• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] [1-Click Root][MJ4] How to root Sprint Galaxy Note 3 WITHOUT tripping Knox!

iTzKPanda

AF's resident panda
Nov 10, 2011
Tampa, FL
Since a lot of Sprint Galaxy Note 3 owners are wanting to root their phones, but don't want to lose their warranty from tripping Knox, Kingoroot has a solution to that.

I've only tested this on firmware MJ4 (current Sprint firmware version as of 12/7/13). I have not tried with MI5, but I have read that it works. What you do with your phone is not my fault. :)

1. Setup your Galaxy Note 3 device drivers. This is necessary for your smartphone to be able to communicate with a PC. Installing drivers can also be done automatically by Kingo during the connecting process.

2. Enable USB Debugging on your smartphone. Almost all root tools require you to connect with USB Debugging enabled in order to make the tool work properly.

3. Download the latest version of Kingo Android root from here, and handle the installation.

4. Now launch the Kingo app from the desktop and you will get a command to connect your device.

5. Connect the Note 3 to the PC through the stock USB cable and wait for the app to recognize your device.

6. Once the device has been recognized, the app will show your device model number and root status.

7. Now hit the root button to start rooting.

kingo-android-root-app.jpg

8. Kingo will show a success message when there’s no error during the process. Your Sprint Galaxy Note 3 with MJ4 software should rooted now and you can verify it by using Titanium Backup.

For a list of apps/bloatware you can remove on the Note 3, here's a compiled list of apps from XDA:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2470862&highlight=remove

Credit: Kingoapp for the 1-click root and Andromods for the guide format.

On XDA there were a couple threads regarding kingoroot and the moderators closed the threads because XDA deemed Kingoroot insecure because there's a possibility it can take your phone's info (imei for example).

I looked around and I saw these threads:
Response from Kingo Support - xda-developers
Please Read If You've Used Kingo - xda-developers

The first one shows the reply Kingo made about the security of their program.
The latter is a thread with a potential fix.

Also, a moderator on XDA said that Kingo is working on a way to have their application to meet up to XDA's standards.

Edit: Apparently updating your SuperSU on the Play Store (for me, Kingo installed SuperSU 1.65 instead of the current 1.80) fixes the security issue. Supposedly

Upvote 0
On XDA there were a couple threads regarding kingoroot and the moderators closed the threads because XDA deemed Kingoroot insecure because there's a possibility it can take your phone's info (imei for example).

I looked around and I saw these threads:
Response from Kingo Support - xda-developers
Please Read If You've Used Kingo - xda-developers

The first one shows the reply Kingo made about the security of their program.
The latter is a thread with a potential fix.

Also, a moderator on XDA said that Kingo is working on a way to have their application to meet up to XDA's standards.

Edit: Apparently updating your SuperSU on the Play Store (for me, Kingo installed SuperSU 1.65 instead of the current 1.80) fixes the security issue. Supposedly

Thanks for looking all of that up. I used CF Autoroot and didn't have any issues but I'm also 0x1. I'm also using the pro version or whatever you want to call it of SU 1.8 so I guess this whole thing is a non issue for me.

Awesome write up. I hope more people go ahead and start rooting so the dev community will take off. It's been rather disappointing so far on this side of things.

Upvote 0
Have you seen this?

[SCRIPT/TOOL] kn0x0ut Toolbox - Install custom roms, mods + more and KEEP WARRANTY!!! - xda-developers

A tool to flash roms and such without a custom recovery.

Also, xda-developers - View Single Post - [SCRIPT/TOOL] kn0x0ut Toolbox - Install custom roms, mods + more and KEEP WARRANTY!!! The Dev has been inspired! :D

Curious, as I have not had any experience with rooted samsung phones,

Say I were to root using this method, and not go any further, say just install Supersu, Titanium backup and freeze and uninstall some stuff, maybe install the app that allows adding other apps to the s pen window. What if I want to go back to stock, would Kies3 allow me to do that, restore my system to stock?

Upvote 0
Have you seen this?

[SCRIPT/TOOL] kn0x0ut Toolbox - Install custom roms, mods + more and KEEP WARRANTY!!! - xda-developers

A tool to flash roms and such without a custom recovery.

Also, xda-developers - View Single Post - [SCRIPT/TOOL] kn0x0ut Toolbox - Install custom roms, mods + more and KEEP WARRANTY!!! The Dev has been inspired! :D

Curious, as I have not had any experience with rooted samsung phones,

Say I were to root using this method, and not go any further, say just install Supersu, Titanium backup and freeze and uninstall some stuff, maybe install the app that allows adding other apps to the s pen window. What if I want to go back to stock, would Kies3 allow me to do that, restore my system to stock?

That's awesome, I'm going to have to look into that when I get the chance.

And to unroot, I haven't personally used Kies to do so. Usually I used Desktop Odin to download the stock firmware onto my phone like this:
How to Unroot Galaxy Note 3! | GalaxyNote3Root.com

Whether or not that trips Knox is beyond me, but I think it wouldn't.

Upvote 0

It's ok to play around a little once you get rooted but until you install a custom recovery and get a few good backups done you run the risk of having to do a full install to fix your phone if you bootloop it. It's not a huge deal to do that but it can take a few hours depending on the customization level of your rom, but it is so much easier to just restore your last known good backup if (and when) you screw up your phone.

Once you get a good custom recovery like twrp on your phone you can play around as much as you like knowing you're only 5 minutes away from a working phone again. I always do a backup as soon as I get the phone set up and then I'll do more right before I flash things that I know are probably going to screw the phone up. I usually keep about 5 good nandroids on the sd card at all times just for security. Peace of mind can be a good thing.

Of course you have to be willing to blow your warranty to do this. It wasn't a huge issue to me.

Upvote 0
I wrote Kingo on their website. They say that they have already changed their software to where it does not collect IMEI info.

I could not help myself, lol, I did their root method today.

It was different than the write up and different than a youtube video I had seen. It kept waiting for the phone. I opened up the screen and google play had messages, 'Did I really want to load these dangerous apps', a couple of times. Once I said yes to them in went on through.

It actually said it failed the first time. I did it again and it succeeded. It did not trip Knox but does show up as custom in the System category of the Bootloader.

I updated the Superuser, installed Quickboot and Titanium Backup and Root Explorer. I also installed an S Pen window manager, which allows me to use apps that I choose with the S pen window, and bought an app that makes it where i can launch the window without using the S Pen.

So, all in all, I am happy! I can unroot it if I want, I have not tripped Knox. I have my root on!

I know that eventually i am going to end up going all in and installing a recovery and trying out some other roms eventually. Maybe, lol. Might want to play with that script I mentioned earlier. He is up to version 2 something and it is supposed to work well installing roms.

Also, there is a stock MJ4 flashable I can use with odin to go back to stock if I mess up. If I ever get myself to try it. :)

Upvote 0
I wrote Kingo on their website. They say that they have already changed their software to where it does not collect IMEI info.

I could not help myself, lol, I did their root method today.

So, all in all, I am happy! I can unroot it if I want, I have not tripped Knox. I have my root on!

Also, there is a stock MJ4 flashable I can use with odin to go back to stock if I mess up. If I ever get myself to try it. :)

Sorry to be paranoid, but I'm inching closer to doing this as well. Can you please confirm you were on a Sprint MJ4 prior to using Kingo? ...and that you're really Knox 00x0 after the process? I wished they had more clear version numbers in their downloads. It looks like 1.1.5 has been current since 11/28.

Thanks!

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
I totally understand. I'm the same way on this phone for some reason.

Yes to both of your questions. Only thing I noticed was that it says custom in System category, I think, on bootloader screen, instead of Official.

Saw a YouTube video by someone named josh, i think, that showed that could be reversed by unrooting, as well.

I had no prompts for some of the actions i had to take though. I had to turn on the screen and acknowledge and allow the adb connection and also confirm that I wanted to download a few files. Discovered this when i saw it sitting there waiting for phone for a while.

Not sure why my experience differed. Maybe because I started without USB debugging turned on? I had it on at one point , usually leave it on as some methods of salvaging a phone depend on it, from my understanding.

I'm not sure why I am so hesitant to dive into this phone, but I understand your caution.

Reactions: ogretech
Upvote 0
I totally understand. I'm the same way on this phone for some reason.

Yes to both of your questions. Only thing I noticed was that it says custom in System category, I think, on bootloader screen, instead of Official.

Saw a YouTube video by someone named josh, i think, that showed that could be reversed by unrooting, as well.

I had no prompts for some of the actions i had to take though. I had to turn on the screen and acknowledge and allow the adb connection and also confirm that I wanted to download a few files. Discovered this when i saw it sitting there waiting for phone for a while.

Not sure why my experience differed. Maybe because I started without USB debugging turned on? I had it on at one point , usually leave it on as some methods of salvaging a phone depend on it, from my understanding.

I'm not sure why I am so hesitant to dive into this phone, but I understand your caution.

Thanks for your reply. While I'm trying address all the possible places I could get bitten, could you tell me what version of Windows you used and if you were connected via USB 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 (if you know)?

Thanks!

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. While I'm trying address all the possible places I could get bitten, could you tell me what version of Windows you used and if you were connected via USB 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 (if you know)?

Thanks!

I am on Windows 7, I used a usb 2.0 port and the cable that came with the phone.

Like I said, I understand your concerns. :D

Upvote 0
That would seem to be the one I used then. It recognized my phone and that it was compatible before it went on and did it.

Now that I no longer care about blowing Knox, I really like how well Odin works, have you looked into that method at all?

It is too bad that it trips Knox, but having a recovery and a nand backup are worth their weight in gold... Ok, a little exaggeration, but not much. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones