• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ........1 Click Root Optimus m (Gingerbreak)..............

it seems that i might be having the same problem that MrZuitSuit and MrCrazyPh0enix might of had. I've installed GingerBreak 1.20, saved it to my CD card, installed, and pressed the "root device" button.

So far it's been at the same screen saying, "Rooting... Running exploit, this may take a few minutes..."

I was waiting for both members to post back, but they've seem to disappear =D

i'm just gonna turn my phone off... let's see what happens!

**EDIT**

i pressed the "home" button on my phone instead of turning it off and it seems that the rooting process has stopped; nothing seems to be changed or different about my phone. i opened the GingerBreak app again it looks like i'm back at square one as if nothing happened.

after all that i noticed that my SD card has been unmounted, all my pictures and videos are still on the card though.

Upvote 0
I seem to be having the same issue as one or 2 others (that seem to have disappeared too...)
I have an Optimus M (metropcs), backed up my sd card to computer, formatted it (tried using both the phone and the computer to format), have gingerbreak 1.2 downloaded to the phone, debugging on, sd mounted - the app spins FOREVER and says the usual "....will reboot when sucessful..." blah, blah. What am I doing wrong?
I've tried version 1.0 too, no luck, same thing.
Help please!!

Upvote 0
Do you think this would stop my phone from freezing?

And if I root it, would it null and void my warranty (30 days return policy for a refurbished phone at Metro PCS)?

Does the root make my phone run noticeably faster?

Is it common that the phone would "brick?"

No it doesn't stop the freezing up of the phone. LG is suppose to be offering a software update in the next couple weeks on their website which should fix that issue.

Yes the warranty will void. Though if you do the software update tool from the LG website it should restore the phone back and remove the superuser etc if you need to return the phone.

The root alone does not normally make the phone run faster. Though removing a lot of the junk apps (back up the stuff first) and a few other things will improve the phone for sure.

Between reading here and talking to friends who have used this, I have not heard of someone bricking their phone when they followed the directions. The risk is always present but the directions given and the help on the website truly minimize that.

Upvote 0
Well, it looks like I really screwed up. I used Gingerbreak 1.20 to root my phone, but I stupidly deleted the Metro browser so Android Market would not work. I tired to recover using your information, but Terminal Emulator could not find the flash. I finally went to LG and reflashed, and now the Gingerbreak Exploit will not work. Any ideas guys? Is there a new exploit out? Thanks, the exploit worked great the first time, rooting in only about 2 minutes. Now I've reformatted the sdcard, have usb debugging on, but the exploit just gets stuck, no root. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Well, it looks like I really screwed up. I used Gingerbreak 1.20 to root my phone, but I stupidly deleted the Metro browser so Android Market would not work. I tired to recover using your information, but Terminal Emulator could not find the flash. I finally went to LG and reflashed, and now the Gingerbreak Exploit will not work. Any ideas guys? Is there a new exploit out? Thanks, the exploit worked great the first time, rooting in only about 2 minutes. Now I've reformatted the sdcard, have usb debugging on, but the exploit just gets stuck, no root. Thanks!
You have the new update android version 2.2.2
At this time they do not seem to have a root for it, though my boost mobile galaxy prevail came with 2.2.2 stock and it is now rooted so there is hope for it.

You could try downgrading your phone back to 2.2.1 Instructions to downgrade to 2.2 were available you would do the same but use the 2.2.1

Reactions: mexjohn
Upvote 0
You have the new update android version 2.2.2
At this time they do not seem to have a root for it, though my boost mobile galaxy prevail came with 2.2.2 stock and it is now rooted so there is hope for it.

You could try downgrading your phone back to 2.2.1 Instructions to downgrade to 2.2 were available you would do the same but use the 2.2.1

I would do that in a heartbeat if I could fine the proper flash image and instructions. I'm a real noob to android and haven't done a lot of flashing, but I can do it. I just need the right files. The one in this post appears to be missing something as Emulator can not find the image on my sdcard. Thanks for your encouragement!

Upvote 0
Okay, I have joneidy's files for recovery, but since my phone is now not rooted, where would I find the steps to downgrade from 2.2.2 to 2.2.1? Can I just add the zip to my sdcard root and use the phone buttons to reflash, or must I do something else. Thanks so much for the patience you all seem to show to noobs! :D

Upvote 0
Okay, I have joneidy's files for recovery, but since my phone is now not rooted, where would I find the steps to downgrade from 2.2.2 to 2.2.1? Can I just add the zip to my sdcard root and use the phone buttons to reflash, or must I do something else. Thanks so much for the patience you all seem to show to noobs! :D
You will need to use LGNPST the instructions were around here, let me look and see if they are still.

ok found them, though you will have to find the files I dont have time to keep looking.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus...ssst-look-here-if-you-do-lol.html#post2105041

Reactions: mexjohn
Upvote 0
As the title says i have a galaxy tablet running cm7.
No issues with rooting. flashing, recovering etc.

But with this optimus M 2.2.1 is asbolutely kicking my rear end. I have read every post till my eyes bleed. and tried everyway i know how to root this phone. So obviously i am doing something completely idiotic and you bunch of eagle eyes can spot my mistakes a mile away.

I have uses 4shared.c*m to get GingerBreak-v1.20.apk
I have downloaded from this site and moved to the root of formatted SD card

I have let it spin and spin all night long last night. it has never rebootted by itself. I normally let spin at "Rooting" for 20 min just to be sure then reboot the phone. I do not see anything different and when i run teh app again the only option is to "Root" not "Unroot" so my belief is that i have been spinning my wheels here for quite awhile. I am using the program "astro" as a file manager. One thing i read was that the .apk has to be on the phone not the SD card to install. This i am unable to accomplish.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
One thing i read was that the .apk has to be on the phone not the SD card to install. This i am unable to accomplish.

Transfer the apk to the root of the sdcard, in other words, don't put it into any folder. Go to app market and get appinstaller free. It will read what is on your sdcard and let you install the apk. Make sure you have outside sources checked under "applications" on your phone or you can't install. Then you should be able to root. If you have a problem then, reformat the sdcard after you copy it to some known place so you can recover it, and try again. Go to settings, about phone and check the version to make sure you have not upgraded to 2.2.2. That's where I made one of my mistakes!
EDIT: for best results, reboot between root attempts as has been said before.

Reactions: keysdesease
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am very very new to all this and I am a bit lost. I followed the steps to root my phone and I have superuser installed in my lg optimus m but how do I get to remove apps now??:(:thinking:
I know...I suck...:D

Thanks for your help!

If you have the superuser, then I am going to assume that you are rooted.

Go download an explorer. I use "Root explorer". It is available in the market. If you are truly rooted then, you should be able to enable "r/w".

Open root explorer
Go to syeten (at very bottom)
Select "App"
Mount "r/w" (at top)
And do your thing.

Be very careful though...

Best thing you can do is pay attention to the posts about apps safe to remove.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Reactions: HaveNoClue
Upvote 0
If you have the superuser, then I am going to assume that you are rooted.

Go download an explorer. I use "Root explorer". It is available in the market. If you are truly rooted then, you should be able to enable "r/w".

Open root explorer
Go to syeten (at very bottom)
Select "App"
Mount "r/w" (at top)
And do your thing.

Be very careful though...

Best thing you can do is pay attention to the posts about apps safe to remove.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Thank you for the answer! I'll try that...
And what's BusyBox? I installed it but I don't know what it's for. I installed it and It's telling me that my phone is rooted. Then I use the Astro app to look into my files and I don't find the ones I want to erase. The same with ES File Explorer. Will it work if I download the App "Root Explorer(File manager) Speed software"? Or did I just unsuccessfully root my phone?:(

Thank you.

Upvote 0
When you open the file manager you should see a list of folders, they should be alphabetical you look for system then when you in there look for app.

However got to ask instead of going through all the work to remove apps why not instead download a custom rom, all the crap will not be there and the roms are much better, and more stable.
Sense rom is a fan favorite, though I like teamchickeneater myself.

Upvote 0
When you open the file manager you should see a list of folders, they should be alphabetical you look for system then when you in there look for app.

However got to ask instead of going through all the work to remove apps why not instead download a custom rom, all the crap will not be there and the roms are much better, and more stable.

I totally agree here. I think its just one of those learning steps. Although, if I had to do it all again, I probably wouldn't. LOL. Custom rom is def. the way to go! I have the sense rom and I love it! :)

Also, if you want to continue being adventurous, feel free to keep the questions going. Pm me if necessary.

Upvote 0

I totally agree here. I think its just one of those learning steps. Although, if I had to do it all again, I probably wouldn't. LOL. Custom rom is def. the way to go! I have the sense rom and I love it! :)

HaveNoIdea;
I you still want to continue being adventurous, feel free to keep the questions going. Pm me if necessary. You have to be careful. Trust me, I screwed up a couple of times. Lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones