1 Click Root (2.1) --> Froyo w/out unrooting

Last Updated:

1. kentl901

kentl901 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm pretty much a noob since I have no clue what most of the acronyms stand for.

I do know that my X was rooted using the one click method when it was first posted. (No clue what SBF is...so I'm thinking I didn't do that)...

Anyway, I notice that my phone was about to auto update to Froyo for me, but I declined the update.

My concern is.. would my phone brick because the update was installed without unrooting my phone first? I just worried I wouldn't be able to intercept the update next time around...

I am interested in updating to Froyo, but I'm holding out for a simple root process without the whole command prompt business.

Thanks!!!

Advertisement
  2. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

it wont brick your phone. i believe i've read that if you move su from system/bin to xbin, you will keep root. but, dont quote me on that.

one thing i am sure of, being rooted wont brick your phone when you update.

3. topdj

topdj Well-Known Member

well I just moved the su file to the xbin and it appears I still lost root after update

4. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I don't know, but I don't think moving the file matters if you had the 1 click update. Here's my story. I had the 1 click update, like you. I updated to Froyo the minute it first came out. I lost root. OMJ (MOD) helped me with the new 1 step update. It's fairly easy. I am now rooted.

The steps are found here: Motorola Droid X Froyo Root Available Now; Here?s How You Do It [Motorola Droid X with Android 2.2 Can Be Rooted Too] TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities

Basically, you have to d/l and extract the sdk file (that's the android developer's file). It's a zip file so you have to extract it to the C:\ drive.

Then you have to d/l another file called doroot for windows and extract the contents to the "tools" subdirectory of the SDK file.

Easy enough. If you've already rooted your phone once, you probably already have the motorola drivers on your computer. I d/l it again anyway in case there was an update.

Just like when you 1 click rooted, you have to choose debugging in the development section of the applications settings.

(My little android debugging icon only showed up when I chose "charge only" on the USB connection pull down menu on the top. That's ok. You must have the icon though.)

go into the SDK file and click onto "doroot.bat" and boom. You're done.

(NOTE: My operation froze in the middle of the process, so I unplugged. The Dos box prompt then told me basically to plug back in, so I did and it finished the process. Somehow, it hung in the middle and needed a kick.)

That's it. It should work.

Please note, this worked for me and everyone else, but I am only giving advice and don't take any responsibility for bricking or any other troubles. :)

sund0wn likes this.
  5. kentl901

kentl901 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the heads up!

Will give it a whirl when I have some time.

6. neoxfl

neoxfl Active Member

Hi Steven58
    Can you please upload doroot.zip file. It seems the server is down. I am not able to download it. I am trying the windows method.
    Thanks

7. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Does one click allow you to unroot?

If so, you could have unrooted, installed Universal Androot (beta 5) and rooted, and upgraded w/o losing root.

8. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I'm sorry. I didn't see your request until after midnight. I can either email it to you or you can do a search for droid x root 2.2 and you'll find it all over the internet.

Again, sorry.