• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 1.6 and Battery

Flashed to 1.6 OEM this morning with 71% of charge.

Had WiFi on (and using it heavilly) for nearly two hours. Left it on, but left the house, for another 10 hours.

GPS + Network Locations on for about an hour while running Maps + Navigation

About a dozen or so phone calls equalling nearly an hour and a half.

Listened to two hours of podcasts.

Phone was at 20%. (50% loss over the 10 hours or so)

Then I realised my PodCatcher wasn't letting my phone sleep :-/ Changed the settings on that app to only check for updates once per day, and in the two and a half hours since I "fixed" it, I've dropped 2%.

Gotta love Sleep Bugs :p

I won't be able to properlly calibrate the battery until Monday or Tuesday due to work, though.

Upvote 0
Ok,

*I calibrated the battery, twice
*i did a master rest of the phone and put no apps on it gave that a day
*but all the same apps back on put each app with the same settings as before

yet i still cant go more than 12 hours before i am below 10%

before the update i would take the thing off the charger at 6am and not plug it back in until the next evening at 11 pm (almost two days).

i down loaded Spare parts and it tells me ANDROID wont let it sleep. not a app its ANDROID i dont get it why?

Upvote 0
Ok,

*I calibrated the battery, twice
*i did a master rest of the phone and put no apps on it gave that a day
*but all the same apps back on put each app with the same settings as before

yet i still cant go more than 12 hours before i am below 10%

before the update i would take the thing off the charger at 6am and not plug it back in until the next evening at 11 pm (almost two days).

i down loaded Spare parts and it tells me ANDROID wont let it sleep. not a app its ANDROID i dont get it why?
Calibrate just makes the battery meter read properly - it only needs to be done once.

One of your apps is likely telling Android not to allow sleep. The app sets a non-sleep flag and is supposed to clear it when it is done. Some apps forget to cleanup.

Sometimes a widget is set to update automatically. If the updates happen too frequently the phone comes out of sleep to do the update and it hurts battery time.

When you first power on the phone wait for the screen to go off, wait a minute and press menu key. The screen should stay off, if not one of the apps that is set to run at startup is preventing sleep.

After using the phone wait a minute and check for sleep. If it is not sleeping, shutdown and restart. It is a bit of a trial to find out what apps are preventing sleep. For some reason 1.6 seems to have more sleep problems than 1.5 with some apps.

Also, when you are finished with an app use the back key to exit the app - you might have to press it multiple times to get back to home. After using the dialer use the back key to get back to home as well. Some apps continue to run in the background if you don't exit them.

Upvote 0
The update clears the phone's memory of the battery and how long it can last, so the phone builds a new memory of the battery's behavior on the first charge afterwards. so when you do an update like this, you should use it until it is dead afterwards, turn it off, charge it fully, use it til it's dead, turn it off, charge it fully again. then it should be good to go. mine used to struggle to get 10-12 hours. after each update (I've only done the two OTA updates) it has changed behavior. now I'm getting over 55 hours of use out of it, and that's including over 100 texts per day and a few short phone calls and sometimes almost an hour of phone usage, but that only kills the overall battery life by no more than 5-10%. no bluetooth, an occasional few minutes of wifi, no data, no gps.

Upvote 0
I will test this out tomorrow,

i remember when i first got the phone the stock calenadar widget had some glitch where it would keep the phone awake or partial wake. I deleted it for a day power cycled the phone and re-added the widget and all was good then.

if that isnt it i will try what your saying BirgDog and test an app a day.
also what your saying about the dialer could be it also, cause after a call i just hit the end/power key not the back.

BTW; a man that pays $225 for a phone should not have to do all this work just to get his phone to "barely acceptable" level. :mad:

Upvote 0
where can i find that info? all i can find is total time since boot?:thinking:

Download Spare Parts from the market and scroll through its battery info options, there's a lot of fun info in there!

BTW; a man that pays $225 for a phone should not have to do all this work just to get his phone to "barely acceptable" level. :mad:

First off, we're not dealing with phones anymore technically, these are pocket computers. and they are very complicated. I agree that dumbphones are generally easier to use, work much better, etc, but they don't carry the same capabilities with them. it's a bit of a stretch comparison, but think about a calculator and a computer--have you ever had to reinstall your calculator's OS or troubleshoot its software? nope. but a computer is so much more than just a calculating machine now. android phones are a similar idea. unfortunately, the cost/benefit ratio isn't quite as nice.

BUT, conditioning is something that should be done for all devices with Lithium Ion batteries. it's just that the effect is much less noticeable on devices that don't use as much power, and don't vary so drastically from minute to minute in their power consumption.

we're in the pioneering decade for this tech...it'll get better faster than we can imagine.

Upvote 0
First off, we're not dealing with phones anymore technically, these are pocket computers. and they are very complicated. I agree that dumbphones are generally easier to use, work much better, etc, but they don't carry the same capabilities with them. it's a bit of a stretch comparison, but think about a calculator and a computer--have you ever had to reinstall your calculator's OS or troubleshoot its software? nope. but a computer is so much more than just a calculating machine now. android phones are a similar idea. unfortunately, the cost/benefit ratio isn't quite as nice.

This is fair enough to a degree, but comparing this smartphone to other smartphones the battery life sucks, at least for a lot of us. It seems that people have very different experiences with the battery life - not sure why that is, but like culo I'm pretty annoyed by the hours and hours and hours I spend trying to get a charge to last a full day.

Upvote 0
DynamitePress,
I do have spare parts already and its awesome, it was the second thing downloaded when i got the phone. the fast animation thing makes the phone tolerable.

I do understand its a mini computer and its a phone too. but IT SHOULD BE A PHONE FIRST then a mini computer? you say "we're in the pioneering decade for this tech...it'll get better faster than we can imagine". yes and i agree but i think we are past the technology of having to "reboot" like a windows 95 machine, why does android need to do this?
Dont you think technology is supposed to make life easier and information faster?
my "smart" phone is really a dumb phone, i am the one who is actually getting smarter as i have to use my free time trudging through web pages to learn about how to fix things and get ti to work correctly.

i just want to turn on my phone make a call, check scores, weather, email, ect. all without needing to learn software programing to get my mail to sync. this technology is counter-intuitive, cant it just be simple?

oh wait its is Iphone! (if you hold it correctly, and dont need to make phone calls)

i do hope the machine to help with my raised blood pressure because of this isnt this type of technology.:mad:

Upvote 0
This is fair enough to a degree, but comparing this smartphone to other smartphones the battery life sucks, at least for a lot of us. It seems that people have very different experiences with the battery life - not sure why that is, but like culo I'm pretty annoyed by the hours and hours and hours I spend trying to get a charge to last a full day.

bugdog, isnt it sad we have to devote our time to trying to make a "smartphone" last until we get home. yet a blackberry can go on a charge for like a fricken week and its a "smartphone".

and to get an extra slap in the face the Behold has a AMOLED screen which is supposed to help battery drain.:thinking::eek:

Upvote 0
All good points above, but, I want to reiterate one thing . . .

Something has been changed
The behavior of MY phone prior to the 1.6 upgrade was pressing the menu key (or any of the keys on the left of the middle button) would NOT wake up the screen.
My girlfriends phone, post 1.6 upgrade does not wake up when you press the menu key (or those others) MINE NOW DOES.
So, her battery is as before, just fine, lasts a good two days between charges - MINE lasts about 5 hours now (used to be good for two days too)

So, plain and simple, this just sucks and now my phone is damn near unusable

WTF samdung, can you get ANYTHING right?

Upvote 0
@TMO_Rich,

Have you backed up your apps, done a master reset and then allowed the battery to drain? If not, then you need to. That's the advice I was given and it worked for me.

Do the above, allow the battery to drain, give it a full charge, then remove the battery, put it back in and then charge the battery for at least two more hours. That should solve the problem.

If the sleep problems continue after the master reset, delete apps one by one until you find the one that is no longer allowing your phone to sleep properly.

Upvote 0
I have done the battery conditioning I did when it was new and it didn't make any difference. I have not done a master reset as I read others had and it didn't help.
If that's what it takes then I will, but would like to hear other reports of this issue going away when a master reset is done.

Thanks for the advise, I will do it if it comes down to it.
I actually LIKE this phone, so that's why it's a drag

Upvote 0
It amazes me how people say they used to get at least 2 days off a charge. Before 1.6, I couldn't last 12 hours, and now I can barely last 8. Reconditioning the battery hasn't helped either, but I also have a sleep problem and can't seem to find the problem either.

Question: Does the program that prevents your phone from sleeping have to be running, or does it just have to be installed on your phone?

Upvote 0
It amazes me how people say they used to get at least 2 days off a charge. Before 1.6, I couldn't last 12 hours, and now I can barely last 8. Reconditioning the battery hasn't helped either, but I also have a sleep problem and can't seem to find the problem either.

Question: Does the program that prevents your phone from sleeping have to be running, or does it just have to be installed on your phone?

i get the 2 days+ on the bh_man's galaxy ROM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones