been reading about rooting (I would like to be able to put all my apps on my SD card to see if it would speed up the phone) and I'm not sure if I should do it with or without updating first or if updating alone might deal with some of the lag issues. I also wasn't sure what stuff would go away once I updated - from what I read, texts all go away and I wondered what else might be lost. I will re post in the all things root section. Thank you for the etiquette tip.